Public Health England Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Public Health England Chief Executive Duncan Selbie
Duncan Selbie

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Pay lacking no pay rise for 6 years not even 1p very poor" (in 4 reviews)

• "No pay progression, the salary you start on remains the same except for a possible 1% pay rise each year" (in 4 reviews)

1. "A great source of expertise"

I have been working at Public Health England full-time

Pros

Work on interesting content with friendly professionals who are at the top of their field

Cons

The complicated organsiation/structure and bureaucracy can make progress a little laboured at times. My agency contract meant holiday/benefits not good

2. "Good place"

Former Employee - Scientist in Manchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Scientist in Manchester, England (UK)

I worked at Public Health England full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good company & coworkers

Cons

Arbitrary qualification requirements for decent paying jobs that weren't needed years ago so old folks with O levels hold jobs that current BSc holders can't get

Advice to Management

Promote on merit

3. "Review of PHE as a place for creative pople to work."

Current Employee - HEO in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - HEO in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Public Health England full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's a very secure place to work. Keep your nose clean and it's a job for life. People are treated very politely and fairly.

Cons

In my humble experience within the PHE business development team creative people are heard, but not listened too. If a Scientist has a whimsical idea as to what a marketing proposition should be or an odd idea about a design or layout you have to comply exactly with the instructions. Doesn't happen all the time but that's the kinda direction of travel.

Advice to Management

It's a very hierarchic place, Scientists are the stars. Creative people are considered 'admin' and underpaid. Management proclaim to hear 'advice' but as for my opinion? I don't believe it counts. I don't have the evidence they're listening. Sounds harsh, it's understandable from the perspective that it's not a commercial enterprise so campaign metrics, business goals, and ROI are foreign concepts.

4. "Associate Practitioner"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)

I worked at Public Health England full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Phe are very good at offering flexible working time and you won’t have to book time off for GP appointments, etc.
    It also provides opportunities to work abroad in outbreak situations.
    Quite good sickness and maternity pay. Also very good support for employees suffering any mental health issues, PHE has its own helpline that you can call anytime and if deemed necessary you will get a minimum of 5-weeks one-to-one counselling.

Cons

When applying for any PHE posts bear in mind that there is NO real pay progression. You will stay on what you have started, except the 0.7% annual pay rise, which isn’t even based on your actual pay but on the starting pay band that you’re on. Oh and you’ll also have to complete annual appraisals that are an immense waste of everyone’s time and quite degrading. But hey, if you get an excellent (and there are only a limited number of people from your lab that can get that) you might get a one-off annual bonus (equal to about 0.25% of your starting pay band!)
    And yes, PHE has recently accepted the Market Pay Supplement that was finally going to make PHE employees pay somewhat comparable to NHS (after all, we’re doing the same job, right?) but now with the NHS staff getting a 6.5% pay rise PHE staff will fall behind, once again.
    Honestly, not worth it.

Advice to Management

Make your pay conditions comparable to NHS Afc and implement some real means for pay progression. Nobody should have to put a business case to get a pay rise after working somewhere for a very long time and being a great employee.

5. "Excellent place to work"

I have been working at Public Health England full-time

Pros

Flexible working, good atmosphere

Cons

Little recognition/training opportunities available

6. "PHE lacks good Managers and Equal opportunities within line management"

Former Employee - Administrative Officer in Harlow, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Administrative Officer in Harlow, England (UK)

I worked at Public Health England full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My colleagues are very friendly and it is always a good atmosphere in the office.

Cons

Managers don't know how to line manage people in their team.
    Other people in the team are treated differently to yourself and given more opportunities.
    When there have been problems that have arisen and after speaking to the manager they have a formal meeting with you to discuss and say that everything will be resolved. Its been a year since that and nothing has changed.
    When applying for a internal post and when you call up the person dealing with the post they are really happy and discuss it with you and then when you go for the interview the job is already signposted to someone else internal and they get the job instead of you.
    Colleagues and managers discuss personal issues that you may have and don't want anyone from the team to know. Very unprofessional.
    There is no progression, you will always stay at the same position and same pay.
    Zero management skills or training opportunities.
    Bullying and harassment between managers and employers that when you speak to your manager about does not get addressed instead that person is given more opportunities within their job.
    People within the same team aren't allowed to take lunch at the same time.
    Confidential information about another member in the team is discussed in one to ones.
    When I resigned I thought my manager would speak to me and although she is in a different office meet up. But no exit interview was arranged instead managers do not want to do anything with you once you are leaving.
    My colleague who started the same time as me was given more opportunities and I was then told that I had to wait until she had done the course for me to be able to do it.
    As far as the workload goes the way things are done change all the time so you never know when you are doing the right thing or its wrong.
    Members of your team doing the same job as you are given authority over you just because they have been there longer.
    The job description of the job was totally different to what the actual job was.
    At the beginning it was enjoyable but then the whole structure of the team totally changed.
    Also another thing would be that they are not flexible with regards to leaving early and changes to time.

Advice to Management

Managers need to discuss matters with individuals and the whole team.
    Professional as well.

7. "Manager"

I have been working at Public Health England part-time

Pros

Your experience of the organisation depends on the team, the line manager and the work. I've been experiences of good line management and work as well as those not so good.

Cons

Huge bureaucratic, difficult to get things done quickly and efficiently. However given how new it is it doing well.

8. "MLA"

Current Employee - MLA in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - MLA in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Public Health England full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Job Security that's a good thing

Cons

Pay lacking no pay rise for 6 years not even 1p very poor?

Advice to Management

Work with MLAs a bit harder

9. "Admin assistan"

Pros

Great place to work and progress

Cons

location, isnt friendly for train commute

Advice to Management

provide a train ticket scheme

10. "Civil service"

Current Employee - Employee in Salisbury, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Employee in Salisbury, England (UK)

I have been working at Public Health England full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible working and employer pension contributions are highest of any sector

Cons

Pay progression is poor. While there is a range within a salary band, there is no mechanism to climb the pay spine points.

Advice to Management

Sout out your pay progression