ShopKeep Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

ShopKeep Reviews

Updated Jan 16, 2020

ShopKeep CEO Michael DeSimone (no image)
Michael DeSimone
Pros
  • "Snacks in kitchen, a few catered lunches per month, cold brew on tap, Mac laptop to use when employed there, decent benefits, 401k(in 14 reviews)

• "Product that really makes a difference in the success of small businesses(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "customer care does not have in resources or training to do their job)(in 15 reviews)

• "Growing pains, Turnover, Some unhappy employees(in 9 reviews)

"High turnover meatgrinder"

I have been working at ShopKeep full-time

Pros

Compensation was recently bumped up, bringing it from far below the median to slightly below. Unlimited PTO is a great benefit. It's the only reason many of us are still here. Several people in Customer Care have managed to move horizontally to other positions.

Cons

Don't be fooled by the attempt to place the veneer of a progressive startup culture or a dynamic, 21st century support team over this thing. ShopKeep Customer Care is little more than an old-fashioned call center. Volume is overwhelming, burnout is rampant. Training is rudimentary. Turnover is staggering. Workload is crushing. Morale is abysmal. Our strategy is based around average handle time, so we rush customers off the phone at all costs and absolutely minimize followup. This leads to a vicious cycle of neverending callbacks over unaddressed issues. There are draconian attendance policies. There are also policies for automatic warnings and termination if you accidentally give out the wrong info on the phone. There is creepy unannounced call monitoring. Our idea of workforce management is to appoint some advisors to roles where they do little more than harass other advisors to cut followup and take more calls. Zero trust in the team. We suck at staffing and our systems prevent us from getting even the basics done for customers, so they are always angry at us. Our daily tools are laughably outdated and inefficient. We use salesforce to do technical support, and we spend a lot of time copying from one part of it and pasting into another. Inflexible 1980s-style procedures create mountains of pointless busywork for everyone. This isn't just "growing pains." A rotten culture of hierarchical behind-covering and thoughtless rigidity has infected the DNA of the team. If you're a career call center drone with zero initiative looking to stagger on to the next endless slog, ShopKeep Customer Care has sadly become just the place for you. If you're conscientious, inquisitive and and into doing good work, avoid at all costs.

Advice to Management

Seems unfixable at this point, so my advice would simply be to prepare for the business consequences of all this.

ShopKeep2015-09-12
  2. "AMAZING COMPANY!!!!"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at ShopKeep full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Very cool culture, very nice people and amazing office. Great work-life balance as well. They take really good care of their employees and provide terrific benefits so I am really happy working here. I strongly recommend anyone to join us!!! The management and co-workers here are awesome, this will be a great place to retire from.

Cons

No disadvantages I can think of that would deter anyone from not wanting to check this company out.

ShopKeep2020-01-16
  3. "Great Company: lots of flexibility and perks"

Current Employee - Payment Specialist

I have been working at ShopKeep full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There are a lot of great benefits including the people you work with, PTO policy, schedule flexibility, 401K matching and room to grow.

Cons

As a tech company you need to be able to shift and adapt quickly which isn't for everyone.

ShopKeep2020-01-16
  4. "Love the People I Work With!"

I have been working at ShopKeep full-time for more than a year

Pros

Able to change roles from a Customer Care Agent to a Payment Specialist. The people I work with are all great and it makes coming into work easy. Once a week catered lunch and snacks and drinks are available at all times. Also the flexibility to work remotely from home and an understanding Manager who also works hard makes me lucky to be a Payment Specialist at Shopkeep.

Cons

Short notice when a new update or third party integration is going to be released.

Advice to Management

Better training and preparation especially for Customer Care and Sales to ensure merchants are given the same accurate information and their accounts are handled correctly.

ShopKeep2020-01-16
  5. "Flexible, Fun and Friendly!"

Current Employee - Payment Specialist

I have been working at ShopKeep full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Schedule is very flexible - Great people to work with - Very accommodating to catered lunches and snacks/drinks in the office - Laid back work environment

Cons

- Implement a longer, extensive training for either customer care advisors or account executives

ShopKeep2020-01-16
  6. "Great growth opportunity!"

I have been working at ShopKeep full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company provides you great benefits and medical plans. I love the people I work with and the management team is very responsive to guide you and support you throughout your learning process. And can't complain about the catered lunch and free massages and the gym amenity!

Cons

Our salary could be more competitive, other than that - I'm happy.

Advice to Management

The training procedure could be more hands-on. And we could add an opportunity to shadow other departments' workflow to help to understand the timelines and the procedures of each work task.

7. "Amazing Company!"

I have been working at ShopKeep full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very lax environment, Catered lunches AND breakfast, Ability to work remote if the need arises, Great benefits (health, vision, dental etc)

Cons

As a growing company, business is booming and at times the work load can be overwhelming.

"Great Place to be"

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at ShopKeep full-time for more than a year

Pros

Loved my time here. Great people, job is redundant but overall a fantastic experience.

Cons

Healthier snacks in the office.

Advice to Management

N/A

ShopKeep2019-12-23
  9. "Great Company, Great Mission"

I worked at ShopKeep full-time

Pros

Waking up every morning to help small businesses thrive is wonderful.

Cons

There are no major cons.

ShopKeep2019-12-11
  10. "Good People Poor Management"

Current Employee - Customer Care Associate in Skokie, IL

I have been working at ShopKeep full-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible schedule, generous overtime, paid for meals.

Cons

Little room for growth, low pay, confusing management tactics

Advice to Management

Employees are poorly compensated. Updates to the system are made without telling customer care in advance. There is no training on updates (need to learn about things when there are issues brought to attention from merchants).

ShopKeep2019-12-20