SYKES Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

SYKES President & CEO Chuck Sykes
Chuck Sykes

2,129 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work from home job with a perfect management staff (in 422 reviews)

• Best benefit is a happy work environment (in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • Can be demanding to deal with back to back customers (in 31 reviews)

• Customer Service can be a stressful job (in 58 reviews)

1. "great place"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Moncton, NB
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Moncton, NB

I worked at SYKES full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great place to work would reccomend

Cons

I loved it , please work here

Advice to Management

none

"Sykes - Work from Home"

Current Employee - Customer Service Sales Associate in Windsor, ON
    Current Employee - Customer Service Sales Associate in Windsor, ON

I have been working at SYKES full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- friendly management who are always there to help you
    - fast paced and never a dull moment
    - work from home in your pajamas
    - pretty neat point system where you can build them up and cash them in for some nice prizes

Cons

This can be a stressful job, customers expect excellent service and expect you to help them, but the system and tools we use are very outdated and unpredictable at best.
    — there is not much work life balance
    — your schedule always changes daily.. your breaks and your lunch is never the same.
    — you never get a weekend off. Your 2 days off are always during the week
    — when your tools go down you are off the clock. They say your team manager will adjust your hours but they don’t always do it so you need to really watch your daily paid hours
    — they never allow you to take a day off unless you are sick or it’s an emergency. Even if you book it off weeks in advance

Advice to Management

Please allow your hard working independent workers to have a day off when they request it.
    Please communicate more with your employees when it comes to their schedule so they don’t have to hound you. A simple ... I updated your hours email would be helpful

3. "The Team leads suck"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at SYKES full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working from home is a bonus

Cons

Back biting attitude
    Team leads will go after the employees if they dont get the pay they want
    Jealousy rampant
    Systems fail
    Agents get blamed

Advice to Management

Fire the teamleads who refuse to support the agents

5. "Not too hard of a job"

Pros

-Job isn't too demanding
    -Get to work from home, so no costs associated with transportation
    -Get to work in comfortable home office

Cons

-Pay is only minimum wage
    -Can be demanding to deal with back to back customers

"Too much pressure for too little money"

Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Toronto, ON

I have been working at SYKES full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You got to work from home, there was some flexibility with shift swapping.

Cons

You are micromanaged down to the second (literally). Team Leads are basically dictators who do whatever it takes to meet unrealistic targets. By unrealistic, I mean that worker cannot meet the targets without suffering undue stress and punishments for missing targets - that change as often as weekly.

Advice to Management

Fight for your employees at the contract level with your clients. Don't take a contract that is unreasonable.

"Gone to hell in a handbasket"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Moncton, NB
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Moncton, NB

I have been working at SYKES full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You work from home with some pretty amazing people.

Cons

Upper management care exactly 0 for the people who have helped to make this company.
    Employees in Ontario and Alberta saw a wage increase, any staff not in these provinces would not be affected. Team Managers is ON would go up to 17.40/hr Our training staff in On would go to 16.40/ hr , our front-line agents would make the min wage of 15.40/hr in On. However, all lower management such as Team Managers and Senior Team Managers will not see an increase if they are out of province. They now make less than the people who manage them or do the exact same job.
    As a mass exit of lower management occurs the stance remains the same they will not raise wages.
    For a company that states it respects it employees and has succeeded for 40 years in the treatment of people who make this business you have fallen.

Advice to Management

Get it together. Your employees are not just numbers but the people who make your business work. You are losing dedicated result driving people that would have continued to make Sykes a financial beast had you treated them with even an iota of decency or respect.

"Rogers please take your contract from sykes"

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Edmonton, AB
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Edmonton, AB

I worked at SYKES full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

none sykes is by far the worst company ever

Cons

I have worked at sykes for 3 years before I left, The last straw when agents in Ontario were making more then my Managers

Advice to Management

Rogers, please take the contracts back and set up work from home, Sykes do not care, treat agents like crap, TL's have to follow the drill almost like little ants going to their queen. Wages suck. if you report anything bullying it is frowned upon and not dealt with. I know people who work in one of your centers make almost double what I made at Sykes and were happy not depressed beyond control. You want to see stats. happy agents. great NPS fire Sykes and do it yourself. Your customers would be much happier too not having to hear the I hate my life tone on the phones as working at Sykes is a soul sucker. very sad

"Canada = don't bother unless in Ontario."

I have been working at SYKES full-time

Pros

There are some decent people to work with generally. Working from home can be nice and convenient as long as you are fine with a bit less social a workplace.

Cons

The biggest one here is that if you aren't in Ontario, expect to be paid dirt. Ontario agents at the lowest level of new hire are making more than manager in every single other province, including some senior manager. The company attempts to justify this by saying they can't afford to pay people in other provinces better, but when the vast majority of their workforce is already in Ontario, and it's their biggest hiring pool, they're going to end up paying it anyways when they have to replace people who will leave.

Advice to Management

Is your company going to be more successful with people who already know what they are doing and have delivered years of profitable results/performance, or with people who are completely green when you have to replace those who leave over the dumpster fire that are wages in other provinces? Make better decisions. You talked a lot of big talk last year about the Sykes 7 Principles, but you allow Canadian leadership to act without these principles at all. Reading through those lists of principles now while making less than subordinates numerous levels below us it just shows what a joke this whole situation is. Soon as you guys decide to actually live up to your word, treat people the same regardless of who they are, solve problems, and do the right thing, let us know.

"Company with no ethics and moral values"

Former Employee - Tech Support in Ottawa, ON
    Former Employee - Tech Support in Ottawa, ON

I worked at SYKES full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

cannot think of any. fake work from home not real work from home

Cons

the list is long lets limite it to the essentials:
    1. minimum wage while they enslave you, none a mn goes by without having frustrated clients.
    2. breaks 10 mn, if you don't take your break or lunch on time they start tagging you. and you have to justify in writing why you didn't take your break or lunch on time.
    3. takes 30 mn to start all their tools every day and we don't get paid for.
    4. we have to check our shift every night because it changes every day. we end up with no real life.
    5.they abuse you under pretext they expect you to be the best worker. working hard is not enough for them but they want to exploite you.
    6. they disrespect employees from the beginning during the training and all of this comes from upper management.
    7. they lie and they are lying in their response here in the reviews section.

and much more

Advice to Management

as my previous mate said, I have no advice for management but advices for employees. contact human rights and ministry of labour.

"Extremely Unpredictable and Disorganized"

Pros

Working at home is a major plus. For all the stress that this job might give you, at least you're at home and there's never any commute.

Cons

This job is like a professional version of manic depression: everything is decent but anything that can go wrong might go wrong in varying degrees and you could never know what it is that made it wrong. Between that and lack of proper training and maintenance of client knowledge it's a constant challenge to work here.

Advice to Management

Help your leaders, support, and management keep up with knowledge and demand and give them the time and incentive to do so.

Showing 2,129 of 2,167 reviews