Rackspace Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Updated Nov 13, 2019

3.3
Rackspace CEO Kevin Jones
Kevin Jones
Pros
  • "Frontline Rackers are like family(in 135 reviews)

• "Great Culture and perks and interesting work(in 126 reviews)

Cons
  • "Some challenges with silos, but most Rackers genuinely want to help each other(in 120 reviews)

• "Too many middle management tiers(in 69 reviews)

"Different groups, Different culture"

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for less than a year

Pros

Big company with lots of amazing people, small perks, decent on-boarding process, and opportunity to move around between groups. Each group tends to have a slightly different culture. Mine is phenomenal, and I feel like I'm surrounded by a bunch of close friends. We're able to agree and disagree openly, which is fantastic for engineering staff that sometimes needs to make difficult decisions quickly. The CEO... is a call-it-like-I-see-it kind of guy. While this might be harsh or a shock for some people, I would always rather have an honest a difficult conversation than be left in the dark or not given details I need to make decisions. The company's core values, as lame as that might sound, are solid. It's not uncommon for a company to choose buzzwords as their values, but what's rare is to see a company that actually takes the time to define what each core value means to the organization and how employees are expected to uphold them at all times.

Cons

Tasks and team objectives can move quickly, and some people just can't handle the context switch. This isn't a "con" for everyone, but if you want to work in a static environment from 9am to 5pm, you probably won't enjoy Rackspace. Also, if you're a minimum effort kind of person, you'll probably feel very out of place in the company. Everyone I've met works as thought they ran the company, and they take pride in... giving Rackspace a good name. If you're not looking to do the same, you'll feel very left out.

Advice to Management

Encourage teams to find a culture and character of their own, but push them to demonstrate the core values.

Rackspace2015-05-21

"Leave if you'r an employee or don't join until the CEO is changed"

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Used to be a good culture, but it's all fake now. The management clearly shows in their open books call that they are not doing well...

Cons

Nothing is good, the company is drowning since past 2+ years. Fake people, fake assurances, red tape, boot lickers, hatred within groups....the list keep growing.

Advice to Management

Please please change the CEO....

Rackspace2019-03-03

"Changing Company"

I worked at Rackspace full-time

Pros

Older employees (Rackers) have great amount of information and history to the company. You are working on the hot tech of today with cloud/hybrid hosting.

Cons

Leadership used to be strong and passionate at Rackspace. The company sold and now standard pennie pushers that are trying to optimize and squeeze the last bit of value out of the company have come in and taken over. Turnover multiple times in leadership.

Rackspace2018-09-24
  4. "Devops Engineer"

I worked at Rackspace

Pros

Very good company to work for. Good culture

Cons

depend on the team you work for. some team are very stress

Rackspace2015-05-02
  5. "Great place to Work at.. Advancement within your role is limited"

Current Employee - Market Development Representative in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Amazing place to work at / company to work for. Great management team, people care for people they work with. Very dynamic work environment, no micromanaging but expectations are high but also realistic.

Cons

Currently leadership is shifting the company's position in the marketplace so there has been a sense of uncertainty and rapid changes. No easy to follow career path advancement. Getting promoted vertically is not simple, alternative is change roles to something completely different than what you are doing.

Rackspace2019-11-13
  6. "Rackspace is a wild ride"

Current Employee - Finance in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Awesome crazy people to work with - Large growing industry - Opportunity to make exponential career leaps - Competitive pay and benefits

Cons

- Might not be your cup of tea if you don't like lots of change - Over-availability of snacks can be an issue - Can be quite noisy

Advice to Management

Keep on keepin' on, and grow that top line folks!

Rackspace2019-11-12
  7. "Opportunity Abounds"

Current Employee - Human Resources Business Partner

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for less than a year

Pros

Rackspace provides tremendous learning opportunities, a very supportive team environment, leaders who genuinely care and the chance to be part of a significant transformation. The work/life balance is much better than what I was previously accustomed to and the organization espouses a culture that maintains an equilibrium between having fun and working hard.

Cons

This is a change rich environment and to be successful you must be able to pivot. This isn't necessarily a "con", but rather a necessary consequence of an organization going through massive change in order to achieve better results. If you want to learn and grow, this is a perfect place to do it. The only true con is the 401(k), which is not competitive.

Advice to Management

Equip mid-level and front line leaders to be able to articulate the vision of the executive leadership team so that Rackers are able to connect the dots between their work and where we are going as an organization.

Rackspace2019-10-30
  8. "A company in transition"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Secret Town, CA

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for less than a year

Pros

Best of breed managed service offering

Cons

frequent management change which may cause uncertainty to the working environment.

Advice to Management

show more care to people instead of numbers

Rackspace2019-10-30
  9. "Unfocused Management"

Former Employee - Marketing Strategy in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time for more than a year

Pros

Facilities, good people with strong customer focus

Cons

Techies with little exposure to formal marketing or product management disciplines (before Kevin Jones)

Rackspace2019-11-12
  10. "The environment is great!"

Current Employee - Customer Service Technician in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for less than a year

Pros

Love the culture! Love the people. Great benefits, interview process was easy. Recruiters communicate very well.

Cons

I did dislike the background check. I under stand terms are that if you are brought in and you start training that at anytime if something comes back with discrepancies you have to provide proof and if not you are let go. This can be very disturbing and worrisome especially when it’s already 3 weeks in training and you get hit with a background issue that should of been done before you start. The company is wasting... money and time on someone because of this. Not only that it puts the employee in a very disgruntled position on their place within the company and can cause anxiety due to being jobless at the last minute.

Advice to Management

Please get the background check done before you hire someone on. Just because you give a fair warning doesn’t mean it’s right to allow people to work for your company if they don’t qualify.

Rackspace2019-10-26