Rivian Reviews

4.1
Rivian CEO R.J. Scaringe
R.J. Scaringe
  1. COVID-19

"Fast paced, dynamic and inclusive."

Current Employee - Manager, Noise and Vibration

I have been working at Rivian full-time

Pros

Rivian is great place to work. Generally, the workforce is motivated, driven and smart. It's been a very refreshing and motivating experience to work with so many engaged and intelligent individuals. There are no shortages of technical challenges and problems to solve. Timing is (like everywhere) tight, and the environment is dynamic and fast paced. Great place for an engineer to dig in and have fun! Communication from upper levels of management has been fantastic. A situation like COVID-19 should really highlight issues here, but instead, the Leadership Team did an excellent job communicating what was happening, when and why. Both the CEO and CPO (and the rest of the leadership team for that matter) make it a priority to disseminate information and be open and transparent. Authority and autonomy. Employees from the lowest level to the highest all have equal ability to make decisions to inform designs and ultimately the product. It's ok to challenge the VPs if what they're saying doesn't make technical sense. It's ok to be challenged if the same applies to me. Truly amazing not to have to go through managers, directors and VPs only for them to not decide anything. It's a start-up, there's a lot of work to do. This should be known going in... it's not a 9a-3p type place. For me, this is good... makes days go by quickly, and there's a feeling of contribution and helping move things forward. Some could see this as a CON, but those aren't the type for an environment like this. Sustainable Mobility. Values are paramount.

Cons

Growing pains are evident. A company that staffs from a few hundred employees to a few thousand in a short time is bound to have issues. But it's nothing that's not manageable and the leadership team is actively working to sort through and resolve.

"Finally a startup company that really prioritizes on having the right work culture"

Current Employee - CAE Engineer in Plymouth, MI

I have been working at Rivian full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Focus on building the right startup culture which means hiring the right people (Rivian 101)! - Focus on quality versus quantity - Focus on not having silos. The CEO is transparent with the employees. - There is no hierarchy where one person makes all the decisions. Leadership is supportive and interact with everyone from experienced to entry-level engineers. - Collaboration with other teams is encouraged which allows for immense learning and solving problems with a holistic approach - Get to work on some REALLY COOL and innovative products and ideas

Cons

- Of course, work-life balance is not the greatest. Rivian offers unlimited vacation days to help with this. - Finding the right balance between not enough processes versus too many processes. This is something Rivian is building as the company matures. These cons are true for any startup. Startups are a challenging environment! If you don't feel challenged, you will not progress.

Continue reading
  3. "Progressive company with great benefits and a fantastic product."

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Plymouth, MI

I worked at Rivian full-time for more than a year

Pros

Supportive culture, amazing facilities, inspirational product

Cons

Poor cross department/location communication, contributes to lack of team clarity and unity.

"Love commitment to building strong culture"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer

I have been working at Rivian full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working here is inspiring - it’s great getting to work on products that are exciting and that I can’t wait to see on the roads. But for me, even more important than the products is the company's focus on building a culture that makes it a great environment to be a part of. Leadership 'walks the talk' and makes tough and sometimes unpopular decisions but I genuinely feel they're for the good of the company. The CEO and leadership team are approachable and this openness has helped create a culture that is inviting and collaborative.

Cons

Mentioned above, but there are growing pains associated with a business that is growing so quickly. I have seen the company go from ~750 people to more than 2000 and this means there have been bad hires, broken processes and communication gaps. I feel leadership either works to fix these issues (as I mentioned above) or is actively working to address them now.

Continue reading

"Very Exciting Place to Work"

Current Employee - Lead Structural Durability Engineer in Plymouth, MI

I have been working at Rivian full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very exciting place to work where we developed very enhanced CAE procedures differentiating the load cases pertaining to Stiffness, Strength and Fatigue for all durability CAE load cases. A right mix of engineers with different capabilities. Good leadership team, always support in development of internal standards to make a successful product. Good opportunity to work on different subsystem level and vehicle level. Adventure products are more exciting which will have the outstanding performance.

