Pottery Barn Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Feb 7, 2020

3.1
Pottery Barn President Laura J. Alber
Laura J. Alber
Pros
Cons
  • "Too much pressure from upper management, makes management at the store level miserable - making the store miserable(in 47 reviews)

• "Low pay long hours thankless job that’ll leave you in therapy(in 40 reviews)

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews

"Visual Merchandising"

Former Employee - Visual Merchandiser in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Pottery Barn part-time for less than a year

Pros

Friendly co-workers willing to help out and in most cases work as a team. Great Williams Sonoma discount. A lovely store to work at with some beautiful products. At times a fun place to work. If you're in a managerial position then it's a probably a good place for career growth.

Cons

Too many employees on the Visuals team. No proper training for the role. Unprofessional upper management, the store manager was at times, passive aggressive. Scheduling was inconsistent varying from week to week, 35 hours one week and just 4 the next.

2. "Work like a robot!"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Pottery Barn full-time

Pros

Great discount. Was involved in many things. Learned a lot and it helps you to advance to seek new employment.

Cons

Alot of games from upper management, set you up for failure not success. Very stressfull and expectations and goals are unrealistic so that you do not achieve your bonus. If you do not make your plan you are scuitinized.

Continue reading

"Meat Grinder/Cult- All Brands under WS/PB"

Assistant Site Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Pottery Barn

Pros

You have a job and get a paycheck every two weeks

Cons

- Known toxic environment, upper management perpetuates it and has no intention of fixing - Cliques are spearheaded by upper management, you’re either in or your out, if your out you’ll eventually be pushed out of the company - NO diversity, mainly cis upper middle class blonde women - people who speak out about the environment or how they are being treated tend to end up on probation, eventually either leaving the company or are fired, being sited for things such as not smiling enough in meetings - Always hiring because people are always quitting, new roles are rarely ever created, someone will eventually quit and that’s how you move up, you stay long enough you’ll run the place, whether your capable or not - the work is not hard but never ending, most of the time your fixing your bosses mistakes or doing work someone else didn’t want to do - pay is not competitive no matter what they tell you - Company is majority women but the men there are highly protected and get away with sexual harassment, emotional manipulation, angry outbursts

Continue reading

"The people will make or break it"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager of Sales and Service in South Windsor, CT

I have been working at Pottery Barn full-time for more than a year

Pros

Co-workers are amazing Love the job - seeing people love their homes is amazing! I like constantly moving rather than sitting at a desk all day.

Cons

Too much pressure from upper management, makes management at the store level miserable - making the store miserable. The technology within the company needs a huge overhaul (why are we still faxing orders??). Not given the time or resources you need to do your job.

"great place to work"

Former Employee - Stocker

I worked at Pottery Barn part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great coworkers, easy to move up in the company if you choose to, and great discount"

Cons

upper management has no care for store employees

6. "Good company"

4.0
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Pottery Barn full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The people in the stores care about their co workers and customers. Competitive pay and benefits

Cons

High maintenance customers Gossip Upper management out of touch with how stores actually operate Too many promotions causes customers to not shop unless they can get a discount , bringing down the brand

7. "Good job through school"

Former Employee - Key Holder in Miami, FL

I worked at Pottery Barn full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible. fun work environment. create lasting relationships.

Cons

always very tight on their payroll. upper management has no care for store employees.

"No strategy, no people development"

Former Employee - Ecommerce in San Francisco, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Pottery Barn full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Nice location on the bay walking distance from BART -Once you get this company on your LinkedIn profile, recruiters will be banging down your door -You can grab lunch at the Levi's cafe next door

Cons

BUSINESS ISSUES: -There seems to be no such thing as strategy and planning here. People just run from firedrill to firedrill.
 -Lots of 11th hour reversal of decisions from upper management based on hourly sales reads. I agree it's important to react to market trends, but this company takes it way too far and the teams doing the execution are burned out and miserable.
 -Extremely messed up sale & promotions process, making implementing a marketing strategy next to impossible.
 -Lack of control over product inventory. You never know which products will be available to market until the last minute.
 PEOPLE ISSUES: -This is a company that will work you to the bone and not even say "thank you". There seems to be a philosophy of extracting the maximum possible value from employees without rewarding in pay, bonus, or promotion. They do have paper awards but you can't take those to the bank. -Very hierarchical, autocratic culture. All decisions made at VP level and above. If you're Director or below, you're just executing. I've never worked at an organization where leadership was so involved in the minutia of operating the business. -Professional development is non-existent in practice. Managers don't bother to set goals, deliver mid-year reviews or even meet with their people to discuss careerpathing. My managers no-showed or cancelled to just about every TB I ever had with them - even when they themselves scheduled those TBs. When I asked directly for feedback on my performance, I was told "everything's fine." -PTO is REALLY REALLY stingy. Two weeks a year for the first 5 years.
 -The 401K funds from which you can choose are horrible. There are only a handful and you can't even create a balanced portfolio with them. The company match is a joke. They match you twice a year after the first year, depending on date of hire, so you could be waiting around a year and a half to be matched. Also, you have to wait 5 years to be 100% vested.

"Old-School Corporate Environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Pottery Barn full-time

Pros

40% associate discount with all WIlliams-Sonoma brands

Cons

Poor upper management, no work-from-home policy, low morale, minimal PTO

"Assistant Store Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Pottery Barn full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Discount is really good.

Cons

So many things! Time and energy invested does not reflect in pay or advancement. I worked there 9 years, gave my all, only to be continually looked over for someone new. The real blow came when I trained not 1, not 2, but 3 managers above me, only to have them all leave eventually, but not actually DO anything while they were there. This did not just happen to me, but associates who also had ambitions of growing with the company. The raises were a joke! In 9 years, i made $3.20 more than i did when i started, while other managers starting at my same level came in making way more. I know what you must be thinking. Bad performance reviews. Wrong! Every year, i had stellar reviews. I trained my team and other store managers, had amazing sales results, and won numerous awards while there. Little experience? Wrong again. I have a degree in business management, specializing in hr, and many years of proven leadership and sales achievement. And the last question, whu stay so long if it was horrible? It wasn't always that way. It was a lot of fun thw first few years when Howard Lester and Chuck were alive and in charge. A huge part of me was hoping that magical time come back, but alas no! The upper management now is extremely untrustworthy and a far cry from "People First", a mantra that rang true in the Howard and Chuck days.

Found 47 reviews