Shareworks by Morgan Stanley Reviews

Updated Apr 10, 2020

3.5
Shareworks by Morgan Stanley CEO Marcos Lopez (no image)
Marcos Lopez
Pros
Cons
  • "It is often a struggle to get support from upper management and subject matter experts(in 7 reviews)

• "Cons : Headquarter is in Calgary(in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great and Friendly Company"

Current Employee - Software Developer

I have been working at Shareworks by Morgan Stanley full-time for less than a year

Pros

Everyone is helpful and friendly The work environment and culture are fun Lots of opportunity for growth

Cons

Sometimes there are crunches coming up on a new release

2. "Exciting Future with Morgan Stanley"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Calgary, AB

I have been working at Shareworks by Morgan Stanley full-time for more than a year

Pros

Development: - Exciting and complex problems to work on for the foreseeable future. (further enhanced with the Morgan Stanley acquisition) - Tech stack and processes that are constantly evolving and adapting to suit our needs. (If you don't like something, you actually have the ability to make the change! Hackathon days are a great test environment) - Fantastic mentorship and guidance available for new developers and interns. (Extremely knowledgeable and experienced senior developers and execs) - Ownership and responsibility given to all team members. Opportunities for advancement are perpetually available should you show the ability to handle them. - Performance is focused on results and deliverables. You're not on the clock. If you need to step away for an hour, just do it! - Managers are extremely well selected. All have an aptitude for helping each of their teams excel in their own ways. Your concerns are well voiced and are always handled well. - Executives are very open to feedback and changing the system to better suit the product team. (Quarterly AMAs held with all the execs where you really can bring up or ask about anything! Clear action items are taken from these meetings and updates are given on progress.) General: - Every single person in the company is given real responsibility and deadlines. There is always more available if you feel you can handle it! - The great company culture can be felt around the office. (Even since the acquisition completed, we have maintained our unique way of doing things! This is clearly going to stay.) Friday social hours, social groups, and volunteering opportunities all bolster this environment. It's amazing how many valuable contacts you can make in a non-work setting! - Extremely casual and approachable staff in every department and position, CEO included.

Cons

Development: - Complex domain that requires a significant introduction to become productive in. (Actively being addressed with a new and evolving on-boarding program which is a good sign.) - Learning hours and workshop events are kept within the product 'branches' of the product team. Not all branches get the same amount of opportunities. (This is being addressed, but not on a large enough level yet.) - Communication issues arise within or between teams and are not brought up or aired until it is too late. (If you don't like something, speak up! Don't just hold it in and leave...) General: - Equity plan participation was discontinued with the acquisition. It may be eventually coming back, but a small salary bump for employees was the interim solution - not quite the same. We are a share plan company after all!

Continue reading

"Stay away warning to developers"

2.0

I have been working at Shareworks by Morgan Stanley full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Worked with innovative people, sadly most of them left Coffee machine

Cons

Stay away Most of the work force is burnt out, also leaving or have already left. They aren't a tech company anymore. Investment bank with more and more processes coming down everyday. They are having a hard time keeping the work force engaged and stopping them from leaving. Race, gender and favoritism are huge factors in promotion. If you raise issues, leadership will tell you that you have the freedom to make changes so just do it. This is another way of saying you go do that becuase I don't see a problem. CEO is in complete denial that the acquisition has eroded the culture and people. Leadership team keeps piling on more and more projects, further draining the work force. So much compliance is coming down that your own thoughts, freedom and rights have to be surrendered. I don't mean just at work, I mean your personal life as well. If you are a developer or quality assurance person, I can guarantee that this place isn't for you. Stay away because even if you accept the offer you will find quickly that they brought you in with empty promises.

4. "So far no opinion"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Shareworks by Morgan Stanley

Pros

Culture, benefits and coworkers. Amazing CEO

Cons

Front line department is always forgotten

"Favoritism, racism, unclear career path and low wage."

