Prodigy Game Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

"Fantastic Employer"

Current Employee - Full Stack Developer in Burlington, ON
    Current Employee - Full Stack Developer in Burlington, ON

I have been working at Prodigy Game full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People over process, challenging work, fantastic colleagues, interesting modern tech. Great office perks. Supplemented fitness and learning. Tons of transparency. Lots of talented people to learn from. The product is fun and rewarding to work on. Both CEOs actively engage with all the employees. The swag is awesome. Many teachers and parents know about Prodigy and will give you recognition. Little kid fan letters are posted in Slack.

Cons

There really isn't anything negative for me to write about. It's a great place to work.

Advice to Management

Keep it up Prodigy!

2. "Great people, great workplace, great job"

Current Employee - Educational Content Developer in Burlington, ON
    Current Employee - Educational Content Developer in Burlington, ON

I have been working at Prodigy Game full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As a company, Prodigy does a fantastic job of hiring not only great employees from a business point of view, but just great people in general. In 3+ years I can't say they've ever hired someone that makes me question "why?"

There is a huge focus on transparency as a company as to where we're at, where we're headed, and how we're going to get there. Still, they are always open to questions and new ideas if anybody has them.

Finally, this is a place where you definitely have the opportunity to grow. If you are driven and a high performer, you will be recognized and rewarded for it.

There's lots of other things to love: lunch time games, company events, social Fridays, reimbursement for money spent on fitness and education, flexible hours, I'm sure I'm missing a few.

Cons

In order to grow and scale, there are a lot of processes and meetings in place, which can seem overwhelming at times and perhaps not always helpful.

"Lots of Room for Improvement"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, ON
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, ON

I have been working at Prodigy Game full-time

Pros

- The company is profitable
    - The company is growing
    - benefits are good
    - Dress code is casual
    - Working environment is open concept
    - Pizza on Friday's 2x a month
    - Opportunity for growth to take on another position if you so desire and work hard for it

Cons

- Your salary will be below market average and stay there in an effort to save the company money
    - Some of the outlined criteria for deserving a raise is a bit peculiar, and meeting these expectations gets increasingly difficult as the company ages given added criteria. One example just to drive this point home: Excellent performance at work or accepting an offered role with more responsibility does not always mean you will get a raise. Essentially, many employees are not valued despite it being a small company and every warm body is needed. This can become clear when meeting all requirements for gaining a raise, and still one might not be given.
    - No performance bonuses.
    - In some departments you will find yourself surrounded by those of below average intelligence. Many people here are knowingly hired with many personality problems and lacking in social skills. This might be because these people will take a lower paycheck and not be able to fight for better pay, typically. But that is just a theory. However, for this reason you will find some people are hard to work with if you posses an average to above average EI and IQ. You will find difficult people at any company, obviously, but I would say at Prodigy this occurrence is above average.
    - politicking
    - Employees are not trusted by upper management and beyond, leading to some micromanagement tendencies
    - persistent anxiety for employment termination felt by most.
    - some very poor company direction decisions have been made and continue to be made, if this continues the company will undoubtedly fade out

Advice to Management

stop reading books, and start thinking for yourself.

4. "Inexperienced leadership making mistakes and tolerating toxic behaviour."

I worked at Prodigy Game full-time

Pros

• Easy product to believe in: helping every child in the world love math

Cons

• Inexperienced people in leadership / management positions. Inexperienced leaders then turning around and hiring more inexperienced leaders...
    • Benefits and vacation policy are sub-par compared to most tech startups.
    • Office is either very warm or very cold, unwelcoming and unfinished - Prodigy does not prioritize the perks which tend to make employees happy or engaged in an office.
    • Most of the HR or People Ops team (usually the people reading / responding to these glassdoor reviews) are not formally trained and lack professional experience in HR or people management.
    • As a squad member, you have very little autonomy to make decisions and help direct the product.
    • They encourage transparent feedback, but they only hear what they want to hear. In the company “All Hands” meetings, the co-founders almost get angry or offended if people aren’t brave enough to come forward and ask questions in front of the entire company.
    • Prodigy uses something called “SMART” goals to measure your professional growth. It’s a list you write of things you’ve done or learned to advance yourself professionally (read books, take courses, etc). Although this can be encouraging at first, what isn’t directly communicated is that you’re expected to complete these goals outside of core work hours. Essentially Prodigy will reward you based on the time and effort you put into “yourself” (thereby benefiting the company), but *only* on your own time.

