Relic Entertainment Reviews

Relic Entertainment General Manager Justin Dowdeswell
Justin Dowdeswell
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great company to work at

Aug 24, 2021 - Development Tester
    Business Outlook

Pros

- The people are great. From those that you work closest with, to the highest chain of command. Everyone cares about the work being done. - Great benefits - Pretty decent pay

Cons

- Not enough 'dones Fridays' (doughnuts) after switching to remote work. - But seriously, perhaps not enough variety in games being made. If you love RTS, then Relic is right for you.

2. 4.0

A great game studio

May 20, 2021 - Programmer in Vancouver, BC
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Relic has been incredibly supportive during the COVID-19 pandemic. When they tell us that the health and mental health of employees is the top priority, I believe them -- because their actions back those words up. -For my part, I feel a lot of optimism about the future at Relic. I can't speak much to some of the past difficulties that the studio has faced as I am relatively new. But I can say that now, there are large groups of talented and dedicated people who are working putting out some fantastic work. -The work from home technologies and practices have been largely effective. -Senior management is refreshingly open and transparent about their ambitions, struggles, concerns and direction.

Cons

-Some of the technologies we use are showing their age, and can be somewhat frustrating to work with. -The sort of 'Vancouver aloofness' that people can have seems to be a bit present in the studio. I'm not sure if it's entirely the product of the remote work and the pandemic, but fun, social events feel a bit muted here.

3. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

One of the best studios I've ever worked at.

Mar 15, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Relic's company culture is incredible. There is an effort to support employee mental health and wellbeing that really goes beyond window dressing, you feel supported in a way you often don't at a studio of this size. - Long list of great perks. Wellness spending account, RRSP matching, education reimbursement, generous vacation time (as well as paid holiday closure), great health benefits, and more. - Get to work with some pretty amazing people, who have been in the industry for 20+ years.

Cons

- Biggest downside is that we aren't the fastest game developer out there. We take our time to get it right, which is great, but you definitely spend a lot of time excited to share what you're working on with people.

1 person found this review helpful
  4. 5.0
    Current Employee

Not your typical game development career

Mar 7, 2021 - Gameplay Programmer in Vancouver, BC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good Games. Good People. Good Benefits. They have really stepped up under COVID (full wfh earlier than many other companies, they went to huge expense and effort to accommodate their employees during this time). Their talk about putting their employees first is backed up by real action. I have heard many horror stories in the industry re job security, overtime, layoffs etc. In seven years I have been treated with respect and compassion by Relic.

Cons

Slow development cycle for their games.

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great Management and Career Growth

Mar 2, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Transparent communication from the top down, - Reasonable expectations and time scheduling from Management, - Extra effort and achievements will be noticed and rewarded.

Cons

- May need to work with some legacy code that are hard to understand.

6. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Disconnected HR Group

Feb 8, 2021 - Manager-HR in Vancouver, BC
    Business Outlook

Pros

- engaged members - small family like atmosphere - great perks and location

Cons

- HR does not operate as a team - Mistrust among HR team

7. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Best Studio in Vancouver

Oct 10, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC
    Business Outlook

Pros

The leadership is supportive and transparent which is more than can be said about many companies. The games are developed in a respectful and collaborative manner. Everyone counts in the team. Relic's best asset is the people. If you are looking for passionate, creative, inspiring and fun colleagues, Relic is the place to be.

Cons

Long hours because there is a lot to do and Covid has damaged human interactions, which is not due to the studio, but is still something management should address. Because the games are so complex, the development cycle is much longer than at other studios. A few team managers (not leadership) micromanage their teams which completely goes against the overall culture. If you are part of one of these teams, your daily work has a very different tone and it is too bad. Leadership doesn't seem to notice.

8. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Review

Sep 23, 2020 - QA Senior Tester in Vancouver, BC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great People, great IP's to work on

Cons

Grossly under paying employees. Manage cares more about getting their bonus then the people under them.

3 people found this review helpful
  9. 4.0

Great company

Nov 5, 2019 - Designer in Vancouver, BC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Unlike most studios, designers at Relic are given a lot of independence and feature ownership. The "silo" effect can sometimes occur, but the company works hard to improve their processes. Relic has been in the business long enough that there is no department that I would consider weak. Understaffed on occasion, but certainly not weak. The executive, production, art, QA, development, animation, design, and IT staff are all exceptionally professional. There is no dead wood at this studio.

Cons

No complaints, other than not enough donuts are delivered on Fridays.

3 people found this review helpful
  10. 5.0

Awesome Place to Work

Dec 7, 2018 - Designer in Vancouver, BC
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Company is rapidly growing. There is lots of opportunity to make an impact.

Cons

- The fact that things are changing so fast can make it tough to learn existing systems.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 22 Reviews