Riot Games Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Riot Games Reviews

Updated Dec 11, 2019

3.8
Riot Games CEO Nicolo  Laurent (no image)
Nicolo Laurent
Pros
  • "Riot is a great place for gamers(in 77 reviews)

• "Cares about Rioters: Riot has fantastic perks because they want to keep the talent (that's us) happy(in 67 reviews)

Cons
  • "work/life balance can be an issue if you don't know how to handle it(in 65 reviews)

• "Some Rioters lack a sense of appreciation(in 59 reviews)

1. "Friendly"

I worked at Riot Games full-time

Pros

get to put input for League of legends

Cons

balancing champions is hard for them

Riot Games2019-02-06

"Great company with performance anxiety"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Riot Games full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Dedicated people Actual gamers Does everything for the player

Cons

Doesn't always do everything for employees Has a hard time getting code out to players Tends to over-value pedigree from ivy league and mbas

Advice to Management

Tons of people want to be creative and the guard-rails are too tight

Riot Games2019-12-10
  3. "Probably the best place for games"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Riot Games full-time

Pros

Passion, people are extremely passionate about what they do. Riot also compensates its employees much better than any other game studio.

Cons

Sometimes people take passion as a free ticket to be toxic. But honestly I've seen this happen at all companies. Also there's a lot of fat that could be trimmed at the company.

Riot Games2019-12-12
  4. "Best Game Company"

Current Employee - Senior Concept Artist in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Creative freedom is really nice

Cons

Becoming a bit corporate

Riot Games2019-11-21

"Your Quality of Life Depends on Your Team"

Current Employee - Production in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Some of the smartest people I've ever worked with. It's nice you can just leave for the doctor or for a date whenever you want without needing to ask anyone. And best of all free food everywhere. Kombucha on tap!! Beer!! If you're on a good team, it's the best company in the world. When it's fun it's really really fun. Great parties.

Cons

Some of the most entitled people I've ever worked with and lots of people waste time playing games, but miss their deadlines. Terrible management in some teams, poor learning and development so those bosses never level up. Very low pay compared to the cost of living in Santa Monica. If you have college debt you're gonna be paycheck to paycheck. Everything depends on your team. God help you if you're stuck with one... of the bad managers, you're career will be stonewalled forever. We reorg so often that I've known people who have had more managers than years they've been working here. We talk about accountability but few people are truly held accountable for anything from sexual harassment claims to product failures. Politics and backstabbing is getting depressingly high and people are leaving because managers let other people take credit for their direct report's work.

Advice to Management

You know it's bad when there was a secret Google doc going around where people listed their salaries. Because of that I found out I was being overpaid compared to Rioters who were making less than me but bringing more value to the company. I was embarrassed, but it's not my fault. Shouldn't management be taking care of this? Alot of those people were women who ended up leaving since that doc went around. That's bad.... We're losing some of the best most talented Rioters because of bad decisions made by leaders who don't deserve their title or salary. I feel like they got there because of the bro code. I feel sometimes like I'm one of those guys who fell upward that people talk about, too. I hope not. That feels bad man. Anyway. We need to do something. We got to ship those games we promised the world and we won't do it if long time Rioters are leaving because they're fed up.

Riot Games2019-11-20
  6. "Great for Everyone"

Current Employee - Producer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It has some of the best facilities and opportunities. Well rounded workplace and benefits.

Cons

Not able to appreciate hard work. Not for everyone.

Riot Games2019-12-02
  7. "Some great people, fun projects, sparkly campus, but at its core, its a rotten company."

Former Employee - Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Riot Games full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

My perspective is the sum of my personal experiences at Riot over 4.5 years there as a manager. I left on my own accord and on good terms. Your experience may be entirely different. Choose your adventure wisely. - The executive team and the entire company has really focused heavily on changing Riot for the better when it comes to diversity and inclusion, and it definitely shows. (I don't think this would have... been the case though unless Kotaku broke the article about it. Leadership at Riot is entrenched.) - Really fun campus to work at (if you work in Los Angeles) - There are some of the most amazing individuals I have ever met and worked with there. - Working on games is fun. - You will grow a lot at Riot. - Riot pays well. - Fully subsidized coffee and food! - A lot of opportunities to speak directly to the company leadership if you are comfortable asking questions in front of the entire company. - Play games at work is fun. - Great open schedule with as much time off as you want.

