SYKES Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

SYKES President & CEO Chuck Sykes
Chuck Sykes

2,283 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • work from home is very convenient (in 443 reviews)

• Best benefit is a happy work environment (in 62 reviews)

Cons
  • Back to back calls can be exhausting, need more employees (in 31 reviews)

• Sometimes it's hard to give excellent customer service when the clock is ticking (in 61 reviews)

1. "Wireless customer service"

I worked at SYKES part-time

Pros

Amazing company to work for. I learned a lot

Cons

There are no cons for me to say right now

2. "Meh"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Kingston, ON
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Kingston, ON

I have been working at SYKES full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work from home, so I can be with my dogs. That's about the only positive that I can think of, but it's also a mixed bag from the positive side.

Cons

- Working from home has it's negatives, like having to have my office in my bedroom so it feels like I'm always at work.
    - There is little infrastructure in the company. The support room is not supportive. Requests are missed and the wait for the support is unreasonable particularly when our call time is recorded on our work record.
    - Many of the employees who work for the company are rude. Particularly the SL's. When they message regarding adherence, they don't seem to understand print etiquette. They jump to conclusions without asking what's going on first.
    - Their systems are VERY VERY slow, and that's IF they work. We've just had a system change and it's actually made worse, not better.
    - The idea that we pay for our power, internet, headset, phone line, monitor and we are responsible for making sure that everything is working but we are only paid $1 over minimum wage.
    - If anything breaks down in the way of headsets, etc. we are given a "warning" about home office requirement. But, on the wage provided it's not even possible to have an extra set of anything just laying around if something fails. But during those failures we are not paid for time missed.
    - The training is AWFUL. There are 6 weeks of training provided but there is little to nothing done in the way of learning that operating systems. This is all done on the job with live customers.
    - In training they discuss customer service and valuing the customer and how important that is. But when it comes to being on the phones, sales are pushed and that's where extra money is made. But there are no rewards for saving customers through putting them on lower price plans that they can actually afford rather than letting them leave the carrier that we work for.
    - We are not allowed to hang up on customers that swear at us. This job does not pay the wage that we should tolerate any kind of abuse and putting up with that abuse should not be required.

Advice to Management

- Dramatically improve the systems that are used. Speed them up if you expect us to be fast.
    - Teach the SL's and the TL's typing etiquette with regards to how they speak to the front line workers.
    - Better compensation is definitely necessary due to the fact that we provide most of what's needed to perform our jobs.
    - Providing monitors and headsets would be reasonable. Free internet and home phone (as they are necessary for the job) and we are working for a provider of these, should be an absolute.
    - You might spend less in training if you didn't have such a high turnover rate. But the turnover rate is likely due to the previously mentioned problems.

3. "Sykes"

I worked at SYKES full-time

Pros

Trainers were nice very helpfull

Cons

Very stressful rules changed all the time

4. "customer care representative"

Pros

salary is interesting and the support team is great

Cons

nothing pertaining to report the job is fantastic

5. "Tech support"

I have been working at SYKES part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work from home....flexible time slot.

Cons

Less pay. Not enough room for promotion

"R.n telehealth"

Current Employee - Staff RN in Brampton, ON
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Brampton, ON

I have been working at SYKES full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work from home, shift premiums, choosing your schedule be it 8 or 10 hours. I don’t have anything else good to say about this job. It wears you out talking on the phone call after call.

Cons

Challenging callers, not enough time for lunch or breaks even when doing 10 hour shifts. Management is hard on new staff to keep their call times down. It’s difficult to breathe in between calls, it’s one after another. High turnover rate. There were 3 classes after mine and more than half quit. Not a good place to work. Also everything is done online so you must be proficient with computers, and they keep changing their policies, so it becomes very confusing. I’m looking for another job desperately.

Advice to Management

Be more patient with new staff. They are just learning and are going to make mistakes. Also positive reinforcement works better than always the negative

"Sykes - Work from Home"

Current Employee - Customer Service Sales Associate in Windsor, ON
    Current Employee - Customer Service Sales Associate in Windsor, ON

I have been working at SYKES full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- friendly management who are always there to help you
    - fast paced and never a dull moment
    - work from home in your pajamas
    - pretty neat point system where you can build them up and cash them in for some nice prizes

Cons

This can be a stressful job, customers expect excellent service and expect you to help them, but the system and tools we use are very outdated and unpredictable at best.
    — there is not much work life balance
    — your schedule always changes daily.. your breaks and your lunch is never the same.
    — you never get a weekend off. Your 2 days off are always during the week
    — when your tools go down you are off the clock. They say your team manager will adjust your hours but they don’t always do it so you need to really watch your daily paid hours
    — they never allow you to take a day off unless you are sick or it’s an emergency. Even if you book it off weeks in advance

Advice to Management

Please allow your hard working independent workers to have a day off when they request it.
    Please communicate more with your employees when it comes to their schedule so they don’t have to hound you. A simple ... I updated your hours email would be helpful

"The Team leads suck"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at SYKES full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working from home is a bonus

Cons

Back biting attitude
    Team leads will go after the employees if they dont get the pay they want
    Jealousy rampant
    Systems fail
    Agents get blamed

Advice to Management

Fire the teamleads who refuse to support the agents

"Not too hard of a job"

Pros

-Job isn't too demanding
    -Get to work from home, so no costs associated with transportation
    -Get to work in comfortable home office

Cons

-Pay is only minimum wage
    -Can be demanding to deal with back to back customers

"Worst job I've ever had"

Former Employee - Cable Repair in Nanaimo, BC
    Former Employee - Cable Repair in Nanaimo, BC

I worked at SYKES full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work from home which is also a con
    It's easy
    A monkey could do it

Cons

Lied to about wage
    Harassed about a being few seconds over on a break
    Treated like children
    Horrible training

Advice to Management

Don't lie to people about their wage to get them to work for you. You also need to have a better way to deal with those who go over on breaks. I had daily anxiety attacks due to how I was treated over literally eleven seconds.
    Training consisted of just practicing calls with coworkers who just took unscheduled breaks and not actually learning material.

Showing 2,283 of 2,325 reviews