Shopify Employee Reviews about "guru"

Updated Oct 29, 2021

Found 63 of over 1,718 reviews

4.3
Shopify CEO Tobias Lütke
Tobias Lütke
1,098 Ratings
Pros
  • "Shopify is like a university in itself; a gigantic learning hub for anyone that wants to(in 134 reviews)

• "Flexible work hours and good work from home support(in 94 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Shopify is not scared to shift priorities or change project focus if there’s clear signals to do so(in 120 reviews)

• "Entry level (Guru) is an incredibly stressful job(in 54 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

What people are saying about Shopify

Join the conversation on

Tech

210.7K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.ca&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Employer-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Shopify~675933
    Join the conversation on

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Shopify and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "guru"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Shopify is one of the best companies to work at

Dec 14, 2020 - Workforce Management Specialist in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Education, I started as a guru/customer support specialist and was put through a rigorous 8-week training course with many others before even starting the job. - Benefits - Stock - Culture - Remote work - I really connected with the mission and I love everything technical and being at Shopify was one of the best decisions I've ever made because now I know how to run a remote, e-commerce/SASS company.

Cons

The pay is generally less than other top tech companies due to how amazing the company is to work at, people have a hard time leaving!

Be the first to find this review helpful

Social Care

Hello, there! Thank you for sharing your experience. We are so happy to hear that you’ve had such a positive experience working at Shopify. Knowledge at Shopify is important, so having a thorough training process makes such a beneficial difference when one prepares for a new role. We are so lucky to have great benefits and amazing perks here at Shopify. It’s important for employees to be able to thrive in their work environment and feel appreciated in their position. To touch on pay; salaries are consistently reviewed at Shopify to make sure they are competitive with the current market. Our Talent team regularly assess roles within the company to ensure that all compensation is meeting the current market value and industry standard. Again, thank you for sharing your feedback!

2. 3.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Stressful Company to work for ( Stay Away)

Mar 6, 2021 - Customer Success Guru - Remote in Brampton, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits, Training and Co-workers were good. Company leaders are good

Cons

Stressful Managers, have to meet quotas and lack of break time. Plus little room for improvement since there are so many gurus

4 people found this review helpful
    3. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Terrible place to work

Feb 23, 2021 - Remote Shopify Guru in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits were good especially considering I left on mental health leave

Cons

Terrible toxic work environment, do not apply to be a Guru

10 people found this review helpful
    4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

This is the most forward thinking company on planet earth. And I'm thrilled to be part of the ride.

Jun 10, 2020 - Marketing in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

I was hired into the company exactly one month after graduating college. Shopify was the only company I applied to after graduation, as I refused to try my hand anywhere else until I got my firm "no" from their recruiters. They were ranked as the best company in Canada of 2017, and I had really high hopes for myself. For whatever reason, I made it through the Google-esque hiring process, which felt more like a chat with an old friend than an interview at an A1 tech company. I started out as a support guru, and slowly worked my way up the support ranks over the next two years. The Guru role is very much of that of a fancy call center, with levels of business coaching peppered in. It's a tough job, but it's compensated extremely fairly for the work. I'm one of those people who "made it" from support to an internal role of the company, and it was a hell of a journey. Support took a toll on me, and I was eager to show the company how much more I was capable of. It took a couple years, but I like to think they recognize hard workers when they see one. I now work internally, and can honestly say this job was worth the two-year wait. Our benefits are incredible, or pay is competitive, and the company's vision is something I can truly get behind. I'd do it all again in a heartbeat.

Cons

A few years ago, it would be common to work your way up from a support guru to anywhere within the organization. As the company has grown exponentially, increased competition has made internal movement exponentially more difficult- but absolutely not impossible. If you're willing to put in the work, the time, and the passion here, you will get recognized. You just have to work harder and smarter than everyone around you. If you identify a need internally that you are uniquely suited to fill, it's not unheard of to create your own job. In fact, I'd say it's encouraged.

