Prodigy Game Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

"Fantastic Employer"

Current Employee - Full Stack Developer in Burlington, ON
    Current Employee - Full Stack Developer in Burlington, ON

I have been working at Prodigy Game full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People over process, challenging work, fantastic colleagues, interesting modern tech. Great office perks. Supplemented fitness and learning. Tons of transparency. Lots of talented people to learn from. The product is fun and rewarding to work on. Both CEOs actively engage with all the employees. The swag is awesome. Many teachers and parents know about Prodigy and will give you recognition. Little kid fan letters are posted in Slack.

Cons

There really isn't anything negative for me to write about. It's a great place to work.

Advice to Management

Keep it up Prodigy!

2. "Great people, great workplace, great job"

Current Employee - Educational Content Developer in Burlington, ON
    Current Employee - Educational Content Developer in Burlington, ON

I have been working at Prodigy Game full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As a company, Prodigy does a fantastic job of hiring not only great employees from a business point of view, but just great people in general. In 3+ years I can't say they've ever hired someone that makes me question "why?"

There is a huge focus on transparency as a company as to where we're at, where we're headed, and how we're going to get there. Still, they are always open to questions and new ideas if anybody has them.

Finally, this is a place where you definitely have the opportunity to grow. If you are driven and a high performer, you will be recognized and rewarded for it.

There's lots of other things to love: lunch time games, company events, social Fridays, reimbursement for money spent on fitness and education, flexible hours, I'm sure I'm missing a few.

Cons

In order to grow and scale, there are a lot of processes and meetings in place, which can seem overwhelming at times and perhaps not always helpful.

3. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Game Developer in Hamilton, ON
    Current Employee - Game Developer in Hamilton, ON

I have been working at Prodigy Game full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Tons of perks and benefits, work is challenging, salaries are good!

Cons

Too many processes to follow!

"Couldn't ask for more from a company."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, ON

I have been working at Prodigy Game full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Junior, intermediate, or senior - there's a place for you here. I have had nothing but positive experiences here, and have been given the opportunity to succeed in many ways.

The company culture is welcoming, transparent, and very friendly. They are building a real 'community' here.

The perks and benefits are great, even for a company that is still pretty fresh and new.

Most importantly, the people are fantastic. Managers and CEOs are there FOR you. The whole mindset of this company is helping each other succeed. I can't stress enough how important it is to be valued at your workplace - and Prodigy does that.

Cons

You have to be a go-getter. If you expect this to be a mundane 9-5 job, look elsewhere. While no overtime is expected, and you aren't meant to be a super-geek, being passionate about what you do, and being truly driven is a MUST.

If you can't pull your weight, this isn't the job for you. You gotta love your craft and be results-oriented!

Advice to Management

Honestly, just keep doing what you are doing. So far the company has been trying very hard to be respectful, helpful, honest and most importantly genuinely give a **** about their employees. Their success depends on us, and they know that.

"Young, dynamic, laid back but result-driven"

Current Employee - Supply Chain Manager in Burlington, ON
    Current Employee - Supply Chain Manager in Burlington, ON

I have been working at Prodigy Game full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

very good company culture. the two CEOs are in their late 20s and early 30s, and very approachable, helpful and supportive. free all kinds of snacks and fruits and coffee all day long; free gym and learning fund every month (you need to claim it manually); growing fast

Cons

office is in burlington, but they just opened a new office in downtown Toronto. The group insurance benefit they pick is not the best and could encounter some hassles in using it but good enough for a startup.

Advice to Management

good job, keep going!

"Great place to work"

I have been working at Prodigy Game full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing team, everyone is incredibly friendly, approachable and welcoming. Flexible work hours allows for nice work-life balance and the social committee constantly comes up with fun ideas and events for the whole company to participate in. Social Fridays start at 3:00 pm every week and everyone is encouraged to socialize, grab a snack and play games. Lots of different snacks and fresh fruit always available. A fancy coffee machine along with the Kureg (with a variety of K-cups) is a nice addition. Pizza lunch every other week. Bean bag chairs all over the place and standing desks if you get tired of sitting in your chair. Learning and gym fund is great too. Lots of opportunity for growth in your role.

Cons

The main head office is in Burlington which can be a bit of a commute, but there is a lot of free parking.

"Amazing company!"

I have been working at Prodigy Game full-time

Pros

Great work environment and an amazing team!

Cons

As a young company we change things a lot. We are very open to learning but this does mean that things are constantly changing which could be a pro or a con.

"Very good place to grow in"

I have been working at Prodigy Game full-time

Pros

- has lots of advancements opportunities
    - growing at a massive scale and all the employees that work there are just amazing!

Cons

- None really. They are doing pretty good.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

"Amazing company for Developers who want to grow and become masters of their craft"

Current Employee - Full Stack Developer
    Current Employee - Full Stack Developer

I have been working at Prodigy Game full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

* Lot of free space as a developer to be the master of your own projects and become an expert of your field. About a month in, I got assigned my first major project and now am consulted by others in the company on how my system works. Amazing feeling to be the master of something.
    * Continuous learning is a huge focus of the company and really rewards people who are willing to spend time to grow professionally. Learning fund is more than ample and workshops and conferences that apply to your position are paid for by the company.
    * Honestly this is just a really fun place to work at and the people there are amazing. My coworkers make my job that much more enjoyable as well as work with me to build the best product we can!

Cons

* I found that some of the squads within the developer teams didn't have a clearly defined goals or metrics to accomplish which made the work a little less motivating. Sometimes can feel like you're getting handed work instead of choosing what you'd like to work on.
    * Developer processes and systems are still new and not fully fleshed out. Overall though there is a large amount of effort to really come togethor as a developer team and improve the stack we work on and figure out the best way of doing things.
    * Since the company is in a weird phase of growing their internal numbers as rapidly as possible, the onboarding process (when I was hired) had room for improvement. Otherwise the company kits you out REALLY well at your desk with lots of prodigy swag and the work station of your desire.
    * No clear way to switch between teams to work on projects you're more interested in. This is currently being changed as the development team is starting an accelerator squad (onboards newbies and then assigns to a squad) which will allow new memebers to have input into what team they want to work on. Would be nice though for there to be a more clearly defined way to switch between teams / if all the developers want to be on one squad then why is that and is that a problem?

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. This is a really fun company, keep looking to make a dent in how we teach kids since it is a a really nice goal to have as a company :)

"Great People, Great Culture"

I have been working at Prodigy Game full-time

Pros

- Fantastic CEOs who truly listen to the feedback of their employees.
    - Fun and relaxed work environment.
    - Plenty of opportunities for growth within company.
    - Competitive salaries.
    - Great benefits.
    - The company's overall vision is commendable.
    - Prodigy is making a positive difference in the world!

Cons

- At least one of the lower level managers currently employed at Prodigy is inexperienced and untrustworthy.

Advice to Management

Keep looking for ways to improve company processes. I have been here long enough to see the company go through countless iterations to its processes, and I truly believe that processes can make or break a company.

There was a time in the company's history when the processes were so bad and oppressive that I seriously considered quitting. However, to the credit of the CEOs, much effort and deliberation was made in order to improve the situation. I am happy to say that the company is now in a good place in regards to its processes, and I hope that it only gets better as time goes on.

Prodigy Game Response

12 Sep, 2017 – Co-CEO

Thank you for the feedback! I appreciate you taking the time to provide us with more information on what it's like to work here.

In your "Cons" section, there's very little that I can do with the... More