Reynolds American Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Reynolds American Reviews

Updated 26 February, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Team spirit with good work life balance (in 36 reviews)

• Great benefits - focused on making RAI one of the best companies to work for (in 69 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is very challenging (in 18 reviews)

• tobacco industry has a lot of negative perceptions most of which not valid - legal industry - operating very ethically (in 20 reviews)

"Great start sales position"

Pros

Great entry level sales position

Cons

Management can determine if you enjoy or dislike job

"Glass ceiling"

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great training, decent pay, and decent benefits.

Cons

Too many cliques, no advancement for African Americans, and core values only means something to a few instead of the masses - especially senior leadership.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach, and get rid of the bad apples. People of color have no realistic chance of making it to the top. Glass ceiling!

"Territory Manager Review"

Pros

-Independent, yet high performing work environment
    -Competitive pay and benefits
    -Company is invested in developing talent
    - Transparency from management

Cons

The capacity for even moderately intelligent conversations is very minimal in this role. I often feel as if the retailers, whom I talk to for the entire work day, slowly eat away at my ability to think critically. If you take this job, I suggest that you also pick up some type of mental exercise hobby (i.e. sudoku, word puzzle, etc.) in order to retain any mental sharpness you may currently possess.

Advice to Management

Contract more merchandisers/ third party work to do the heavy lifting.

5. "Good company"

Current Employee - Territory Manager III
    Current Employee - Territory Manager III

Pros

Great company to work.
    Good training programs.
    Competitive benefits.
    Lately we can se that the company is taking care more about the employess.
    Good work life balance time.

Cons

Once you star in field trade promotions are not easy to get.
    Depends on where you work there is a lot of micromanagement.
    Take more than the average time to get a promotion.
    As a TM you are competing agains and average of 70 people for a promotion.

6. "Great company to work for"

Pros

The company does what they can in order to make sure we have a great work life balance and supplies us with very competitive benefits. If you stay on top of your development and you are eager to learn, you will love this company.

Cons

Unfortunately, being a highly regulated business, there is not 100% transparency. However if you can think on your feet and meet tight deadlines(which overall is rare) there are no major drawbacks

Advice to Management

Be as transparent as possible

"I'd give RAI a 10 if I could!"

Current Employee - Lead Manager in Winston-Salem, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Lead Manager in Winston-Salem, NC (US)

I have been working at Reynolds American (More than a year)

Pros

Reynolds is BY FAR the best place I've ever worked...and I've worked at some pretty fabulous places over my 20+ years career. There is a true and unrelenting dedication to ensuring all employees are learning and developing on an ongoing basis. Instead of punishing an employee for a skill weakness, managers are empowered and expected to see that their people get the training and development needed to ensure success and growth.

There is a true team environment here as well - if you need help getting work done - others step up and help you. It's what's expected because when you succeed, everyone else succeeds too.

The benefits offered by the company are far and away the best that I've ever had - and they are always evolving to meet the changing needs of employees.

When you are hired here, the company begins the relationship with you expecting and anticipating that you will work here until you retire. Therefore, they want you to succeed at work and in your personal, financial and family life so that when retirement comes, you are ready. This is such a great way to give employees peace of mind and encouragement to stay.

Lastly, the company is made up of the smartest and nicest group of people that I've ever had the pleasure of working alongside!

Cons

Public perception of what we do/how we do it is counter to what it's really like to work here. Sometimes it's a challenge to help others understand that we do our business with honesty, integrity and transparency.

Advice to Management

Amazing company with a leadership team like no other - as transitions happen, please ensure that the foundation remains strong and rooted in the values and principles currently in place.

8. "Great Company - Great People"

Current Employee - Senior Division Manager

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Vision for the future of the tobacco industry
    - Top rated training and learning opportunities
    - Great benefits - focused on making RAI one of the best companies to work for
    - Opportunities to grow with the company

Cons

- Working for RAI typically requires mobility
    - If you want to move up within the company and live in a specific city outside of Winston Salem, you will not be able to.

Advice to Management

Keep improving the benefits to the people at the company and keep investing in the skills of the people. Focus on the talents of individuals vs. the mobility of individuals. In order to keep the best talent, there will have to be compromise in this area.

9. "Territory Manager"

Current Employee - Territory Manager III in Gainesville, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Territory Manager III in Gainesville, FL (US)

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Company truly cares about the employees. Nice beginning salary and raises on a annual basis based on your performance and company overall performance. Company vehicle can be used for personal. Good Healthcare options

Cons

Deadlines can be difficult if you do not plan ahead. You have to be a self starter. You are competing against your peers in the rankings.

10. "RAI = Great Company + Great Benefits"

Current Employee - Senior Division Manager

I have been working at Reynolds American (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Great benefits including: 100% 401k match up 6%, Medical, Dental, Vision, Access to free financial advisors, Tuition reimbursement, Company car (brand new GMC Terrain), cell phone stipend, home internet stipend, wellness programs to keep in shape, up to 4 weeks vacation, and that's just to name a few!

-Flexible schedule
    -Work-hard, play hard atmosphere
    -Great people within the organization
    -Very innovative product pipeline
    -Invests heavily in people's development
    -Current management team is making positive changes

Cons

-Your happiness can depend on your immediate manager (as with all organizations)
    -The company focus can change quickly from one category/product to another.
    -At times it can feel like there is a push-pull relationship between home office and the field.
    -The company is progressive with its products, but slow to implement new programs or technology, unless the competition forces us to react. Very reactive.

Advice to Management

-Consider implementing new ideas for programs / technology platforms rather than waiting for the competition to force our hand. Be more proactive as one of the titans in the CPG industry.
    -Consider diversifying outside of tobacco
    -Continue to explore ways to allow employees to customize their career path

11. "Concentrate on the employees that make the business sucessful"

Current Employee - Mechanic in Tobaccoville, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Mechanic in Tobaccoville, NC (US)

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time

Pros

Good benefits decent pay

Cons

Too many managers time off can be tough to get

Advice to Management

We all know you don't want to cut your own but when managers outnumber people actually producing the product there is a problem. When there are new job opportunities do not hire someone who knows nothing about the business there are plenty of qualified employees that truly would make a difference. Reward excellence besides a once a year bonus. Why try harder all year when the only reward that you can get is possibly a 4 on your review and increase your bonus by $2000? When there is no chance of any type of a merit pay increase you get excellent employees that just stagnate and do enough to get by.