Pharmaceutical Product Development Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

3.3
Pharmaceutical Product Development Chairman and CEO David Simmons
David Simmons

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good benefits, good work-life balance (in 67 reviews)

• Ability to work from home in some cases (in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • Hard to have a work/life balance if you don't learn to say no (in 69 reviews)

• no work-life balance for at least first 6 months (in 25 reviews)

1. "CRA"

Pros

Good salary in general compare to orher cro

Cons

No Work life balance, work during week end

Advice to Management

None at the moment...

2. "Sr CRA"

Current Employee - Senior CRA in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Senior CRA in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Home based position, no need to go to the office every morning.

Cons

Success depends on the study team you are working with. Lots of unprofessional people working there.

3. "CRA"

I have been working at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time

Pros

The company name value is pretty good, and the salary is not that bad.

Cons

The company makes you super busy, and work overtime. (But no compensation for that.) There are so many communication chain, so it makes workflow so slow.

5. "Work experience highly dependent on the project team you were assigned to"

Pros

Satisfactory pay. Work from home.

Cons

I started as a Sr. CRA in a trial that's already ongoing. Study Manager and Project Manager provided minimal study training. Much of my work depended on my own self-study on the ever-changing protocol and reporting procedures. I took over sites from a former CRAs whom was much complained by the study coordinators and PIs. So starting from Day 1 I had to clear all the backlog left by the former CRA (unresolved queries and SAEs). The project team never addressed the sites' complaint. Study Manager was only responsive when Project Manager was copied in the email. Very badly organized project team.

6. "Good place to learn"

Former Employee - Senior Clinical Research Associate in Blue Bell, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Clinical Research Associate in Blue Bell, PA (US)

I worked at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Line manager was very supportive, reasonable travel, good relationship with study managers, great on board training

Cons

Slow advancement, can feel isolating (I worked from home when not traveling)

Advice to Management

Provide more opportunities for advancement

7. "Senior Scientist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Middleton, WI (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Middleton, WI (US)

I worked at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great workplace, friendly people who are eager to help

Cons

Salaries and compensation are not as competitive as other local companies.
    Work can be repetitive sometimes

"A foot in the door"

Former Employee - Senior Scientist in Madison, WI (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Scientist in Madison, WI (US)

I worked at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time (More than a year)

Pros

PPD was my first job out of school, and the management in the group I landed in was phenomenal (the Biopharmaceutical group in Middleton WI). It's a big company, so your mileage may vary. For me, there were ample opportunities for mentorship and I quickly learned the pharmaceutical industry. Management in my group genuinely cared about their reports. They were also very organized, effective, and good at collaborating with other functions. All of these traits made working there a pleasure. There were a lot of other fresh graduates and the group as a whole was very social and outgoing, which was fun.

Cons

Compensation is dismally low. After about a year I accepted an offer at another company for 1.9 times my salary at PPD. This is not atypical for the CRO industry, but being able to double your salary by jumping ship as soon as you have some experience makes it very difficult to justify staying longer than a year or two. HR tightly controls compensation, so there is very little your manager can do for you. With the high turnover rate you can get promoted fast, but your raise in pay will still be laughable compared to the bump you could get by taking a job at a big pharma company. All things considered, the pay is on-par with a post-doctoral position and the experience may be more relevant if you want to go into industry, so I would still recommend the job to new graduates who don't have any other offers.

Advice to Management

Your turnover rate is out of control and is a serious burden on the people managing projects. If the surplus of fresh graduates dries up it is going to be impossible for you to recruit new talent, and you guys could be in some big trouble. PPD as a whole should reevaluate their compensation structure, otherwise an abrupt change in the job market could seriously cripple the company.

"Manager IT"

Former Employee - IT Manager
    Former Employee - IT Manager

I worked at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits are good. Ability to work from home in some cases. Great PTO and work life balance

Cons

Too many reorganization’s in the IT department leading to low morale and worries about job security.

Advice to Management

Don’t treat employees like chess pieces that can be knocked off the board before Learning the actual value of the work that they contribute to the business and what they actually do on a daily basis before deciding to hand over their job to unqualified people in order to save money. The risks may not be worth the perceived savings You can’t train years of experience over night.

10. "Friendly but lot of work"

Current Employee - Assistant Scientist in Madison, WI (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Scientist in Madison, WI (US)

Pros

Flexible hours, and a friendly social environment. Other analysts as well as management will go out of their way to help you as long as you ask and do your best to learn as well. If you are fresh from college/new to industry, they have a guidance system in place to ease you into doing your job well - very helpful. Also, many opportunities to learn, a great stepping stone for people looking to get a foothold into the pharmaceutical industry.

Cons

Pay is very low compared to that from other CRO's. Relatively high turnover rate means that the analysts who have been working at PPD longer, get much more work to do, which leads to a poor work life balance, which then leads to those analysts leaving, etc.

11. "Remote Site Monitor"

Former Employee - Clinical Research Associate in Taipei (Taiwan)
    Former Employee - Clinical Research Associate in Taipei (Taiwan)

I worked at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Well organized operation system

Cons

Collaborations should be defined more clearly