SDL Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

3.3
SDL CEO Adolfo Hernandez
Adolfo Hernandez
Pros
Cons
  • "Work/life balance can be a problem for the consistent "doers" within the organization(in 20 reviews)

• "Very poor work life balance with most of PJMs working long hours(in 19 reviews)

1. ""Great company!""

Former Employee - Desktop Publisher in Montreal, QC

I worked at SDL full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

"Great company!" Great people. A great opportunity.

Cons

I question the whole "open office" office layout ethos. I think it would be nice be able to close a door to get work done when you have something major to concentrated on.

SDL2019-08-05
  2. "Great People"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Montreal, QC

I worked at SDL full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people good environment

Cons

Low salary not a direct path to promotion

SDL2019-09-16

"Stop talking - start doing"

I have been working at SDL full-time for more than a year

Pros

Office is a nice place - Income is good - Great co-workers.

Cons

I still try to figure what my job is . Very little support. Poor management with no vision or at least ability to articulate it.

Advice to Management

Management does not seem to know what they are doing. Top managers should spend less time traveling and more asking real questions and supporting- Empowering is good, supporting is better.. HR open door policy is a concept not a reality.

SDL2019-04-19
  4. "Software Developer in Test"

I worked at SDL full-time

Pros

Flexible working hours Great, talent team members

Cons

Benefits not well managed Managers are not very good in building career paths for team members

SDL2018-11-13

"Project Manager"

Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at SDL full-time for more than a year

Pros

There is a good work environment

Cons

Software out of date

SDL2018-10-02

October 3, 2018Executive Team

Thank you for taking the time to write your review - we have an open door policy here at SDL and would love to chat further on your comments. Please feel free to discuss with management your concerns. Thank you.

"Experience as a translator at SDL"

Former Employee - Translator in Montreal, QC

I worked at SDL full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good for acquiring translation experience at a big translation company, meet a lot of young people, get acquainted to many different roles, functions and tasks, familiarize yourself with the latest technology.

Cons

There is little or no incentives for employees, no salary raises, no bonuses, which explains a high turnover rate. There is no corporate culture to speak of, it's like every employee for himself. Poorly trained managers.

Advice to Management

They should focus on building a strategy to improve their employer brand and their corporate culture, create programs for employees. Little things such as creating a rewards program can go a long way to help employees feel more engaged.

SDL2018-08-04

October 24, 2018Executive Team

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and share your experience with us. We are part way through our transformation and are moving forward with our employee engagement strategy. A culture change after any company transformation will take time and we are fully committed in making that change. Our career framework is being rolled out and our remuneration is being reviewed. We are building a new SDL culture and this may take longer for some people than they wish, we want to get it right. We are recruiting great talent and are encouraged by the obvious shift in employee satisfaction. We are sorry that your experience with us wasn't great and wish you success in your future career choices.

"Project Manager"

I worked at SDL full-time

Pros

They are very flexible with the schedule

Cons

Has nothing to so with an actual PM job... The job should be called translation coordinator

SDL2018-03-14

"Any recent positive reviews of SDL are ‘Fake News’"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC

I worked at SDL full-time for more than a year

Pros

What’s good? Getting paid as promised, since the company reneged on paying their managers, sales people, operations and product teams across bonuses as well as commission payout. Being on a sinking ship with other good people was sadly one of very few comforting attributes over the past 18 months of the SDL* rebrand.

Cons

First, 100% agree with Moral review and other recent ones below. Especially on Hispano-Brit Trump commentary, the significant and accelerating cultural decay, and, of disruption of trust and synchronicity between upper Mgt. and rest of organization. Second, as SDL’s HR leadership is notorious for trolling these reviews - the lack of responses to these reviews starting in July, outside of a very poorly disguised... recent review in January which has apparently been taken down due to Glassdoor policy restrictions on HR leadership writing reviews, one that essentially insults what they believe to be long-standing and entitled current employees, *speaks* *volumes* What’s Bad? Based on possible character limitations on these reviews, there is simply too many things to unwind with SDL Today. Very few current employees would even recommend working there to people they dislike and I feel fortunate to have left as the situation continues to deteriorate further.

Advice to Management

If you are trying to bring down the company in order for Equity Capital to take SDL private, which is no longer viewed as outlandish, please be less obvious in doing so and at the same time more honest with the people you are affecting both Inside and Outside the organization

SDL2018-02-07
  9. "Translator"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC

I worked at SDL full-time for more than a year

Pros

A good place to learn

Cons

The management could be better

Advice to Management

provide more support and better managment

SDL2017-11-29

"Lots of lip service"

I worked at SDL full-time

Pros

Well located in the city where I worked, and staff includes some lovely, dedicated and very talented people (who eventually will be broken by the workload expected from them).

Cons

SDL cares a lot about pleasing investors, shareholders and prospective clients. The company can offer a variety of management and delivery systems and tools to speed up the translation process. It must all look fantastic to large companies looking for linguistic services. The downside for employees is that their well-being is not considered beyond a few well-intentioned messages once in a while and the illusion... of channels of communication. I HAD NEVER WORKED WITH SUCH MISERABLE PEOPLE BEFORE. Everyone there is too overworked and overstressed to think of anything beyond their workload. The offices of the company worldwide are set up to compete against each other instead of being encouraged to work together. If you are a translator who cares about language quality, that's just not compatible with the corporate culture here. No wonder the staff turnover rate is so high.

Advice to Management

Since software and management systems are the company's strengths and clearly what the company cares most about, why not just become a software and technology services company and leave the language tasks to those who do it well? You already have the entire industry in a chokehold with Trados Studio, isn't there a way to be a profitable company without treating employess like soulless little translation machines?

SDL2017-11-19

December 7, 2017Global Head of HR and Employee Experience

Thanks for this review. I’m sorry to hear that you wouldn’t recommend SDL. We have 3 key stakeholders as a company which is our employees, customers and investors and it’s important that we focus on all three areas. The well-being of our employees is very important to us and we are very much committed to providing a great employee experience through our people strategy. I see that you have left the company but I wish you well in the future. Regards, Roddy.

Found 653 reviews