10 people found this review helpful

Social Care

Hi, thanks so much for being so open here. It sounds like we’re a perfect match; you had your heart set on working here and it looks like we were pretty impressed with you too! During the hiring process, our Life Story sessions are designed to be just that - a chat about your life. If it was the Support Advisor role you initially interviewed for, the Life Story is an important part; you’ll be having genuine interactions with merchants on a daily basis, so it’s good to get a feel of how your personality comes through! It’s also a great chance for you to see how you like our team and ask us any questions you like. The Support Advisor role is not intended to be a ‘stepping stone’ to other roles within the company. The knowledge and experience you will get in this role are invaluable, and essential to helping our merchants in the long term. That being said, if you do want to build your career in a different part of Shopify, the Support Advisor role is a great place to start! The skills you learn there will be transferable no matter where you go within Shopify. When hiring for a position, candidates showing initiative and creative thinking is always a plus; essentially, someone who took something and made it better. While hard work is definitely rewarded, you will never be expected to work longer hours than your schedule or bring extra stress to yourself. We take mental health very seriously, and would not encourage anyone to push themselves beyond their limits in order to apply for a different position. We’ve also added Career Pathing to your resources in the internal support pages (Vault) so that it is now easier to focus a role you love and the process of transition into it is much more transparent. I’m so glad you find your current role so rewarding, Thank you again for the review!

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Fantastic company

Jun 10, 2020 - Theme Specialist in Victoria, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

You work from home. The commute is amazing The benefits package is great, and you get it on Employment Day 1 (for full time employees). Leadership is always learning and growing with their employees. They don't always get it right, but they're willing to learn from their mistakes.

Cons

Entry level (Guru) is an incredibly stressful job. It will take all of your spoons. Progressing in the company is not as easy as it used to be (because the company is so much bigger). Our racial diversity needs a lot of work.

1 person found this review helpful

Social Care

Hey, thank you so much for leaving a review! Our perks and benefits package is something we’re proud to offer our employees as soon as they start; what better way to hit the ground running! You’ve mentioned you’ve been here for more than 3 years, so I’m sure you’re used to hearing these values: thrive on change and be a constant learner. These values are something we look for in employees but also ask from our leadership team. This means that if current processes or workflows are not working, they will be re-evaluated and adapted to fit the current needs. This is a company made up of talented and creative individuals, so everyone’s feedback must be heard so we can create the best working environment! Career opportunities in the past were sometimes difficult to identify or find, which is also feedback we have acted upon. Our internal support team has worked together to create internal support pages that show all employees a clear and easy way they can progress in their Shopify careers. The Career Pathing Guide will show you where you currently are, where you’d like to go, and how you can get there! This means there is a huge amount of transparency around how to progress to different roles. I’d also like to touch on your final point: racial diversity. Racial diversity is an organizational imperative at Shopify and we have launched several different initiatives to both increase diversity and foster a greater sense of belonging. We have Employer Resource Groups, which are groups of employees that form based on a shared identity like race and ethnicity, gender, abilities, or sexual orientation, and help elevate the voices and experiences of their respective communities. Belonging Connectors, who are a diverse group of volunteers whose aim is to be a confidential resource for their fellow Shopify employees (during tough situations and learning moments) while supporting the work of the Diversity & Belonging team. If you get the chance, I’d recommend checking out the Belonging and Diversity section in our internal pages to see the full range of initiatives! I find the ‘Real Talk’ panel discussions to be the most engaging, as it is a space for Shopifolk to deepen their empathy by listening to others in an open discussion. Thank you again for leaving a review and allowing us a space to discuss the topics you’ve raised!

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Fantastic company to work for

Jan 29, 2020 - Data Scientist in Ottawa, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Great growth opportunities, and opportunities to mentor and be mentored - Lots of freedom, people treat each other like adults - Fantastic culture, open and transparent, anyone can question decisions - I get to work with smart, nice people every day on interesting problems - The company really cares about getting better

Cons

- The experiences that gurus have seems to be very different from that of RnD/ other disciplines. - Things change quickly, you have to get used to that

Be the first to find this review helpful
    7. 2.0

Not What You Think

Dec 17, 2019 - Customer Success Guru - Remote in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

The benefits are pretty good, they are very customizable. You get 5000 every year in a Lifestyle spending account, dedicated to improving your health eg. shoes, canoe, etc. Th benefits are what are keeping me from leaving right now.