2.0
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Calgary, AB

Pros

Supportive colleagues who are always willing to assist, a lot to learn on the stock market and equity plan management.

Cons

The call center has an undefined career path and is micro managed by some managers thereby creating a tensed working environment. Favoritism and racism in the call center is eminent and agents in the favored group are treated and assessed more favorably than other agents. The said agents are assigned to better roles and are given the opportunity to take the Finra exams before it's one year after employment. Whereas the unfavored agents have to deal with daily frustration and bitterness as even the best of their works are always criticized . Information shared by some agents with their managers alongside exaggerated remarks in some cases are stated as negative comments during assessments. Thus, unhappy agents are scared of expressing their concerns for fear of negative assessments. Workforce management rapidly responds to the requests of some agents and ignores the requests of others without explanation. Some of the managers are excellent while others are vicious. Some agents are granted work from home permission with no stress while some agents almost go on their knees for same request. Call center agent wages are very low with no incentives, compared to all the work we do and what similar firms offer.

6. "Very excited"

Current Employee - Transaction Specialist in Montreal, QC

Pros

Amazing work culture. Very positive direction from management. TEAMFIRST. Very excited. First time I’ve worked for a company that buys kitchen supplies such as bread and cereal. Also have fresh fruit. Passionate people.

Cons

No cons. Very excited for this journey.

Continue reading

"A comfortable working environment providing opportunity for growth"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Calgary, AB

Pros

Open concept office Work-from-home flexibility Management who listens to concerns when you bring them up Competitive salary 100% RRSP contribution matching Beer fridays Nerf gun culture Great training program for new hires I have been with Solium / Shareworks for over 3 years now and I have been able to grow my confidence and my career. I am given opportunity to build and direct the product in a way that makes most sense to me as well as the business. I am encouraged to work on improving my technical skills during work hours. It's not always go go go, which is nice. If I had concerns about anything such as compensation, or having a healthy work-life balance, I was able to bring it up in 1-on-1s with my manager, and be listened to. Management is also very transparent and open about the path forward to help any motivated individual grow their career. Shareworks is a great place to work!

Cons

No more long-term incentive program (annual grants) to help the employees feel rewarded when the company does well. Health benefits have an across-the-board $1000 limit now No more sabbatical program Dev teams always have large backlogs because of how many features are desired, and not enough teams to build it all.

8. "great company"

Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Toronto, ON

Pros

free to work from home if you deliver results

Cons

more training needed at onboarding

Continue reading

"Great culture, great co-workers, lots of learning opportuniites."

4.0
    Current Employee - QA Analyst in Calgary, AB

Pros

* This company lives by the it's posted values. I love that we have a month of volunteering, adopt a family at Christmas, blood drives, food drives.... etc * Flexible hours and the ability to work from home when needed. * Great co-workers who are willing to share their knowledge about everything and anything. * Great culture - our social committee does a great job of planning social events, and we have a social hour every Friday. We also have regular hackathons where we get to expand out of the day-to-day duties and learn something new.

Cons

We aren't immune to the problems of any large company. Growing at the pace we are, and being in the middle of an acquisition adds some growing pains while things get sorted out. As long as you are willing to have open communication with your managers, and approach with a team mentality you will be able to ride out these bumps with minimal bruising.

Continue reading

"Terrific Culture, lots of Autonomy!"

Current Employee - Full Time Employee in Calgary, AB

Pros

Fantastic culture, great people. Flexible work schedule and lots of autonomy. This company epitomizes a work hard play hard mentality and though hours can be long at times, there are always fun things happening and special little appreciation events for teams. For such a large team (over 500 people in the Calgary office) the company does a wonderful job of taking any opportunity to bring the staff together which makes for close knit teams and builds lasting relationships.

Cons

Everyone is so busy it can be a challenge getting support sometimes. If you are someone who values handholding in your leadership, this probably isn’t the place for you.

Found 129 reviews