Cons

Certainly Rivian being a growing company it has limited resources. For a person with passionate to work will never see this as a con.

"Exciting and fast-paced"

Current Employee - Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Rivian full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fast-paced and get to make a real impact New technologies make it an exciting place to work You feel like you are really making a difference to the world Amazing talent to work with

Cons

Work-life balance can be tough at times but you work because you want to and are passionate.

"The perfect journey for the adventurous heart"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Rivian full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Fast paced - Lots of stretch and growth opportunities to learn and mature your career - Opportunities to stamp your mark and have impact on deliverables - Work alongside strong and experienced colleagues - Great Leadership, starting with CEO downward. RJ will never ask something to be done without being willing to do it himself, beside you. - Fun and exciting work culture and environment

Cons

- Fast expanding company means growing pains like any other business as expected. - Tons of experienced employees, which also yield strong minds that can be challenging at times to partner - Too many hoops and hurdles to receive leadership approval, creates bottlenecks in daily work

"Best job I've ever had"

Current Employee - Communications Manager in Normal, IL

I have been working at Rivian full-time for less than a year

Pros

Company overall vision is very strong; people are treated with the utmost care and decisions are always made with health and welfare in mind; I love the energy of the leadership, the incredible workforce and knowledge base that has been assembled. I feel genuine desire to make change here.

Cons

We're pretty spread out with locations currently. Meshing a culture between tech and manufacturing is a challenging fit at times (one is very forward-focused and the other tends to do what is known to work). Newer and growing companies tend to have more pains of establishment.

"Building the plane while flying: say whaaa?"

Current Employee - Engineer in Irvine, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Rivian full-time for less than a year

Pros

Overall, there is an attempt to provide a good company culture. Funding exists, which affords some stability vs. other EV start-ups. Some strong teams are doing good work, which is driving progress forward. There are some really great colleagues. Helen appears to be doing an excellent job as Chief People Officer. She seems to really care, and I hope to continue seeing improvements thanks to her team.

Cons

Can we all agree you can't fly a plane that's not built? If you're missing a propeller or a wing, are you going to board that sucker? I don't think so. Maybe this metaphor is overly honest in that we're missing a correct order of operations. For example, having no time to improve design between iterations (i.e. a proper feedback loop). There will be many issues identified as we progress--how can these be successfully addressed as we near, enter, and ramp production? And initiate additional vehicle programs? Limited process is extolled as a company virtue. However, chaos/poor planning often result from a lack of defined process or management guidance on how to best move forward. In my opinion, there are significant overstatements regarding certain aspects of our technology and "innovation." Organizational structure (and equitable compensation/titles) are in disarray, but they're working on it. Cross-functional communication is also an issue they're attempting to address. Certain teams do not have sufficient experience or ability, which is a critical issue. This will become more evident with time, and for now, it creates additional burden on reliant groups. EVs also pose unique challenges, a fact that does not appear to be fully appreciated by leaders with performance vehicle experience.

Continue reading

"It is only in adventure that some people succeed in knowing themselves - in finding themselves !"

Current Employee - Senior Director in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Rivian full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I've worked at Rivian for three years now. It’s been a great journey working alongside very talented people. Everyone here is super motivated to achieve and exceed their goals. I’ve worked at both large companies and start-ups. I think Rivian has the best balance in terms of being innovative, moving fast and having the right level of processes to help it succeed. One of the things I really like about this company is the Rivian 101 culture. It is not something that just feels good to read but is lived in every decision of the company. The CEO is a visionary with genuine interest in making the world a better, more sustainable place. He has an eye for talent and is not afraid to challenge employees to reach their true potential. If you like being in your comfort zone, doing something that has been done numerous times, this is not a place for you. This is a place for adventurous people with a strong desire to change the world for better. And as they say, “Adventure is worthwhile in itself.”

Cons

Like every other company in this world that is growing rapidly, there are challenges and problems here too. But what is refreshing is that these problems are addressed before they get out of control. I’ve seen some very difficult decisions taken to maintain the culture of the organization.

Found 111 reviews