River Island Clothing Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

3.1
River Island Clothing CEO Ben Lewis
Ben Lewis
Pros
Cons
  • "Long hours, targets to meet can be hard(in 50 reviews)

• "Although the pay is slightly over minimum wage I don’t think the company do enough for their staff(in 47 reviews)

1. "Love working here!!"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in London, ON

I have been working at River Island Clothing full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I work with a small team of around 20 people. Collectively everyone is so hard working so the work load does not just fall on one person. Amazing staff discount.

Cons

The pay. Minimum wage only. Considering it is a company which turns over billions they should atleast give staff a pay rise.

Advice to Management

Stay the way you are. Keep all the bitchiness out and everyone will be happy.

River Island Clothing2016-01-09

February 16, 2016Head of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your lovely review, I will pass on your feedback

2. "Life in retail industry"

Former Employee - Sales Adviser in London, ON

I worked at River Island Clothing part-time for more than a year

Pros

Go staff discount is really goood

Cons

Foot fall could have been better

River Island Clothing2017-10-17

October 27, 2017Recruitment Officer

Thanks for your feedback.

3. "Sales Assistant"

I worked at River Island Clothing

Pros

Excellent Company Met some cool people whilst working there

Cons

Working hours Treat you unfairly if you don't have a voice in the company

River Island Clothing2016-11-10

January 12, 2017Recruitment Officer

Thanks for your review. We're glad you enjoyed your time with us.

4. "Terrible Experience - IT/RI Tech"

IT Drone in London, ON

I have been working at River Island Clothing

Pros

Payroll/Summer Fridays Er, that's about it

Cons

Bullying Lack of opportunities Poor management Intimidation Bullying Advertising a person's job whilst they are still there and not telling them. Constant threats about losing your job. Pay is laughable. Crappy support payments and unrealistic expectations. Dull, dull, dull. Permanent staff treated very badly compared to contractors. Contractors have been shafted too. Massive turnover of staff. Forcing... older staff out of the company. Unable to retain the new recruits. Give holiday, but expect you to just drop it for no compensation if they need you in. Unable to speak freely or criticise the regime - only very positive comments are allowed. HR are pathetic and seem to encourage the management's terrible behaviour, rather than trying to stop it. IT/RI Tech at River Island is Hell - morale is low, management are dictatorial and everyone is frightened. Please don't join this terrible company.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes and spend some time on the shop floor. Listen to your leavers' interviews and act on them Take a very close look at your senior management - you have some very bad apples. Take the bullying problems you have at your company seriously. Be aware you are pushing some people to breaking point/breakdowns because of the bullying and intimidation.

River Island Clothing2016-09-17

September 22, 2016Recruitment Officer

Thanks for your review.

5. "Good company to work for"

Current Employee - Floor Manager

I have been working at River Island Clothing full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good progression Good benefits Friendly Team Never Gets Boring Great first job

Cons

Dont appreciate management instores enough Some store managers take advantage

Advice to Management

be more fair to your team! they're the ones helping you to make your store a success. Don't make them miserable!

River Island Clothing2019-10-13
  6. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Assistant Buyer in London, England

I have been working at River Island Clothing full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great training and learning / development team Nice office with good selection of food/ drinks/canteen Interesting / compelling work

Cons

Slow progression Fast pace can mean long hours depending on team Office is next to a tip so can be a bit smelly in the summer

River Island Clothing2019-10-12
  7. "nice place to work for"

Current Employee - Sales Adviser in London, England

I have been working at River Island Clothing part-time for more than a year

Pros

friendly staff and mangement , nice clothes

Cons

not all management are nice

Advice to Management

be more understanding of employees and situations

River Island Clothing2019-10-12
  8. "decent part time job"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant

I worked at River Island Clothing part-time for more than a year

Pros

discounts 40% discounts on sale items at the end good management

Cons

pay is rather low for london wage

River Island Clothing2019-10-07
  9. "The People Team (HR) fell apart at the seams"

Former Employee - Head Office Employee in London, England

I worked at River Island Clothing full-time

Pros

Discount....in the past the culture

Cons

- High turnover of staff - Clear and obvious favouritism - Unfair and unequal treatment across the teams - Very poor communication While working here I watched the company go from a people focused, successful, brilliant place to work to unfortunately .... a horrible place to be with no interest in its people and awful communication. It's hard to say why or when it happened but believe its partly due to a... revolving door in the role of HRD and the fact I worked in the People Team, most of who were thoroughly miserable. How can a company thrive when its 'people people' the core of the business ...don't want to be there anymore. Promotions are given based on personal feeling/preference rather than hard work, skill and talent. At one point while we had no HRD one of the Heads of within the team quickly promoted various people (their friends) into newly created roles they had minimal skill in without it be advertised internally or even spoken about....our own recruitment team weren't even aware of it. This action went against the internal process the company had in place and left a bad taste. There was quite honestly one rule for one and a different rule for others made worse by the fact that decision making in the team is not regulated as its assumed to all be above board...being that its HR- this was not the case. Bad, sneaky and childish behaviours which stemmed specifically from the top in that team left it a toxic environment beyond saving. Only the CEO stepping in would have helped, an unbiased view for once......you would hope.

Advice to Management

Somebody senior outside of that team needs to take a long hard look at it and talk to the remaining team members to understand what is happening and address the max exodus of smart, committed, talented people

River Island Clothing2019-10-18
  10. "Good company"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Assistant

I have been working at River Island Clothing part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great people to meet. Good hours to suit me.

Cons

Other people not pulling weight

River Island Clothing2019-10-02