Roche Employee Reviews about "senior management"

Updated Apr 3, 2020

4.2
Roche CEO Roche Group Severin Schwan
Severin Schwan
1,182 Ratings
Pros
Cons
  • "there is no cons to comment for(in 49 reviews)

• "needs more strategic direction from senior management(in 43 reviews)

Reviews about "senior management"

Return to all Reviews

"Roche Canada"

2.0

I have been working at Roche full-time

Pros

* Colleagues (below senior management) are supportive and caring * Excellent pipeline and drug development

Cons

Unfortunately right now there are more cons than pros at this company. However, I outline the top 3 cons below- 1. Poor senior management - they give direct reports no visibility into short term or long terms objectives and there are no employee insights incorporated into plans. Its basically here is the plan, just implement and do not ask any questions. 2. Culture of fear leads employees to not speak up. Those who do get a 'mark against them'. 3. Constant change and poor communication has resulted in employees feeling paralyzed and unable to perform their roles.

Roche2018-06-14
  2. "excellent work-life balance"

5.0

I have been working at Roche full-time

Pros

word life balance, encourages bottom-up initiatives, and empowerment

Cons

needs more strategic direction from senior management

Roche2020-04-03

Roche Response

April 6, 2020Global Recruitment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. Our leaders are prepared for their role through training. In line with our values ​​and our seven leadership commitments as guidelines, we expect them to continually make use of the education and training programmes specifically tailored to their needs. Thanks again for your review, we wish you all the best for your future within our company.

3. "Good company - stucked in an Agility transformation"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Basel

I have been working at Roche full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

- Good compensation - Strong culture with a good balance between performance and people focus - Strong talent - Strong pipeline

Cons

- is currently in a Transformation process towards agility but especially senior management mindset has not shifted (pseudo empowerment that leads to a situation where nobody knows who makes decisions) - Global HQ has a strong culture with strong talent while Roche Germany (Grenzach) is more an old school command & control culture - While diversity is high on the agenda (which is good), it seems to be solely focused on gender rather than different cultural backrounds (e.g. Emerging markets) and very much shaped around a single minded US/Genentech culture that does not feel very diverse

Roche2020-01-24

"great staff, poor systems, much to slow to market, poor management, promotion based on how much broen nosing you do!"

2.0
    Former Employee - Diabetes Services (Not Providing Full Title) in Burgess Hill, England

I worked at Roche full-time for more than a year

Pros

excellent supportive staff, nice offices, resonable pay and benefits,

Cons

Diabetes care is a disaster zone at present, wholesale redundancies (50+ out of 140 staff) jobs awarded without due process to whomevers face fits, very poor staff moral due to uncertanty of role and financial situation, appaling behaviour by some senior management who are rude, conceited and incapable of perfoming role, ( or just unable to perform their role). senior management who boast about their salaries and the value of their expense account whilst people are being made redundant. very slow to market, new services and offerings 2-3 years late, massive market errosion, not a place to work at present, steer clear as you wont/cant make a difference

Roche2019-11-14

"Senior Management is discredited"

Former Employee - Accountant in Budapest

I worked at Roche full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The Company Roche, in general os ok.

Cons

Recent Budapest SSC Senior Management is terrible. The very few still valuable is being sent away with various "created" reasons. They are building a Kingdom with their servants. They are destroying the values built during 13 years. I hated to go to work this year, as everything is so false now.

Roche2019-09-06

"Complete let down"

1.0

I have been working at Roche

Pros

At one point a thriving company with tonnes of opportunity. People were innovative, and worked together to make a difference.

Cons

Corrupt senior management, extremely political and fearful culture, values aren’t truly lived. Not enough focus on the science and too much incompetence.

Roche2019-06-25

"Be careful when headhunted by Roche"

Former Employee - International Product Manager in Zug

I worked at Roche full-time for more than a year

Pros

They pay well but kick you out very soon.

Cons

The senior management has no vision or strategy. Be careful when headhunted - you could be jobless 6 month later. This happened to 3 people in the last 2 years... or they offer you a low entry level job.

Roche2019-04-20

"Not a progressive company"

Former Employee - Former Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Roche full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great talent, opportunities to meet with senior management on a regular basis, can grow by taking advantage of different job opportunities internally

Cons

Lacks innovation. Senior management does not consider the amount of great talent available within the organization when making strategic decisions. Also very politically driven.

Roche2019-03-19

"Good Company. Great Benefits. Would recommend to a friend."

4.0
    Former Employee - Senior Scientist in Madison, WI

I worked at Roche full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Solid Company to work for. Nice compensation package with great benefits. Working environment has a lot of flexibility. Great people to work with. Overall experience was very positive

Cons

Lacking in advancement in opportunity. Feels like the vision communicated from senior management and the day to day activities are somewhat misaligned.

Roche2019-02-27

"Toxic Work Culture in Santa Clara Sequencing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Roche full-time for more than a year

Pros

- The sequencing technology is interesting and has potential to move personalized medicine forward in the future. - Free snacks and breakfast fare. - Work/Life balance is pretty good. - Roche appears to be centralizing all of their South Bay and Peninsula M&A targets at the Santa Clara site and turning it into an "Innovation Center". Could be a good opportunity to be able to transfer across many teams.

Cons

- Toxic work culture and management. Employees are sometimes publicly berated in meetings. Weekly meeting(s) are masqueraded as somewhere to share data and information across groups, but actually function as arenas where groups face off against each other vying for power and recognition. Back-stabbing and back-biting of teams against each other is commonplace. Fear, competition, and mistrust permeate the entire organization. - Lack of concrete direction and strategy from executive and senior management leads to entire site scrambling for goals and direction every year. - "Innovate Now" and "Speak Up" are two of the cultural beliefs, but almost no one is allowed to do anything innovative or out of the box. Anything that bucks the status quo is immediately met with resistance. "We already tried that and it didn't work", and then not having any data to back up claims seems to be the default response. People catch on quickly, stop trying to contribute new ideas, turn on "coast mode", and become "yes" men or women. - Salaries are consistently below what other companies Pharma, Biotech, or Technology companies in the Bay Area are offering even though HR claims they are performing salary comparisons. People leaving for new opportunities regularly secure 30-40% compensation increases. Stock options are only offered to a select group of software engineers, data scientists or directors and above, good luck everyone else! - Contractors are treated like second-hand citizens, and I have seen many cut loose before their contracts are up. I even witnessed one case where the contractor was given only 4 days of notice before being told they were being let go. - Points above lead to a large number of disengaged workers that are trapped and looking for a way out. I have observed employees actively job searching in the open office environment and even in the middle of meetings that they are supposed to be engaged in!

Roche2019-02-19