Cons

Initial Observations: I was actually very excited to work for Shopify, I thought it would be a good opportunity for me to elevate my skills and try a new field, but it didn't really go as planned. I realized very early that, Guru's are not paid nearly as much as they deserve - considering the amount of work that we do. Your bi-weekly pay will be around 1,250 (if you are working in Ontario). I know some may be like, “thats not bad, why the complaints," it’s really hard to explain exactly what the job entails, because of how much I do - I would be writing an essay, but I know for sure it is definitely not enough. Training Experience: I was part of a training pilot which was only 4 weeks long. Usually, training for Guru's is 6 weeks, but they shorted it to 4 for my team, as a “test.” I believe this really negatively impacted me as a Guru, not only in terms of preparedness when I hit live channels, but also what was expected of me in my role. During training, it was a constant race against time. My trainer was always rushing, always cutting things short or giving us unreasonable deadlines because there wasn't enough time to truly go through all the content. I found myself skimming through the Bridge Courses (course readings) because there was simply never enough time to fully read through them. At times, this resulted in me having to spend 2-4 hours completing tasks that were suppose to be done in training, on my own time after work. Which isn't really ideal nor is it fair. Furthermore, you only have a few days to learn how to navigate 3 chats at once. This may sound like "oh a fews days, not bad" but in reality it requires a lot more time/practice, it not as easy as it seems, it is actually very stressful. The questions in chats, can be extremely complex considering how dynamic the platform is. You are also required to take notes for every ticket, reach out to live channels, and do follow-up emails, while simultaneously trying to solve the problem. Most of the questions I have received in chats, I did not learning training, it required my own research during the live chat. Furthermore, another common rumour about Shopify is that is it easy to move up. During training, you have various people from different teams that chat to you about how they moved up to different teams. One thing they all have in common is that they “started as guru’s, just like you.” I can’t even begin to explain how many times I heard that phrase. Actually, it is not that easy to move up. I witnessed members of my team (who have been there 3-4 years) mentioning they would love to move to other teams - eg. Risk or Theme Support. They would ask about steps and how they can reach their goals. Squad Leads and trainers, literally say “Master the Guru role first.” Which to some degree I understand, how can you move on to another role is you haven’t mastered your current role. The thing is though, you can never really “master the Guru role,” you can never know everything about the Guru role because of how dynamic the role is. Instead, it’s really based on who you know and how likeable you are. It really depends on your Squad Lead, they stand between you and your goal. Management Attitudes/Guidance: As the weeks began to draw closer to my time to hit live channels solo, I became extremely anxious, I knew I wasn’t ready and I felt extremely unprepared. I was struggling in my mentored chats, and also just struggling with what my role was and how to answer merchant questions. It was not only me who felt this way. I remember a peer on my training team, literally saying in a video call, “I do not feel prepared, there are a lot of Guru horror stories about this feeling, how do I navigate this, how can you guys help me?” Our lead, completely dodged the question. The answer was, “all starting guru’s feel this way,” and he later sent her a video on how to manage stress. That is the problem with Shopify. They do not take Guru concerns seriously or at all. I was feeling burnout during my training and I am still feeling it now as a regular Guru, and no one actually addresses this issue head on. Instead, they glaze over it with comments like, “everyone feels this way,” “you’re not managing your stress properly,” “maybe this isn’t the job for you,” “you’re not being resourceful enough,” THIS IS NOT OKAY. By doing this, Shopify is taking accountability off of themselves, and placing on the Guru, this is extremely dismissive, toxic, and not an appropriate way to address/solve concerns. This type of dismissive behaviour, has really had a negative impact on my mental health. I know that the employer comment to this is going to be something like, “Surprised to hear this, we take our employee’s mental health seriously, we try to provide the best training and support, blah blah blah,” I know this is what you believe in and strive for, but it is not actually how it manifests. I am constantly feeling like I am not good enough at my job, that this job isn’t for me, that my feelings aren’t valid, that my stress is my own fault. It wasn’t until recently that I realized, these are all things I heard from Shopify Leads, as a way to shift accountability and not actually address issues within the structure of the Guru role. The feelings Guru’s are having, speak more to the training/support not being as effective as it should be, it is not solely the Guru.

