Screwfix Employee Reviews about "b amp q"

Updated Feb 14, 2020

3.9
Screwfix CEO John Mewett
John Mewett
Pros
Cons
  • "it isn't to bad as you do a 7am - 3pm or a 10am - 6pm if you are full time(in 17 reviews)

• "Terrible rota management, always changing managers, 6am starts(in 15 reviews)

Reviews about "b amp q"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Think seriously"

2.0
    Inside Sales Representative

I have been working at Screwfix

Pros

Now with Screwfix into my second year. Pros 20% discount at Screwfix and B&Q (same group of companies). Free parking. Currently a sales team member and have been offered a supervisory role. ( no thanks )

Cons

There are lots....... irregular shift patterns, one day starting at the crack of dawn the next day / shift on Lates and finishing at 8pm if you are lucky!!! Last night I got out of the store at 8:30 as there were customers whom came in before 8 still in the store. Multiple managers, assistant managers, trade managers and supervisors in the store and only a couple of sales personnel. 20 min break in a 7 hour shift and when a manager deems it suitable for you to go. Sometimes 6 hours into a shift. And then if you ask for a break you are frowned upon. Recently told its only a 7 hour shift and you go home in an hour ? The local German food stores pay more. Bullying by certain (not all) managers. Many of the team (managers as mentioned above ) will disappear when the shop gets busy yet are just standing around the corner talking about what they did at the weekend. You get set hours contract, mine is 24 pw. I asked if my contract could be changed and upped to 30. No was the answer the following 3 weeks I had to work nearly 40 hours as team members were on holiday

Screwfix2020-02-14
  2. "Decent job, but be forewarned, the managers can be a mixed bag!"

1.0

I have been working at Screwfix part-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent customer base, you can have a lot of friendly banter with your regular customers. Pay is decent, and the discounts at Screwfix and B&Q are nice. There's also some decent incentives to help push sales in the stores. Can work with some great people from all walks of life.

Cons

Depending on the type of manager you get, you can be for a good time at work, or a horrible time. You can be in for harassment and unwelcome comments about your appearance and weight. We're constantly told by the manager that they would like to replace us all with old, semi-retired people so they can give out 4 hour shifts so they don't have to give people breaks. Management spend most the day on their personal phones taking personal phone calls. Some area managers are useless, so there will be no point going to them to raise a complaint about horrible managers. Getting recorded conversations for the most pettiest things ever. Being expected to do three things at once, we can't do it! SOTY is the biggest waste of time ever. As long as the stock is in the right location and the stock count is right, that's all that should matter. Terrible IT equipment. Have to wait ages to get anything repaired or replaced is a real inconvenience. Rotas get changed quite frequently, meaning people are unable to plan their lives, i.e. making appointments, and actually having a life.

Screwfix2019-10-25

Screwfix Response

October 28, 2019Talent Director

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review but I'm sorry to hear about your experiences. I can see you're a current employee but it doesn't state which Trade Counter, however I want you to know that the cons you have listed, especially regarding management, are taken seriously, not tolerated and not what we endorse as a wider business. If you feel comfortable to do so, please contact us on reviews@screwfix.com with further information so we can look into this. Your comments will absolutely be passed on to the relevant teams but please do get in touch if you want to discuss in more depth or provide anymore feedback.

3. "Physical, But fun"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I have been working at Screwfix full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Opportunities good if you want to progress , they invest in you. Great work life balance . Fun place to work . Customer at the centre of what they do. Fair rates of pay, bonus structure . 20% staff discount at screwfix and B&Q Pension share scheme

Cons

Can be very physically demanding, but keeps you fit so not really a Con. Personally feel certain colleagues can get away with doing bare minimum and is not addressed . This can effect team morale.

Screwfix2019-07-02
  4. "Best place to work for a reason."

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Cardiff, Wales

I have been working at Screwfix full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good work life balance. Great teams. Great support. Great friends. Great customers. Great progression if your prepared to earn it instead of moaning , show what you can do and you will be rewarded. I made the mistake of leaving once , within a week i knew I'd made a mistake , luckily through my relationship with an amazing Area Manager my mistake was rectified. I love the challenge but the main reason I enjoy working at Screwfix is the 'look after your people' culture, its real and very much alive within my Area and of the many managers I've met from other parts of the Uk , of all CEO's and throughout the company. 20% discount in screwfix and B&Q.

