Sandvine Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Feb 23, 2020

3.2
Sandvine CEO Lyn Cantor
Lyn Cantor
Pros
  • "Free food, drinks, cab for late evening drop home(in 27 reviews)

• "Smart people, working with new technology, very broad way of working(in 17 reviews)

Cons

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Better by the year"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON

I have been working at Sandvine full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I have been able to grow within the company, and have learned a lot in the process. Processes are now in place to help with work/life balance that weren't there before. The place keeps getting better over time.

Cons

It is a challenging place to work for, where you constantly need to learn to just stay afloat. To me, it's part of the fun of being here.

"Would Not Recommend"

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager

I worked at Sandvine full-time

Pros

Some great employees Decent benefits Happy hours

Cons

Senior management Unrealistic workload No work-life balance

3. "Former co-op"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Waterloo, ON

I worked at Sandvine for more than a year

Pros

Lots of learning opportunities and received plenty of mentorship from my teams. Once you have proven your abilities, your career here is set.

Cons

Still lots of uncertainty. Push to deliver can impact work-life balance.

Continue reading
  4. "Overall, it's a great place to work."

4.0
    Current Employee - Manager in Waterloo, ON

I have been working at Sandvine full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great place to learn new technology. Lots of employee perks - Profit sharing, stock purchase plan with 50% match, good benefits, lots of free food. Great people.

Cons

There doesn't seem to be a very well defined promotion path. Work-life balance can be a bit difficult at times, but it isn't a constant worry. Company growth(revenues) needs to increase.

"Bad culture, too bloated"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Waterloo, ON

I have been working at Sandvine full-time for more than a year

Pros

- There are attempts to engage the employees with paid/subsidized outings and quarterly team lunches. - There are some genuinely smart people here. - Lots of challenging problems to solve. - Some really engaged people trying hard to make a difference. - Flexible work schedule.

Cons

- Too many managers/directors and not enough people who actually work. The org chart is laughable. (there is literally an AVP of nothing, with no reports and no official duties) - The place is overrun with ineffective meeting-hoppers, bouncing from meeting to meeting looking for a free lunch (literally). - Don't make new friends, because they won't there tomorrow. Attrition is the highest I've ever seen anywhere. - No work/life balance. - Projects consistently understaffed, without adequate resources, investment and usually come with unreasonable deadlines. - Code quality is low, due to lack of skilled programmers doing the actual work. - Productivity is measured in lines of code (which is great for people who don't know how to program). - Most "lifers" are resistant to change and therefor the company is run on seriously obsolete platforms. - Serious disturbing "Bro culture", bordering on sexism. - No respect for family life, work life balance. - Employees are lobbied to rank the workplace highly so that Sandvine gets on the "Great Places to Work" list. - Not many "Engineers" who actually code/work anymore, and those that do get frustrated or overworked and leave. - Management is completely ineffective with too many opinions being given weight and decisions forever in a stalemate. - Projects are dragged on endlessly to the advantage of those whose job depends on it (i.e. contractors). - Politics are surprising for such a small company.

Continue reading

"Good people, loads of work and long hours"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Waterloo, ON

I have been working at Sandvine full-time for more than a year

Pros

people make the environment fun lots of things to see and do

Cons

zero work life balance 14h work days crammed into 8hours of pay there are no spurts of work, just more and more of it

7. "Great place to work"

5.0

I have been working at Sandvine

Pros

Good management and smart people. They treat interns like full-time employees. Great work-life balance. Feeling of being a part of the team.

Cons

Cannot come up with any cons. Senior co-workers are sometimes not much helpful because of the intense work. Challenging for junior programmers.

"Good place to work (Used to be great)"

Software Engineer in Waterloo, ON

I worked at Sandvine

Pros

You get to work with very smart people which is a great thing to keep one motivated and on top of one's game. Management respects employees Good work-life balance Good benefits package

Cons

Victim of it's own growth Some groups work like "old boys" club - not easy for outsiders to get in. Controversies surrounding Net Neutrality. Used to be a great place to work, but it's reputation has suffered lately. Employees not appreciated/rewarded for good work

9. "Working place"

4.0
    Current Employee - QA Engineer

I have been working at Sandvine full-time

Pros

Great company to work with,will get many opportunities to shocase your talent. Good work life balance

Cons

Totally centered around company product

10. "Amazing place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bangalore

I have been working at Sandvine full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Good exposure in terms of work that we do here. - At very early stage of career, people do get responsibility for complete project. - Very good work life balance. - You get recognized for you work. - It doesn't matter if you are fresher or some senior guy, people do listen to you. - No politics.

Cons

based on my experience nothing so far.

Found 24 reviews