Advice to Management

• Stop reading leadership books and get some real leadership training. Hire people with years of leadership and management experience so they can tactfully call you out on your issues so you can grow and learn from them.
    • Stop tolerating bullies and allowing toxic behaviour (including microaggressions) from senior staff.
    • Start taking diversity and inclusion initiatives seriously. Again - hire professionals who help businesses understand the challenges tech companies face so you can improve the environment at Prodigy. “The fish rots from the head” and unless leaders are champions of the cause, nothing will get done.

"Not the best experience"

I have been working at Prodigy Game full-time

Pros

- Good benefits
    - Lunch provided every other Friday
    - Strong brand recognition
    - No probation period
    - Office is in Burlington (easier to commute too)
    - Decent pay

Cons

They do not encourage creativity or innovation. Processes are overly discussed and must be followed to a tee. Not doing so results in immediate termination with no reason given whatsoever. Group meetings are basically designed for us to agree with our management team even though we disagree. In order to be successful at Prodigy, you must keep your month shut and kiss up to your superiors. I never offer opinions or try to discuss any other options as I know I’ll be fired. It’s not the most healthy environment to work in but I can’t afford to lose this job.
    They have a poor mentorship/coaching program even though career growth plans are highly used as a retention strategy. I’ve been here for approximately 9 months and never had my coach assist with me on a project or provided me with any feedback on any of the work I’ve done so far.
    Feedback is only discussed among senior management but never with the actual employee.
    If you don’t mind being a sheep, this is the perfect place for you. If you have any views, opinions or past experience about strategy and planning, be prepared to be fired. For now, I’m a sheep.

Advice to Management

Deliver what you promise. Don’t hire people for a certain position and give them a lower position and expect them to be happy.
    Hire management who actually know what they are doing and able to inspire and motivate a team.
    Be open-minded to staff suggestions and have faith in your employees. Don’t undermine your staff.
    Have reasonable reasons to fire people. Your boss not liking you because you nicely and professionally disagree with their strategy, is not a good enough reason. In the end, we all care about the company and we want it to be successful.
    Unfortunately, personal pride and ego is more important. I got lucky that my boss likes me. Have a proper growth plan in place and follow through.
    This company needs stronger business acumen in order to grow.

Prodigy Game Response

19 Sep, 2018 – Technical Sourcer

Thank you for taking the time to write this review.

Making every employee feel safe and as though they have a voice is a top priority for us at Prodigy Game. We recognize that our continued... More

"Good place to work"

I worked at Prodigy Game full-time

Pros

- Flexible Hours
    - Lots of room to make the role your own
    - Learning Fund
    - Great co-workers

Cons

- A little bit of micromanaging

7. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Game Developer in Hamilton, ON
    Current Employee - Game Developer in Hamilton, ON

I have been working at Prodigy Game full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Tons of perks and benefits, work is challenging, salaries are good!

Cons

Too many processes to follow!

"Young, dynamic, laid back but result-driven"

Current Employee - Supply Chain Manager in Burlington, ON
    Current Employee - Supply Chain Manager in Burlington, ON

I have been working at Prodigy Game full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

very good company culture. the two CEOs are in their late 20s and early 30s, and very approachable, helpful and supportive. free all kinds of snacks and fruits and coffee all day long; free gym and learning fund every month (you need to claim it manually); growing fast

Cons

office is in burlington, but they just opened a new office in downtown Toronto. The group insurance benefit they pick is not the best and could encounter some hassles in using it but good enough for a startup.

Advice to Management

good job, keep going!

"Great place to work"

I have been working at Prodigy Game full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing team, everyone is incredibly friendly, approachable and welcoming. Flexible work hours allows for nice work-life balance and the social committee constantly comes up with fun ideas and events for the whole company to participate in. Social Fridays start at 3:00 pm every week and everyone is encouraged to socialize, grab a snack and play games. Lots of different snacks and fresh fruit always available. A fancy coffee machine along with the Kureg (with a variety of K-cups) is a nice addition. Pizza lunch every other week. Bean bag chairs all over the place and standing desks if you get tired of sitting in your chair. Learning and gym fund is great too. Lots of opportunity for growth in your role.

Cons

The main head office is in Burlington which can be a bit of a commute, but there is a lot of free parking.

"Amazing company!"

I have been working at Prodigy Game full-time

Pros

Great work environment and an amazing team!

Cons

As a young company we change things a lot. We are very open to learning but this does mean that things are constantly changing which could be a pro or a con.