Raise Marketplace Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Updated 5 April, 2019

2.6
Jay Klauminzer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "coke freestyle machine (but it only typically works about 2 days per week)" (in 4 reviews)

• "There was indeed free breakfast, Raise swag and I received a lots of praise for my hard work" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "Also, they require a college degree to work in Member Services but it is really just a call center disguised as an entry level position" (in 7 reviews)

• "Send extra time buying a card to save your 5 bucks on something you were going to get in in the first place" (in 5 reviews)

1. "So much potential"

I have been working at Raise Marketplace full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company has much better focus in the last several months, as new leaders have been brought in and really helped create the vision. The company has so much potential in the future. Who doesn't want to save money?

Cons

Still early in the journey, but signs are great

2. "New exec hires, increased focus"

I have been working at Raise Marketplace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Every company has areas to improve but the negative reviews on here are overblown. I've been at Raise for a few years and have had an overwhelmingly positive experience. Highlights include colleagues that genuinely care, talented pm's and engineers, a polished executive team that asks for feedback, a fancy office in the heart of Chicago, and backing from some of the top VC's in the world. On top of that, I've learned a lot and made new friends along the way.

Cons

The typical early stage company growing pains.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work on communicating company progress, obstacles, milestones, and your efforts to get honest employee feedback.

3. "Good entry level experience"

Former Employee - Member Service Representative

I worked at Raise Marketplace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

cool, modern office heart of downtown chicago.

Cons

Expect what you would for an entry level position. Everything micro managed- very disciplined. Good for an entry level job to gain experience.

"Pretty good."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Raise Marketplace full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of opportunities to work on different projects. I signed up to be full stack, but I've been able to work across the stack.

Cons

It seems like the leadership is lacking at the point in time, but I do believe they're making positive strides in the right direction. Software engineers seem to keep leaving.

Advice to Management

Develop a sharper vision and communicate that to all levels of the company.

"A fun place to work"

I have been working at Raise Marketplace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast paced, challenging projects, solid team. The company is very transparent with direction and goals. Good salary with bonuses and open vacation policy.

Cons

Raise needs more front end and back end engineers as well as ui and ux designers. Raise has the usual startup growing pains.

"Please, please do not think of working here"

I have been working at Raise Marketplace full-time

Pros

Office location (easy access from CTA)
    Benefits package

Cons

The founder of the company might be the most horrible person I've ever met. All of the executives from the past two years have quit. The three most recent COOs have all quit, lasting less than six months each. Head of HR quit, CFO quit, After wasting millions of dollars on advertising, the CMO quit. Two previous CTOs quit. Raise acquired two startup companies and all of the people from those acquisitions have quit. This isn't even counting the two layoffs of 50+ people last year.

The cause for all of this is simple. The founder of the company is extremely toxic and doesn't know how to actually run a business. He grew up rich, and would rather spend company money flying in private jets with his celebrity friends than actually work.

Advice to Management

Please stop posting positive fake reviews on Glassdoor. Rebuild the company with the new CEO and do everything possible to remove the founder's influence from the toxic/cheating/lying/backstabbing culture that has defined Raise from the very beginning.

7. "Its good but not great."

I have been working at Raise Marketplace full-time

Pros

It has got a great location.

Cons

We are not sure where the company is going.

8. "It's Not The Worst Place I've Ever Worked"

I have been working at Raise Marketplace full-time

Pros

Easy to get to work via public transit.
    The tech you get to play with as an engineer is fairly modern.

Cons

There are plenty of people with leadership roles; there are no leaders.
    There are so many directions Raise could head as a company; there is no direction at Raise.

Advice to Management

A former employee at Raise told me before leaving: Do one thing at a time, and do it well. I wonder if she told management the same.

9. "Be ready for roller coaster ride"

I worked at Raise Marketplace full-time

Pros

1. Facilities are quite good
    2. Competitive salary
    3. Good for short term

Cons

1. Very unstable management
    2. Long term career is challenge

"Raise Your Chances of Success By Seeking Employment Elsewhere"

I worked at Raise Marketplace full-time

Pros

They used to have weekly meals for the whole company, but apparently discontinued those. They might still have happy hour, but not sure if they even bother to supply the one keg of cheap beer.

