Cover image for Riipen

61% Recommend to a Friend
78% Approve of CEO

Found 34 of over 48 reviews

3.2
Riipen Co-Founder/CEO Dana Stephenson (no image)
Dana Stephenson

The latest conversations about Teachers

Join the conversation on

Teachers

1y

a

West Virginia Elementary School Teacher

Who is taking the COVID-19 Shot? Do you think all teachers should?

2,937

976 Comments

Join the conversation on
  1. 5.0

Great place to work

Mar. 25, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Mission-driven organization working in the education sector. Supportive management that focuses on career development. Remote work.

Cons

The company is completely remote for now (con for people who prefer office setting).

Riipen Response

Hey there! Thank you for posting your experience of working at Riipen - I am thrilled that you have had an awesome experience and I am strive to maintain that experience for you and everyone else at Riipen.

2. 3.0
    Former Employee

Good Company to work

Nov. 6, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Friendly staff, Flexible work environment and good work-life balance, good benefits

Cons

Lack of training and standardized processes, too many changes in short period of time

Be the first to find this review helpful
  3. Join the Riipen team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 4.0

Great Culture

Oct. 11, 2022 - Prefer to Keep Anonymous in Vancouver, BC
    Business Outlook

Pros

- great culture, very friendly people - investment in HR = investment in people. They put a lot of effort into: training, organizing information to be easily accessible, team events. - 100% remote

Cons

- with any start up company there can easily be a change in direction of projects or re-prioritization. If you are familiar with start ups you should know this and if you aren't then be prepared for this type of working environment. - Vancouver co-working space could be at a better location with nicer space

5. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Ed tech

Aug. 17, 2022 - Client Success Associate in Toronto, ON
    Business Outlook

Pros

Hiring manager knows who to takes

Cons

Lay off people at will

2 people found this review helpful
  6. 4.0
    Current Employee

Mission Driven Team

Aug. 4, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

- great team - important mission

Cons

- changes happen quite often

7. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Don't work here if you love yourself!

Aug. 24, 2022 -  in Toronto, ON
    Business Outlook

Pros

Culture is better one on one, team meetings are ackward! Flexible schedule

Cons

Culture is nice at first, until you start seeing favoritism, if you're not as cut throat and fake as others your efforts will go unnoticed and resentment sets in. High turn over due to low pay and poor management. High management turn over results in confusion and miscommunication for teams. CEO doesn't acknowledge you unless you're fake. Off boarding was a nightmare! It felt like you were literally being kicked out the door. Very little onboarding! Noticeable ageism!!! Myself and 3 others were all over the age of 40 and thrown out with the trash, younger doesn't always equate to better. Many tears of frustration were shed!

Continue reading
    3 people found this review helpful
  8. 1.0
    Current Employee

Great mission, bad execution

Jul. 20, 2022 - Account Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

- 4 weeks paid vacation - remote-first culture - most people are very passionate about improving the higher-education space - good work/life balance overall

Cons

- generally feedback/improvements that are suggested go out into the ether and are not actioned - title changes happen very frequently but often the biggest difference in the 'new role' is changing the Hubspot sequence people are sending, versus meaningful responsibility shift - its been previously highlighted that there is high turnover, but people are leaving their positions for equally paying or lesser paying jobs due to high dissatisfaction with their roles - there is poor collaboration between the technical side (product, etc) and the rest of the company - insufficient transparency on pathways to growth - some executives strategically make no effort to form relationships with employees that don't serve their immediate needs - though the company is supposed to be a SAAS organization (software as a service), it is more a service as a software -_- - following tense town hall q&a's, the tone towards employee feedback has often been tactless, most notably a heated speech from an executive team member about the "dispensability of employees"

6 people found this review helpful

Riipen Response

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on your experience at Riipen. If you are a current employee - I would love to help you and hear you in a more productive forum if you are comfortable in taking this conversation offline and more personally. I do want to respond to a few of the points you raised as you took the time to share them. I am sure it can feel like the feedback and suggestions you raise aren’t being addressed, but I can assure you the that they are heard, and what we can address, we do, if it makes sense to the business. The same can be said for the feedback around our Product Team. Many suggestions that come to our leadership around improvements are product related, they are vetted, assessed, costed and then either actioned or not. Our current Engineering project is an incredible endeavour to address a number of improvements Riipen is committed to making to our product; and I am so excited to see the impact it will make to our team. All that said, if there are any actions right now that you would suggest we action, I would love to hear them, one of my key goals for Q3 is to gather as many inputs into operational systems as possible and put together a list of pain points and resolve as many them as I can. Title changes: it pains me to hear this feedback from you, but I am glad you shared it as it tell me that we are missing the mark in how we talk about promotions and role changes. We don’t believe in title bumps for the sake of it, any role that undergoes a title change has a matching new role description which is papered and an amendment to an employment contract. We have a defined compensation philosophy that goes along with this and we even go as far as stating that we don’t do metic increases, salary increases come with a significant change in responsibility - we stand by have a zero gender pay gap and this policy is essential when it comes to Riipen operating with transparency and integrity. I appreciate that this isn't how you have experienced things and I would love to understand more about how this has impacted you so we can improve. Turnover: we have made no attempts to hide the fact that turnover has been high, it has been high in all industries but your statement is false - those leaving are often going after roles we cannot give them here at Riipen to use skills that have been able to hone and craft during their time here. If they take a pay cut to follow their dreams, that's sometimes the sacrifice folks choose to make, but most individuals have been in the wonderful position to increase their comp in following their dreams. We clearly failed you in such a way that you felt this post was necessary and that your interpretation of Riipen was / is your lived truth and for this I am sincerely sorry that you feel this way. You deserve to love where you work and the work that you do. The door is never closed if you want to have a conversation on how to fall in love with your work again. - Sarah

9. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

No Support

Jul. 14, 2022 - Software Developer in Winnipeg, MB
    Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits started immediately and the overall compensation package was great.

