Revel Systems "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Revel Systems Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated May 5, 2017

3.2
Revel Systems CEO Greg Dukat (no image)
Greg Dukat
Pros
  • "Free lunch and unlimited supply of snacks is also a nice perk(in 34 reviews)

• "Free food and additional life insurance(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours and forced employees to work crazy hours the end of the month(in 20 reviews)

• "Maintaining a good work life balance is on you(in 14 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews

"Don't trust fake reveiws"

Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Revel Systems full-time

Pros

Stocked snack kitchen. Some cool people to work with.

Cons

Everything. Poor sales training and structure. No vacation time. Crappy health care. No work life balance. Accounts get taken away from you for no reason. If they don't like you, expect to get let go'd pretty fast. They will not help you succeed. Turn over is so high, they can't even keep their seats filled in the office. SDRs and AE quit or get fired within 3-6 months. Very toxic environment. If the leadership had to step down obviously the company isn't a great place to be.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees fair, and maybe you can improve your employee retention.

Revel Systems2017-05-05

"Honest Review: Great People, Terrible Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Revel Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

First I would like to say is most of the 5 star reviews are fake. They all seem to follow a similar format for the pros with a jokingly "con". Please don't be fooled by them thinking Revel is going to be amazing place. While there are pros, there are many cons. The former CTO/Co-founder is starting a new company which would get rid of "fakes" of the internet where users must authenticate their true identity before posting. I find this very ironic as this page is littered with fake reviews so if his company is to succeed, I would love to see who REALLY wrote some of these 5-star reviews. What prompt me to write this is to give a truthful insight of my experience with the company. And to hopefully outset some of these 5 star reviews that are clearly fabricated. - Meet some incredible people who you actually will continue to be in contact with well after leaving the company. - Loads of snacks and occasionally some new ones every now and then - Free lunch every day, can't complain about free even if it feels bland after few months - Direct managers do actually care about your well-being. While they may not have the power to flip everything around for you, they're in the same boat as you (most of the time). - some nice perks like commuter, gym, cell phone reimbursement. While some of these are standard now, it's still nice to have - the skills you learn due the overwhelming tasks you must perform will definitely boost your career for your next job after Revel - when the product is working, it feels nice to help out small businesses - Did I forget to mention the people? ride together die together mentality where everyone shares the same pains - I worked with some people overseas in other offices, they're some of the best people to work with.

