Shopify Employee Reviews about "great benefits"

Updated Nov 22, 2020

4.3
Shopify CEO Tobias Lütke
Tobias Lütke
Pros
  • "You work from home which is best decision I ever made as well as helping the planet(in 64 reviews)

• "Get to work from home, great benefits(in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • "The experiences that gurus have seems to be very different from that of RnD/ other disciplines(in 28 reviews)

• "Higher ups preach "work/life harmony" (work/life balance) but you'll get side eye if you try to leave the office before 5 on a Friday(in 18 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "great benefits"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great friendly and welcoming company"

Former Employee - Front of House Coordinator in Ottawa, ON

I worked at Shopify full-time

Pros

Great benefits clear structure and teams rec services

Cons

work can be tedious but is expected

December 11, 2020Social Care

Hi, there! Thank you for posting here, we love getting feedback! We do pride ourselves on the benefits and compensation packages we offer, they are competitive by design and reflect the market standards. To have the greatest impact and to keep your interest in your work alive, we'd recommend spending time identifying gaps in your skills and knowledge and develop them. Strike a balance between learning to optimize your current skill set, and learning to mitigate or improve your weaknesses. If you aim to be curious enough to learn something new every day, you will definitely stay engaged in your work. Thank you again for the review, and best of luck in the future!

2. "Great company"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Current Employee - Fraud/Risk Analyst

I have been working at Shopify full-time

Pros

Great benefits, great culture, avant gardist mindset

Cons

First line leaders lack experience Lack of work life balance Not much room for upper mobility

December 11, 2020Social Care

Hey, there! Our leadership team have listened to feedback on career opportunities, and have worked together to show all employees a clear and easy way they can progress in their Shopify careers. There is a Career Pathing Guide available on our internal support pages! This means there is a huge amount of transparency around how to progress to different roles. Every single one of us influences the environment here through our everyday actions and interactions. Therefore, we all own culture. We embrace being multicultural and celebrate the differences that occur naturally within teams, departments, locations, and projects. We see this diversity as a strength! An Avant Gardist mindset is a great way to describe how we approach our challenges; we make it our goal to change and adapt to the needs of our merchants by finding new and creative ways to solve problems. Thank you again for leaving a review, it's very much appreciated!

3. "Amazing Company to work in"

Current Employee - Technical Support Advisor in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at Shopify full-time for more than a year

Pros

Multi Culture Company, Great Benefits, Support Employees, Remote work

Cons

I have been more than 1 year in Shopify and i only see positive things from the team and everyone.

December 3, 2020Support Specialist

Hi there, thank you for taking the time to submit a review. We are so happy to hear about your positive experience with both the company and your team. Wishing you further success in the coming year.

4. "Pretty good for the most part"

4.0
    Former Employee - Remote Guru in Edmonton, AB

I worked at Shopify full-time for less than a year

Pros

remote, good pay, great benefits, equipment provided

Cons

mentally draining, hard to separate work from home

December 8, 2020Social Care

Hey, there! The Support Advisor role can be tough at times; each merchant you engage with is unique and the solutions we provide for them must be tailored to their needs. This can take a lot of work! We take mental health very seriously at Shopify, it's vital that you feel happy and healthy, and that your work environment is safe and secure. We have a fully fleshed out self-help section in our internal help pages (our Vault) where you can read about how to combat Burnout, Breaking, Imposter Syndrome, and several other stressors. I notice in your review you mention you're a former employee, but you can still provide some feedback to our team if you have some suggestions! You could send us an email detailing your top feedback points, from there we will be able to get it in front of the right people: https://bit.ly/2ICKkCX. Adding 'Glassdoor' as the subject link of the email will ensure we can find your email faster. Your health will always come first! I'm glad to hear you found the compensation and benefits package to be such a positive point, this is something we pride ourselves on. Thank you again for the review, it's really appreciated!

"50/50 Chance you'll end up with a great leader versus wildly inadequate leader"

Former Employee - Customer Success Guru - Remote in Vancouver, BC
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Shopify full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay to start, great benefits, expense account

Cons

Many of the leadership were promoted out of necessity and weren't fit to lead. Lots of double standards in what they believe versus what they expect of employees. Didn't receive any support from upper management when it was needed.

October 29, 2020Social Care

Hi, thank you for sharing your experience here. Over the past few years, our internal teams have doubled in size and even now continue to grow. As with all of our internal moves, we want to provide an opportunity to stretch! Through the 2019 Engagement Initiative, we held “Lead Labs” to help level up and create support networks across Support Leadership. This program is currently being offered to support leads throughout the company. I’m sorry to hear that you did not get the support you needed while you were here! I'd be happy to look into this with you further if you like. Please do feel free to reach out via our support lines: (https://bit.ly/2ICKkCX) so you will have a formal ticket our internal support team could review. I'm glad to hear there were some positives from your time with us; our compensation package and benefits are one of the best in the industry. It's great to hear this was a positive point for you! Thank you again for taking the time to leave a review, best of luck in the future.

