Prodigy Education Reviews

Updated Jun 26, 2020

4.4
Prodigy Education Co-CEOs Alex Peters & Rohan Mahimker (no image)
Alex Peters & Rohan Mahimker
Pros
  • "Prodigy is high growth in every sense of the word(in 13 reviews)

• "Plus a great Health and Learning fund(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "There's not really anything negative I've ever experienced in my 10 months at Prodigy(in 8 reviews)

• "There are no cons to working here(in 3 reviews)

"Good job"

Current Employee - Data Scientist

I have been working at Prodigy Education full-time for more than a year

Pros

mission, coworkers, environment, benefits, education

Cons

commute, public transit access poor, growing pains, documentation overload

2. "Good Experience Overall"

Current Employee - Full Stack Developer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Prodigy Education full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Transparency, commitment to fostering a healthy working culture. - Career development and learning opportunities. - Smart, supportive coworkers.

Cons

- Some uncertainty about direction but they are transparent about this, and are making real efforts to figure it out. - Healthy working culture in most of the company but this is unevenly applied and some parts of the company that receive less attention are run less competently and have a toxic culture. - Typical scaling issues with teams working together, prioritization and planning. It's not ideal, but in my experience things could easily be worse.

Continue reading

"A Company That Genuinely Wants To Make A Difference"

Current Employee - Full Stack Developer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Prodigy Education full-time for more than a year

Pros

They put a lot of effort into their culture, and it shows! I care less about the ping pong and smash bros and pizza, those things are nice but they pale in comparison to the other things prodigy has going: - Actual attempts to foster radical candor - Positive work-life balance (yes actually) - Transparency around everything from decision making to salary bands - Plenty of opportunity to learn and grow in your role or move to a new one (there's a learning fund!) - A very strong, transformative vision that you can't help but get behind - Constantly eliciting feedback at all levels - Direct management trusts you to do your job and supports you when needed (at least mine does) - Salary is respectable - Benefits are great and start from day 1

Cons

- Missing a good remote work policy. I'm not sure if management just hasn't considered this yet, or if they are anti-remote. I'm hoping the former because the latter could feel like a lack of trust in employees. Maybe there's a fear that the culture will be diluted. If so, there are plenty of great ways to support the culture across offices and timezones. I gave Compensations & Benefits and Work/Life Balance 4 starts out of 5 because I think remote work kind of fits into both those categories. Otherwise both would have been a 5!

March 24, 2020Employer Branding

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your experience at Prodigy. Feedback from our employees matters a lot to us. We are thrilled to know that you are enjoying our culture and the benefits that we offer! We are dedicated to creating a work-life harmony environment for all employees. Our People Operations team has worked hard to create a policy that promotes work-life harmony. Having tested out a variety of work-from-home policy combinations, and taking many aspects of this subject into consideration, we have landed on a remote work policy that includes a combination of flexible work hours and a limited work-from-home option. We feel that this satisfies both our interest in keeping the team culture intact as well as our employees wishes to work remotely. Thank you again for sharing your feedback with us.

"Incredible place to work"

Current Employee - Partnerships in Burlington, ON

I have been working at Prodigy Education full-time for more than a year

Pros

Prodigy is the best company I have ever worked for and highly recommend as an employer.

Cons

No cons I can think of - Really!

December 2, 2019

Thank-you for sharing your experience working with us! Without our employees, we wouldn’t be as successful as we are today. We work hard to create a positive work environment and are happy to know that you have be apart of your success.

"Amazing place to work"

Current Employee - Partnerships in Burlington, ON

I have been working at Prodigy Education full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work life balance Health and benifits plan Stock options Room to grow CEOS are totally transparent Feel like you are making a difference with and incredible product

Cons

Too many meeting. Not a huge con but sometimes it can interrupt your day

December 10, 2019

Thank you for reviewing your time as a Prodigy employee. We are thrilled to know that you are enjoying our culture and the benefits that we offer! We are dedicated to creating a work-life harmony environment for all employees, with full benefits from your first day of employment, flexible work hours and work from home options. In regards to too many meetings this is something that has been addressed at previous all-hands. We understand how it can lead to interruptions within your work day. Work with your manager and team to determine what meetings are mandatory and what meetings can be optional. Also utilize your calendar to create time blocks for things such as deep work and communicate with your team how vital these blocks are to your success.

"Sales"

1.0
    Current Employee - Sales in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Prodigy Education full-time for more than a year

Pros

Ping pong and smash bros

Cons

Management is a mess. Does not trust employees. Workload for each employee is way too much and the top execs reap the benefits of the people at the bottom. Pay is nowhere near market and the hole 1030 to 330 is a lie.

