Sequoia Mental Health Services Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Sequoia Mental Health Services Reviews

Updated May 7, 2019

Found 35 reviews

2.3
Sequoia Mental Health Services CEO Marcia Hille (no image)
Marcia Hille
  1. "Overall, I have been quite happy working at Sequoia."

Current Employee - Nurse Practitioner

I have been working at Sequoia Mental Health Services part-time

Pros

Sequoia is a small company which allows for more personalized relations with colleagues. I enjoy not only knowing names and titles but also being able to stop in to ask questions. Most folks who work at Sequoia are very invested in shared goals and passionate about mental health. As a nurse practitioner, I feel respected and valued in the organization. I can see that my input on patient care is appreciated. So far..., I can tell that upper management is receptive to my feedback and are starting to work with me to make improvements. The CEO and clinical director seek my expertise and ask for my suggestions. None of the people who work here deny that a shortage of resources in community mental health can be quite frustrating and limiting. Overall, I feel that the management is doing the best they can considering financial, staffing, and system access limitations. I was positively surprised by how modern and large the clinic is, and that all of the rooms are nicely decorated and furnished.

Cons

Pay can be lower than the market average for non-LMPs staff. There is a high turnaround of a clinical staff which is quite common in community mental health. There are less than optimal opportunities for collaborative, interdisciplinary meetings. It would be good to meet with the entire treatment team regularly.

Advice to Management

Continue to work on improvements with a broadminded view. Seek clinicians' feedback and input while making organizational decisions. Enthusiastically pursue more grants and other means of financial support for the organization.

Sequoia Mental Health Services2019-05-07

"Listen to the bad reviews- they are all right!"

Former Employee - Front Desk Receptionist in Aloha, OR

I worked at Sequoia Mental Health Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

24 days off Nice, friendly people at the top

Cons

Unpredictable and at times, dangerous, clientele, weird shift patterns, employees talk about people suffering from mental illness in a disrespectful manner (e.g. complaining about having a crisis line and almost boasting about how many previous patients they have had commit suicide)

Advice to Management

If you want to keep staff, pay them a wage that will make them into long-term employees and not $13 an hour

Sequoia Mental Health Services2019-04-04
  3. "Great company with great work incentives and support."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aloha, OR

I have been working at Sequoia Mental Health Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Sequoia Mental Health Services is a great company to work for. You get ample time off for vacation, sick days, and Holidays. They are flexible with allowing you to use PTO because they understand work/life balance is important in preventing burnout. You get PTO for acquiring continued education in addition to reimbursement for continuing education (even if you're not licensed). Professional development is supported... and encouraged by management. Dress code is business casual and as long as you're modest you can dress modern/unique (including having colorful hair). Colleagues are supportive and collaborative. There is no bullying that I have witnessed or retaliative behavior. The work environment is friendly and caring. It is also fast paced, which I enjoy because it is never boring. The health insurance, dental insurance, and vision insurance is great coverage if you are single. They are supportive of colleagues using FMLA should any illness arise, from what I have seen. Each month they provide all staff training to keep staff up to date with therapy modalities or changes occurring on state/county level that may effect clients. Overall I love working for this company. I appreciate the support from management, the work incentives, and how it doesn't feel like some large corporation.

Cons

Too much concentration on the business model, from supervisors to line workers and not enough focus on providing treatment.

Advice to Management

Decrease discussions with line workers on business aspects and focus more on discussing treatment aspects. Hillsboro office could really benefit upgrading front desk area to increase safety (doors/locks/desk height level). Could also see decreasing size of cubicle area in Hillsboro to build more interview rooms! :)

Sequoia Mental Health Services2019-01-17
  4. "Laid back residential treatment Counselor job"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beaverton, OR

I worked at Sequoia Mental Health Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

I had a health issue come up right before my probationary period was up after starting. I ended up in the ER. They sent the flowers, and since it was uncertain how long i would be gone, and i hadn't been there long enough for a LOA, they told me if I wanted to come back I'd have to do training again but that I'm welcomed and encouraged to. This company seemed to care and go out of their way to show it in the short 3... months of me working there more than other companies I had worked at for years had, ever! There's a lot of autonomy, easy job with great co workers and supervisors. I didn't work for or with anyone that I dreaded which usually doesn't happen. There's usually at least one person who has to ruin it

Cons

It can get boring, especially the NOC shift. But that's also where u could spend nearly your entire shift studying or something else as long as you're in the building and making hourly bed checks

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

Sequoia Mental Health Services2019-01-15

"Worst job ever"

Former Employee - Case Manager in Beaverton, OR

I worked at Sequoia Mental Health Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

Opportunity to help some vulnerable people

Cons

Inconsistent management, staff backbiting, no respect from supervisors, employees allowed to bully coworkers

Advice to Management

Close up shop - you’re lacking compassion and professionalism.