"This company saved my life"

Former Employee - Support Team

I worked at Shopify full-time for more than a year

Pros

Starts at a decent living wage, great benefits and perks, great growth oriented culture, mission/vision is clear. Learn a lot, fast. Great training - they’ll educate you on how to handle client “baggage”, imposter syndrome, burnout, and business. Subjects that most companies will not address. Colleagues are great, easy to make friends with everyone. The company is open to challenges and feedback, and values honesty and transparency. Depending on the shifts or teams you work for, there can be quite a bit of autonomy. Company invests in their employees growth.

Cons

High-paced environment, not suitable or sustainable for all employees. Can lead to burnout if you’re not taking good care of yourself.

August 26, 2020Social Care

Hey, thank you for leaving such a kind review! It's truly amazing to hear how working with us has had such a positive impact on your life. We feel it's important to be set up for success right from the beginning; we are merchant obsessed here, so it's essential for our Support Team to be given the right tools and training to be able to help our merchants as best they can. Our merchants depend on us to invent products that allow them to support their livelihoods. Making sure you are properly equipped to deal with any problem they are faced with is crucial to their success. Because change is constant, we need everyone to be a perpetual and deliberate learner. Deliberate learners acquire new information or experience a new concept or skill, practice it, and self reflect. This can, at times, be a fast-paced environment which (as you mentioned) is not suited to everyone. Which is totally fine! We expect everyone to do their work to the best of their abilities, and if they feel they need a helping hand, that's where your team comes in. You can reach out to your Squad Lead or HR advisors to chat if you start to feel your workload creeping up on you. And don't forget to take advantage of your personal days! I can absolutely pass your feedback along to our management team. There is already a system in place to make sure our management team are aware of the stressors and pain points of the day to day workloads, as well as any other issues that may arise. Usually, during weekly Team Times or 1:1 meetings, your Squad Lead will ask for feedback or check up on how you're doing. You can always reach out outside of those times too! That feedback is then taken to Time & Geo Leads to discuss further. I can bring your advice to the team here to see if it's possible to allow more transparency on the process though! Just so everyone knows their feedback is taken seriously. Thank you again for taking the time to leave a review, it is really appreciated!

"Care more about stats than customer which is disappointing."

2.0
    Former Employee - Customer Success Guru in Kelowna, BC
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Shopify full-time for less than a year

Pros

They have very great benefits.

Cons

My manager got mad at me because my time in between calls was a minute longer than other people. It was pointed out that I finish my calls 6 minutes quicker than the rest of my team so I should just keep the customer on the line for an extra minute while I take notes so that my stats look better. This is from a company that "doesn't care about stats". I gave my notice after that because I don't want to take a customers time up just to make my stats better. It's sad because they seem like a good company but that just screams caring more about stats and bottom line than customers.

"Great benefits, decent pay, tough job, no path to advance either."

4.0
    Current Employee - Customer Success Guru in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Shopify full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits, decent pay. Overall great company with a great mission. Get to chat with and help insanely talented entrepreneurs, artists and businesses on a daily basis. Annual retreats. Get to be part of a great brand that is growing like crazy. Opportunity to build your own business while employed.

Cons

Limited opportunities for advancement. Insanely competitive for what opportunities there are. Little constructive feedback to action for advancement. No clear guidelines for advancing in the company. Company line is always, “just be better at your current job”, even if you are already top tier performer. Intense multitasking for hours on end. Management very focused on smiley ratings from customers, but no way to dispute ratings based on circumstances beyond your control, like service outages, or policy changes. Excessive performance metrics. Sales targets, which are never called sales targets. Typically your workday on the day you start the job and your workday 2-3 years later will be identical. No variation in tasks or responsibilities, leads to very stagnant growth and desperate competition for advancement.

Continue reading

"Fair Company, great perks and awesome team members"

Former Employee - Customer Success Guru - Remote

I worked at Shopify full-time

Pros

- Great benefits, from dental/ medical - Offer personal development time and encourage you to learn more and improve your professional and personal skills - Awesome interactions with various team members from all over the world - Great opportunities to network within the company - Can create your own websites and play around. You'll know the inside tips and tricks and can have a higher chance of making things work online than a first time website creator - You'll get Shopify shares when joining which will be fully transferred to you over a period of 3+ years. This is great as Shopify is doing very well on stock markets - You will be given $5k/ year to either use for lifestyle expenses, RRSP, charity & 1 more. - You get paid OT if you sign up for it - You get a certain amount of days off a year, in addition to personal days

Cons

- You will be dealing with customers who are reaching out only when something is wrong. Nobody really contacts customer care to show their appreciation. Dealing with negativity on a near daily basis can be very depressing - Dealing with angry customers on phone calls, especially for new gurus. Some people just want something for free - and this can be very wearing mentally - Many days you will work past your work hours catching up with mails, you don't get paid OT for this - Your schedule always changes, in terms of days of the week. There are rotations, your hours are fixed, but you could be working Saturday/ Sundays for a while, then perhaps Tuesdays/ Thursdays would be off etc. - If you're stuck with a team lead who you don't gel with, or team members that may rub you up the wrong way, you're in for it

Continue reading
  10. "Good place to start"

Former Employee - Customer Success Guru

I worked at Shopify full-time

Pros

great benefits, good work culture, learn a lot about running a business,

Cons

Have to deal with rude customers, always being watched, gets too busy, feel like a robot sometimes

Viewing 1 - 10 of 47 English Reviews