They have one of those Coke soda jukeboxes. It is often out of whatever drink you want and/or broken.

The office is in a nice landmarked building in the center of Chicago with a very friendly late-night cleaning crew. The office itself is well appointed with comfortable furniture and quite a lot of natural light. Probably the biggest "pro" Raise can boast.

The office building is surrounded by a number of eateries if your budget and strictly-enforced 30 minute lunch break will allow for a to-go order.

There are no other pros.

Cons

If Raise were a fish, it would be a flounder. But then again, flounders can swim, whereas Raise is sinking fast.

Rotten pay. Rotten hours. Rotten benefits. Borderline-nonexistent chances for career advancement. Absolutely zero loyalty to any of its employees, no matter their level on the totem pole or however many years they've devoted to the company. The turnover rate is mind-boggling. The use of "purge" in many of these reviews is entirely appropriate, and is a term used by the employees themselves. In fact, the employees often reference, "The last purge. No, wait, the one before that. Or was it the one before that one?" to mark the passage of both time and people.

The Founder/CEO was apparently forced to "step back" recently due to years of aimless mismanagement and spending more time bragging about knowing Drake than doing things like showing up to the office or managing anything. Maybe because there was so much money laundering involved; who knows? Though, in fairness, that's just one of the risks of the gift card business. Too, there's something somewhat rankling about the fact that a significant chunk of the company's upper management is comprised of the Founder/CEO's family and extended family, though perhaps that's changing as well. (Doubtful.)

While I was there, all levels of management were incredibly bro-y. Even as a guy, this weirded me out. Very few women in management or leadership roles. It's almost impossible to escape the sense that the company leadership has no idea how to spend money. When I started at Raise, the office took up an entire floor of a building whose rent cannot be cheap, as well as most of a floor in the building next door. By the time I left, the enormous and expensively remodeled annex was being "rented out" to Walgreens, and an entirely new wall was constructed to close off access to the rest of the Raise office. There is an abundance of sleek conference rooms whose sole purpose would seem to be lulling investors into thinking that this place is riding the wave of the future. (I will admit that the glass walls that can be made to fog up for privacy at the push of a button is pretty damn cool.)

I would complain about the absolute pointlessness, childish unprofessionalism, and laughably arbitrary nature of their Training and Quality Assurance Team (whose sole purpose was changing metrics every few weeks to justify their continued existence), but it sounds like they've all but eliminated it. Which, I mean, I guess that's an improvement? Way to go, Raise!

I got along with all of my coworkers and supervisors and it raised (no pun intended; puns crush souls) the quality of the workplace to "juuuust bearable." Of course, that was in the Member Services department, where the hothouse environment all but forces camaraderie to sprout up. But that was back when there were between 30 and 40 agents in MS, rather than the single-digit team they have as of the writing of this review. (Though the holidays are coming, so maybe that number will climb to 20 when it used to more than double that.) Raise does have a strange ability to retain the worst employees the longest, while routinely hemorrhaging or firing its most skilled and talented workers.

An enormous number of employees have been leaving Raise to work at Venmo, which seems to be superior in all ways with regards to compensating its employees and keeping them relatively happy. Apparently, Raise issued a cease-and-desist to Venmo demanding that they stop poaching Raise employees... to which Venmo replied that they weren't poaching Raise employees and that, in fact, Raise employees were approaching Venmo for better jobs. So that's kinda funny. It's also indicative of Raise's ethos of never blaming itself for its many, many problems, from fiscal instability to employee turnover/exodus to the chronic breakdown of its app and website. There's also a pretty stable company culture of complaining about chronic problems, vaguely implying that it's being worked on, and then nothing changing.

There's more—there's always more—but I think you get the point by now, so I'll stop here.

Actually, one more thing.

Apparently Raise sends its PR team onto Glassdoor to write fake reviews of their company in order to offset the horrific scores it gets, so there's that. (Note how even *that's* not quite working out.) Any review you see of this company with more than two stars is probably a plant.

Advice to Management

Get out while you can. Take the money and run. Try to find a buyer and retire.