Cons

Tool collection gets huge... because 'I might need it one day'

Screwfix2019-04-24
  5. "Poor treatment of staff"

2.0

I worked at Screwfix full-time

Pros

-Some great people in the team -Some great customers -Staff discount in screwfix and b&q -Good amount of annual leave -The idea is good, just poorly executed in some places

Cons

-Poor pay for supervisors (they are expected to do the same as the assistant manager but for the same money) -Not enough staff -Rude customers -Weak management that don't have enough of a backbone to manage their staff properly -Lack of care when you're sick -Your opinion only matters if you're male -Absolutely no work/life balance, different shift pattern every week. Working full time and not allowed to take time off for appointments -Higher management have no idea what happens in their stores and judge unfairly -Unrealistic expectations. You cannot safely run a shop for 5 hours on just 2 members of staff

Screwfix2019-05-08

Screwfix Response

June 3, 2019Talent Director

Firstly, we’d like to thank you for leaving your review. We’re so sorry to hear that your experience at Screwfix did not match your expectations. We're also very concerned about what you said about treatment of staff. We strive to do the best for our people so we would welcome a chance to discuss this further with you. Please email reviews@screwfix.com to provide us with more details so we can investigate.

"Really great people, and good company to work for"

Current Employee - Service Assistant in Wirral, England

I have been working at Screwfix part-time for less than a year

Pros

Usually varied shifts, so you won't get too bored. Staff discount 20% at Screwfix and B&Q. Health packages and sharesave schemes. Team vibe and staff nights out.

Cons

Very focussed on targets, and the hours the store gets is dictated directly by how much it sells. This means that some stores just don't have enough staff to do basic things. Depending on who the manager is your shift may not be varied, and you may be stuck on till/delivery for 8 hours which makes it so boring. Would be nice to have more praise in the position, most tasks you do are completely thankless even if you do them to a higher spec than others. As an SA you'll likely be put on a 12-hour contract if you're inflexible, and they won't usually give you above a 30 hour contract, even if you work there full time. This means that people are routinely underpaid for holidays. Other employers have it so that you build up holiday pay as you work. Contract hours should better-reflect the hours you work. For how much some people know, £8 an hour isn't enough; after working there for a while you amass a large amount of knowledge about the systems and the products. Long-term employees should be paid a higher rate than short-term ones to reflect their value to the company. Even for supervisors, £9 an hour isn't enough, and isn't a competitive salary, both amounts are hardly above minimum wage nowadays.

Screwfix2019-01-14
  7. "Decent place to work at"

Current Employee - Service Assistant

I have been working at Screwfix part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay, all shifts are done at least 4 weeks in advance so you can plan around or change shifts if necessary. Good for students. 20% off at Screwfix and 20% off at B&Q after 3 months employment.

Cons

Questionable management, some supervisors get very big headed when promoted and tend to act as such.

Screwfix2018-12-04
  8. "Assistant Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Abingdon, England

I have been working at Screwfix full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

20% discount at Screwfix and B&Q Low stress Good team of people Progression availability Ever growing company, just opened 600th store Good Pay and Good work/life balance

Cons

Assistant Managers often overlooked by higher management (not including store manager) Slower Progression for becoming a Branch Manager

Screwfix2018-09-21
  9. "A mixed bag...."

Former Employee - Trade + TA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Screwfix part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great team, great atmosphere, good relationships between staff and customers (barring the 99th percentile). Can do attitude. Discounts at SF and B&Q.

Cons

"Sales" campaigns that don't appear to be thoroughly thought through. Poor holiday booking process (12 months ahead, appears to have a pecking order and forget September). Lack of meaningful incentives below SM/ASM level. (£20 "fill the fridge", really?)

Screwfix2018-09-25
  10. "Sales Assistant"

Current Contractor - Sales Assistant in Durham, England

I have been working at Screwfix for less than a year

Pros

I work with friendly people although there are plenty of rumours about other stores. I get staff discount at Screwfix and B&Q which is amazing. They treat you quite well in general, there are employee socials where they pay for stuff, free teas and coffees which is great for early shifts and it is just generally quite pleasant. They'll even give you a bonus of £500 pounds if you suggest an improvement to how the company operates that they like.

Cons

The customers can be annoying but I imagine that's the same with all shop jobs. It's not very common but it happens. The early shifts can be unbearable sometimes too. You also keep having to explain to people how the store works when something needs to be ordered in and that gets tedious.

Screwfix2018-05-29