Pier 1 Imports Employee Reviews about "part time"

Updated Jan 23, 2021

Found 180 of over 2,830 reviews

3.8
Pier 1 Imports CEO and Director Robert Riesbeck (no image)
Robert Riesbeck
Pros
  • "The employee discount was really good(in 185 reviews)

• "it is a great work environment to work at(in 117 reviews)

• Cons
  • "The credit card pushing was tough(in 367 reviews)

• "not great hours to work as a part time job(in 126 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "part time"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Give full availability, get part-time hours

Sep 6, 2018 - Sales Associate in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Surrounded by beautiful stuff while you work. Other staff are friendly (not competitive).

Cons

Had almost no say in being scheduled for part-time work, which meant you had to be available any time, but would actually end up with 10-16 hrs of work. Was not able to take the initiative to switch inconvenient shifts with coworkers. Can't say if this was my store only or company-wide.

1 person found this review helpful
    2. 4.0

cashier, sales consultant

Aug 31, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great store atmosphere, positive people. Satisfying helping customers feel good about their in store choices. Manager was very positive and even did hands on training herself. the discount was good.

Cons

The pay is low, and sometimes the hours were hard to come by, however i was hired for part time. Unfortunately the benefits were minimal for me.

3. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Not a long term job

May 11, 2015 - Sales Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

- The discount is good, although products are quite expensive - Most of the staff are extremely positive and supportive of one another - As a part-time associate it is easy to request time off (personal experience, this is dependent on your managers and how long you have worked at the location)

Cons

- Products can be quite overpriced, therefore leading to angry/annoyed customers - At times it can be extremely slow and the job can become monotonous - Flex or on call shifts, requiring you to call in hours before your scheduled shift to see if you are needed - A lot more labour intensive than you would think (moving furniture, displays, garbage, truck duties) - Minimum wage salaries and limited room for growth within the company

1 person found this review helpful
    4. 1.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

probably good to shop at...horrible to work for!

Jul 10, 2013 - Store Associate in North Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Visually the products were nice to work around A few other staff members

Cons

I have since graduated University and am working an office job but prior to that I worked lots of part time retail jobs and this was the worst! I would first like to say that I was not a university student disinclined to work, nor was I entitled or reluctant to work a part time job because of the nature of eventually having a degree. I want to make that clear since that has been my experience with other students who tend to complain about work due to laziness and lack of interest in a position that does not lead to their ultimate career choice. The store manager at my location as a joke: rude, demeaning,obsessive, arrogant and offensive. They have flex shifts so you ay be scheduled 1-6 with a flex till 9 but they wont tell you until 4 if you have to stay. I was told this wouldn't happen often but it was every shift. That manager thought she was saving the world it was unreal. So much bad mouthing and drama creation to fill her time sitting in her office (which was most of the time). So rude to the staff and treated other managers and shift leaders like dirt. The delivery system was useless so there were always complaints! never enough people staffed. Unreasonable hours/breaks. I ended up walking out after a conversation with my manager on a day I had come in outside of my availability to help. I felt my personal life was invaded during the conversation, under appreciated and dis respected!

3 people found this review helpful
    5. 2.0
      Current Employee

No Wonder they went out of business!

Nov 18, 2010 - Sales Associate in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

The hours are very flexible there, as expected in part-time retail. There was a lot of freedom to take on new tasks. Middle management was great -- made some great friends and learned a lot. Also, the staff discount was great. This is a good company to work for if you do not want to become invested in a career. Part time or seasonal at Christmas is the most I would do.

Cons

The store manager should have been let go years before I came on board. Thankfully middle-management was there to pick up the pieces for her. The store I was working for closed, partially due to the store manager, and partially due to the company doing poorly overall. This could have been a great place to work if the highers up kept a closer eye on the manager. She was ridiculous. She even kept her dog in the office where it would bark and make messes all day.

6. 5.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Pier 1 Imports Review

Jan 23, 2021 - Retail Store Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

very friendly staff and good working environmenet

Cons

not great hours to work as a part time job

7. 5.0

Fun place to work

Jan 14, 2021 - Sales Associate/Cashier
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fun environment, flexible hours, and good discount

Cons

Minimum wage pay, only offer part time

8. 5.0

Great

Jan 10, 2021 - Back Room Team Member
      Business Outlook

Pros

Always doing something, a great place to work

Cons

really no cons, just hard to get hours part time

9. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Not that great to be honest.

Oct 14, 2020 - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA
      Business Outlook

Pros

It was fun when I first started, but once corporate changed their staffing, they started to care about employees less and less.

Cons

Little to no employee discount, constantly understaffed making it hard to take time off, poorly managed, no benefits for part time employees, no bonuses, and very low pay compared to the standard for retail employees.

10. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Fun part time job for variety

Sep 9, 2020 - Sales Associate in Roseville, MN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fun part time job for variety

Cons

physical work for low pay

Viewing 1 - 10 of 180 Reviews