Reynolds American Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Reynolds American Reviews

Updated 19 October, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • RAI offers benefits such as work from home to suport work/life balance (in 46 reviews)

• Great benefits -- company car, paid vacation (Currently 5 weeks for me (in 77 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is still a little rough however they are making strides to help with this (in 27 reviews)

• Stigma attached to the tobacco industry (in 24 reviews)

"Frivolous"

Former Employee - Senior Key Account Manager in El Paso, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Key Account Manager in El Paso, TX (US)

I worked at Reynolds American full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people you work with are great, I worked with some insightful people over the years and managed some great talent... also the stock has performed well historically and benefits are good like others have mentioned.

Cons

This job itself (especially TM level) might be the most frivolous job I have ever had... and this company has jobs.. not careers.

Lately it's just overloading the field with mundane launches and pointless changes... where both field employees and customers both rolls their eyes.... really just a pointless job frankly, glad to be leaving for greener pastures...

Advice to Management

Lots of folks leaving, and it's easy to see why from these reviews... guess I am not the only one. The field doesn't mind the influx of work... but please make salary coincide with the bold changes/workload.

"Watch Out"

Former Employee - TMIII in Lake Elsinore, CA (US)
    Former Employee - TMIII in Lake Elsinore, CA (US)

I worked at Reynolds American full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Have been with Reynolds over 13 years and loved almost every minute of it, but the last 2 years I cannot express its been that way. Change is a sure thing... but this type of "change" is taking advantage of field employees and burning them
    Out.

- benefits good
    - good people (most)
    - car package

Cons

The last 2 years the company has tripled (or 4x really) the workload... yet have not increased salary.... it's an unlivable wage as it is on metro areas. Also, data reports are being used like a "big brother" to shove product down people's throats that don't sell (and everyone knows this)

Advice to Management

Hope it's worth it, better get used to a higher turnover and fracturing customer relationships

3. "TM"

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time

Pros

Great Management, Terrific Culture and Co-Workers!

Cons

None - This Is A Great Company To Work For!

Advice to Management

Keep Doing What You Are Doing!

"Culture Crash"

Former Employee - Territory Manager II in Calhoun City, MS (US)
    Former Employee - Territory Manager II in Calhoun City, MS (US)

I worked at Reynolds American full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

People you work with & freedom to work from home like many other outside sales jobs almost every promo is now outweighed by the cons below...

Cons

Turned into a tracking and big brother company with Countless brand launches and the ability to make cigarette pricing into a mess worse than college algebra. Every week is a new "initiative" and "focus" and it had to be done yesterday... give me a break.

Advice to Management

What happened? People used to feel "lucky" to work for this company... now people can't wait To get out

6. "Good work for self-motivated, organized people"

Current Employee - Account Manager in New Orleans, LA (US)
    Current Employee - Account Manager in New Orleans, LA (US)

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits
    Decent pay straight out of college with room for advancement if you are able to relocate
    17 days paid vacation to start
    6% (match) + 3% 401k contribution by employer
    you pay $150/month and have company car with paid gas, insurance, maintenance. Unlimited personal use.
    Ability to earn Hotel/airline points if you are in a position that requires travel
    Generous per diem while travelling (& you'll never have to stay at a best western)
    Flexible Schedule
    Plenty of training provided
    Fast-Paced results driven work environment
    Great teammates and mentors within the organization
    Annual Bonus
    Good pay once you are a manager or have 3+ years
    Strong Portfolio, positive outlook

Cons

Some positions require travel (10-90%)
    Advancement opportunities are limited if you are not able to relocate
    Collaboration can be difficult because you do not see your coworkers often
    Stigma attached to the tobacco industry
    There are a lot of demands on your time, many weeks can be over 40 hours, especially in a management role
    Endless pipeline of new initiatives coming at you
    Advancement requires visibility to managers, which can take some time
    Managers can be inconsistent

Advice to Management

More transparency on the "Why" behind decisions and new initiatives
    Strive for consistency in processes from region to region and sales area to sales area
    Ask for input from field, and if you ask for input, use it

"Territory Manager 2"

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Your co-workers are the best thing about this job. I've never met anyone in the TM role that I didn't like. There is also great benefits like a company car. The job itself is very easy and you get paid well enough for it.

