PetSmart Employee Reviews about "working with animals"

Updated Jan 16, 2021

Found 454 of over 6,338 reviews

3.4
PetSmart CEO J.K. Symancyk
J.K. Symancyk
Pros
  • "Working with animals is fun, schedule is flexible(in 456 reviews)

• "Fantastic work for a college kid with a future in animal work(in 187 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Poor management that did not care for the animals' safety as much as the bottom line(in 469 reviews)

• "Prone to dealing with misbehaving dogs(in 286 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "working with animals"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

Best job I’ve ever had!

Apr 4, 2018 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work with animals daily Co workers are amazing and easy to get along with Good opportunities for advancement Recognized for hard work Flexible schedule

Cons

Employees call in sick a lot but I found that to be good because I got to pick up extra hours so it’s not really a con 😏

2. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

I love working here!

Dec 26, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Peterborough, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Everyone is friendly, great to work with animals

Cons

Sometimes it’s hard working with dogs as they can be aggressive

1 person found this review helpful
    3. 3.0

Too High of Expectations and Terrible Policy

Jan 9, 2021 - Customer Engagement Manager in Nanaimo, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Get to work with animals, see the cutest come into the store. Learn about products that benefit many different types of animals.

Cons

Not allowed to be friends with coworkers. No team events/bbqs.

1 person found this review helpful

Associate Employment Brand Manager

Hi, we appreciate you taking the time to leave a thoughtful review and are very sorry to hear this was your experience. We want to connect with you via the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693 so that we can try to help, as this is not in line with our values. Thank you so much for everything you did for pets and pet parents that came into the store.

4. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Could be better, could be worse

Oct 20, 2020 - Assistant Manager in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Working with animals Pays above minimum for entry positions Good way to get animal experience to break into that industry

Cons

Upper management puts a lot of responsibility and pressure on lower management Some deadlines for projects are unrealistic Animals in small animal department are not properly cared for

Associate Employment Brand Manager

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We appreciate you bringing your experience to our attention and would like to speak with you more. Please feel free to reach out to the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693. Thank you!

5. 3.0
      Current Employee

nice to work with pets but hard to get full time

Jul 20, 2020 - Sales Associate in Ottawa, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

fun team, work with animals, work with humane society, make friends

Cons

pay is not too good, management wont let me go full time

Social Media Community Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share and bringing your experience to our attention. Please feel free to contact the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693 to speak further about the things mentioned above.

6. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Company seems to be betraying its values: Disorganized, cuts hours, poor communication

Jan 6, 2020 - Sales Associate/Cashier in Edmonton, AB
      Business Outlook

Pros

Working with animals, being able to recommend proper care for animals. Friendly coworkers. Select managers were kind and encouraging.

Cons

Extremely disorganized management, over 4 weeks late on final pay check. Scheduling is a mess, doesn’t respect availability. Cuts hours for long time employees but continues to hire new people. Has forces people to come in when they are ill even when given appropriate notice and workers are penalized if they stand up for their rights. Does not provide actual proper knowledge and training for petcare. Does not schedule enough time to properly close petcare meaning that animals are not properly taken care of and employees are held to unfair standards. It shows that the values of the company have shifted.

Social Media Community Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We're so sorry that this was your experience at PetSmart. Please reach out to the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693 so that we can learn more about your time with us. We value your contributions in helping to make pet lives happy and healthy and appreciate you taking the time.

7. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Good job that was ruined by unorganization and awful management.

Dec 14, 2019 - Pets Hotel Associate in Mississauga, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

1. Surrounded by animals (if you love them). If you've had a bad day you still get to see silly, smiling puppies. 2. A proper company, never sketchy and don't have to worry about things like hours being cut each paycheck, every higher operation like payroll is by the book. 3. The people who work with animals are very like-minded and love animals, almost every employee was a joy to be around.

Cons

1. They throw you in without explanation, and if you make a mistake it's a dog that's at risk of the mistake 2. They leave you alone with the dogs, especially as a new employee. I was the only one around for a dog fight, I was put at fault because "how could you not know that breed has a high prey drive?" 3. Management is very aggressive, at least when I was there. 4. Management leaves you to do everything in the back, if you need help it's an annoyance (you're left walking 75 dogs, cleaning the messes they made if they puked or peed in their room which is always a lot of dogs, collecting and cleaning all the food dishes, cleaning the kitchen, hallways, checkouts, grooming, cleaning all the cats rooms, etc. within maybe 2 hours by yourself)

Social Media Community Manager

We appreciate you taking the time to leave a thoughtful review. We're very sorry that this was your experience and would like to speak further about some of the things you mentioned above. Please feel free to call the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

8. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Why do you want to work at Petsmart

Nov 6, 2019 - Customer Service Manager in West Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great way to work with animals. Has full benefits for management team. A lot to learn about how to take care of an array of different animals.

Cons

No team building, no get togethers, or incentives. Expect you to always work a little extra without pay. Goals are unachievable yet they say you will get quarterly bonuses.

Social Media Community Manager

I'm sorry to hear you aren't enjoying your time at PetSmart. Definitely speak with your management team or the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693, as both can help. We value the contributions of all our associates in helping to make pets' lives happy and healthy and would like to learn more about your experience. Thank you for taking the time.

9. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Petsmart is a good place to work

Aug 24, 2019 - Merchandsing and Inventory Leader in Medicine Hat, AB
      Business Outlook

Pros

Working with animals Flexible Relaxed work environment

Cons

Low hours Paid weekly paid minimum wage

Employer Branding

We love working at PetSmart, as well! Interacting with animals each day makes the job so special! Thank you for sharing your experience. We're thrilled to hear it was so positive!

10. 3.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Pet Care Specialist, PetsHotel associate

Jun 13, 2017 - Pet Care Specialist in Scarborough, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Get to play with cute animals all the time. Managers are very nice and friendly. They're flexible with your shift scheduling as well. Coworkers are all animal lovers. It's a positive environment to work at since everyone there cares about animals deeply. The pay is alright since it's a low skill labor job. It's a good experience for people who want to work with animals since you get to see the corporate culture and how they keep everything very organized. It's a good entry-level job for people who just got out of school or are still in school but just want to get more animal related working experience.

Cons

The job was advertised as full time, but it ended up as part-time only with around 15 hours per week. I confirmed with my coworkers that quite a lot people experienced this false advertisement issue with their job postings. I was only told about the hours after 3 rounds of interviews. I felt like I've been lied to and wasted my time. But I decided to take this job over other full time offers from small businesses I got because I want to see what is like to work for a big corporate company. It's extremely hard to secure full-time positions here. Even coworkers who have been here a lot longer than me aren't getting enough hours. However, the management keeps hiring more people while no one is getting enough hours of work.

3 people found this review helpful