ShopKeep Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

ShopKeep Reviews

Updated Nov 5, 2019

3.1
ShopKeep CEO Michael DeSimone (no image)
Michael DeSimone
Pros
  • "Snacks in kitchen, a few catered lunches per month, cold brew on tap, Mac laptop to use when employed there, decent benefits, 401k(in 14 reviews)

• "The product is good and cheap for new small businesses(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "customer care does not have in resources or training to do their job)(in 15 reviews)

• "Growing pains, Turnover, Some unhappy employees(in 9 reviews)

"High turnover meatgrinder"

I have been working at ShopKeep full-time

Pros

Compensation was recently bumped up, bringing it from far below the median to slightly below. Unlimited PTO is a great benefit. It's the only reason many of us are still here. Several people in Customer Care have managed to move horizontally to other positions.

Cons

Don't be fooled by the attempt to place the veneer of a progressive startup culture or a dynamic, 21st century support team over this thing. ShopKeep Customer Care is little more than an old-fashioned call center. Volume is overwhelming, burnout is rampant. Training is rudimentary. Turnover is staggering. Workload is crushing. Morale is abysmal. Our strategy is based around average handle time, so we rush customers... off the phone at all costs and absolutely minimize followup. This leads to a vicious cycle of neverending callbacks over unaddressed issues. There are draconian attendance policies. There are also policies for automatic warnings and termination if you accidentally give out the wrong info on the phone. There is creepy unannounced call monitoring. Our idea of workforce management is to appoint some advisors to roles where they do little more than harass other advisors to cut followup and take more calls. Zero trust in the team. We suck at staffing and our systems prevent us from getting even the basics done for customers, so they are always angry at us. Our daily tools are laughably outdated and inefficient. We use salesforce to do technical support, and we spend a lot of time copying from one part of it and pasting into another. Inflexible 1980s-style procedures create mountains of pointless busywork for everyone. This isn't just "growing pains." A rotten culture of hierarchical behind-covering and thoughtless rigidity has infected the DNA of the team. If you're a career call center drone with zero initiative looking to stagger on to the next endless slog, ShopKeep Customer Care has sadly become just the place for you. If you're conscientious, inquisitive and and into doing good work, avoid at all costs.

Advice to Management

Seems unfixable at this point, so my advice would simply be to prepare for the business consequences of all this.

ShopKeep2015-09-12

"Great place to start career"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at ShopKeep full-time for more than a year

Pros

I loved my time at Shopkeep! It was a great place to work and other reps were very friendly and inviting.

Cons

Training could be longer to ensure reps knew the product from the start.

Advice to Management

N.A

ShopKeep2019-10-29

"A true software product company & great place to work!"

Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I have been working at ShopKeep full-time for less than a year

Pros

Cutting edge technology and application stack, full Agile/Scrum teams and proper collaborative development across NY & Belfast, not order takers like some FDI's in the N.Ireland technology space. Great working environment, with the best perks I have seen anywhere 2nd to none. Knowledgable people in both locations, focused on delivering value for our merchants.

Cons

No major downside to working here.

Advice to Management

Keep talking to and respecting your people as you have done to date.

ShopKeep2019-10-08

"A great place to work"

Current Employee - Director, Product Management in New York, NY

I have been working at ShopKeep full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Positive mission to support independent businesses - Smart, effective, and engaged leadership team that is engaged in customer, company, and employee success - Fun environment for work - Good benefits - Open communication - Interesting, challenging work

Cons

- Management and leadership in early years left something to be desired - Could be more diligent about understanding the impacts of what performance metrics get incentivised and how that affects the customer experience

ShopKeep2019-10-08
  5. "Great Company, Good People"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I have been working at ShopKeep full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Good working environment - Great rewards, benefits and office - Interesting work with good level of recognition for the work - The Exec team listen to people at all levels - quite a flat structure - Excellent engineering teams and talented individuals at all levels

Cons

- Can be long hours, but it's at your own discretion really (there's always work to do)

Advice to Management

Keep changing things up for the better. Change and update the products as the landscape changes - some areas of our solutions are a bit dated.

ShopKeep2019-10-09

"Run away as fast as you can"

Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at ShopKeep full-time for more than a year

Pros

In the distant past this company was a great place to work with competitive pay, benefits, etc. All the pros are long gone.

Cons

Inept C level. Frat boy culture among mid level management. Micromanagement in every aspect of your day-to-day life. Rampant nepotism. Terrible benefits. God awful pay with constantly slashed commissions. If you have literally any sales experience this place is well below you. I wouldn't even consider this place for your first job out of college. Employees don't last longer than 6 months.

Advice to Management

Tired of losing all your best employees? Clean house. Try to save this once fantastic company. Quit driving garbage SQLs to artificially inflate numbers. Focus on having a functional product. Train employees to be honest with customers.

ShopKeep2019-11-05

"Pretty good so far"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at ShopKeep full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have been with the company for a while now and so far my experience has been pretty good. The staff have been friendly and very helpful. I've already learned a significant amount and feel appreciated for my contributions thus far.

Cons

The air conditioner is pretty loud.

ShopKeep2019-09-10

"STAY AWAY, seriously STAY AWAY"

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at ShopKeep full-time for more than a year

Pros

Honestly none, other than the coffee

Cons

Horrible horrible horrible experience working here. The product does not work and the goals are unreasonable. Product is fine for retail but terrible for everyone else. Training is a joke and if you think management cares about you, I promise they don’t. All management cares about is their paychecks. If you want to be treated like a number and not a person then apply to be an AE. If you want quality sales experience... please run far far away. I should have believed the Glassdoor reviews, but even on the other side look at the customer reviews and see how much they hate the POS.

Advice to Management

Wake up. Treat people like humans not numbers. Work on the product before going to market. Maybe close the business

ShopKeep2019-10-09

"Buyer Beware - Strongly Encourage Sales Pros to steer clear of this place"

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at ShopKeep full-time for less than a year

Pros

A few genuine, cool people. Nice office at a great location in the city.

Cons

If you have sales experience/success, please don't make the mistake I did in moving here. This company lost it's big chance to get acquired and go public, and management is desperate to increase storefronts on a level that is absolutely criminal to employees. Letting people go after a few months is typical, even if potential, success and work ethic are displayed. If you like working 60 hours a week (including... Saturdays), with no promise of a job, let alone any opportunity to grow into a leader or other departments, then yes, this could be the place for you.

Advice to Management

Everyone in the building knows you're aware of what you're doing. It must start from the board room and C-level. Stop ruining hardworking and talented young professionals careers by providing no value/on-going training to salespeople. Have you ever read through this page? Do you want to continue to stay relevant and attract talented people? Then wake up. Wish you all the best because this company genuinely needs it.

ShopKeep2019-10-09
  10. "Good People, but difficult to move up"

Former Employee - Customer Care Advisor in Portland, OR

I worked at ShopKeep full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great environment, very fun people to work with. Flexible PTO.

Cons

Difficult to move/switch to different departments without the willingness to move to another State.

ShopKeep2019-09-17