PetSmart Employee Reviews about "working with animals"

Updated Jan 16, 2021

3.4
PetSmart CEO J.K. Symancyk
J.K. Symancyk
Pros
  • "Working with animals is fun, schedule is flexible(in 456 reviews)

• "Fantastic work for a college kid with a future in animal work(in 187 reviews)

Cons
  • "Poor management that did not care for the animals' safety as much as the bottom line(in 469 reviews)

• "Prone to dealing with misbehaving dogs(in 286 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "working with animals"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Best job I’ve ever had!"

5.0

I have been working at PetSmart

Pros

Work with animals daily Co workers are amazing and easy to get along with Good opportunities for advancement Recognized for hard work Flexible schedule

Cons

Employees call in sick a lot but I found that to be good because I got to pick up extra hours so it’s not really a con 😏

"I love working here!"

4.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peterborough, ON

I have been working at PetSmart part-time for less than a year

Pros

Everyone is friendly, great to work with animals

Cons

Sometimes it’s hard working with dogs as they can be aggressive

"Too High of Expectations and Terrible Policy"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Former Employee - Customer Engagement Manager in Nanaimo, BC

I worked at PetSmart full-time for more than a year

Pros

Get to work with animals, see the cutest come into the store. Learn about products that benefit many different types of animals.

Cons

Not allowed to be friends with coworkers. No team events/bbqs.

January 11, 2021Associate Employment Brand Manager

Hi, we appreciate you taking the time to leave a thoughtful review and are very sorry to hear this was your experience. We want to connect with you via the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693 so that we can try to help, as this is not in line with our values. Thank you so much for everything you did for pets and pet parents that came into the store.

4. "Could be better, could be worse"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Toronto, ON

I worked at PetSmart full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Working with animals Pays above minimum for entry positions Good way to get animal experience to break into that industry

Cons

Upper management puts a lot of responsibility and pressure on lower management Some deadlines for projects are unrealistic Animals in small animal department are not properly cared for

October 21, 2020Associate Employment Brand Manager

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We appreciate you bringing your experience to our attention and would like to speak with you more. Please feel free to reach out to the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693. Thank you!

5. "nice to work with pets but hard to get full time"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Ottawa, ON
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at PetSmart part-time

Pros

fun team, work with animals, work with humane society, make friends

Cons

pay is not too good, management wont let me go full time

July 21, 2020Social Media Community Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share and bringing your experience to our attention. Please feel free to contact the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693 to speak further about the things mentioned above.

6. "Company seems to be betraying its values: Disorganized, cuts hours, poor communication"

1.0
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Edmonton, AB

I worked at PetSmart part-time for more than a year

Pros

Working with animals, being able to recommend proper care for animals. Friendly coworkers. Select managers were kind and encouraging.

Cons

Extremely disorganized management, over 4 weeks late on final pay check. Scheduling is a mess, doesn’t respect availability. Cuts hours for long time employees but continues to hire new people. Has forces people to come in when they are ill even when given appropriate notice and workers are penalized if they stand up for their rights. Does not provide actual proper knowledge and training for petcare. Does not schedule enough time to properly close petcare meaning that animals are not properly taken care of and employees are held to unfair standards. It shows that the values of the company have shifted.

January 7, 2020Social Media Community Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We're so sorry that this was your experience at PetSmart. Please reach out to the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693 so that we can learn more about your time with us. We value your contributions in helping to make pet lives happy and healthy and appreciate you taking the time.

7. "Good job that was ruined by unorganization and awful management."

Former Employee - Pets Hotel Associate in Mississauga, ON
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at PetSmart full-time for less than a year

Pros

1. Surrounded by animals (if you love them). If you've had a bad day you still get to see silly, smiling puppies. 2. A proper company, never sketchy and don't have to worry about things like hours being cut each paycheck, every higher operation like payroll is by the book. 3. The people who work with animals are very like-minded and love animals, almost every employee was a joy to be around.

Cons

1. They throw you in without explanation, and if you make a mistake it's a dog that's at risk of the mistake 2. They leave you alone with the dogs, especially as a new employee. I was the only one around for a dog fight, I was put at fault because "how could you not know that breed has a high prey drive?" 3. Management is very aggressive, at least when I was there. 4. Management leaves you to do everything in the back, if you need help it's an annoyance (you're left walking 75 dogs, cleaning the messes they made if they puked or peed in their room which is always a lot of dogs, collecting and cleaning all the food dishes, cleaning the kitchen, hallways, checkouts, grooming, cleaning all the cats rooms, etc. within maybe 2 hours by yourself)

December 18, 2019Social Media Community Manager

We appreciate you taking the time to leave a thoughtful review. We're very sorry that this was your experience and would like to speak further about some of the things you mentioned above. Please feel free to call the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

8. "Why do you want to work at Petsmart"

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in West Vancouver, BC

I worked at PetSmart full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great way to work with animals. Has full benefits for management team. A lot to learn about how to take care of an array of different animals.

Cons

No team building, no get togethers, or incentives. Expect you to always work a little extra without pay. Goals are unachievable yet they say you will get quarterly bonuses.

November 7, 2019Social Media Community Manager

I'm sorry to hear you aren't enjoying your time at PetSmart. Definitely speak with your management team or the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693, as both can help. We value the contributions of all our associates in helping to make pets' lives happy and healthy and would like to learn more about your experience. Thank you for taking the time.

9. "Petsmart is a good place to work"

4.0
    Current Employee - Merchandsing and Inventory Leader in Medicine Hat, AB

I have been working at PetSmart full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Working with animals Flexible Relaxed work environment

Cons

Low hours Paid weekly paid minimum wage

August 26, 2019Employer Branding

We love working at PetSmart, as well! Interacting with animals each day makes the job so special! Thank you for sharing your experience. We're thrilled to hear it was so positive!

"ok"

Former Employee - Pet Care Associate

I worked at PetSmart part-time for more than a year

Pros

get to work with animals co workers are usually awesome and also animal lovers you can educate people to properly take care of animals

Cons

the conditions for the animals are eh, if you are an enthusiast you will get upset bad customers are at the expense of living breathing animals some of the fish available should NOT be sold at all.

October 17, 2018Employer Branding

Thank you for the review. That's great to hear you enjoyed working with pets and your co-workers. Thank you, also, for the feedback. Please know, you can always share via the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693, as well. Thank you, again.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 454 Reviews