Prodigy Game Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Alex Peters & Rohan Mahimker

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great place to grow"

I have been working at Prodigy Game full-time

Pros

Culture is amazing
    Constant new opportunities to improve and learn
    Work is meaningful

Cons

Things can get chaotic with deadlines
    The direction and focus changes rapidly which might contribute to above

"An absolutely amazing opportunity"

Current Employee - Game Designer in Burlington, ON
    Current Employee - Game Designer in Burlington, ON

I have been working at Prodigy Game full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

+ I've not met a single employee that I don't get along with. Everyone is incredibly kind and wonderful to be around.

+ Company values feedback and works to improve. They listen to their employees concerns and needs and work to address them to the best of their ability.

+ Generous vacation/sick day policy.

+ Fair health benefits (though could use better dental coverage)

+ Great work environment (very generous about getting supplies, constant drinks and snacks available, etc.)

+ CEOs are passionate about their mission to help every kid love learning, and aren't driven purely by money like other companies.

+Monthly fund for personal education, as well as one for health/fitness (which is so nice with how expensive gym memberships are)

+ Opportunity for growth in position, as well as the opportunity to change positions later down the line

+ Company is growing considerably and is projected to keep growing.

Cons

- On the product side, more focus needs to be put on iteration and less on meeting OKRs.

- Public Transit in the area is brutal (but that's less the fault of the company, and more so just the downfall of being in Burlington rather than closer to Toronto - if you're not living in Burlington itself, a car might be the best option for transit)

- Growing without adequate space. It's getting harder and harder to find meeting room space with so many new employees joining.

Other than that, I genuinely am incredibly happy to be working here. I think a lot of the excessive negative points expressed in some reviews fail to take into perspective the current job market, and as such can come across as pretty entitled. Comparative to other offerings in the job market (especially on the game side), Prodigy is an incredible place to work. You're not pressured into overtime (if anything they discourage it) like many game companies out there (i.e. Rockstar, Riot, Gameloft). The sick/vacation policy is extremely generous, considering most places are incredibly limited and strict about it. Not to mention both the Co-CEOs really genuinely care about the mission of getting every kid to love learning. I love a good video-game just as much as the next person, but working for company with an actual positive vision who value their employees health/lives is personally much better in my eyes than making a huge paycheck for a company who doesn't even care about you. Most people would be so grateful to work in such a place. Coming from someone who's worked in both food service and retail positions in the past, I am so thankful to have this job.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work of taking criticism and learning from it, whether it be from your newest employees or your oldest. Additionally, spend time and resources on making the product the best it can be, and encourage more communication between different parts of the company.

16 Jan, 2019

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!

It’s great to know you’re thriving in the work environment here and get along so well with your team members. Getting feedback like yours makes all the... More

"Hands down the best place to work"

I have been working at Prodigy Game full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Prodigy is high growth in every sense of the word. You will have autonomy and support -- the combination of the two create the opportunity to personally develop in leaps and bounds. Clear goals so you know what you're working on has an impact. Continuous improvement - Prodigy is always looking to see what they can do to provide a better employee experience.

Cons

There are no cons to working here.

4. "Best company I've worked"

Current Employee - Full Stack Developer in Burlington, ON
    Current Employee - Full Stack Developer in Burlington, ON

I have been working at Prodigy Game full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- It's really nice what we are building, very exciting. Game + Math + Kids
    - Amazing culture (learning mindset is really strong)
    - Nice team
    - Growing a lot, but still feel the startup atmosphere
    - Honest and clear evaluation process
    - Clear career path

Cons

- It is a really nice company, I didn't see something that I didn't like yet
    - For me, the commute was pretty hard. More difficult than I thought. Flexible hours, and working on the Toronto Office somedays helped on this point.

5. "Couldn't ask for a better place to work"

I have been working at Prodigy Game full-time

Pros

There are lots of pros, but I'll share four that mean the most to me ...

- Personal growth: Thanks to a fairly-generous learning fund and a company-wide belief in continuous learning, I've been able to read books, take courses and attend conferences on a regular basis to accelerate my career growth. I've been with Prodigy for more than two years, and have come a long way in terms of mastering my craft.

- Company growth: Prodigy just keeps growing. And growing. And growing. We have millions of students around Canada and United States using us on a regular basis. We're also successfully expanding into markets such as India, Australia and the United Kingdom. It's an exciting time.

- Mission: I identify quite personally with Prodigy's mission to make learning fun and accessible. I wish I had this product when I was a kid. So, I genuinely feel like the work I'm doing helps students learn and teachers teach. In fact, I *know* it does because our users tell us every day!

- Team members: It sounds super cliche, but I learn something new from a different team member almost every day. I'm incredibly privileged to work with such smart, passionate people.

Cons

Only one comes to mind as I write this.

It's great having formal 1-on-1s each month with your manager to encourage feedback and transparency while building a strong relationship. But, in addition to informal weekly check-ins, the questions and discussion topics get a little repetitive.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, and keep on encouraging feedback from everyone!

Growth mindset! Woooooooo!