Cons

There are several.
    1. CEs are a little degrading, I mean I didn't get a college degree to pass out coupons.
    2. You have to relocate to get this job and most of the time it's to a place where you know no one and you work alone. So it can be a lonely job.
    3. The bonus program makes little, to no sense.
    4. The job is very repetitive. Management likes to think we are having high level business discussions every store visit. But in reality, most store visits are just merchandising.
    5. You office is a convenience store.

Advice to Management

Get the brand teams aligned with each other. Every brand team wants to push a new initiative just because another brand did. This makes people in the field miserable.

""Who's your DM?""

Pros

>Great sales training
    >Learning something new everyday
    >Company has no problem spending

Cons

>Everything is a weekly firedrill
    >Reactivate to competition...throws of planning
    >Snitch culture

Advice to Management

None the industry is dying.

"Territory Manager I =Got Stress?"

Former Employee - Territory Manager I
    Former Employee - Territory Manager I

I worked at Reynolds American full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Car for personal Use
    - Decent place to start career
    - Training Seminars Are very good
    - Not a bad company for the CPG industry
    - insurance is great

Cons

- Stress is unvelievablel for territory managers... more and more tasks for the same pay? Come on...be serious.
    - CE's are out of control with expectations.. it's become kind of a joke now and part of the reason I left.
    - The moving around to get promoted thing is outdated guys... people will just leave and find a better job.

Advice to Management

Wake up. Look at these reviews and how they are trending.. I am a small example of more to come... I left and found a higher paying job with 1/8 the stress and without the unrealistic workload and didn't have to change my entire life to do it.

Also... stop calling yourself a sales company when you launch >5 brands in a year.... it's all tasks... not sales.. sales pays commissions and doesn't revolve around a room where people talk about cool stuff ya did last year and rate you.

10. "Overall good place to work"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Kansas City, MO (US)

I worked at Reynolds American (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Pay, Great benefits (matching 401K 6%, company car with everything taken care of, great training, flexible) good exposure

Cons

To be blunt, Reynolds focuses on promoting diversity candidates who may be unqualified - which can lead to poor upper management credibility.

"Territory manager 3"

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

What most have said-good perks and salary, especially after a few years.

Cons

Consumer engagements are getting out of control. Ce's are when you engage consumers buying a tobacco product in an attempt to get them to try one of yours by selling them on it and then discounting it through a coupon. CE's were once my favorite part of the job! It was a way to chat with customers and break away from the mundane executional responsibilities. In addition, I believe in most of our products and enjoyed providing customers with a better product while making a tangible sale. Now, I have prayed to every God and cult leader that our ability to perform CE's will be revoked so that I can get back to work.

Imagine your favorite thing about your job. Then imagine your boss becomes completely obsessed with that thing and humps your leg 8 hours a day trying to get you to do it more, and more, and more. Your love of that thing would turn to loathing. The goal is 1000 coupons per TM. Most managers and directors are pushing everyone to double it through fake smiles and forced enthusiasm. Why? So directors have bragging rights? 1000 is MORE than enough. It's sickening. To boot, most of management is baffled that these pushes are causing bad behaviors by tm's to inflate their numbers. The Houston region might as well be renamed "perfunctory ce contest region".

Conversations with my coworkers all over the country reveal that this attitude is widespread. Everyone is hoping someone will do something stupid during a CE on purpose so that we can't do them in stores anymore. That person would immediately become the saviour of all TM's. Like a real life RJR Bill Braskey.

Advice to Management

It won't matter, nothing grows volume and market share like buying your own.