Cons

- Pay is lower than market rate. The pay isn't the best, people who leave normally find jobs that pay much more. - it's pure chaos. The product is very buggy. There was such a huge emphasize of making "new features instead of fixing the existing product. Perhaps this will now change under new leadership as the original CEO + CTO are now gone. Way too many experimental things that I won't name that further complicated things. While it may have worked at first, it only piled on more problems to fix and headaches for end user. Here's a thing running a simulated iPad running on special version of Revel, that is connected to this box thing that runs into here and there then into the iPad. All these backyard "hacks" seemed great at first, but never delivered the promised performance you would expect. - If you plan on leaving the company, make it a priority to purchase whatever stock options you are vested in. If you leave the company, you have 90 days to purchase what you're vested in. When I contacted them after I've departed, they told me "The grant listed in your offer letter from January 2015 has not yet been officially granted by the Board of Directors." This was sent back to me in 2016 shortly after I contacted them after I departed. Take it from me, I recommend getting them before leaving because once you're out, they'll send you to dead-ends until your 90 days are up. Maybe this is different now under the new CEO. - If you work in any position that directly in contact with customers, get ready for a lot of screaming, yelling, threats, legal action, etc. I guess this is normal with any customer support position but it pains to hear the hardship customers go through If I worked at Starbucks, I wouldn't feel bad if the latte I made doesn't have enough whip cream, but if your system lost all your credit card transitions from the night and you cannot pay out your waiters. Well, it's hard not to take the customer's side especially if you know it's not their fault. - Unlimited PTO in the day is a double edged sword. Looked down upon if you take too many. I hear this is going away which I suppose is a good thing. - Occasionally, a new update to the product will utterly destroy compatibility with older hardware we formerly supported thus leaving customers in the dark until it is patched days/weeks later. Try explaining that to them over the phone. - Sales rep blame the support team for not doing their job, and tech support blame sales for over-promising the product. So here's really at fault? Probably a combination of both but doesn't matter as we both suffer - When they try to hype up the company at events, it's incredibly corny and cheesy. A lot of false hope or lies about how well the company is doing, how we're the best in the market, etc. I would say though, the all-hands meeting at the comedy club was funny as heck. - You may notice a lot of management changes, lay offs, etc. I've seen my fair share of VP of Sales, VP of Support, Director of this and that. Many come in excited to make a real change but only to leave due to the disorganization of the company. Bets would be made to see how long this one would last. It was that bad. It was sad to do but unfortunate truth. - There isn't much work/life balance here, you work at work, you work at home at night, you work on your day off. You may receive a call while you're on vacation to work. You're in the hospital room giving birth to your 2nd child, you work. Okay that last one is an exaggeration but you get the point. I understand this may be the norm for bootstrap start ups but this company should be way passed that stage. Don't let your manager make you feel guilty for you not contributing to the success of company because you didn't want to work 16 hours. - There isn't much for career growth, you'll be stuck at what you're doing. The best you'll probably do is become a team lead. You may be able to jump to a different department, but after the years I've worked there, people who jump to a completely different department tend to get fired very shortly after. Not always the case but most of the time. Your best bet is to move what little bit of upwards you have in the same department CAUTION: The following is so totally true - Sometimes, there are no more Coronas on the 2nd floor so I have to walk to the 4th floor. When it rains, I can't eat outside on the balcony while sipping on my kombucha that came from tap. - They took away our nerf guns because someone got mad once. Gosh darn it - It's a growing company so there are some growing pains but I love my job. REVEL UP! Work hard PLAY HARD! YEAH

Advice to Management

- invest more in fixing the product as oppose to creating new features. While there are limitless possibilities of new cool features that may make life easier for some customers. I bet 100% that customers would prefer a stable system than the ability to have a legit house account system. - invest time in keeping talent and growing talent. - a former advice you may have noticed in older reviews is to replace the CEO, but since that has happened, this one is void. Someone with experience was desperately needed to take over to really help push the company forward. With everything said and done, I really do wish for this company to succeed for the sake of everyone who is still there after I've left. You guys are hard workers and deserve so much more. There is a new CEO who actually has experience leading so things may change. I never had the honor to work under Scott Betts so I cannot rate how effective of a leader he is. Maybe he's good, maybe he's bad, maybe he's worse. Who knows. That is why, while I don't recommend this company, I give it a positive outlook. However, it's time for this cowboy to Revel Down.

Revel Systems2017-02-24

"Going all the way to the top"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Revel Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

There is no ceiling at Revel. Your growth here is only limited by your own ambition. Moving around the company is made very easy and I have been able to work on a ton of different projects this year.

Cons

Maintaining a good work life balance is on you. There will never be a shortage of work, but there is a culture of reasonable individual expectations.

Revel Systems2016-08-18

"Constantly motivated to be the best I can be"

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Revel Systems full-time for less than a year

Pros

I am constantly being pushed to improve and develop in my role and as a professional in the work force. I have been at Revel for almost a year now and I am inspired everyday by the effort that is put forth by everyone to help our customers grow their businesses.

Cons

Work life balance and compensation could be better, but I do understand that this is a startup and this is expected.

Revel Systems2016-09-03

"Worst Company I've Worked For"

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Revel Systems full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company get a great deal of press which leads to people knowing the brand. Other than that I couldn't find much else.

Cons

Management was nowhere to be found, set up for failure from the start. People do not speak up and everyone is forced to act happy in an over worked over stressed environment. The goal is IPO and nothing else. Also top leadership fails to inspire as they have no sense of work life balance. Revel up? I think not.

