Rubicon Project Employee Reviews about "top heavy"

Updated Mar 21, 2017

3.5
Rubicon Project CEO Michael Barrett
Michael Barrett
Pros
  • "nice workplace office, free lunch, other perks(in 32 reviews)

• "Great benefits, good work/life balance(in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • "Top heavy, too many VPs and Directors(in 12 reviews)

• "Some teams move faster than others and don't have much of a work/life balance(in 7 reviews)

Reviews about "top heavy"

Return to all Reviews

"Needs work"

I worked at Rubicon Project full-time

Pros

Lots of benefits Some Great People Casual Work environment Evolving industry

Cons

Lack of vision or direction for company outside of revenue numbers Very top heavy staff structure No clear career paths Disorganized management

"Shipwreck"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Rubicon Project full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Early on, there were a ton of pros, but the last 18 months or so, this company has been circling the drain. It's actually really sad to see a once respected and innovative company disintegrate due to failed management.

Cons

Clueless, top heavy management. Nepotism. No strategy. Poor hires. Wasted potential.

Continue reading

"How to kill a cash cow"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Rubicon Project full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free lunch, good pay, benefits.

Cons

Clueless upper management, very top-heavy, CEO doesn't want to be bothered with day to day management of the company. Very well compensated upper management that will not try to rock the boat, just fall in line "yes" people. Primadonna President runs day to day operations, he has no original ideas, constantly borrowing strategies from other companies that do not fit Rubicon, constantly hiring next sexy resume to replace failed prior sexy resume. Stock is doing poorly, and management has no clue to turn it around, therefore looking for a buyer to buy the company and pay the execs golden parachutes to leave.

"Enginner"

Current Employee - Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Rubicon Project full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

* Generous time off policy

Cons

* Top heavy, too many VPs and Directors. * Lot of talent leaving out of door. * Culture no longer a strong suit.

"Smoke and Mirrors"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Rubicon Project full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great LA office ambiance - hip and trendy. Frank's vision is unparalleled in this market and its quite exciting to see the organization grow under his leadership.

Cons

Cindy Olsen in People Operations doesn't possess the leadership, vision or perseverance to resolve the bad rapport of HR throughout the organization. The HR department is top-heavy, inexperienced and wants to shove everything down their employees throats - so much so, new hires start seeking new employment within their 2 weeks (peer driven fact). This has been the trend for the past two years as Cindy brings nothing to table except smoke and mirrors. Which is quite unfortunate for the Executive Leadership. Hopefully they'll connect the dots before its too late and her ability to lead has driven everyone else out. This is why you're unable to attract or retain top-talent. Go figure, and good luck.

Rubicon Project Response

January 27, 2016President

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. As you pointed out, the organization is growing and with that, we hired Cindy, an experienced and talented HR professional, to make sure our People Department processes and staffing are positioned to support our continued growth, and that is what she is doing. Cindy has the full support of our executive management team. Some of those changes take time and that can be frustrating and we recognize that the posting above may simply reflect frustration of a person who feels adversely affected by changes we have made.

"It's ok. Can be toxic if you let it"

I have been working at Rubicon Project full-time

Pros

First and foremost, catered lunch every day. This is in addition to a relatively well stocked kitchen. Location of the main office is convenient too.

Cons

-Projects move at a glacial pace due to lack of funding, infighting, and everything having to go through 16 different managers. -Way too many directors. Extremely top-heavy. Rubicon would rather hand out higher titles than higher salaries. -Project pace and over-management have caused most people to either quit or completely check out. Not a whole lot of passion for your job here - but it's the ad industry so what can you expect?

Continue reading

"This is where i learned that you will always be more loyal to a company than they are to you."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Playa Vista, CA

I have been working at Rubicon Project full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nice perks like unlimited PTO, catered lunches, fully stocked kitchens, stock options, fun employee events. You get to work with a lot of very smart and talented individuals.

Cons

1. If you have worked in the tech industry before, you are pretty much jaded by glossy offerings of free food and unlimited PTO. But to newbies, this can be enticing. The food is there to discourage employees from wanting to leave to go to lunch and they offer unlimited PTO because they know no one will ever use it...it's an unspoken rule and discouraged. 2. Management is extremely top heavy - every time a new SVP or VP is hired they don't want to roll their sleeves up and do any real work so who gets slammed with new projects? Their assistants or PMs. 3. Culture - while they claim that they manage culture like a product, it is just that...a product. A product is an article or manufactured object. Culture involves people...you can't force it. Stop trying to ram forced happiness down our throats and get to the bottom of why your employees are so unhappy. It's very silo'd as well in the Playa Vista location; teams are separated with not a lot of interaction with each other. People should want to do something, not because they are forced to. 4. Executive area changes so frequently, the fact that there is such a high turnover of talented executive assistants should tell you something. There is no stability with CEO, he does not seem content with things the way they are and thinks constant "disruption" would help motivate employees but it does the opposite. No one is going to take any new idea seriously when they know in the back of their heads that it will change again in a few months. That is why there is no real commitment. 5. Growing very quickly after going public, but hasn't quite learned to scale.

Rubicon Project Response

September 2, 2015CPO

I want to thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I am sorry that your experience is not matching with our intention of being a great place to work. Thanks for highlighting some of the things we do work hard at like providing world class perks. As for the cons you have listed, these are issues that can happen in a fast growing company and the team here is focused on learning how to scale in the right way. We are working on a number of efforts to increase our operational discipline that should impact our ability to scale and focus as one team. I hope you will notice this impact in the coming year. If you would like to contact me to share more of your experience, please email me at colsen@rubiconproject.com to set up a time to talk. Thank you for your ongoing contribution and feedback, as this will help us to continually improve as an organization.

"Sales"

4.0

No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Rubicon Project

Pros

-Good benefits -opportunity for growth -good people

Cons

-top heavy -product development too slow

Continue reading

"Good people, nice culture but chaotic management"

4.0

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Rubicon Project

Pros

The coworkers are smart and the company maintains a comfortable culture for all types of people. There's lunch provided everyday, which is a huge plus. Unlimited vacation is also great, but not all teams have the flexibility to actually use it.

Cons

The company is pretty top-heavy and there can be ego issues many times. Leadership organization is confusing at best. Upward mobility is a challenge, and almost entirely depends on the manager you're working with.

"Mixed bag with lots of landmines"

2.0

I have been working at Rubicon Project

Pros

Rubicon Project is a tough place to gauge as the culture can vary greatly between business functions. On one hand, it's a company with driven and intelligent people. On the other, it's still very much a startup trying to find it's identity in a crowded space. Rubicon Project is for people who want to contribute immediately and don't mind working incredible amounts of OT day to day. There are free lunches, free breakfasts, free coffee and snacks and game room.

Cons

Management goes to great lengths to "promote" culture, yet it's mostly contrived and the senior management will not stick to the culture that they try so hard to get you to adhere to. If you're not based out of the HQ office, most of the fringe benefits will not extend to you. The old boys' club culture is inescapable. Intimidation is rife as titles are extremely top-heavy with Type A+ personalities. For Engineers, the roles are incredibly demanding (don't think that you will grow here working 9-5 and just getting your stuff done), but you will generally, be recognized. For non-Engineers, recognition and job stability is spotty. PTO can rarely be used in reality, even if there is "unlimited" PTO.

Found 12 reviews