SYKES Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

1,005 Ratings

2,416 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Back to back calls can be exhausting, need more employees" (in 31 reviews)

• "Some might consider the job stressful, but this is valid for all the customer service BPO's out there" (in 62 reviews)

1. "Wireless customer service"

I worked at SYKES part-time

Pros

Amazing company to work for. I learned a lot

Cons

There are no cons for me to say right now

2. "Alright"

Former Employee - Customer Support Representative in Ottawa, ON
    Former Employee - Customer Support Representative in Ottawa, ON

I worked at SYKES part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work from home and convenience.

Cons

The compensation wasn't so great.

3. "Good Job, bad management"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Sherbrooke, QC
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Sherbrooke, QC

I worked at SYKES full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, and great times.
    Flexable

Cons

Managment favors some depts. over others

Advice to Management

More rewards for hard workers

4. "Not recommended"

I worked at SYKES full-time

Pros

you get to work from home

Cons

Way to many to mention

Advice to Management

TELEHEALTH......New employee's should be told if they fail the final test in week 3 training or are having difficulties it will be implied that they resign!!! I turned down 3 other interviews for this positions for this job never thinking that I would be left in the situation I was left in! People put a lot into setting up for this new job. Landlines, shredders, web cams, headsets, door locks. These things aren't cheap. Luckily I kept the receipts and was able to return them but other's might not putting them out of a lot of money. The instructors were nice but the training was overwhelming and very impersonal. You have no contact with other classmates. I've been a nurse for over 20 yrs and had never experienced such an uncaring environment. I would NOT RECOMMEND this company to any of my fellow RN's!

5. "They are interesting and friendly team"

Pros

They are interesting and friendly team

Cons

R&R it is one hour paid break with free snaks when you get good evaluation from cx

"Minimum wage = minimum effort"

Current Employee - Cable Repair Technician in Ottawa, ON
    Current Employee - Cable Repair Technician in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at SYKES full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work from home , work in gitch,

Cons

Minimum wage, unrealistic quality goals, inexperienced managers, Sykes focus is on quick calls but the customers wants quality support, not a fast response. SYKES team leads are inexperienced and reflect poorly on SYKES management, they don't care about their client [Rogers] customers at all.

Advice to Management

Implement higher pay; SYKES current offers minimum wage salaries, which in turn creates minimum effort : ) Don't expect us to log in 15 minutes early if we don't get paid to log in early. Not happening.

7. "Meh"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Kingston, ON
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Kingston, ON

I have been working at SYKES full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work from home, so I can be with my dogs. That's about the only positive that I can think of, but it's also a mixed bag from the positive side.

Cons

- Working from home has it's negatives, like having to have my office in my bedroom so it feels like I'm always at work.
    - There is little infrastructure in the company. The support room is not supportive. Requests are missed and the wait for the support is unreasonable particularly when our call time is recorded on our work record.
    - Many of the employees who work for the company are rude. Particularly the SL's. When they message regarding adherence, they don't seem to understand print etiquette. They jump to conclusions without asking what's going on first.
    - Their systems are VERY VERY slow, and that's IF they work. We've just had a system change and it's actually made worse, not better.
    - The idea that we pay for our power, internet, headset, phone line, monitor and we are responsible for making sure that everything is working but we are only paid $1 over minimum wage.
    - If anything breaks down in the way of headsets, etc. we are given a "warning" about home office requirement. But, on the wage provided it's not even possible to have an extra set of anything just laying around if something fails. But during those failures we are not paid for time missed.
    - The training is AWFUL. There are 6 weeks of training provided but there is little to nothing done in the way of learning that operating systems. This is all done on the job with live customers.
    - In training they discuss customer service and valuing the customer and how important that is. But when it comes to being on the phones, sales are pushed and that's where extra money is made. But there are no rewards for saving customers through putting them on lower price plans that they can actually afford rather than letting them leave the carrier that we work for.
    - We are not allowed to hang up on customers that swear at us. This job does not pay the wage that we should tolerate any kind of abuse and putting up with that abuse should not be required.

Advice to Management

- Dramatically improve the systems that are used. Speed them up if you expect us to be fast.
    - Teach the SL's and the TL's typing etiquette with regards to how they speak to the front line workers.
    - Better compensation is definitely necessary due to the fact that we provide most of what's needed to perform our jobs.
    - Providing monitors and headsets would be reasonable. Free internet and home phone (as they are necessary for the job) and we are working for a provider of these, should be an absolute.
    - You might spend less in training if you didn't have such a high turnover rate. But the turnover rate is likely due to the previously mentioned problems.

"customer care representative"

Pros

salary is interesting and the support team is great

Cons

nothing pertaining to report the job is fantastic

9. "Sykes"

I worked at SYKES full-time

Pros

Trainers were nice very helpfull

Cons

Very stressful rules changed all the time

10. "Tech support"

I have been working at SYKES part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work from home....flexible time slot.

Cons

Less pay. Not enough room for promotion

Showing 2,416 of 2,462 reviews