S&P Global Ratings Reviews

Updated Jul 1, 2020

3.4
S&P Global Ratings President John Berisford (no image)
John Berisford
Pros
Cons
  • "When beginning a job at S&P, go in actively expecting that it has been falsely advertised to you(in 38 reviews)

• "Constant changes in senior management(in 31 reviews)

1. "Great training ground"

5.0
    Former Employee - Research Assistant

I worked at S&P Global Ratings full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Learn how to properly do a company analysis from scratch. They teach you everything. Best work-life balance

Cons

Pay is on the lower side (compared to other front office type role, but very high compared to back office type role). Have opportunities to travel to NYC.

2. "Just a Name"

2.0
    Former Employee - Analyst

I worked at S&P Global Ratings full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Get to see the management and learn from them - A couple of senior analysts are nice and willing to share knowledge but usually that is not the case. Mostly because of the culture, and the fact that senior MM don't support those initiatives. - Get in and out it is a good name.

Cons

- They want horse to run without giving hays. When I was at the most junior level earning less than 60K, on the first week, I was scolded (literally) for making a mistake on the model. On the first day I joined, 1 hour after I came to the office (an orientation), I was dragged to a work allocation meeting (they call it team meeting), given names and stuff to work on. They didn't give me a break. As if I am born with S&P rating methodology and criteria. - Very unreasonable reporting structure. Your review&bonus is based on your MD, who never works for you and just listen to other's (your work flow manager & team) feed back. And if your work flow manager cares for people's growth he will mention the good stuff frequently. And MD just copy paste and reword into your annual review, and those ones he can't comprehend. And he promotes the people he like the most, because he only sees a tip of iceberg. - Favouritism. When i asked about OT pay, i was told by my MD to discuss first then he can give me back some of the days; my colleague at the same level as me (also new hire) was allowed to get $ - They don't want to spend money on the system or IT infrastructures and it is a disaster. Imagine your laptop get stuck at least 10 times a day, not counting all those restart and waiting time. The MM has promised to improve since I joined but never get things done. - Pay is abysmal. They have a slogan "change the pay" and I just laugh it awat.

3. "Good work-life balance"

Current Employee - Associate in Toronto, ON

I have been working at S&P Global Ratings full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Laid-back culture, good work-life balance, collaborative environment

Cons

Lesser pay compared to similar bank jobs, not enough emphasis on career development

4. "Research assistant"

4.0

I worked at S&P Global Ratings full-time

Pros

Very good work life balance

Cons

Not enough advancements opportunities

"Invest in your staff if you want to get sector specialists"

I have been working at S&P Global Ratings full-time

Pros

Flexibility, good work life balance

Cons

Pay is terrible. Not investing in their junior staff.

"2 years and out"

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Toronto, ON

I worked at S&P Global Ratings full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good work/life balance, great learning opportunities, convenient location, great benefits and competitive salary. Work here for two years and then break into sell-side.

Cons

Unfriendly work environment. High turnover. Poor IT infrastructure and support. Senior management is notorious for enforcing use of untested software which breaks every week. It is difficult to move up the ranks in the company. Management only cares about results and not so much about the well-being of overworked and stressed-out employees.

Continue reading

"Research Assistant at S&P"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at S&P Global Ratings full-time for less than a year

Pros

- One of the best places to get credit analysis training right out of school - Unique opportunities to meet with senior management of issuers very early in your career - Hours are very manageable

Cons

- The pay is pretty much bottom of the barrel. I have a friend who moves boxes at Costco who earns more. - Not very prestigious - Limited growth opportunities - If you work very hard it may take you 2 years to become a ratings analyst and then you are only paid about 65k. Another 2 years of hard work and you get paid 75k as an associate. Another 2-3 years and you get paid 85k as an associate director. Another 2-3 years and you become a director and get paid 100k or so. Basically takes you 10 years of hard work to get to 100k base salary. At a bank, you will reach that salary in less than 2 years.

"Get in, then get out..."

1.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at S&P Global Ratings full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Good place to get entry-level experience and capital market exposure. - Work/life balance is good if your department is well-staffed, which is unfortunately no longer the norm. Working remotely seems to be acceptable to most managers. - Company name looks good on your resume.

Cons

- High turnover at all levels within the past few years, including a disturbing number of sudden executive departures - 3 presidents during the course of my employment. - Performance reviews are done on a bell curve. Don't expect promotions based off performance and achievements, as the culture is extremely political. Negotiate a strong starting salary as promotion increases are nothing to write home about. - Limited upwards mobility, as the company remains top-heavy, even following multiple recent re-orgs. Virtually nothing is offered in terms of career planning, mantra from management is "it is what it is". - IT staff is outsourced over 70% to a couple of large predominantly offshore agencies. Applications and infrastructure are extremely dated and clunky. In-house talent has almost completely evaporated - remaining staff is mostly management with limited technical knowledge.

Continue reading

"good as career start point (experience-wise), but regulations & pay are killing"

4.0
     in Toronto, ON

I have been working at S&P Global Ratings for more than a year

Pros

- very friendly environment that encourages junior analysts to learn as much as possible - be able to work from home

Cons

- regulations is making process extremely long, to rediculous. I have to spend more time in admin & IT problem solving work other than doing real analysis - experiences very much depend on the senior analysts that you work with. I had mostly good ones, but a few are hard to work with - pay is too low at junior levels

Continue reading

"Make use of the work/life balance to get your CFA and leave ASAP after."

2.0

I have been working at S&P Global Ratings full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good work life balance, it is a 9-5 job. Aside from this, not many good things to say about this company.

Cons

Doesn't care about employee development. Very low compensation, my performance feedback for each year is better than the previous year yet overall compensation is less and less each year. Think of S&P ratings as a gateway and training ground, it is a good stepping stone into the capital market but not a place you want to build your career. With the 2 years I have been with the firm, we changed 3 presidents! That just shows how stable this company is. Also, you don't set your performance objective goals, your manager emails you the goals he/she wants you to achieve and ask you to input into the performance system!!!!

Found 629 reviews