Advice to Management

It's not all about the money, take care of your customers, it was hard selling a solution that caused so many problems for so many people. Also, stop with the false promises, be more transparent on pricing and stop lying to hard working restaurant folks. You can't even imagine the stress you are causing to people with all the miscommunication and failed practices.

Revel Systems2017-01-04

"Okay"

Former Employee - Technical Support Specialist

I worked at Revel Systems full-time

Pros

-Paid lunch -Gym reimbursement -Free snacks -Transit reimbursement -Free dental and vision -Wonderful people

Cons

-Product isn't good, customer complaints -Extremely disorganized -Work/life balance is wrongly advertised -Misinformation flows easily -No HR department

Advice to Management

Give employees the support and direction they desperately need.

Revel Systems2016-06-15

"Good starter job but not a career"

I have been working at Revel Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

Health care, some of the people you work with, free food and other free things. They do try to make it fun at work but try is about it.

Cons

Only focus is on more sales and more money! No concern for customers or quality of the product. Training for employees does not exist, so everyone is just guessing how the product works and what it does. People come and go like changing your underwear. There is no work life balance at all. Unlimited PTO is a lie as you will never be able to take time off without guilt.

Advice to Management

Allow experienced professionals with maturity to make the needed changes to the organization. Truly care about your customers don't just say you do. Pay all people fairly and equally. Don't make everything about revenue. Allow employees to have a work life balance.

Revel Systems2016-02-17

"Think Twice about Revel!"

Former Employee - Customer Success Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Revel Systems full-time for less than a year

Pros

Not many that come to mind...Perhaps a free lunch, an office within San Francisco city limits.

Cons

Poor leadership from the CEO on down to the lower level management. Complete lack of support from management, and they did not know the product. Overcrowded office space, one would constantly trip over power strips on the floor - I even called the SF Fire Dept to investigate the obvious hazards. The company will hire inexperienced individuals and churn. Many unhappy clients. The business focus at the moment is to install as many terminals as possible, without caring what happens with clients after the change. The product was elementary at best. The group of Russians that did not speak English had no idea how to release a product that enabled our clients to succeed. I won't even mention the poor pay, if you are interviewing, don't bother negotiating. Each release contained more bugs within the software which made things even worse for those dealing directly with clients. The entire executive team needs to be replaced if this company is to succeed. Again, management.......complete lack of understand and zero support of Revel employees. This company will try and sell you on transparency, while in fact they micro manage everything you do. Zero work/life balance.

Advice to Management

Learn the product. Support and mentor your team. Provide training. Say hello in the morning. Be transparent. Stop the lies. I have a tenured career and never had such a negative experience in my life. Stop treating employees like rubbish!

Revel Systems2016-01-12

"No... No..."

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Revel Systems full-time for less than a year

Pros

None I can think of, and I'm a pretty positive experience.

Cons

Employees are regularly denied vacation, they count seconds on the clock, the product is so complex it would take a rocket scientist to figure it out. The pay is low and retention is lower. managers don't even say hi to you, everyone is treated like a number. There is 0 work life balance.

Advice to Management

You need a new team. A complete overhaul from the mission statement, to the leadership team, and the training is horrible. I dread coming in daily.

Revel Systems2015-11-18

"Run away and don't 'Revel up'"

I worked at Revel Systems

Pros

I made some good friends while we commiserated about our utter disgust with this company.

Cons

No organization. No concept of work/life balance. Management has no respect for employee time. Which, is not a total surprise seeing the way they treat clients. The overall goal is not on retaining customers but on just getting the POS in as many stores as possible. Sales says whatever they can for the sale and then forget about the customer. I did not believe in the company or the product. I can not even articulate all of the negative feelings in a way that would convey how awful of an experience I had with Revel.

Advice to Management

Stop lying.

Revel Systems2015-11-14