Rackspace Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Joe Eazor

1,222 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Some major changes to work life balance without your input (in 29 reviews)

• Incompetent middle-management pits employeees against one another as opposed to fixing problems (in 64 reviews)

1. "Different groups, Different culture"

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Big company with lots of amazing people, small perks, decent on-boarding process, and opportunity to move around between groups.

Each group tends to have a slightly different culture. Mine is phenomenal, and I feel like I'm surrounded by a bunch of close friends. We're able to agree and disagree openly, which is fantastic for engineering staff that sometimes needs to make difficult decisions quickly.

The CEO is a call-it-like-I-see-it kind of guy. While this might be harsh or a shock for some people, I would always rather have an honest a difficult conversation than be left in the dark or not given details I need to make decisions.

The company's core values, as lame as that might sound, are solid. It's not uncommon for a company to choose buzzwords as their values, but what's rare is to see a company that actually takes the time to define what each core value means to the organization and how employees are expected to uphold them at all times.

Cons

Tasks and team objectives can move quickly, and some people just can't handle the context switch. This isn't a "con" for everyone, but if you want to work in a static environment from 9am to 5pm, you probably won't enjoy Rackspace.

Also, if you're a minimum effort kind of person, you'll probably feel very out of place in the company. Everyone I've met works as thought they ran the company, and they take pride in giving Rackspace a good name. If you're not looking to do the same, you'll feel very left out.

Advice to Management

Encourage teams to find a culture and character of their own, but push them to demonstrate the core values.

2. "Devops Engineer"

Pros

Very good company to work for.

Good culture

Cons

depend on the team you work for.

some team are very stress

3. "Graduate Intern"

I worked at Rackspace full-time

Pros

You are able to dress casually.

Cons

The work spaces are too "open"

5. "Lots of potential"

I have been working at Rackspace full-time

Pros

tons of potential for internal growth, career training, and (at the headquarters) good culture.

Cons

data centers have become satellites that don't portray company values or culture. some managers are awesome... many just reward friends and would often fire good people they just didn't like

Advice to Management

shake up your management structure all the way down to the bottom. see if they actually do what the big wigs say you stand for

"Unsure of what the future brings"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

What got me to Rackspace and what kept me there for over 3 years (just put my notice) is the culture of the company. They truly treat each other as friends and family! I've made great friends working there and I had a lot of fun.

The technical training is great. They provide you with the tools to learn but it's really up to you on devoting the time to learn complex technologies.

Great engineers and architects that are always willing to help you.

The Castle is an amazing place to work! I'm going to miss going to that building. The food trucks on Tuesdays & Fridays are cool. The yearly dodge ball event is so cool! They have nice gyms, onsite massage therapists and just cool amenities.

Free soda and snacks.

Cons

Pay is significantly below market rates. They preach the values, how great the culture is but culture does not pay the bills.

With the move of going private and the last two acquisitions (TriCore & DataPipe), the company has what looks to be on paper a good strategy going forward. The issue that I've dealt with for the past year is that the company goes into too many directions. There's not a clear vision of the strategy going forward. They preach the hybrid cloud and being able to manage client's infrastructure regardless of the technology they use but it's not quite like that.

From a sales perspective, the leadership will push you to sell dedicated infra (servers, firewalls, load balancers) and get you to tack on security software. On the other hand, if you are a cloud specialist focused on AWS, you are always fighting internally with reps on what solutions to pitch to the client. At the end of the day sales people will push what is easy to sell and what gets them paid quicker, which is always dedi servers.

The compensation plans are very low. I've held 4 positions at the company and I consistently saw my pay lowered. My last year I increased my earnings but because of all of the changes in the company, I was not sure if my position would still exist. Rackspace is really good about getting you to do lateral moves and finding a way to pay you less when you do it.

I think it's sad that Rackspace gives you a good technical training but keep losing people to the competition over pay. I have seen great sales and technical staff leave the company this year alone. Rackspace use to be the place where you stayed for 10+ years but not anymore. The culture that we all cherished seems to be ending quicker every day.

I love Rackspace and I wish nothing but success for the company. I hope they can find ways to retain the great employees they built and pay them fair wages according to market rates.

Advice to Management

I heard several times that one of the top priorities for the company is to attract and retain top talent yet I see no changes in the company to make that a reality. I was shocked on how many people reached out to me, when they learned I gave my notice, asking if I could help them find another opportunity.

I did not want to leave the company but I felt that I had an unsure future and my pay was just way below market value. I received multiple offers and the lowest ones were 50% higher than what I make today. Several companies told me that they specifically target Rackspace employees because they have great work ethic, are tech savvy, and are not paid well, which makes easier to recruit them. In other words, Rackspace keeps training their competition.

Until you fix this, you will continue to lose top talent and have a hard time attracting better talent. I want you to know that I am taking the time to write this review because I truly care about Rackspace and I will miss it a lot. I hope this can give you some insights that can help you improve.

7. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hayes, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hayes, England (UK)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are some really amazing people at Rackspace, that make going to work everyday a pleasure.
    Salaries are good and they will pay to get and keep good people.
    New direction of the company since going private is encouraging.
    Good benefits.
    Work/life balance good (in my experience).

Cons

Tooling tooling tooling
    Evidence of micro-management in some quarters (not in my experience but I hear about it)

Advice to Management

Trust your people to work hard and do the jobs you employed them to do

8. "Great company"

Former Employee - Linux Systems Engineer in San Antonio, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Linux Systems Engineer in San Antonio, TX (US)

I worked at Rackspace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is an innovative environment where you can learn new things and have the chance to stay on top of new, emerging technologies; great culture

Cons

I can't really think of any

Advice to Management

Stay innovative; compete with OpenStack.

9. "Online Sales Executive"

Current Employee - Online Sales Executive in Hayes, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Online Sales Executive in Hayes, England (UK)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A really great culture.
    Cool office and benefits, including free breakfast, gym, healthcare etc.
    Lots of opportunities to learn and progress!

Cons

Not many cons, a genuinely enjoyable place.
    Pay is usually a little below industry average.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

"Fantastic People with Need to Focus!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart, fun, kind, energetic and eager-to-excel Rackers; Great life-work balance; Terrific environment; Three top execs seem terrific. Apollo actually adds tremendous value and guidance.

Cons

No salary raises AT ALL- not even to cover increases in insurance payments- even when you majorly move the needle! Very discouraging especially when many Rackers are Slackers... especially "Managers".

Advice to Management

Cut the goof-off dead weight! Reward the best workers so they will keep up their good work and STAY! Clearer vision. Get the changes over with and then heads down!

11. "best company to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They provide what you need to support the customers. A very diverse environment, excellent atmosphere and friendly

Cons

Could do with improving on the training

Showing 1,222 of 1,272 reviews