"Software Developer"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Burlington, ON
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Burlington, ON

I have been working at Prodigy Game full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Amazing coworkers
    - Great product vision and idea
    - Good technology stack (ReactJS, GraphQL, Phaser, Node.js, AWS, and more...)
    - Strong focus on career growth. My manager cares deeply for my career growth. I've never seen this kind of dedication before
    - Very transparent company. They share everything from company valuation to salary bands
    - I genuinely feel valued by my manager and my co-workers

Cons

- Our teams aren't as autonomous as they can be, however there is an effort to improve it
    - Other reviews have brought up the young leadership. There is young leadership because it's a very young company. My manager puts in a lot of effort to compensate for the fact that they are new to the role. The younger leadership problem doesn't manifest much in the day to day support. That's been great. I do see holes in how we do our long-term planning due to the inexperience
    - Hiring and scaling ambitions feel a bit unrealistic at the moment

Advice to Management

I feel well supported and I love my day to day job. We need a stronger executive board that has grown companies past the 200 people mark.
    I'm really optimistic about this because the current VP of Engineering search has been transparent and well communicated. I'm hopeful that other departments do the same soon.

16 Jan, 2019

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts, both in terms of what we’re doing well and how we can improve.

We’re happy to hear about how strong your relationship is with your... More

"Amazing place to work"

Current Employee - QA Engineer in Burlington, ON
    Current Employee - QA Engineer in Burlington, ON

I have been working at Prodigy Game full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Flexible work timing
    - Lot of growth opportunities
    - Amazing Team
    - CEOs are very passionate about the mission
    - Great mission , it really feels wonderful knowing you are helping millions of kids learn math
    - Great snack options
    - If you are ready to learn and grow lot of opportunities to learn and implement new technologies

Cons

- Nothing i could think of ....

8. "Account Manager- Sales and Partnerships"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Burlington, ON
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Burlington, ON

I have been working at Prodigy Game full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Prodigy has developed a culture that promotes learning, growth, and excellence, and is a place where your colleagues feel more like friends and family . The co-founders/CEO's (Rohan and Alex), have created a place where you feel welcome the second you walk in the door.

Great compensation and benefits- this stems from a People OPS team that actually cares about your well-being.

Supportive managers who are focused on your individual career goals and advancement, but at the same time think of you as a human being instead of a means to getting better results.

This is a product that is 'fun' to sell/promote. We are actually making a difference in the world!

Cons

If you are not willing to work hard and adapt on a daily basis- this is not the place for you. We are the fastest growing technology company in North America, and that means constant change and growth that can be uncomfortable if you are not open to it.

Advice to Management

As the company begins to grow, work diligently to ensure every single new employee is bought into our mission and vision so that we can maintain our culture and not stray from our goals.

"Management in need of formal training"

I worked at Prodigy Game full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Compelling company mission and product
    - Variety of snacks in the kitchen
    - Pizza?

Cons

- Inexperience leadership with little practical skills on people management
    - Useless application of the SMART goal system for personal growth
    - Processes in the name of transparency often feel like lip service
    - Some managers will position themselves as confidants only to break that trust
    - Little say on the overall direction of your work in a squad

Advice to Management

You can't fix all the issues by telling your employees to just read books. They are a starting point but will not replace true experience specially when it comes to more personal issues. Reading these books I was under the assumption of mutual respect, transparency, and evidence based feedback. My experience was quite the opposite when my performance review was filled with 3rd party perspectives and no metric or direct team evidence of the negative claims. I constantly adapted and succeeded in delivering results but it seemed the goal post was always changing.

- Address management gaps in the leadership team.
    - Keep your promises when it comes to roles, responsibilities and opportunities
    - Gaslighting your employees is not a viable management tactic

"Lots of Room for Improvement"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, ON
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, ON

I have been working at Prodigy Game full-time

Pros

- The company is profitable
    - The company is growing
    - benefits are good
    - Dress code is casual
    - Working environment is open concept
    - Pizza on Friday's 2x a month
    - Opportunity for growth to take on another position if you so desire and work hard for it

Cons

- Your salary will be below market average and stay there in an effort to save the company money
    - Some of the outlined criteria for deserving a raise is a bit peculiar, and meeting these expectations gets increasingly difficult as the company ages given added criteria. One example just to drive this point home: Excellent performance at work or accepting an offered role with more responsibility does not always mean you will get a raise. Essentially, many employees are not valued despite it being a small company and every warm body is needed. This can become clear when meeting all requirements for gaining a raise, and still one might not be given.
    - No performance bonuses.
    - In some departments you will find yourself surrounded by those of below average intelligence. Many people here are knowingly hired with many personality problems and lacking in social skills. This might be because these people will take a lower paycheck and not be able to fight for better pay, typically. But that is just a theory. However, for this reason you will find some people are hard to work with if you posses an average to above average EI and IQ. You will find difficult people at any company, obviously, but I would say at Prodigy this occurrence is above average.
    - politicking
    - Employees are not trusted by upper management and beyond, leading to some micromanagement tendencies
    - persistent anxiety for employment termination felt by most.
    - some very poor company direction decisions have been made and continue to be made, if this continues the company will undoubtedly fade out

Advice to Management

stop reading books, and start thinking for yourself.

16 Dec, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write this review.

Making every employee feel safe and as though they have a voice is a top priority for us at Prodigy Game. We recognize that our continued... More