Sequoia Mental Health Services2019-01-21
  6. "Invaluable opportunity for mental health experience with irreplaceable coworkers cheering you on"

Current Employee - Case Manager in Aloha, OR

I have been working at Sequoia Mental Health Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

I absolutely love working for Sequoia. The work is challenging and may be overwhelming at first. But if you’re able to stick through the first three months of navigating systems, policies, and personalities, you’re set to continue developing irreplaceable experience in a fun, fast-paced work environment. - Management has improved significantly since I’ve started working here. There are changes constantly being... implemented to improve the structure of the agency. - Coworkers are awesome. With new management, Sequoia is doing a fantastic job at fizzling out lazier, unethical employees, and you’re left with a friendly, diverse coworkers who are always willing to help out as needed, and who really care about the work they do and the clients they serve. - Relaxed atmosphere. You’ll find people from all breeds of life working here and you’re free to be yourself. It’s not a suit and tie, heavily micromanaged organization. - Bonus incentives for meeting productivity - Allowed use of agency vehicles for community appointments - a lot of similar agencies don’t have this! - Generous PTO accrual and free healthcare - Flexible scheduling. Need to go to a doctor’s appointment? You can without the crippling anxieties of requesting PTO - go on your lunch break or at the start or at the end of your day. You have the freedom to flex your hours here, as long as you’re working at least an 8-hour day. Set your own schedule. - Supervision towards licensure - Monthly yoga - Team outings and company potlucks - Excellent opportunity to learn about social service systems and community resources. - Upper management works hard to put the agency in a constant state of improvement - Of course, the clients are absolutely amazing. I feel so fortunate to be serving the people that I do, and the work is personally fulfilling.

Cons

- Training is disorganized and poorly structured, but this is being revamped - Pay is less than other agencies - Salaried positions mean you can easily find yourself wrapped up in tasks and stay late, meaning there’s no overtime opportunities. - Forced to take PTO during agency closures (snow days). - Occasional lack of follow-up / follow through with upper management, but I attribute this to simple business... or forgetfulness. This has improved vastly since I’ve started working here. - The work can be very emotionally taxing if you don’t implement enough self care into your life. - No room to advance within the agency

Advice to Management

- Create a new position that is exclusively meant for training new employees, organizing all staff meetings, and providing ongoing trainings/professional development to current employees. - Implement some additional opportunities for self-care within the agency. Improve the aesthetic of the break room (add couches, paint a bit), offer coffee/tea, bagel Mondays, maybe add some biannual massages/spa services for... your employees?

Sequoia Mental Health Services2018-03-20

"Great Agency doing Great Work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aloha, OR

I worked at Sequoia Mental Health Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

I had the pleasure of working for Sequoia for a little over a year and a half. Sequoia's employees are a great bunch of people dedicated to helping others while remembering to have fun when you can. Everyone has busy caseloads, but are always willing to help a co-worker in need. I enjoyed going to work each day as I felt valued as an employee.

Cons

I don't have any at this time.

Sequoia Mental Health Services2018-01-02
  8. "Caregiver"

Former Employee - Caregiver in Aloha, OR

I worked at Sequoia Mental Health Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

Sequoia is a good place to work. The staff is caring and in my opinion go above and beyond sometimes to help their clients. I was let go because of lack of work. Not true, but still no hard feelings. I will recommend Sequoia to anyone who is looking for employment or needs their help. They do great work!

Cons

Rare but sometimes not so fair with employees.

Advice to Management

Check both sides first

Sequoia Mental Health Services2017-11-20
  9. "No direction. Clients and employees suffer"

Current Employee - Residential Counselor

Pros

Great employees with desire to do their best for clients.

Cons

Management keeps turning over. No direction or leadership. Employees on edge as people are fleeing or disappearing. Managers are allowed to bully employees, talk to other employees about them behind their back and generally either aggressive or not responsive.

Advice to Management

I don't think the current group are able to get the agency on track. Need a new crew brought in or employees will continue to leave and client care will continue to get worse

Sequoia Mental Health Services2017-09-30
  10. "Resident Manager"

I have been working at Sequoia Mental Health Services part-time

Pros

No Pressure at work, ability to organize your work, flexibility of schedule, good work and family balance

Cons

poor advancement policy , low salaries, toxic company culture

Advice to Management

Revise career advancement and offer competitive salary and create a culture where all employees can fit in

Sequoia Mental Health Services2017-09-06