Cover image for Shopify

3.7
Shopify CEO Tobias Lütke
Tobias Lütke
1,292 Ratings
Pros
  • "Flexible work hours and good work from home support(in 94 reviews)

• "work life balance make commerce better(in 59 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Work from home can be hard as well for work life balance(in 33 reviews)

• "Not everyone loves working from home(in 33 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

What people are saying about Shopify

Join the conversation on

Tech

628.5K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Employer-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Shopify~675933
    Join the conversation on

Got a burning question about Shopify? Just ask!

On Fishbowl, you can share insights and advice anonymously with Shopify employees and get real answers from people on the inside.

What's Fishbowl
    Ask a Question

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Shopify and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0

Good Company

Jan. 30, 2023 - Sales Development Representative (SDR) in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

The company thrives on change

Cons

There is a lot of change

1 person found this review helpful
    2. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Solid place to work with conflicting values

Jan. 30, 2023 - Program Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Remote, Mission Driven, Good product

Cons

SLT and Exec team are in a bit of disfunction. Culture hasn't figured itself out since 2020

1 person found this review helpful
    3. Join the Shopify team
      See Our Latest Jobs
    4. 5.0
      Current Employee

Software dev

Jan. 25, 2023 - Software Developer L4 in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great company to work at

Cons

None that I can think of

5. 5.0
      Current Employee

very good place to grow

Jan. 24, 2023 - QA Specialist
      Business Outlook

Pros

great culture and space to grow

Cons

i don't think there is con

6. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great perks and benefits but...

Jan. 31, 2023 - Support Advisor
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Lots of coverage for extended health insurance - Lifestyle spending account - free merch when there's events (or special occasions like Christmas) - Budget to buy a desk, chair, accessories for your home office - Can expense a certain amount of meal/groceries per month at the discretion of your team lead - Can expense self-development materials (if approved by your team lead) - 10 days of paid personal time and 15 days of paid vacation time (some of your vacation time carries over to the next year if you have any leftovers) - You get to meet and discover so many merchants that sell interesting products or have created their business out of their likes and hobbies - Work from home - You can create a test store or a business store with no monthly fees

Cons

- You may get a team lead that may not be a great match for you (I was previously in a different team and got moved, and I've been feeling I'm not as supported by my new team lead) - Unpaid personal time and vacation time are not supported. Once you're out, you're out. - Way too many expectations for this role. Certainly doable when you're on phones or emails, but when you're on chats (which is 90% of the time), you're expected to juggle 3 chats once, check in with each of them every 2-3 minutes, offer business advice/suggestions on top of troubleshooting their problems, etc. - You only get 30 minutes of lunch. I get that we're working from home and most of us can just go to the kitchen to grab lunch, but that's far from enough to recharge yourself after non-stop chat/phone interactions. - Speaking of lunch, depending on the rotation, you may sometimes find yourself in chats for 4+ hours before you get to take your lunch. Even then, some chats may go over and push your lunch later. - You get an hour or two per week for "personal development" to work on anything you want to work on for your own personal developement, but with the way queues have been since, most if not all of us in this role are using this time to clear tickets from our personal queues since we're expected to respond to each ticket with 24-48 hours - My team lead says Shopify is "metric-informed" and not "metric-focused", but honestly, with the way KPIs are shoved in our faces every week, it sure feels very metric-focused - Speaking of metrics, we can take a maximum of 10 minutes break per task block, but they also encourage you NOT to take it unless you need to take a breather, need to go to the washroom, grab water, etc. because it affects your own and your team's adherence. - Currently have so many burnt out support advisors (including myself) because there's not enough of us to assist 300+ merchants that are waiting in our queues every day - Toxic positivity. They expect us to empathize with merchants who may come in with a "baggage", but when I reached out to my current team lead about how my mental health has been affecting my physical health as well, I'm only "reminded" of the wellness resources that we have available to us. - You need to go through at least one "impact review" before you can look into moving teams within and outside your current department

3 people found this review helpful
    7. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Drank the Kool-aid but slowly losing it's effect

