Sandvine Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Updated Jan 3, 2020

3.2
Sandvine CEO Lyn Cantor
Lyn Cantor
Pros
  • "Free food, drinks, cab for late evening drop home(in 28 reviews)

• "Smart people, working with new technology, very broad way of working(in 17 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Things are getting better"

I have been working at Sandvine full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people, free food and beer if that's your thing, fun events going on in the office. Lot's of opportunities to learn and work on innovative things. Things were definitely worse a year ago but the culture has been improving. Seems as though the dust has settled and people are happier.

Cons

Communication can be lacking, sometimes there are silos. Would be nice to have RRSPs.

Advice to Management

Be transparent and communicate downstream.

Sandvine2019-06-10
  2. "Operations manager"

Current Employee - Sandvine

I have been working at Sandvine full-time

Pros

Tons of projects and initiatives

Cons

Too many managers and not enough work completed

Sandvine2019-11-24
  3. "A lot of learning opportunities"

I have been working at Sandvine full-time

Pros

Work flow is constant and always changing but allows you to learn and grow with the organization

Cons

feel like each department is segregated, would like to see more relationships being built between departments

Sandvine2019-10-30
  4. "Great work environment"

Former Employee - Senior Hardware Engineer in Waterloo, ON

I worked at Sandvine full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great place to work. Fair compensation. Management recognizes and rewards hard work.

Cons

Company was moving away from hardware projects and shrinking the team

Sandvine2019-08-03

"Bad sales leadership contaminate the workplace"

Former Employee - Sales in Toronto, ON

I worked at Sandvine full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Sandvine has great products, marketshare and a go-to-market strategy

Cons

Do not take a sales position here. 'Bringing in the numbers' on a 30/60/90 basis with a complete disregard for the customer or sales person has led to 'high turnover'. Very tactical top-down sales push versus strategic selling is the focus. Some senior sales leaders never stop searching for something to over-analyze and micromanage. Under constant surveillance and inspection, this makes the sales team feel discouraged, frustrated and uncomfortable.

Advice to Management

Bad senior leadership is causing irrevocable damage, hindering performance and creating unnecessary stress to employees and customers. A new company culture needs to be developed.

Sandvine2019-07-24

"More value on money than people"

I have been working at Sandvine for more than 3 years

Pros

My team is very close and we get to work on some neat stuff, but if any one of them left many of us wouldn’t be far behind.

Cons

Sandvine is not what it used to be. We don’t really have a culture anymore. The days of being a “Great Place to Work” are so far gone. Executive leadership has moved to the US and it is a very different style than Sandvine 1.0. Very little communication and transparency. Only focus is on making money and if you are not a money maker you can consider yourself at risk at being out of a job. Mindset that anyone is “replaceable”. Very little career development and opportunities.

Advice to Management

Making money is cool but so is treating people with respect. Don’t drive away good people.

Sandvine2019-06-28

"Solid company. Good technology. An okay place to work."

Former Employee - Senior Director in Waterloo, ON

I worked at Sandvine full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Strategic management. Good customers. Decent name in market.

Cons

Private equity run so the focus is more on profit than on growth. Top down management can limit the contribution allowed for motivated middle managers.

Sandvine2019-07-07
  8. "Great company, awesome benefits and very smart friendly people"

Current Employee - Web Engineer in Waterloo, ON

I have been working at Sandvine full-time for less than a year

Pros

smartest people, good management, good benefits and compensation, remote work if needed, great company culture, many company events, free beer, drinks(pop, coffee, tea etc..), Whisky bar, good management, challenging and interesting technology stack, always something new to learn.

Cons

can't find any cons for now

Advice to Management

RRSP would be great benefit, macbook for software developers would be a good incentive

Sandvine2019-06-23

"Terrible management, lack of responsibility, broken teams."

I have been working at Sandvine full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Salary is okay. - Benefits are okay - Free food pretty often - Free beer anytime you want it if that's your thing.

Cons

In my time at Sandvine: - I have been sworn at by managers (technically the one of the VP's) for asking if I could have access to a server for something. - I have heard other people managers throwing racist slurs around, not even behind closed doors. - I have been physically threatened by people managers. - I have received insanely little amounts of training, and then been expected to take on huge responsibilities far beyond my scope, as if I was a master of my craft. - I have been told, "No offense, but maybe Sandvine made a mistake in hiring you." - I have been told "Well, if this new product doesn't sell, who knows where you could end up. Enjoy job security while you have it! (I'm not even part of any sales team...) - I have been told, "You should consider yourself lucky I hired you. Nobody else in this kind of office environment would since you have tattoos." The C-level staff have no idea what is happening below them, and only care about the money being brought it; it's extremely apparent. Human Resources can only do so much to help, when many of the management and above aren't following the company policies. No RRSP.

Advice to Management

You seriously need to get a clue what is happening around you, or this company (at least the Waterloo office) will crumble. Plus, maybe next time don't hire racist, aggressive people -- or don't be surprised when lawsuits find you.

Sandvine2019-05-30

"Crumbling culture. Questionable ethics."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON

I worked at Sandvine full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The company is full of smart people. The technology is interesting and you are faced with new challenges constantly.

Cons

Most of the knowledgable people have left. Management is not transparent about company performance, corporate objectives, and how products are used in certain countries.

Sandvine2019-05-06