Rivian Employee Reviews about "work environment"

Updated Feb 20, 2020

4.2
Rivian CEO R.J. Scaringe
R.J. Scaringe
Pros
  • "Very fast paced work environment, which is very fun - there is never a dull moment(in 10 reviews)

• "The company is fast-paced and full of smart, hardworking people(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work/Life balance is nothing surprising(in 10 reviews)

• "You have to have the energy to put in long hours and climb the mountain(in 5 reviews)

Reviews about "work environment"

Return to all Reviews

"Best Company I've Ever Worked For"

Current Employee - IT Administrator in Normal, IL

I have been working at Rivian full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Highly competitive pay - Awesome benefits packages - Fast-paced work environment - Full of extremely nice and accepting people - You get the time off you need, when you need it. Work/Life balance is great. - Tons of room to grow and advance your knowledge in your field

Cons

- The amount of work currently being pushed is a lot for the average employee, but it is expected with this company still working from the ground up to meet deadlines. Nothing too crazy for dedicated and hard working employees. As they say we are "Building The Plane While It's Flying"

Rivian2020-02-20

"a challenging, exhausting, sometimes stressful, but absolutely unbeatable workplace"

Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Rivian full-time for more than a year

Pros

RJ (CEO) has a clear goal in mind, which is to enact a positive change on the environment in which our children and our children's children will grow up. This is not just a sales pitch, it is absolutely genuine and is the cornerstone of the company vision. Ultimately that's what attracted me and many others to Rivian and there are few, if any, companies in the world right now able to deliver the same extent of positive change. Yes Rivian is a startup and is now experiencing typical issues associated with the necessary growth that enables success, but the opposite (no growth and a static work environment) would bore me to tears. It's a constant challenge of strong growth, mixed international cultures, experienced and inexperienced employees, old and new employees, changing organizational structures, new investors, new technologies, and brand new vehicle concepts, but it's these same challenges that allow the opportunity to do things differently. Rivian is growing and adapting, whilst building amazing products, and there is no place more exciting to work in the world right now. For those who are frustrated by it, I strongly believe the better response is to embrace it, grow with it, and try to affect it positively over time. Eventually it will all calm down and you will miss this phase.

Cons

It's extremely difficult to build a car company and it's not for everyone. There are often causalities to the pace, the rate of organizational change, the dilution of culture and the relentless drive to maintain timelines to keep customers happy. Most work long hours, but are generally driven by a desire for success in what Rivian is trying to do. The average employee at Rivian is robustly capable with a strong desire to be influential in Rivian's success, but these types of personalities need strong, experienced management. This is difficult to build immediately in a startup and is the toughest of challenges for RJ and his leadership team. Whilst Rivian grows at an extraordinary pace, they are constantly working to refine how the business is run, unfortunately there is still plenty of room for improvement

Rivian2020-02-06

"Exciting, Challenging and Rewarding!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MI

I have been working at Rivian full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you want to work somewhere where you can literally see your impact, this is the place!! Very fast paced work environment, which is very fun - there is never a dull moment. There are a lot of challenges and hurdles to reach our goals, but we have the right team to achieve it! It continues to impress me leadership's involvement and commitment. RJ's commitment to the company culture gives me hope that this is a company I want to stay at for the long run.

Cons

Work life balance can be tough, but it's well worth it. You are recognized for your hard work.

Rivian2020-02-12

"Very good company"

Current Employee - Validation Engineer

I have been working at Rivian full-time

Pros

Pay, benefits, work environment and people

Cons

None. It s a great place to work

Rivian2019-09-21
  5. "Manufacturing Internship Review - Plymouth, Michigan"

Former Intern - Advanced Manufacturing in Plymouth, MI

I worked at Rivian for less than a year

Pros

-Extremely cooperative and open minded work environment -Super efficient payroll, email, reimbursement, and file sharing systems -All employees are friendly and willing to step outside of their roles to help you with any issue you may have -Management / Leadership is passionate and treat their employees with respect -Bi-weekly company-wide meetings run by the CEO to keep everyone up to date with company progress -Office technology is top of the line, they don’t cheap out on anything you may need to efficiently do your job. -They always seek to hire their interns and have a great interview process with quick response time to prospected employees.

Cons

-Hours are demanding and will only increase as they near the launch of their first vehicle. Be prepared to put in some serious time in to this job. -If they feel that you are consistently under-performing (with warning) or disrespecting your coworkers, they will not hesitate to fire you. They have performance reviews twice a year so you will know where you stand and how you can improve.

Rivian2018-09-04

"High caliber team! Company with great potential!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Rivian full-time for less than a year

Pros

Motivated team Performance based culture Positive and energetic work environment Forward thinking, dynamic Founder & CEO Clear vision Strong compensation that is aligned with performance Highly approachable leadership

Cons

Processes still being developed in many areas so one needs to be comfortable with some amount of ambiguity

Rivian2016-12-12

"Horrible business practices!!"

2.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Livonia, MI
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Rivian full-time for less than a year

Pros

Innovative, fun work environment, great pay and good benefits. Good group of people for the most part to work for.

Cons

No employee loyalty. They will let you go once you have finished what they needed from you. Young people running the company looking at short term rather than long term success.

Rivian2016-09-19

"Rivian Experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Livonia, MI

I have been working at Rivian full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have spent 20+ years in the automotive sector and cannot imagine going back to that silo enriched, vanilla work environment again. I made the decision to work at Rivian for several reasons, foremost the leadership, forward thinking business plan and flat out "fun"! I'm very fortunate to have the opportunity to be part of this hand selected tactical team of highly talented, motivated "Rock Stars"

Cons

Still searching for that Kryptonite

Rivian2016-03-24

"Best Job Ever"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Livonia, MI

I have been working at Rivian full-time

Pros

All of the hard work, energy, and talent of a giant company without any of the bureaucracy or office politics! Rivian is still very much in startup mode, and there are still few employees. But the work environment is the best I've ever experienced. The place is stacked with talented people from the bottom to the top, and everyone encourages and helps each other to get the job done. The corporate mission is inspiring and makes you want to come to work every day to help the company's vision become a reality (sorry... have to be vague due to disclosure issues).

Cons

As with any startup, not all of the systems or processes are fully developed, and that can sometimes slow things down. But if you get discouraged by that kind of thing, Rivian is not the place for you because we need people who can work through the challenges of setting up these things from scratch.

Rivian2015-08-12

"Exciting, Engaging and Empowering."

Current Employee - Development Engineer in Livonia, MI

I have been working at Rivian full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The team. The fun work environment. The creative, collaborative culture. The fact that your voice is heard and your input actually makes its way into the design/program. Because we are a start-up, it has been thrilling to watch the company grow from where we were 5 years ago to where we are today and it excites me to think where we will be in 5 more years.

Cons

Because we are a small team, each person is held responsible for a large amount of their subsystem, which can be overwhelming if you are used to having a small role in a large company.

Rivian2015-04-08

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 10 reviews