PetSmart Employee Reviews about "dogs"

Updated Jan 21, 2021

Found 285 of over 6,785 reviews

3.4
PetSmart CEO J.K. Symancyk
J.K. Symancyk
Pros
  • "Working with animals is fun, schedule is flexible(in 456 reviews)

• "Fantastic work for a college kid with a future in animal work(in 187 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Poor management that did not care for the animals' safety as much as the bottom line(in 469 reviews)

• "Prone to dealing with misbehaving dogs(in 286 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

What people are saying about PetSmart

Join the conversation on
    Join the conversation on

Reviews about "dogs"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0

Best place I've ever worked

Jan 22, 2020 - Cashier in Ottawa, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

I wanted an environment without toxicity and I found it here. The staff are real people and very welcoming and great to work with. This is my post-hi-tech stressful life job and I love it. The managers really excel at building on my strengths and understanding my weaknesses and helping me with those. Oh... and I get to cuddle puppies.

Cons

It can be hard to interact with bad pet parents. I do my best to subtlety help correct things like under (or OVER) feeding, mis-use of choke collars and more serous things like physical punishment of dogs. But overall, I have a lot of colleagues who can come and provide expect advice and generally we can educate the owner. Oh, and pet parents who gladly let their dogs poop and pee on the store floor and ask me to clean it up. lol. yeah....

Social Media Community Manager

Thank you for your review! We're thrilled you've found life at PetSmart to be fulfilling ... you can't beat puppies! Thank you for all that you do you each day for your fellow associates, pets and pet parents, we appreciate you taking the time!

2. 4.0

I love working here!

Dec 26, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Peterborough, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Everyone is friendly, great to work with animals

Cons

Sometimes it’s hard working with dogs as they can be aggressive

3. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Good job that was ruined by unorganization and awful management.

Dec 14, 2019 - Pets Hotel Associate in Mississauga, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

1. Surrounded by animals (if you love them). If you've had a bad day you still get to see silly, smiling puppies. 2. A proper company, never sketchy and don't have to worry about things like hours being cut each paycheck, every higher operation like payroll is by the book. 3. The people who work with animals are very like-minded and love animals, almost every employee was a joy to be around.

Cons

1. They throw you in without explanation, and if you make a mistake it's a dog that's at risk of the mistake 2. They leave you alone with the dogs, especially as a new employee. I was the only one around for a dog fight, I was put at fault because "how could you not know that breed has a high prey drive?" 3. Management is very aggressive, at least when I was there. 4. Management leaves you to do everything in the back, if you need help it's an annoyance (you're left walking 75 dogs, cleaning the messes they made if they puked or peed in their room which is always a lot of dogs, collecting and cleaning all the food dishes, cleaning the kitchen, hallways, checkouts, grooming, cleaning all the cats rooms, etc. within maybe 2 hours by yourself)

Be the first to find this review helpful

Social Media Community Manager

We appreciate you taking the time to leave a thoughtful review. We're very sorry that this was your experience and would like to speak further about some of the things you mentioned above. Please feel free to call the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

4. 3.0
      Current Employee

All depends on your management

Oct 16, 2019 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great place to start out. They pay you to learn to groom. Great benefits package and retirement savings. Flexible schedule. Able to control your pay based on how hard you work .

Cons

Everyone who works in the stores are spread way too thin. They expect everyone to do everything without flaws and keep adding to the list. Somethings gotta give sometime. And when it does, be prepared to be reprimanded. In my store groomers are expected to groom, answer phones, cover daycare, cash, and be on the floor answering questions about grooming, all while grooming 5-7 dogs a day. Most days we take turns skipping breaks to get it all done, management doesn’t care.

Social Media Community Manager

Thank you for sharing your experience. We'd like to discuss more so we can understand better. Please contact the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693. We are fully committed to our pets and people across the organization and greatly value everyone's contribution. Thank you for taking the time and bringing this to our attention.

5. 3.0

It's Ok

Oct 11, 2019 - Professional Bather in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Tips Lots of sweet dogs

Cons

Catty Coworkers It's a business and doesn't really have best interest for you or the dogs, especially dogs with special needs. Extremely low pay considering the risk of injury, back pain and injuries such as bites/scratches that you endure. Additionally, if you damage someones equipment by accident, you must pay for it.

Be the first to find this review helpful

Social Media Community Manager

Thank you for sharing your experience. We'd like to discuss more so we can understand better, as this is not in line with our values. Please contact the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693. We are fully committed to our pets and people across the organization and greatly value everyone's contribution. Thank you again, for bringing this to our attention.

6. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

If it could be zero stars it would be

May 22, 2019 - Pet Care Associate in Stoney Creek, ON