Plentyoffish Media Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Malgosia Green

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Work/Life Balance Extraordinaire's!"

I have been working at Plentyoffish Media full-time

Pros

Amazing office culture!! They have really mastered work/life balance and appear to do everything in their power to create a fun, welcoming and supportive environment. Tons of work perks like weekly fitness classes, weekly happy hours, endless snacks and drinks and yearly weekend retreat with a ton of great teambuilding and bonding activities. Everyone in the office is incredibly friendly and there is a great team of execs. The whole office uses slack to communicate which makes it fun and easy to get a hold of and talk to coworkers and the company has a really great onboarding process. Really can't say enough good things.

Cons

So many snacks and desserts (realistically this is not a con but if you have zero willpower then it is a little bit)

10 Sep, 2018 – People & Culture Manager

We're thrilled to read your review on our work/life balance and culture here at POF and we do enjoy any opportunity to bond with our coworkers and especially love our food! Thank you for sharing your... More

"Changing Times"

I have been working at Plentyoffish Media full-time

Pros

Good culture, although that is changing fast
    Interesting product brings big challenges
    Nice view from office
    Improving processes
    Great HR

Cons

Cramped quarters
    Rapid cultural change to become more top down
    Declining transparency and stifled debate
    Decisions arent deeply considered, leaving bugs, knee jerk reactions, and wasted time
    Redundant staffing

22 Aug, 2018 – People & Culture Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We couldn’t agree more that our product is really interesting and brings big tech challenges which is what makes it exciting to work here... More

"Work Hard/Play Hard"

Current Employee - Senior Web Developer in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Senior Web Developer in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Plentyoffish Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Best company culture I have ever experienced. Company provides: unlimited snacks, drinks every Friday afternoon, and frequently puts on special lunches and social activities for employees. They are selective in their hires to ensure a strong cultural fit, to go with strong technical skills or professional expertise.

The office is located in a central location with a fantastic view of Vancouver.

Cons

You will probably get fat.

23 Jul, 2018 – People & Culture Manager

We're really pleased to hear you've had such a great experience at POF so far and we really take pride in the strength of our company culture. Thank you for sharing your feedback!

"Great place to work!"

Pros

Collaboration with some brilliant people.
    Challenging tasks.
    Flexible work schedule.
    Casual and fun atmosphere.
    Free snacks, and the view from the office is hard to beat.

Cons

Fast-paced, sometimes too much so.
    Not enough time to think carefully about the best answer to problems.

Advice to Management

Consider implementing some type of profit-sharing incentives tied to individual projects.

5 Jun, 2018 – People & Culture Manager

"Developer"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Plentyoffish Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great open culture, nice in house fitness program, best location with great waterfront view; free snacks and Friday afternoon happy hour.

Cons

working space is small, people sit too close to each other.

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback!

"A fresh breath in my career"

Current Employee - Automation Engineer in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Automation Engineer in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Plentyoffish Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. Plenty of opportunity to work hands on latest technologies starting from mobile automation, web and API
    2. Hackathon - loved it, for 2 days you can work on anything you want, build a cool app, present your pitch and take your prize away!
    3. Lunch & learn - share lunch with colleagues while listening attentively to the speaker, never heard of that before!
    4. Snacks - free snack for everyone!
    5. Happy Hour - every Friday you assemble and mingle with others , discussing topics ranging from sports to politics or get warmed up at Foosball table or board games!
    6. Trivia night & V-day party - both are awesome and very captivating!

Cons

We are still growing and sometimes it puts a lot of pressure to churn out latest app to our users
    We are trying very hard still scammers/spammers are making our lives really difficult :(

Advice to Management

More Recognition and Rewards program will definitely help to boost employee morale.

24 Apr, 2018 – People & Culture Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback! We're really pleased to hear you're enjoying your time here at POF and you're so right there is always something happening for people to get... More

7. "If you want to learn more, just work for POF"

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Plentyoffish Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good HR,
    Good Managers
    Good leaders
    They support good ideas.
    They care about their employees and if you want to learn they definitely support you - (sending to conferences and classes)

Cons

Some code is legacy and should reimplement them.

Advice to Management

it isn't so clear how the bonus percentage calculate for each employee.

24 Apr, 2018 – People & Culture Manager

We really appreciate your feedback thank you!

8. "Unique challenges in a positive environment"

I have been working at Plentyoffish Media full-time

Pros

Great opportunity to not only work with a large, high availability, high traffic system but also to work with a diverse, ambitious and highly talented team.
    Unique challenges and excellent experience for a career.