Jan. 5, 2023 - Customer Support Advisor
      Business Outlook

Pros

Personally, I love the culture and the product itself! Everyone is friendly and super open to chat/mentor you if you reach out. I really did want to stay at the company so bad because it is super cool but Support is not the vibe The benefits, spending account and other perks such as free food/swag has been reallllly nice (but this is also a con because they should use that money to pay higher salaries) Saying you worked at a large tech company Gaining troubleshooting skills and good customer service skills Being familiar with a cool product and getting to create a free store My team lead is really supportive but not everyone may have the same experience

Cons

*cracks knuckles* here we go I joined Shopify as a very high achieving, motivated individual who LOVED the company and thousands of tickets later, I'm almost broken. As a Support Advisor, you are expected to take minimal breaks for operational efficiency, manage 3 chats on top of reaching out to escalated teams, offer merchant success/products, respond to each merchant within 3 minutes + 3 minute or less chat wrap ups for your notes.. oh and also you only get 30 minutes for lunch. Lunch goes by so fast that sometimes it feels just as stressful as being on my computer during my shift I pushed through the first 9 months doing really well, felt like I was creating impact, and excelling - only to realize that I'm most likely not going to be leaving my Support Advisor position for long long time. The layoffs have slowed internal hiring and also I just feel so burnt out. They expect you to demonstrate your impact on the company on top of a very exhausting role in order to be noticed or move up in the company. At first, I was so eager to do this - I worked hours after work and took on more initiative with my team to be noticed and receive a positive/high positive impact but it has not paid off at all. It also fosters a culture of toxic positivity, where you have to be excited about your role, and upbeat in order to get promoted but really you are just suffering in silence and not able to truly shoot the s**t about Shopify I've been struggling with my mental health for the whole Fall season as the demand on chats/phones has been extraordinarily high. I have been even taking unpaid time off to take care of my mental health. If you take off too much unpaid time however, this will be viewed negatively as you are not fulfilling your role and it's not operationally effective. Again, It's all about "mental health, work-life-balance" but that only applies if you are not in Support. Support is expected to have "resiliency" to push through, work until 7 pm, and still provide excellent customer service. Support gets underpaid but is the backbone of the company. My biggest pet peeve is the praise that Shopify gets for offering unlimited PTO, or a nice long break over the holidays but this only applies to every other team but Support. I drank the Kool-Aid for a really long time, but now I'm done with it and they're losing talented people everyday because we're are so understaffed in Support.

15 people found this review helpful
    8. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great experience

Jan. 21, 2023 - Dev Degree in Ottawa, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture and lots of variety in work amongst different teams.

Cons

Required to work fully remote.

9. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Decent pay, but minimal raises

Jan. 20, 2023 - Senior Support Specialist in Ottawa, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

$5000 spending account for healthy lifestyle items Remote work

Cons

Raises are very minimal like 1-2% annually. You have to be in your same position for like at least 9 months before you can apply for a higher positioon

10. 4.0
      Former Employee

Good place to work

Jan. 18, 2023 - Onboarding Technician
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pro's were certainly the speed and the action of the working environment. If something needed to be done then we had very little in the way of stopping us from doing it.

Cons

The personal environment changed when the switch was made to go remote. Working remote has a tremendous amount of benefit, but I think it was actioned to quickly and in a panic, and it lead to some negatives from the employee perspective.

11. 4.0
      Former Employee

notbad

Jan. 19, 2023 - Support Advisor in Edmonton, AB
      Business Outlook

Pros

good people in the organization

Cons

poor management in the groups

Viewing 1 - 10 of 1,996 Reviews
    </>Embed

Shopify Reviews FAQs

Shopify has an overall rating of 3.7 out of 5, based on over 2,294 reviews left anonymously by employees. 67% of employees would recommend working at Shopify to a friend and 59% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -13% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Shopify employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.7 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Shopify. This rating has decreased by -10% over the last 12 months.

67% of Shopify employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Shopify 3.9 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.8 for culture and values and 3.7 for career opportunities.

Popular Careers with Shopify Job Seekers