Porter-Starke Services Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Porter-Starke Services Reviews

Updated Nov 21, 2018

2.8
Porter-Starke Services CEO Rocco Schiralli (no image)
Rocco Schiralli
  1. "Behavior Specialist"

I worked at Porter-Starke Services full-time

Pros

Enjoyed my coworkers. That is about it.

Cons

- Job is monotonous, doesnt pay enough, have to constantly work every weekend and evenings, minimum progress seen in patients, the group home is often neglected. Weak leadership and poor business structure. Not much area to move up on the ladder.

Advice to Management

Pay more. You require a bachelors degree but only pay 12 dollars an hour. I can probably make more at McDonalds.

Porter-Starke Services2018-11-21

"A nice place to gain some experience"

I worked at Porter-Starke Services

Pros

PSS is a good place to get some experience right out of college. They hire great people and have a good middle management team. Directors will overall train and support you. Good work life balance.

Cons

Senior leadership does not have a vision for growth. The organization is not poising itself to be able to grow and survive in a changing society. They refuse to do anything to change and keep up with other facilities. They are not transparent or accessible. They do not provide a path to grow employees that show skill. They lose many great people because they feel stiffled and frustrated. Good ideas get passed over... because they don't want to try anything new. I can see this organization becoming smaller and obsolete within the decade because of their refusal to be proactive instead of reactive to changing policies. They need to hire transformative leaders who are ready to make some real changes!

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Listen to why they are leaving. Focus on retention beyond salaries and benefits and find out why your employees feel like they can't and don't have a voice. PSS needs a culture shift.

Porter-Starke Services2018-06-09
  3. "Accounts Recievables"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Valparaiso, IN

I worked at Porter-Starke Services full-time

Pros

Monday through Friday 8-5 no weekends

Cons

Just needs a better training guides

Advice to Management

Rocco Schiralli is a great manager

Porter-Starke Services2017-12-28

"Clerical"

I have been working at Porter-Starke Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

Monday through Friday schedule.

Cons

Non competitive pay. Some departments haven’t been given raises in years and some long time employees are still making entry level pay even though they are no longer in entry level positions. However, Management seems to always to find ways to increase their salaries while stressing to other staff the organization doesn’t offer competitive pay because it is a non for profit organization.

Advice to Management

Make employee retention a priority. Do market research and you will come to the realization they are grossly underpaid and under appreciated.

Porter-Starke Services2017-12-29

"Micromanagement of staff and organizational chaos."

I worked at Porter-Starke Services

Pros

Supporting and helping clients.

Cons

I worked there only 2 years but right away I noticed many problems in my employment and the organization itself. There was not enough training for the tasks required plus trainers, which by the way were your future coworkers, were not helpful or willing to help new employee.  After all, as an employee I did not feel management was knowledgeable in their roles or willing to assist staff. The staff that was... knowledgeable and tried to make changes to improve clients outcome were continuesely put down for their efforts and told they were being negative. During my 2 years of employment I witnessed high turnovers of staff. Also disturbing fact that  many people who had been employed there for years, holding directorial positions, resigned in a short notice due to managerial changes inside the organization. Unqualified personnel taking over to micro manage other staff. Low paying job for tasks required. Some unqualified supervisors. Micromanaging. Gossiping about other staff behind your back. Chaos due to constant organizational changes.

Porter-Starke Services2017-08-26
  6. "I really enjoy it here"

I have been working at Porter-Starke Services full-time

Pros

The people are very nice to work with

Cons

pay is lower than many places

Porter-Starke Services2017-07-27
  7. "HR"

I have been working at Porter-Starke Services

Pros

Mission and values, caring staff

Cons

Workload can be heavy at times

Porter-Starke Services2016-08-01
  8. "Don't give these people your money! They thrive on turning out relapses. I've seen it as a mother. They are a waste."

I worked at Porter-Starke Services

Pros

Nice parking lot. Coffe for people. They like to replace one drug with antidepressants. They're the AMA at its worst.

Cons

Your child or loved one will watch at least 12 movies over 24 seasons that you could buy for $4 instead of $127 a day. They will learn to catch a ball the rest of the time or draw with crayons. They've set a whole generation back.

Porter-Starke Services2016-07-30

"Overall unfullfilling"

I have been working at Porter-Starke Services

Pros

Lay offs are unheard of and benefits are affordable. CEO is incredibly personable and full of influence - really fosters a great culture (if only the rest of the executive team would take a hint).

Cons

Pay is not competitive. CFO is very difficult to work with and lacks communication skills - often places blame on others and does not foster a team environment. New ideas from staff are usually shot down until an executive team "come up with it themselves". High turnover rate in most departments - usually caused by low pay and unfriendly staff/managers. Very little training provided upon hire is a common issue.... Amount of paperwork is ridiculous. Little-to-no standard operating procedures. Finding current policies and forms is difficult and inefficient. Some departments are small, leaving no opportunities for vertical movement. Need I go on?

Advice to Management

Competitive pay would help with retention. Consider changing to cloud data management to control amount of filing and paperwork in Administration. Sensitivity training, team building, and current best practices training would do wonders. The culture feels too dog-eat-dog.

Porter-Starke Services2016-06-20

"Behavior Specialist"

Former Employee - Former Behavior Specialist in Valparaiso, IN

I worked at Porter-Starke Services full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Helping people who needed help mentally who was at their lowest point in their life slowly pick up the pieces that they thought they would never find again. Having them leave with a smile on their face and hope for a great life. Listening to them thank you personally for listening to them and seeing life from a different outlook and for giving them a reason to go on.

Cons

Some downsides for working at Porter Starke was the upper management had no interest as to what their employees on the inpatient unit was doing or what they could do to help improve the work ethic.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be to be more present in all of the employees lives. Maybe schedule a15 minute meeting to talk to all employees and to see what they could do to improve working conditions, if there is anything they could do to make the employees want to go above and beyond.

Porter-Starke Services2015-12-25