Shopify Employee Reviews about "great benefits"

Updated Nov 22, 2020

Found 47 of over 1,092 reviews

4.3
Shopify CEO Tobias Lütke
Tobias Lütke
Pros
  • "Flexible work hours and good work from home support(in 67 reviews)

• "Get to work from home, great benefits(in 47 reviews)

• Cons
  • "The experiences that gurus have seems to be very different from that of RnD/ other disciplines(in 28 reviews)

• "Higher ups preach "work/life harmony" (work/life balance) but you'll get side eye if you try to leave the office before 5 on a Friday(in 18 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "great benefits"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee

Great friendly and welcoming company

Nov 2, 2020 - Front of House Coordinator in Ottawa, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits clear structure and teams rec services

Cons

work can be tedious but is expected

Social Care

Hi, there! Thank you for posting here, we love getting feedback! We do pride ourselves on the benefits and compensation packages we offer, they are competitive by design and reflect the market standards. To have the greatest impact and to keep your interest in your work alive, we'd recommend spending time identifying gaps in your skills and knowledge and develop them. Strike a balance between learning to optimize your current skill set, and learning to mitigate or improve your weaknesses. If you aim to be curious enough to learn something new every day, you will definitely stay engaged in your work. Thank you again for the review, and best of luck in the future!

2. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

This company saved my life

May 6, 2020 - Support Team
      Business Outlook

Pros

Starts at a decent living wage, great benefits and perks, great growth oriented culture, mission/vision is clear. Learn a lot, fast. Great training - they’ll educate you on how to handle client “baggage”, imposter syndrome, burnout, and business. Subjects that most companies will not address. Colleagues are great, easy to make friends with everyone. The company is open to challenges and feedback, and values honesty and transparency. Depending on the shifts or teams you work for, there can be quite a bit of autonomy. Company invests in their employees growth.

Cons

High-paced environment, not suitable or sustainable for all employees. Can lead to burnout if you’re not taking good care of yourself.

2 people found this review helpful

Social Care

Hey, thank you for leaving such a kind review! It's truly amazing to hear how working with us has had such a positive impact on your life. We feel it's important to be set up for success right from the beginning; we are merchant obsessed here, so it's essential for our Support Team to be given the right tools and training to be able to help our merchants as best they can. Our merchants depend on us to invent products that allow them to support their livelihoods. Making sure you are properly equipped to deal with any problem they are faced with is crucial to their success. Because change is constant, we need everyone to be a perpetual and deliberate learner. Deliberate learners acquire new information or experience a new concept or skill, practice it, and self reflect. This can, at times, be a fast-paced environment which (as you mentioned) is not suited to everyone. Which is totally fine! We expect everyone to do their work to the best of their abilities, and if they feel they need a helping hand, that's where your team comes in. You can reach out to your Squad Lead or HR advisors to chat if you start to feel your workload creeping up on you. And don't forget to take advantage of your personal days! I can absolutely pass your feedback along to our management team. There is already a system in place to make sure our management team are aware of the stressors and pain points of the day to day workloads, as well as any other issues that may arise. Usually, during weekly Team Times or 1:1 meetings, your Squad Lead will ask for feedback or check up on how you're doing. You can always reach out outside of those times too! That feedback is then taken to Time & Geo Leads to discuss further. I can bring your advice to the team here to see if it's possible to allow more transparency on the process though! Just so everyone knows their feedback is taken seriously. Thank you again for taking the time to leave a review, it is really appreciated!

3. 5.0

Amazing Company to work in

Sep 1, 2020 - Technical Support Advisor in Ottawa, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Multi Culture Company, Great Benefits, Support Employees, Remote work

Cons

I have been more than 1 year in Shopify and i only see positive things from the team and everyone.

Support Specialist

Hi there, thank you for taking the time to submit a review. We are so happy to hear about your positive experience with both the company and your team. Wishing you further success in the coming year.

4. 3.0
      Current Employee

Great company

Nov 22, 2020 - Fraud/Risk Analyst
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits, great culture, avant gardist mindset

Cons

First line leaders lack experience Lack of work life balance Not much room for upper mobility

Social Care

Hey, there! Our leadership team have listened to feedback on career opportunities, and have worked together to show all employees a clear and easy way they can progress in their Shopify careers. There is a Career Pathing Guide available on our internal support pages! This means there is a huge amount of transparency around how to progress to different roles. Every single one of us influences the environment here through our everyday actions and interactions. Therefore, we all own culture. We embrace being multicultural and celebrate the differences that occur naturally within teams, departments, locations, and projects. We see this diversity as a strength! An Avant Gardist mindset is a great way to describe how we approach our challenges; we make it our goal to change and adapt to the needs of our merchants by finding new and creative ways to solve problems. Thank you again for leaving a review, it's very much appreciated!

5. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Shopify is not taking employee burnout seriously

Oct 23, 2019 - Customer Success Guru - Remote in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits and working from home is ideal. A lot of really nice people work at this company.

