Pixar Animation Studios Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Updated Aug 23, 2019

4.0
Pixar Animation Studios CEO Jim Morris
Jim Morris
Pros
  • "Great people and a beautiful campus(in 22 reviews)

• "Collaborative work environment, Highly skilled co-workers, Work on inspiring content, Great benefits(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "Pay for the bay area, especially for those that missed the stock years, is hard to make a future with(in 14 reviews)

• "Long hours, low pay, and stressful at times(in 12 reviews)

1. "Not a great company if you're young and ambitious"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Pixar Animation Studios full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Wonderful people and talented graphics engineers - C++, Python shop - Great work/life balance - Really cool perks. The wrap parties are a blast and the crew gifts are lovely. - It's great working with artists and other non-engineers so closely.

Cons

Full disclosure: I'm young and ambitious and it took me a while to finally learn that I should probably be working at a startup instead. - Way lower pay than other tech companies. I know one software engineer who was getting paid 75k a year. - No growth. Pixar hits the holy trinity of never getting promoted: 1) Great place to work for so no one leaves 2) Company is not growing at all nor does it have any... ambitions to grow 3) Everyone wants to work at Pixar Because of that, the feeling of being stifled and underutilized is widely shared among everyone at Pixar. Even people who have been there 25 years can only move horizontally. The number of people who have been there and desperately desire leadership positions but can't get them even after 10 years at Pixar is depressing to see for someone like me. - It's very easy for engineers to simply coast. I know engineers there who are completely comfortable doing the same thing every day without growing and that behavior is actively rewarded. - Poor managerial feedback for how to grow as an employee. - There is a major fear with some teams that their engineers are going to leave for sexier teams inside Pixar which is toxic.

Advice to Management

Give more opportunities to people for them to grow. Management tries to do so but it's challenging. Take more risks.

Pixar Animation Studios2019-08-23
  2. "The best!!!!"

Former Employee - Artist in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Pixar Animation Studios full-time for more than a year

Pros

Every single day I felt so grateful I got to go and be apart of Pixar. I was beyond inspired, between the beautiful grounds & building, the gallery spaces, the lovely light in the atrium, the fantastic food, the amazing artists I got to call my colleagues, I just had a blast. I was only there for 18 months but I enjoyed each and every moment of everyday. I got to contribute to beloved franchises with the... best directors, producers, leadership, and team. I got to work with my heros, incredible artist and developers and an entire studio of people who have been rewarded with awards for their incredible beloved films.

Cons

It ended! Unfortunately there wasn't a project to catch me and since I was a contract hire, I had to go upon completion of my project.

Advice to Management

I believe I had heard there had been some cuts to some long standing perks. I'd reinstate them. Don't be so quick to dismiss long time employees because of a new manager. Show loyalty and investment, it's one of your strength, it's at the heart of the studio. Once you show ruthless cutting it builds fear, and once that fear is there it become part of you culture, and then your employees will spend time and... energy being worried by every little sign or inconsistent comment or behavior and wonder what coming next. It's hard to work efficiently and do great work when people are feeling fear. That fear leads to stress and elevated levels of cortisol, it's not a recipe for health and success of your employees.

Pixar Animation Studios2019-07-16

"Stakes are high at the cartoon factory!"

Former Employee - Story Artist

I worked at Pixar Animation Studios full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

World class staff, great campus & amazing wrap parties!

Cons

Long time employees have all hit the glass ceiling and spread out as they’re promoted ‘sideways’ forming a management ‘muffin-top’. The leadership formed the company when young so they still want to keep making films but it causes a bottleneck beneath them and new talent struggles to climb up.

Advice to Management

Pay starting salaries that equate to the cost of living in the Bay Area. Diversify the leadership more.

Pixar Animation Studios2019-06-28

"Great People, Still Some Culture Work to be Done"

Former Employee - Cafe Lead

I worked at Pixar Animation Studios full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Amazing people and talent. Getting to work here was a dream come true. Lots of fun to be had and nice benefits and campus perks and Disney perks. The culture here is priceless.

Cons

All companies have good/bad parts of the culture. I’d say Pixar is working to address their issues but has a long road ahead to fix them. Some teams seem to have more toxic work environments than others. The pay is also shockingly low for the Bay Area and for a successful studio. The attitude seems to be that they can get away with it because the demand for jobs at Pixar is high.

Advice to Management

Confront hard truths with the “problem employees” if you really want to take a positive shift in your work culture. And compensate your people better. They work hard for you and in this Bay Area job market the salaries offered just don’t always match up. So many need roommates or spouses to just get by.

Pixar Animation Studios2019-05-23
  5. "Fun and creative Pixar"

Current Employee - Texhnical Artist in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Pixar Animation Studios full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great most creative crew here.

Cons

No cons I can think of

Pixar Animation Studios2019-03-30

"Great Movies, Great Perks"

Current Employee - Technical Director in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Pixar Animation Studios full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Get to bring great movies to audiences. Great benefits package. Great co-workers. Many people still believe in the ideals that led to Pixar's success.

Cons

Entrenched leadership, and too much of it. Has gotten increasingly corporate. Too many managers and technical leadership is turning into managers as well. Inability to distinguish mediocre from exceptional employees.

Advice to Management

Company is top heavy. Way too much middle management as well. Cut the fat.

Pixar Animation Studios2019-03-24
  7. "Great benefits"

Current Employee - Production Assist

I have been working at Pixar Animation Studios full-time for more than a year

Pros

Wonderful creative environment, great people.

Cons

Only baseline pay, challenging path to advancement

Pixar Animation Studios2019-02-18

"Enlightening"

Former Employee - Security in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Pixar Animation Studios part-time for more than a year

Pros

Pixar is more diverse than I expected. Employees ( writer, producers,VIP) are treated great Fun place to work

Cons

Because it is so fun to work there the pay isn’t very good. In the security department there is definitely a boys club. Can be very unorganized. If you speak about things that are unfair you maybe be let go. If someone has been working with the company over 10 years they are treated like royalty and they can do no wrong.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to everyone’s voice. Just because employees have been there over 10 years does it make what they say right.

Pixar Animation Studios2019-02-21

"I feel grateful for my time at Pixar"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Director in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Pixar Animation Studios full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The best job I ever had. Amazing work, even better co-workers. Memories to last a lifetime.

Cons

Pay for the bay area, especially for those that missed the stock years, is hard to make a future with. There isn't much chance of owning a home on a Pixar salary no matter who you are. Upward mobility is insanely difficult since very few leave.

Advice to Management

Figure out a way to help people have a future to provide and have stability for their family.

Pixar Animation Studios2019-01-17

"Great Benefits, Low Pay"

I have been working at Pixar Animation Studios full-time

Pros

Great community. Good Benefits. Friendly environment.

Cons

Low pay compared to other animation studios. Slow growth opportunities.

Pixar Animation Studios2018-11-14