Cons

- The smart but inexperienced often get put in charge (if they're popular "yes" types) of the seasoned experienced people and subject matter experts, which leads to infinite cycles of grey hairs, screaming into the void, and tears. - Raising real concerns about issues when it directly calls into question decisions leaders make is a big no no. Quickest path to nowhere at Riot on most teams. - Riot can be pretty... clique-y. - “Business Unit Leaders” / departmental heads battle with one another constantly and the CEO is too new and inexperienced to make calls to rectify problems. - Prepare yourself for lots of politics. - Finding anything (assets, knowledge, etc...) in the company requires Sherlock Holmes level investigative techniques. - A group of original people who started at Riot with minimal outside experience have been promoted to director/VP levels - They are pretty much immune to being fired, short of being the subject of an expose by a journalist. They are entrenched. Some of them are bullies. Some of them have no social skills. Some of them are grossly incompetent people who only surround themselves with "yes" people. Some of them create or have created highly toxic workplaces. "good ol boys club" mentality is still in full swing at Riot, even if they're not sexually harassing people anymore. - Riot doesn't do a great job at aligning goals from the front lines up to the CEO. There is no OKR type system, so things can get really messy and confusing. - The "product" and "delivery" disciplines are in charge of everything, yet they are the most unorganized group at the company. - HR/Talent is a dysfunctional organization. They are not your friend and they are not invested in YOU as an employee. They are purely there to reduce liability for Riot. They operate in total secrecy. They report to a department leader, not to someone in charge of HR which is an inherent conflict of interest. Don't trust them. - Culturally, you will be expected to “be positive”. It reminds me a lot of Theranos or the Fyre festival. (Watch those documentaries, they're good!). This comes at the expense of leaders finding out what’s really wrong with products or teams and doing things about it. Or if they know, they don't care to change. The majority of the time, most concerns or problems have the feeling of being “swept under the rug”. - If a leader is at fault, problems are usually not addressed without anything short of a public outcry. This often creates a secret toxic environment you should be very aware of. A lot of leaders within Riot want "Yes" people, not people who challenge their thinking or raise issues. If you want an example of this, Riot's sexual harassment culture didn't change until a string of Kotaku articles embarrassed leadership publicly enough for them to change things. This is endemic to Riot's senior leadership across so many fronts, its hard to count. - Steer clear of IPC (IP Creative, formerly known as CDev and IPSD - they've had to re-brand themselves several times. Make of that what you will.) They’re completely dysfunctional, have incompetent and abusive leaders, and will cause you a lot of pain. You will walk away with serious scar tissue if you work there. Their reputation is infamous within the company. - Steer clear of international publishing. It's a huge mess. There is constant infighting between all of the departmental leaders across Riot.

Advice to Management

- Put leaders in charge of the company who have done this before (and that's no one who started their career at Riot) - Listen to your subject matter experts. Put them in charge. - Don't put people in charge of departments who are bullies or abrasive. - Stop sweeping problems under the rug. - Show more concern about your employees on the front lines. Even the ones outside of game teams. - Hold leaders more... accountable. - Organize the company properly. - If you need to lay people off, do it with dignity. Don't just leave them "hanging" until they quit themselves. This is happening at Riot a LOT.

Riot Games2019-12-07

"Full speed on gaming but not all promised is true"

I worked at Riot Games full-time

Pros

Flexible working environment, gaming - of course - is huge, great scope for action

Cons

partly overly political, unhealthy competition between HQ and local/regional offices, weak leadership

Riot Games2019-11-06
  9. "Lots of greatness with pockets needing work"

Current Employee - Senior Brand Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time for more than a year

Pros

Overall love the company. Fantastic perks. Great comp -- especially relative to gaming but generally true. Good people with the occasional jerk. Much better work-life balance than anywhere else I know of in gaming. Lots of opportunity to change roles. People change jobs a lot though sometimes these are horizontal moves. Real commitment to fixing the parts of company culture that need work while keeping... the parts that don't. Recommend you take the time to talk to people that actually work here and don't believe everything you read. The future is really exciting and the next few years will be incredible.

Cons

Company org chart is overly complicated. You'll find overlapping jobs and areas where there isn't clear ownership.

Advice to Management

Management can feel out of touch. Make sure to spend time with lower level teams too.

Riot Games2019-10-12

"Needs to focus on better leaders"

Former Employee - Creative

I worked at Riot Games full-time for more than a year

Pros

Perks standards and always name recognition

Cons

Boys club. The company is getting better. But really needs more maturity.

Advice to Management

Just need people from outside to loosen process up.

Riot Games2019-09-22