SDL Reviews

3.2
SDL CEO Adolfo Hernandez
Adolfo Hernandez
Pros
Cons
  • "Work/life balance can be a problem for the consistent "doers" within the organization(in 21 reviews)

• "Very poor work life balance with most of PJMs working long hours(in 19 reviews)

1. ""Great company!""

5.0
    Former Employee - Desktop Publisher in Montreal, QC

I worked at SDL full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

"Great company!" Great people. A great opportunity.

Cons

I question the whole "open office" office layout ethos. I think it would be nice be able to close a door to get work done when you have something major to concentrated on.

"Salary Delays and 12 translators in one small office"

Translator

I have been working at SDL

Pros

I thought SDL was good, but they proved to deal with bad clients, and they are indifferent towards translators in Montréal, Canada.

Cons

I have been told by SDL interviewer that there will be salary long delays and 12 translators in one small office. I've been told by a friend that SDL asks you to translate a few pages to test your translation skills as they claim, but it seems as though they want you to work for them for free.

"Avoid at all costs"

I worked at SDL full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you're lucky you might meet nice people

Cons

There are so many cons that it would take me multiple page just to get out all the problems that I experienced while working at SDL. There's a difference between being in a high-pressure environment and being in a nuclear war zone. SDL is the later. You will be asked to do magic with no help, no money and no training. They will lowball you, they will micromanage you and in the end, it's not worth the trouble. The translation business is a difficult one, and it's because of companies like SDL that people are burning out and moving to different fields. Avoid at all costs.

"This is SDHell"

I worked at SDL full-time for more than a year

Pros

I can think of only one - if you want to challenge yourself if you burn out or not

Cons

They are basically squeezing you like a lemon, using you, abusing you and then throw you away. I almost burned out there and got out in time. Superiors changed 3 times during my 1,5 year there. And they were all not professional. Especially the last one, who transitioned from the translation team and got promoted for just one successful project. Once she asked me which duties I like to do and then removed those I liked to free some space on my plate (too much overtime). They will give you so many projects that you won't have a choice to do overtime, and if you do too much, they will punch you for it and say that you need to find a control. If you get sick because of working too much, and start going to medical appointments, they will also complain. Also, they often avoid giving you conditions according to the law as they make you look like a freelancer-contractor which you are not, if you work there permanent full-time. And they will deny the existane of the law, unless you want to officially complain. Overall they are abusing mostly young graduates and new arrivers to country.

5. "Great People"

4.0

I worked at SDL full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people good environment

Cons

Low salary not a direct path to promotion

"Stop talking - start doing"

I have been working at SDL full-time for more than a year

Pros

Office is a nice place - Income is good - Great co-workers.

Cons

I still try to figure what my job is . Very little support. Poor management with no vision or at least ability to articulate it.

Continue reading
  7. "Software Developer in Test"

4.0

I worked at SDL full-time

Pros

Flexible working hours Great, talent team members

Cons

Benefits not well managed Managers are not very good in building career paths for team members

"Project Manager"

2.0
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at SDL full-time for more than a year

Pros

There is a good work environment

Cons

Software out of date

SDL Response

October 3, 2018Executive Team

Thank you for taking the time to write your review - we have an open door policy here at SDL and would love to chat further on your comments. Please feel free to discuss with management your concerns. Thank you.

"Experience as a translator at SDL"

Former Employee - Translator in Montreal, QC

I worked at SDL full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good for acquiring translation experience at a big translation company, meet a lot of young people, get acquainted to many different roles, functions and tasks, familiarize yourself with the latest technology.

Cons

There is little or no incentives for employees, no salary raises, no bonuses, which explains a high turnover rate. There is no corporate culture to speak of, it's like every employee for himself. Poorly trained managers.

SDL Response

October 24, 2018Executive Team

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and share your experience with us. We are part way through our transformation and are moving forward with our employee engagement strategy. A culture change after any company transformation will take time and we are fully committed in making that change. Our career framework is being rolled out and our remuneration is being reviewed. We are building a new SDL culture and this may take longer for some people than they wish, we want to get it right. We are recruiting great talent and are encouraged by the obvious shift in employee satisfaction. We are sorry that your experience with us wasn't great and wish you success in your future career choices.

"Project Manager"

2.0

I worked at SDL full-time

Pros

They are very flexible with the schedule

Cons

Has nothing to so with an actual PM job... The job should be called translation coordinator

Found 677 reviews