23 people found this review helpful
    8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

A company that cares deeply about both its employees and customers - a rare find!

Dec 18, 2019 - Solutions Engineer in Ottawa, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

1. Amazing Talent: The people that work at Shopify are world-class at what they do, which makes learning from their experience a massive perk. The “Don’t be an asshole” mantra is something everyone lives by, eliminating a lot of the toxicity of other workplaces I’ve been a part of 2. Growth Mindset: Shopify preaches the growth mindset from Tobi down to the frontlines, but they definitely also put their money where their mouth is. You can “Own your own development” and attend whatever relevant conferences you want, make book/workshop/online course investments, take dedicated study time to level-up (perhaps during meeting-free Wednesday) 3. Lifestyle Perks: From the free restaurant-quality breakfast and lunches, to the beer and kombucha on tap, to the spending accounts for fitness, travel, etc. Shopify constantly makes you love being at work and a part of the Shopify team. 4. Exec Team: Shopify’s executives are just very smart, logical and pragmatic people. From the regular townhalls they hold to answer ANY question that comes up and is voted on by employees, to the “default to open” mentality of corporate information, you don’t feel as though you’re working in an opaque corporation as is too often the case with most tech companies nowadays.

Cons

1. Startup Quirks: Shopify is very much so still a start-up in many ways. Not all processes are well defined, and who owns certain components can be hard to track down. But this also means things aren’t super rigid and bureaucratic. Personally a lot of this I’d still consider a pro, but I didn’t have much else to write here. 2. Internal Movements: Shopify does love promoting people internally, but there are definitely some times when being internal hurts. Usually, if you’re a Guru, since the demand to get a non-support role is so large. There are also very significant compensation discrepancies for internal hires vs external ones, which can suck for people getting promoted.

3 people found this review helpful
    9. 3.0
      Former Employee

Fair Company, great perks and awesome team members

Nov 20, 2019 - Customer Success Guru - Remote
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Great benefits, from dental/ medical - Offer personal development time and encourage you to learn more and improve your professional and personal skills - Awesome interactions with various team members from all over the world - Great opportunities to network within the company - Can create your own websites and play around. You'll know the inside tips and tricks and can have a higher chance of making things work online than a first time website creator - You'll get Shopify shares when joining which will be fully transferred to you over a period of 3+ years. This is great as Shopify is doing very well on stock markets - You will be given $5k/ year to either use for lifestyle expenses, RRSP, charity & 1 more. - You get paid OT if you sign up for it - You get a certain amount of days off a year, in addition to personal days

Cons

- You will be dealing with customers who are reaching out only when something is wrong. Nobody really contacts customer care to show their appreciation. Dealing with negativity on a near daily basis can be very depressing - Dealing with angry customers on phone calls, especially for new gurus. Some people just want something for free - and this can be very wearing mentally - Many days you will work past your work hours catching up with mails, you don't get paid OT for this - Your schedule always changes, in terms of days of the week. There are rotations, your hours are fixed, but you could be working Saturday/ Sundays for a while, then perhaps Tuesdays/ Thursdays would be off etc. - If you're stuck with a team lead who you don't gel with, or team members that may rub you up the wrong way, you're in for it

7 people found this review helpful
    10. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Recent Guru

Nov 12, 2019 - Customer Success Guru - Remote in Ottawa, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Being able to work from home

Cons

Unbelievable expectations from gurus. It is always expanding and covers all aspects of the front facing business. Includes trouble shooting, coaching and SALES WHICH THEY TRY TO DISGUISE. The pay is in no way aligned with the work required. You are contantly micromanaged by less than competent managers and get hammered for stepping away from your computer for a minute. 30-minute lunch break! What??? Unless I'm ordering takeout every day, it doesn't work. They expect you to have fast internet, but don't pay for it?? Expect you to be reachable by the slack app on your cell phone but don't cover your plan or phone???? Supremely unprofessional and use all the colorful language you can think of, which is endorsed by corporate because I guess they're hip? Everybody you meet talks about how they moved up from being a guru into whatever role they are in now. YA OK, when there were 100 employees that's bound to happen, not when there's 10000. This also results in incompetence all across.

13 people found this review helpful