Shopify Reviews

Tobias Lütke
  1. "Good Opportunity"

Former Employee - Customer Success Guru

I worked at Shopify full-time

Pros

Great company to work for.

Cons

Did not have any downside

"hard to grow, good perks"

Former Employee - Software Developer

I worked at Shopify full-time

Pros

great perks (gifts, salaries, events) and work life balance - can log off after 5pm

Cons

Not the best place to grow. measuring your success more based on output rather than solving problems. Things are all over the place, projects don't even have PMs, and the projects you're working on could even get scrapped. Too many changes within the org hard to keep track of. Sucks that all your growth is dependent on your lead, if you get a mean lead, good luck getting a promotion. not much diversity. Could get stuck fixing accessibility issues all day.

3. "Great company, get on board"

Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Shopify full-time

Pros

Great opportunity for professional growth. Leadership is fully committed to vision. Awesome benefits.

Cons

Work hours can be long. Some weekends mixed in.

4. "Exciting space"

4.0
    Current Employee - Dev Lead

I have been working at Shopify full-time

Pros

Lots of great talent, great leadership

Cons

The technology and teams are monolithic and slow moving

5. "great"

Former Employee - Market Analyst

I worked at Shopify part-time

Pros

nice people to work with

Cons

passive about work-related items then aggressive

6. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Shopify full-time

Pros

High care environment with incredible people

Cons

Stressful. Constant changes and tight deadlines.

"A life-changing place to work"

Current Employee - Support Lead

I have been working at Shopify full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The biggest pro to me is doing work that matters. There's a very real, shared connection to the company's mission among Shopifolk that is incredibly motivating. There's so much opportunity to make a real impact, and after coming from another very large tech company, it's so refreshing that there's real collaboration across teams and disciplines that I've never seen elsewhere. The Talent team also goes WAY above and beyond for employees. Throughout Covid we've been given so many incredible perks (like Fridays off all summer, a very generous expense allowance for creating a comfortable workspace at home, and much more). Working at Shopify has pushed me to grow in ways that no other job has and I'm really thankful for it. For those of us who lean into that growth, the rewards are pretty amazing.

Cons

Being surrounded by so many incredible people can definitely lend to imposter syndrome (this isn't necessarily a con but can be a real challenge), things move FAST and if you wait around for people to hold your hand and and spoon feed you information you'll get left behind quickly (resourcefulness and using available context is highly valued), the office closing for all of 2021 was a huge letdown but of course I understand given the circumstances

Continue reading
  8. "Great"

Current Employee - Support Advisor in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at Shopify full-time

Pros

They offer great pay - amazing!

Cons

No cons that I can think of

January 19, 2021Support Specialist

Hello! Thanks so much for taking the time to submit a review. Shopify strives to stay competitive and salaries are consistently reviewed to ensure they remain as such. I'm so glad you're happy here! Thanks again for your review.

9. "Amazing company to work for"

Former Employee - Support Advisor in Vilnius

I worked at Shopify full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

As an employer, Shopify almost has it all. You'll get to work with really the best professionals (and people!) in their field, friendly and open by default internally company culture. You'll get to work with various exciting and industry leading products on a mission which makes the world a better place. For all of this you will get a competitive salary, amazing benefits and perks, stock options. No question, one of the best companies to work for. The support advisor role is not your usual monotonous role - you'll be talking with entrepreneurs every day, helping them to build and run their businesses so every day you get to learn something new not only about Shopify itself but also about running an online store. A specific time in your Support Advisor work day will be dedicated to working on your own initiatives and projects. Shopify is fairly flexible and really does have a great work-life balance. However, no matter in which city or role you're working, it is expected that your performance will improve every year, there is no slacking off. In Shopify, people seriously come to work & get things done.

Cons

As of 2020 Shopify is all digital by default which means that everyone is working from home. For some it might be a con. Also, career opportunities are limited for those in support. However, with Shopify becoming a remote company when physical locations and timezones don't matter as much, this might be changing in the future.

January 12, 2021Support Specialist

Hello! Thanks so much for taking the time to submit such a thoughtful review. It's fantastic to hear that you've had such a positive experience all around. As a Support Advisor, no two days are the same which always keeps things interesting and engaging. Shopify does lean heavily into the work-life balance and this really helped support the decision to move to Digital by Default. Defaulting to digital means that a significant number of our people have moved to work from home, likely permanently. One of the benefits of Defaulting to Digital is being able to continue to seek and hire the best talent around the globe, unconstrained by physical locations. You're absolutely right that this is the groundwork of change for the future. I would like to mention that support careers aren't limited and the room for growth remains the same, if not more accessible now. Thanks again for your thoughts! Wishing you all the best for 2021 and beyond.

10. "Freedom isn't always easy"

Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Shopify full-time

Pros

Lots of freedom how to shape your day

Cons

You have to find your own path

January 12, 2021Support Specialist

Hello and thank you for taking the time to submit a review. It's great to read that you've enjoyed shaping your workday in your role with Shopify. I do hear what you're saying about the challenge of finding your own path and would encourage you to look into our Career Pathing Guide that's available to you on our internal support pages. You'll find this to be a helpful tool for a clear and easy way to shape your path and progress within the company. Thanks again for your thoughts and feedback and I wish you all the best on your path forward.

Viewing 11 - 20 of 667 English Reviews