Cons

If you value consistency, this might not be the place for you. Plentyoffish changes things up on a regular basis. Also while things are improving there is still a mountain of technical debt to clean up.

16 Apr, 2018 – People & Culture Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback!

"Done is better then perfect!"

Current Employee - "Flavour of the Hour" Administrator in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - "Flavour of the Hour" Administrator in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Plentyoffish Media full-time

Pros

-A great overall work environment
    -Friendly staff with young, spunky demeanor
    -Nice perks like flex days, free snacks, and drinks, catered lunches during special events, lunch and learns.
    -Open concept office / great views
    -The company promotes personal and career growth
    -Competitive benefits package
    -Lots of social events like Friday happy hour, and parties
    -Hackathons events dedicated to working on something you enjoy, either for yourself or the company.
    -Free in-house fitness classes during lunch for after work

Cons

-High expectations to know everything
    -Job description scope creep
    -Very lean team with large demanding responsibilities
    -Heavy micromanagement (my way, full stop)
    -Opinions voiced are often vetoed
    -Team focus can change without any warning (non-emergency)
    -Highly disruptive environment due to constant issues
    -Knowledge retention and documentation is low due to the high rate of change
    -The high on-call frequency with instant response expectations (unpaid)
    -Team members are undervalued and told so
    -Unspoken expectations of following the team chat 24/7
    -Dedicated surveillance camera trained on the team area
    -The team is treated like a kindergarten class when being corralled to group meetings.
    -Critical events are usually downplayed to avoid scrutiny from upper management.
    - (HR: Get ready for all of this to be downplayed/obfuscated)

Advice to Management

The operations team needs a complete overhaul of its workflow and mentality. As agility is important in an application where quick iterations are important, it has no place in an operations based environment. Proper time taken into planning and implementing will ensure a stable platform for developers to work with. As critical events are generally downplayed, there is a sense of complacency across the company that this is normal. This is doing no one any favors. Upper management needs to start asking the hard questions into why this is occurring. To back up this behavior; the company has a mantra of “Done is better than perfect!”. It’s framed and hangs proudly on a wall, CROOKED. When will the management understand that this does not instill stability, but rather the lack of effort and pride to get something done right? It may come across as a funny talking point, but the joke has run its course. The end result is a burnt out team from constant firefighting with no motivation or time to improve upon things that matter.

Team dialogue should take a reciprocal approach rather than a one-way conversation. In most cases, the team is told what to do and left with no context. They are left to fend for themselves and feedback is usually provided in a binary fashion. Due to the lack of transparency, and in most cases little to no context and planning, there is little opportunity to take initiatives to work towards a bigger goal. This is reflected in the fact that there has only been one promotion to "lead" in the last 5+ years.

The team is smart and (was) eager; listen to them, if they don’t align with the overall goals, train them, be transparent with them, involve them in the planning process, show them the bigger picture, make communal decisions, mentor them. Don’t berate them for their inabilities, instead, equip them for success before “throwing them in the deep end” The dictatorship has to end.

Facetious suggestion: Start monitoring moral of all teams and set up threshold and STDEV alerts for it. Clearly, it's not being monitored nor considered.

For anyone external reading, this is just reflective of the operations team. In no way does this describe other departments at Plenty of Fish.

Heads up:
    Interviews are intense and could take several meetings. This is mostly vetting to ensure you can mentally endure the demands and expectations of this job. Pre-requisites core skills are just a fish and bait. With the job description scope creep, you'll be told that a new core skill is required of you and to go "figure it out".

Last CEO was cool...

13 Mar, 2018 – CTO

Thank you for taking the time to share your comprehensive feedback and we couldn’t agree more with the ‘Pros’ of working at POF!

Our product and huge scale in terms of supporting and enhancing a... More

10. "Fun, challenging, but neither to that "cliche" point"

Current Employee - Database Developer in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Database Developer in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Plentyoffish Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent people throughout. People enjoy having fun, and people crack a joke now and then even at critical times, which shows that everyone is keeping their head. The work is challenging but never "ok everyone come in Saturday" challenging. That's why I say it's fun and challenging but not to the point of IT cliche, where either the place seems out of control or you're overworked to death.

Cons

Very complicated infrastructure means there's a huge learning curve. Junior folks with junior skills would not do well here unless they're exceptionally fast learners and excel in other areas.

Advice to Management

Management has already taken employee advice (from already-happy employees) and has been acting strongly on it since last summer.

9 Feb, 2018 – People & Culture Manager

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and it’s fantastic to hear you’re enjoying your time with POF! We’re fast paced and there’s lots to learn which makes it an exciting place to be and we... More