December 2, 2019

Thank-you for taking the time to review your experience working for Prodigy. We are very interested in addressing your concerns about the lack of trust that you feel management has towards employees. We value your employment and work hard to create the best environment for work life harmony and professional growth. If that environment is being compromised, we’d like to know as soon as possible and work to correct the situation. If you don’t feel comfortable approaching your manager about your concerns, specifically the lack of trust and compensation that you are receiving, please follow up with our head of People Ops, Sarah-Jayne Lehtinen or another member of our HR team, such as Kerri Brownridge, Tracey Fitzpatrick or Zach Hammel. In regards to our core hours of 10:30am to 3:00pm, you are required to be in office during these times. Most team meetings are to take place during these hours; however, based on department/business needs, these hours may vary. You are able to create your own hours around these core hours, ensuring you are still working a full 8 hour working day, 40 hours a week. For example, if you are a morning person, you can come into the office for 7 and leave at 3pm. If you have commitments in the morning and would rather start later in the day, you can work from 10-6. Please work with your manager to create a schedule that works for you and the team. Our HR team is more than happy to help with that conversation as well. We really do care about our employees and want to make sure we are all practicing radical candor and a growth mindset. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to our HR team.

"Prodigy Game: Helping all Students around the world to love Education, and Loving work while doing it!"

Current Employee - Teacher Success Specialist in Burlington, ON

I have been working at Prodigy Education full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Amazing Culture - Wonderful People - TONS of room for growth and opportunity - Flexible Work hours - Incredible Benefits - Gym & Learning Funds - Stock Options - Super Smash Bros!! - Fantastic mentors & leadership

Cons

There's not really anything negative I've ever experienced in my 10 months at Prodigy. This job really is an absolute dream come true. The only potentially negative points would be, Fast-Paced/Big goal work environment, which can lead to high levels of stress. These shouldn't scare you away from this revolutionary company though if anything you should be excited about these things! Prodigy provides you with the tools for success/growth, part of the process is taking risks and learning on the fly!

Continue reading

"Prodigy is a genuinely good company"

Current Employee - Full Stack Developer in Burlington, ON

I have been working at Prodigy Education full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Everyone at Prodigy lives and breaths our vision and truly wants to contribute towards better education for everyone - Top talent throughout - Tons of fun company events - Growth opportunities - Good, friendly people - Transparent leadership

Cons

My commute is a little long, but I plan to move closer!

"Nice people, but run per management book theories and with engineer mindset."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, ON
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Prodigy Education full-time for less than a year

Pros

Top management seems to truly care about making education fun for kids. Workplace was generally fun, with support for Agile processes.

Cons

Focus on learning from management theory books and metrics. Worried about killing the golden goose, which kept new ideas smothered under committee.

June 25, 2019

Thanks for taking time to write this review and highlighting some concerns! We’re sorry to hear you feel as though new ideas don’t come to fruition at Prodigy. We’re trying to address this issue by involving those outside of senior leadership more actively in key planning processes, such as brainstorming and setting quarterly objectives and key results. On top of that, we’re focused on building out a more thorough product discovery framework. In doing so, we intend to surface and execute new ideas more frequently and effectively. As for our focus on books, we’ve found that a culture of continuous learning -- from the team member level to the senior leadership level -- has played a key role in our growth by allowing us to quickly build skills as well as encourage effective teamwork and management practices, such as radical candor. With all that being said, we’re happy to hear your experience was positive overall and that the company-wide passion for making education accessible was evident. Receiving this kind of feedback lets us know we’re on the right track in terms of fostering a cohesive culture -- thank you! If you want to expand on your feedback to help us implement it properly, Sarah-Jayne Lehtinen -- our Senior Director of People Ops -- and Tara Poirier -- our Senior HR Manager -- would love to hear from you!

10. "Excellent Company With Great Values and Culture"

Current Employee - School Partnerships Manager in Burlington, ON

I have been working at Prodigy Education full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great culture Many growth opportunities Management genuinely cares about the well-being of their staff Everyone's contributions are valued Company has a great vision Hardworking employees Great social events Everyone you work with, all the way up to the CEOs, are great people Amazing focus on work/life balance Overall a great place to work for years to come

Cons

None at all to be honest.

May 26, 2019

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review! We’re thrilled to hear your experience at Prodigy has been so positive. Reading reviews like yours makes all the initiatives and daily work that Leadership, People Ops and individual team members do to instill and improve our culture worth it! As you’ve said, we’re confident the amazing team we’ve put together will ensure Prodigy remains “a great place to work for years to come.” If you ever have more feedback, feel free to talk to Sarah-Jayne Lehtinen, our Senior Director of People Ops, or Tara Poirier, our Senior HR Manager.

Found 63 reviews