Shopify Guru (Remote) Reviews

1. "Fantastic company"

5.0
    Former Employee - Customer Success Guru - Remote

I worked at Shopify full-time

Pros

Great company overall. Plenty of benefits.

Cons

None that I can really think of.

2. "Overall great company"

Former Employee - Remote Shopify Guru in Ottawa, ON

I worked at Shopify full-time

Pros

Awesome salary and perks (Lifestyle spending account, Health and Dental Insurance), great coworkers, remote, very diverse and welcoming

Cons

Need more support for new hires especially during their mentoring

"Stressful Company to work for ( Stay Away)"

Current Employee - Customer Success Guru - Remote in Brampton, ON

I have been working at Shopify full-time for less than a year

Pros

Benefits, Training and Co-workers were good. Company leaders are good

Cons

Stressful Managers, have to meet quotas and lack of break time. Plus little room for improvement since there are so many gurus

Continue reading

"Fun if you drink the Kool Aid"

Former Employee - Remote Shopify Guru in Toronto, ON

I worked at Shopify full-time

Pros

Benefits are nice, occasional gifts and bonuses are good.

Cons

Dreadfully racist, and extremely unrealistic expectations for employee productivity for everyone who isn't making 60k+.

"Terrible place to work"

1.0
    Former Employee - Remote Shopify Guru in Toronto, ON

I worked at Shopify full-time for less than a year

Pros

Benefits were good especially considering I left on mental health leave

Cons

Terrible toxic work environment, do not apply to be a Guru

Continue reading
  6. "Pretty good for the most part"

Former Employee - Remote Guru in Edmonton, AB

I worked at Shopify full-time for less than a year

Pros

remote, good pay, great benefits, equipment provided

Cons

mentally draining, hard to separate work from home

December 8, 2020Social Care

Hey, there! The Support Advisor role can be tough at times; each merchant you engage with is unique and the solutions we provide for them must be tailored to their needs. This can take a lot of work! We take mental health very seriously at Shopify, it's vital that you feel happy and healthy, and that your work environment is safe and secure. We have a fully fleshed out self-help section in our internal help pages (our Vault) where you can read about how to combat Burnout, Breaking, Imposter Syndrome, and several other stressors. I notice in your review you mention you're a former employee, but you can still provide some feedback to our team if you have some suggestions! You could send us an email detailing your top feedback points, from there we will be able to get it in front of the right people: https://bit.ly/2ICKkCX. Adding 'Glassdoor' as the subject link of the email will ensure we can find your email faster. Your health will always come first! I'm glad to hear you found the compensation and benefits package to be such a positive point, this is something we pride ourselves on. Thank you again for the review, it's really appreciated!

"Okay place to work overall"

Former Employee - Customer Success Guru - Remote in Toronto, ON

I worked at Shopify full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You work with a lot of great people and are able to develop a lot of great relationships. Overall benefits are great, working from home is great.

Cons

Limited growth opportunities in support, stricter vacation guidelines compared to the rest of the company, remote culture is different from the culture in office, it's a high and fast paced environment so if it's something that you aren't used to - it may cause you anxiety.

November 10, 2020Social Care

Hi, thank you for leaving a review! Career opportunities were at times difficult to identify or find. This is feedback we have acted upon! Our support team has worked together to create internal help pages that show all employees a clear and easy way they can progress in their Shopify careers. The Career Pathing Guide shows you where you currently are, where you’d like to go, and how you can get there. This means there is a huge amount of transparency around how to progress to different roles. The recent shift to Digital by Default has had a huge impact on our culture. As the majority of office employees are now also remote, we've adapted to make sure everyone feels connected. Our Events team have worked hard to create virtual meetups, guest speaker sessions, and even live music events, all online! The benefit of thriving on change is that teams like the Events team can pivot quickly to online-only meetups; which is fast becoming the new normal. We do move at a fast pace as a team which, understandably, does not suit everyone. To give the best product to our merchants, we need to change as fast as commerce is can; this means challenging ourselves to do better, questioning the best way to get things done, and constantly learning new information. Thrive on change is one of our cultural keystones here! It's so great to hear you've created some lasting relationships with your co-workers. We aim to hire like-minded, creative individuals here, friendships are bound to be struck up when those people get together! We truly believe in creating a business that is impactful, and you’ll have limited impact if you act alone: the best products come from a mix of ideas, experiences, and perspectives. Thank you again for the review and for allowing the space for discussion!

8. "Amazing benefits and good salary"

Former Employee - Remote Shopify Guru in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Shopify full-time for less than a year

Pros

Amazing benefits, great starting salary, supportive work environment

Cons

High stress and pressure, you have to work weekends on a rotating basis

9. "Good culture and benefits, no room for growth"

Former Employee - Customer Success Guru - Remote in Toronto, ON

I worked at Shopify full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great company culture, awesome above and beyond benefits.

Cons

Role became more sales based than service which led to more micromanaging. Also, everyone made it seem like there was lots of room for growth but that was far from the truth.

December 2, 2020Social Care

Hi, there! Thanks for the review. I'm sorry to hear you felt as if the nature of your role had changed, I can understand how that would be disheartening! In support, we need to make sure a merchant who asks for our help is getting the best assistance they can. This can sometimes mean advising them to move to a higher tiered plan to get the features they need to make their business successful. At times, we would also advise moving to a lower-tiered plan if they have just started their store, or are running a smaller business! I can understand how this can be interpreted as more sales based work, but it's not what we are aiming for: it's all about making sure the merchant is getting the best support possible. Career opportunities in the past were sometimes difficult to identify or find, which is feedback we have acted upon. Our internal support team has worked together to create internal support pages that show all employees a clear and easy way they can progress in their Shopify careers. The Career Pathing Guide will show you where you currently are, where you’d like to go, and how you can get there! This means there is a huge amount of transparency around how to progress to different roles. It's great to hear that you enjoyed our company culture and our benefits, these are things we pride ourselves on. Thank you again for the review, and best of luck in the future!

"50/50 Chance you'll end up with a great leader versus wildly inadequate leader"

Former Employee - Customer Success Guru - Remote in Vancouver, BC
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Shopify full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay to start, great benefits, expense account

Cons

Many of the leadership were promoted out of necessity and weren't fit to lead. Lots of double standards in what they believe versus what they expect of employees. Didn't receive any support from upper management when it was needed.

October 29, 2020Social Care

Hi, thank you for sharing your experience here. Over the past few years, our internal teams have doubled in size and even now continue to grow. As with all of our internal moves, we want to provide an opportunity to stretch! Through the 2019 Engagement Initiative, we held “Lead Labs” to help level up and create support networks across Support Leadership. This program is currently being offered to support leads throughout the company. I’m sorry to hear that you did not get the support you needed while you were here! I'd be happy to look into this with you further if you like. Please do feel free to reach out via our support lines: (https://bit.ly/2ICKkCX) so you will have a formal ticket our internal support team could review. I'm glad to hear there were some positives from your time with us; our compensation package and benefits are one of the best in the industry. It's great to hear this was a positive point for you! Thank you again for taking the time to leave a review, best of luck in the future.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 67 Reviews