Cons

Dev team is nominally managed. There was no onboarding, no documentation, none of the important elements of scrum, no timelines for work except their Next Big Project and no clear expectations for what my role entailed. I was thrown into the deep end and every time I asked for help, the team lead did not follow through with it. Information and work is badly siloed. There was very little work related conversation in public slack channels that was initiated by someone who was not me. The devs were all working solo on their projects for all but two weeks of my time there. Dev team seemed to do lip service to the DE&I stuff the rest of the company was doing. I have never felt more isolated in a work place.

Continue reading
    4 people found this review helpful

Riipen Response

Hi there - it pains me to hear that you found your experience at Riipen to be so difficult, especially within the dev team who has one of the strongest sub-cultures in our organization, often leading the way with team engagement scores, and job tenure. We did not live up to your expectations and for that I am sincerely sorry. As you acknowledge, we are in the midst of building a new offering (Next Big Project) and that in itself is a huge undertaking with a lot of learning, creativity and teamwork required from the team, and I appreciate you sharing that this wasn't what you hoped it would be. Thank you for the time you did spend with is us and I sincerely hope you find a role that fulfills you. Sarah - VP, People & Culture

10. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Poor leadership, low salaries, disorganized mess

Apr. 16, 2022 - Account Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Mission is great and 4 weeks vacation

Cons

people get promoted without the necessary skills to lead, very little training, teams are siloed, turnover is constant

3 people found this review helpful

Riipen Response

Hi there. Thank you for taking the time and effort to leave a review - your experience at Riipen, good, bad, or in between is worthy of sharing and I thank you for doing so. That said, I would like to address a few things just so anyone reading is able to see a full picture. In terms of salaries, I am sorry to hear that you feel they are low, compensation is such a tricky thing to compare. We have a very transparent pay model, with bands all employees can see and we gave 7% minimum raises at the end of 2021 - that said, there are industries not in our market that pay more, not all companies are equal in terms of pay given their size, stage and industry. In the past people did get promoted and had little support in developing the right skill sets - you are on the money with your observation, so much so that we have been working really hard to address this and provide the support folks deserve. We implemented a process for internal interviewing for roles, robust manager training curriculum for anyone moving into a people leadership role. We even have a future leaders cohort for folks who want to develop in that area so when the time comes, they are ready. We can do more, and I hope that we can further double down on how we think about training and supporting our team to develop the skills they need. Turnover has been high - it's been high everywhere and it has enabled us to hire some of the best talent we have seen - the turnover in many ways, has been a blessing albeit is difficult to stomach at the time, especially when you may see your friends leaving. I note that is says you are a current employee - my heart breaks for you feeling so disillusioned with your employment. The past 12 months the P&C Team and the whole of the leadership team have worked to make significant changes at Riipen in order for us to be able to further that mission that you list as Pro. It hasn’t been easy, the waves of very necessary change have been uncomfortable for everyone, but they were essential. I am also sure that you have seen all the incredible things we have done to help you (and your team members) have a solid experience including wholly new benefits, WFH stipend, a Health Spending Account, a new online handbook, better recruitment, a huge commitment to DE&I, funded Professional Development that you can choose, paid parental leave, created a charitable giving program and most importantly, I made a personal commitment to hearing your feedback and acting on it as much as appropriately possible. I would love to hear from you directly, confidentially, of course, but if I don't hear from you, thank you for telling us about your experience. If we can turn it around for you - I would love to do that, if not - I wish you every success & happiness wherever you go.

11. 3.0
    Former Employee

Some great people

Apr. 12, 2022 - Customer Delight Representative in Vancouver, BC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great mission Positioned for growth Good benefits

Cons

Lots of staff turnover resulting in on boarding and leadership issues Passive aggressive communication

2 people found this review helpful

Riipen Response

Hey there - thank you for taking the time to post your review and doing so, honestly and transparently. The pros you listed are spot on and thank you for calling them out - the cons you listed also provide great insight to anyone considering joining Riipen. Turnover has been high (noone is having a good time with this wave of resignations) but it really has allowed us to find some extraordinary talent to join our team and while tough to swallow at the time, is part of our evolution and moves to further our mission. I would like to clarify, if you are talking about company wide communication it is never the intent to be passive-aggressive but always as transparent as possible, even when talking about the difficult stuff. If you are someone who is impacted by a change or even perhaps disagree with it, I can totally understand how that could be interpreted as passive aggressive, thank you for calling that out, it is something I will personally take on board as we continue to evolve and grow. Thanks again and wishing you every success & happiness on your continued journey thank you for being a part of Riipen!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 34 Reviews
</>Embed

Riipen Reviews FAQs

Riipen has an overall rating of 3.2 out of 5, based on over 48 reviews left anonymously by employees. 61% of employees would recommend working at Riipen to a friend and 49% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -13% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Riipen employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.5 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Riipen. This rating has decreased by -3% over the last 12 months.

61% of Riipen employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Riipen 4.3 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.4 for culture and values and 3.1 for career opportunities.