Cons

The guru role is expanding all the time and it is almost impossible to keep up. Management is just not listening and I've been here for 2 years and can see they are not listening. Burn out is frequent and real, and with only 10 sick days a year allowed, you end up taking days off and not getting paid for them if you go over those 10 days. The work load of the role has increased 100% but the salary definitely has not kept pace with that. 30 minute lunches and being micro managed is really frustrating. Shopify says they trust us and we are adults, but they micro manage guru's and watch our every move - even bathroom breaks! Steer clear of this role if you are thinking of this company.

18 people found this review helpful
    6. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

50/50 Chance you'll end up with a great leader versus wildly inadequate leader

Jul 11, 2020 - Customer Success Guru - Remote in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good pay to start, great benefits, expense account

Cons

Many of the leadership were promoted out of necessity and weren't fit to lead. Lots of double standards in what they believe versus what they expect of employees. Didn't receive any support from upper management when it was needed.

8 people found this review helpful

Social Care

Hi, thank you for sharing your experience here. Over the past few years, our internal teams have doubled in size and even now continue to grow. As with all of our internal moves, we want to provide an opportunity to stretch! Through the 2019 Engagement Initiative, we held “Lead Labs” to help level up and create support networks across Support Leadership. This program is currently being offered to support leads throughout the company. I’m sorry to hear that you did not get the support you needed while you were here! I'd be happy to look into this with you further if you like. Please do feel free to reach out via our support lines: (https://bit.ly/2ICKkCX) so you will have a formal ticket our internal support team could review. I'm glad to hear there were some positives from your time with us; our compensation package and benefits are one of the best in the industry. It's great to hear this was a positive point for you! Thank you again for taking the time to leave a review, best of luck in the future.

7. 4.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Pretty good for the most part

Sep 15, 2020 - Remote Guru in Edmonton, AB
      Business Outlook

Pros

remote, good pay, great benefits, equipment provided

Cons

mentally draining, hard to separate work from home

Social Care

Hey, there! The Support Advisor role can be tough at times; each merchant you engage with is unique and the solutions we provide for them must be tailored to their needs. This can take a lot of work! We take mental health very seriously at Shopify, it's vital that you feel happy and healthy, and that your work environment is safe and secure. We have a fully fleshed out self-help section in our internal help pages (our Vault) where you can read about how to combat Burnout, Breaking, Imposter Syndrome, and several other stressors. I notice in your review you mention you're a former employee, but you can still provide some feedback to our team if you have some suggestions! You could send us an email detailing your top feedback points, from there we will be able to get it in front of the right people: https://bit.ly/2ICKkCX. Adding 'Glassdoor' as the subject link of the email will ensure we can find your email faster. Your health will always come first! I'm glad to hear you found the compensation and benefits package to be such a positive point, this is something we pride ourselves on. Thank you again for the review, it's really appreciated!

8. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Past its hayday

May 22, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great product. Great CEO that is truly looking to increase global entrepreneurism through his company. Very nice people, some exceptionally bright and creative. Great benefits.

Cons

Nepotism and politics are ripe, and unfortunately management is mostly blind to it. Lots of unqualified people in very senior roles, which trickles down to mid-level roles and then onwards to individual contributors. It's very hard to find a team of true A-players. A lot of the standout A-players have either left, mysteriously disappeared (or got fired?) or find themselves in high management roles that are not suited to them. My biggest worry is that management is blind to the amount of politics cause they're getting what they want to hear from incompetent subordinates. The stock price is definitely a lagging indicator of the quality of the company, and is more a reflection of its haydays a couple of years ago. Salary is slightly below market these days because they haven't revised their salary bands in some time - at least for product development roles.

15 people found this review helpful
    9. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Care more about stats than customer which is disappointing.

Jan 12, 2020 - Customer Success Guru in Kelowna, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

They have very great benefits.

Cons

My manager got mad at me because my time in between calls was a minute longer than other people. It was pointed out that I finish my calls 6 minutes quicker than the rest of my team so I should just keep the customer on the line for an extra minute while I take notes so that my stats look better. This is from a company that "doesn't care about stats". I gave my notice after that because I don't want to take a customers time up just to make my stats better. It's sad because they seem like a good company but that just screams caring more about stats and bottom line than customers.

9 people found this review helpful
    10. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great benefits, decent pay, tough job, no path to advance either.

Nov 6, 2019 - Customer Success Guru in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits, decent pay. Overall great company with a great mission. Get to chat with and help insanely talented entrepreneurs, artists and businesses on a daily basis. Annual retreats. Get to be part of a great brand that is growing like crazy. Opportunity to build your own business while employed.

Cons

Limited opportunities for advancement. Insanely competitive for what opportunities there are. Little constructive feedback to action for advancement. No clear guidelines for advancing in the company. Company line is always, “just be better at your current job”, even if you are already top tier performer. Intense multitasking for hours on end. Management very focused on smiley ratings from customers, but no way to dispute ratings based on circumstances beyond your control, like service outages, or policy changes. Excessive performance metrics. Sales targets, which are never called sales targets. Typically your workday on the day you start the job and your workday 2-3 years later will be identical. No variation in tasks or responsibilities, leads to very stagnant growth and desperate competition for advancement.

10 people found this review helpful