Severn Trent Water Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Severn Trent Water Chief Executive Liv Garfield
Liv Garfield

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Senior management are ignorant and sometimes don't even acknowledge team members who aren't on their "favourites" list (in 7 reviews)

• Lots of changes in the industry could unsettle things within the business (in 3 reviews)

1. "Operations"

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Stafford, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Stafford, England (UK)

I worked at Severn Trent Water full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Well paid, pension, terms and conditions, sharesave, nice people

Cons

Support mechanisms not great, work life balance, stressfull, fast paced company, promotion opportunities

Advice to Management

its 2017

2. "Variety of opportunities"

I have been working at Severn Trent Water full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Big company so lots of different aspects to get involved in

Cons

Some jobs can be a bit monotonous

Advice to Management

Find out what skills people have and work out what role they would be best at - don't be afraid to have people leave your department

3. "Severn Trent on track"

I worked at Severn Trent Water part-time

Pros

Great people and attitude, high commitment and loyalty

Cons

Difficult external environment, political involvement makes future uncertain

Advice to Management

keep the faith, you are on the right track

5. "Good company"

I have been working at Severn Trent Water full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Staff are really friendly and career progression and training opportunities are great. Company looks after their staff well with lifestyle schemes

Cons

There isn’t much that is really bad about Severn Trent water, they have always looked after me. Sometime there can be a lot of travelling between sites but I suppose that is par for the course with a large organisation

6. "Great Company to work for"

I have been working at Severn Trent Water full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic training, great promotional prospects, FTSE 100 company, bonus, sharesave scheme, lifestyle benefits, care about their employees, awesome diversity of work, opportunities to move around the business

Cons

None I'm aware of at present

7. "Good company to work for"

I worked at Severn Trent Water full-time

Pros

Good company benefits. Lots of opportunity to progress, if you have the right attitude towards it. My immediate managers were brilliant, one on one meetings were scheduled in often to check on productivity and ensure I was happy with everything. The company makes a great effort to keep you in the loop and involved with what's going on. They put a lot of effort into training you and ensuring you're comfortable and ready for the role.

Cons

I worked answering phone calls, so there are of course always cons to this (repetitive, can be boring etc). All of my colleges who'd worked in contact centers before told me that Severn Trent was the best of them all. There are targets to hit (call time, call quality, you have to transfer a certain number of customers to an insurance company each day, etc), but I still found I could take my time with customers and provide them service that I was happy with - so even though the targets are there, and there is that slight pressure, I still found the job satisfying. I left because I just didn't enjoy sitting in an office all day.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

8. "Severn Trent in review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coventry, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coventry, England (UK)

I have been working at Severn Trent Water full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly people, many knowledgable about the system. All staff pull together in a crisis. Training is available for those who need and want it. Flexible working available

Cons

Very process driven business mainly due to heavy regulation. Pay scales lower than comparable roles in other industries. Seems a little disjointed in some areas with infighting between depts - could be improved with better communication.

Advice to Management

Simplify some of the processes for more efficient and speedier working - empower the right staff to make their own decisions.

9. "An excellent place to work!"

I have been working at Severn Trent Water full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've worked at a number of engineering companies in the past and I would say that Severn Trent Water is a great place to work. They are well led and extremely supportive in training and career development.

Cons

Sometimes process (or lack of) can get in the way but this seems to be getting addressed. Things are definitely going in the right direction!

10. "Rewarding training path to senior role"

Current Employee - Senior Programmer Engineer in Derby, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Programmer Engineer in Derby, England (UK)

I have been working at Severn Trent Water full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people, flexibility and diversity of work. Great training path to achieve external qualifications. Sharesave scheme is also very good.

Cons

Ever changing amp periods bring new challenges some feel like going backwards but in general all positive changes. Most concerns can be overcome.

"Expect a career and not a just a job"

Current Employee - Technical Manager in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Technical Manager in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Severn Trent Water full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Severn Trent has many excellent people working for the business. A lot of people have worked there for many years as the business offers a challenging career with job satisfaction. I enjoy working here and enjoy my role as part of a large business.
    It is a good place to work overall.

Cons

There are challenges in such a big organisation in making sure you stand out and your efforts are recognised beyond your immediate reporting line.
    Obtaining responses from colleagues in other departments only seems to happen if you chase and chase!
    Salaries seem to differ substantially between staff on the same grading and level. Irrespective of knowledge or ability. The business shows no desire to balance this or even incentivise career progression with salary reward. Beyond annual all employee rudimentary reviews. This demotivates and colleagues do leave and move on and will do so until this is addressed.

Advice to Management

Undertake a serious review of salary banding and role grading and make sure staff are paid equally for their role and grade. Irrespective of any 10% salary increase rule. Don’t think colleagues do not know about one another’s salaries.
    Set up something to target and incentivise salary progression, with meaningful advancement having objectives and targets which are achievable with stretch.
    If you recruit new staff and pay more than existing staff at the same level are paid you will lose existing staff to other businesses and any recruitment drive will have been a waste of time and money.