ReachLocal Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

4.0
ReachLocal CEO Sharon Rowlands
Sharon Rowlands

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The organisation has helped me achieved the right work/life balance" (in 43 reviews)

• "The work environment is very conducive" (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • "We are fortunate to get skip level meets to bring our concerns forward to the upper management" (in 14 reviews)

• "High turnover within the sales staff" (in 12 reviews)

1. "Excellent company, great technology"

Current Employee - Digital Market Consultant in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Digital Market Consultant in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Reachlocal has been excellent, the training has been top-notch! I really enjoy the atmosphere and working environment.

I am part of the Canadian team, there is quite a bit of learning involved, but the technology is great.

Cons

The market is technically saturated, but with the cutting edge software we have, finding clients isn't very difficult.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in technology as much as possible. Being ahead in this game is about being able to offer the most.. Also the more promos the better.

28 Feb, 2017

Thanks for your great suggestions. We’ll pass them along to the appropriate teams. We strive to build a positive and engaging work culture, and we’re glad to hear you’ve noticed that during your time... More

2. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Digital Marketing Consultant
    Current Employee - Digital Marketing Consultant

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good People. Great at what they do

Cons

Not suitable for small businesses.

Advice to Management

Come up with solutions for small business.

"Not the greatest company to work for"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

Pros

Great job in recruiting me. They get a 11/10 for selling the role and company, most of which were not true!

Cons

If they can fix the following they might start to profit as a company!

- Leadership is totally lacking.
    -Lack diversity. If you're not white chances are you will be on the radar to be dismissed.
    -Campaigns are ran from the US and India. Campaign managers are clueless about the Canadian Market.
    -Salary is not very competitive
    -The recruiting process was a peace of work! Very well trained (False promises) and actually sold the role/company really well.

Advice to Management

Hire the right leaders, the rest will fall into place.

"Interesting Experience"

Former Employee - Online Marketing Specialist in Calgary, AB
    Former Employee - Online Marketing Specialist in Calgary, AB

I worked at ReachLocal (Less than a year)

Pros

I loved the Canadian team, both management and sales side. Up North, we definitely didn't seem to experience the cutthroat atmosphere I had seen in the States, and our regional manager was always trying to find new ways to motivate and reward us.

Cons

Training appeared to be thorough (2 weeks total in Texas over the first 3 months), but a lot of what was being taught was out of date, or simply not true about Google AdWords. The sales structure placed the majority of the focus on new sales, and there wasn't as much support once the account was set up. Pricing was hard to explain to clients, because we weren't transparent about the breakdown of all of the costs. A lot of churn and burn for both staff and clients because of these issues. Plus having to make 400 cold calls every month was brutal.

Advice to Management

Amp up post-launch client support, update training and policies to reflect how Google and Bing actually run their PPC programs, and embrace new sales methods rather than relying so heavily on cold-calling.

12 Apr, 2016 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you sharing your experience with us. We’re happy to hear you enjoyed your time with the Canadian team. We are working to continually improve our sales and support structure and have practices... More

"Not what it used to be"

Former Employee - Digital Marketing Consultant in Vancouver, BC
    Former Employee - Digital Marketing Consultant in Vancouver, BC

I worked at ReachLocal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Get to learn about search engine marketing, display advertising, and lead tracking

Cons

Products often don't work as promised, the 50%+ margin is hidden from customers but reachlocal's competitors are aware, disorganized/ unethical senior management.

Advice to Management

If you're serious about cost cutting and improving the value of the stock (worth about $1.50 down from $17!) then cut the CEO's $5.5 million dollar salary instead of laying off support workers and having local managers run three offices.

12 Apr, 2016 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. The amount of a client’s budget used to purchase media varies by client due to a number of factors including campaign size, location... More

"Sales"

Former Employee - Digital Marketing Consultant in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Digital Marketing Consultant in Toronto, ON

I worked at ReachLocal (More than a year)

Pros

Very good company to work with. They give you the autonomy to let you do your job properly on your own time and pace.

Cons

In a sales role, it is hard to make good commissions because the company is constantly cutting back on what they payout.

Advice to Management

Listen more to employees to have stronger involvement. Management would benefit by developing more products that work for their client base.

12 Apr, 2016 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We appreciate your feedback and will make sure it is passed on.

7. "Digital Marketing Consultant (DMC)"

Current Employee - Dmc in Ottawa, ON
    Current Employee - Dmc in Ottawa, ON

Pros

Great culture and work environment. Challenging. Confident I'm helping SMB's (my clients) fulfill their business growth goals thanks to advanced online marketing solutions offered by ReachLocal. Positive reinforcement from Managers. Qualified and engaged Management team.

Cons

Company growth however company just posted a positive Ebitda. Profitability is on an upswing.

Advice to Management

Continue to reward the performers. Look forward to learning more about new solutions/technology.

"going nowhwere"

I worked at ReachLocal (Less than a year)

Pros

innovative, good training, money is OK

Cons

not price-competitive, hard to get new business

Advice to Management

start over with a new plan

9. "Great company"

Former Employee - Internet Marketing Consultant in Vancouver, BC
    Former Employee - Internet Marketing Consultant in Vancouver, BC

I worked at ReachLocal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Training was amazing was flown out to dallas

Cons

Very flooded industry that made it difficult to sell

10. "Great Company To Work For!"

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Toronto, ON

I worked at ReachLocal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for, the management team and employees are very helpful and encouraging. The technology Reachlocal uses is great, customers can quickly identify ROI from their investment. The initial 1 week training course in Texas is excellent.

Cons

It will take 4 or so months to ramp up, you must be patient and have a true hunter mentality to be successful.

Advice to Management

Run more marketing events.