Rackspace Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Joe Eazor

1,196 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Some major changes to work life balance without your input (in 29 reviews)

• Incompetent middle-management pits employeees against one another as opposed to fixing problems (in 64 reviews)

1. "Different groups, Different culture"

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Big company with lots of amazing people, small perks, decent on-boarding process, and opportunity to move around between groups.

Each group tends to have a slightly different culture. Mine is phenomenal, and I feel like I'm surrounded by a bunch of close friends. We're able to agree and disagree openly, which is fantastic for engineering staff that sometimes needs to make difficult decisions quickly.

The CEO is a call-it-like-I-see-it kind of guy. While this might be harsh or a shock for some people, I would always rather have an honest a difficult conversation than be left in the dark or not given details I need to make decisions.

The company's core values, as lame as that might sound, are solid. It's not uncommon for a company to choose buzzwords as their values, but what's rare is to see a company that actually takes the time to define what each core value means to the organization and how employees are expected to uphold them at all times.

Cons

Tasks and team objectives can move quickly, and some people just can't handle the context switch. This isn't a "con" for everyone, but if you want to work in a static environment from 9am to 5pm, you probably won't enjoy Rackspace.

Also, if you're a minimum effort kind of person, you'll probably feel very out of place in the company. Everyone I've met works as thought they ran the company, and they take pride in giving Rackspace a good name. If you're not looking to do the same, you'll feel very left out.

Advice to Management

Encourage teams to find a culture and character of their own, but push them to demonstrate the core values.

2. "Devops Engineer"

Pros

Very good company to work for.

Good culture

Cons

depend on the team you work for.

some team are very stress

3. "Product Mgr"

Current Employee - Product Manager in San Antonio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Product Manager in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Outstanding company..Feels more like a family..

Cons

Too many levels of management..Most are unnecessary..

Advice to Management

Trim redundant positions..

5. "Culture"

Current Employee - Inventory Control Specialist I in Richardson, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Inventory Control Specialist I in Richardson, TX (US)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Majority Referrals, Hired to fit Company's Culture, Great Bonus and Company Perks

Cons

None. You really have to be lazy to not like working for Rackspace

6. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Office and Billing Manager in Maineville, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Office and Billing Manager in Maineville, OH (US)

I worked at Rackspace full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, competitive pay, generous PTO, great culture

Cons

Company started to fall apart

7. "CTS"

I have been working at Rackspace full-time

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

Sometimes bad people to work with

8. "An Excellent Place - Don't Stay too Long"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Provided you put in your time, and continue to deliver, you can have a great deal of flexibility in your work/life balance

If you work in San Antonio, you're in the mothership and will have nearly every resource available to you

Cons

Management can be hit or miss. This is not the place to be a new manager as you won't receive much in the way of help or empowerment.

If you're in sales, your comp plan will be difficult to understand, track, and get paid on. It will also change at Rackspace's discretion. You can make money, but its a lot more luck than skill.

The HR team is filled with nice people who are ultimately powerless to help you

If you live/work in Austin, you need to be VERY clear during the interview about where you'll be working. Many Austin based Rackers end up riding the shuttle to San Antonio several times per week.

Long story short - the first few years are really great, but once you hit 3 or 4, go ahead and start looking for your next adventure.

"10+ year employee"

Current Employee - Data Center Operations Technician
    Current Employee - Data Center Operations Technician

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nice vacation plan.
    Reduced price or free drinks, such as sodas or energy drinks.
    Willing to provide access to online training and assist with various certifications.

Cons

Since the last takeover, things are looking down.
    Bonuses have stopped.
    Raises are trivial or non-existent.
    We can't backfill positions due to a hiring freeze that has been in effect for far too long.
    Since we can't backfill, management won't get rid of bad employees; I guess better a warm body than nothing.
    Senior people are leaving at a worrisome pace.
    The vast majority of Rackspace's upper management has been replaced and the new people seem to see us as walking dollar signs and not much else.
    I could go on, but basically employee perks are being slowly taken away, systems aren't being updated, and the new management is doing their best to make it worse.

Advice to Management

We're a couple of years away from being yet another giant soulless company. It will be very hard to provide "fanatical support" with unmotivated employees. It will take years to get back what you've willingly thrown away already. Start doing raises. Get rid of the hiring freeze. Listen to your underlings; at least a couple of us still care, but nobody's listening.

10. "Great Culture, Great People"

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in San Antonio, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in San Antonio, TX (US)

I worked at Rackspace (More than a year)

Pros

Flat management structure
    Free soda and Coffee
    Recreational areas like ping pong tables and nap areas
    Booths and separate rooms for conferences or for when you need to get a different scene to work.
    Work Hard, Play Hard business environment

Cons

None that comes to mind

"Business Development Consultant"

I have been working at Rackspace full-time

Pros

They really hire nice and fun people to work with. Lots of training opportunities. You're not micro-managed much. As a company, they try to do a lot to boost morale, but it's really hiding bigger issues. You are exposed to a lot of different technologies - so that that experience and get out.

Cons

Being a seller is only about 20% of the job. The rest is made up of customer service, implementation of closed deals, internal process hurdles, and finding the correct resource to talk to and finding time on their schedule - all of which is INFURIATING. Pay is low for the industry, and probably won't increase due to lack of company profitability.

Advice to Management

Split profitable accounts more evenly among sales representatives. Giving a lot of low revenue accounts to reps doesn't increase their earning potential, it just gives them more busy work - or comp them differently.

Showing 1,196 of 1,243 reviews