PetSmart Employee Reviews about "animals"

Updated Jan 20, 2021

Found 469 of over 6,339 reviews

3.4
PetSmart CEO J.K. Symancyk
J.K. Symancyk
Pros
  • "Working with animals is fun, schedule is flexible(in 456 reviews)

• "Fantastic work for a college kid with a future in animal work(in 187 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Poor management that did not care for the animals' safety as much as the bottom line(in 469 reviews)

• "Prone to dealing with misbehaving dogs(in 286 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "animals"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0

Action Volunteers for Animals

Dec 27, 2020 - Action Volunteers for Animals
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Get to play with cats - Meet people from all walks of life - More knowledge about animals and the food suitable for different animals - Friendly co-workers

Cons

- I was just a volunteer working under Action Volunteers for Animals looking after the cats so I don't know much about the pay in PetSmart and other things

1 person found this review helpful
    2. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Rewarding sometimes & Always belittled

Dec 1, 2020 - Salon Manager in Chatham-Kent, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Rewarding & challenging, constantly learning new things. Benefits, decent pay with commission.

Cons

I worked 4 1/2 years as a groomer & 1 year as the salon manager. As a regular salon associate upper management belittled all employees, you would get in trouble if you turned customers away for good reason (such as being yelled/sworn at, dog was misbehaving, etc). Customers were verbally abusive. As manager I was expected to do things out of my comfort zone & was often talked down on by my boss. The company only cares about the dollars & none about the well being of the animals.

3. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Could be better, could be worse

Oct 20, 2020 - Assistant Manager in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Working with animals Pays above minimum for entry positions Good way to get animal experience to break into that industry

Cons

Upper management puts a lot of responsibility and pressure on lower management Some deadlines for projects are unrealistic Animals in small animal department are not properly cared for

Associate Employment Brand Manager

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We appreciate you bringing your experience to our attention and would like to speak with you more. Please feel free to reach out to the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693. Thank you!

4. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

2 years at Petsmart

Jul 12, 2020 - Pet Care Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible hours for flexible availability Good part time work for students

Cons

Depending on management, animals are not the priority Lack of full time positions

Social Media Community Manager

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. We appreciate all that you do for pets! We would also like to connect with you via the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693 so we can understand more about some of the things you mentioned above, as the safety of pets is our #1 priority. Thanks again!

5. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Company seems to be betraying its values: Disorganized, cuts hours, poor communication

Jan 6, 2020 - Sales Associate/Cashier in Edmonton, AB
      Business Outlook

Pros

Working with animals, being able to recommend proper care for animals. Friendly coworkers. Select managers were kind and encouraging.

Cons

Extremely disorganized management, over 4 weeks late on final pay check. Scheduling is a mess, doesn’t respect availability. Cuts hours for long time employees but continues to hire new people. Has forces people to come in when they are ill even when given appropriate notice and workers are penalized if they stand up for their rights. Does not provide actual proper knowledge and training for petcare. Does not schedule enough time to properly close petcare meaning that animals are not properly taken care of and employees are held to unfair standards. It shows that the values of the company have shifted.

Social Media Community Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We're so sorry that this was your experience at PetSmart. Please reach out to the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693 so that we can learn more about your time with us. We value your contributions in helping to make pet lives happy and healthy and appreciate you taking the time.

6. 1.0
      Current Employee

Not great

Aug 11, 2020 - Cashier
      Business Outlook

Pros

Some of the people I worked with were nice.

Cons

They dont care for their animals or employees.

Social Media Community Manager

Thank you for bringing your experience to our attention. We'd like to understand more. Please contact the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693. Thank you, again.

7. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Loved the job hated management

May 18, 2020 - Cashier
      Business Outlook

Pros

Got to see animals everyday

Cons

Management forced sales and didn't care about animals wellbeing

8. 4.0

Love the animals

Sep 4, 2019 - Pet Care Associate in Kanata, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Customers are happier bc they are with their dogs, get to pet lots of animals

Cons

Minimum wage for a demanding job, keeping feeding and medication schedules for multiple types of animals

Social Media Community Manager

Thanks for sharing your experience. We're glad you enjoyed your time at PetSmart and agree - working with animals is the best! We always appreciate hearing from our associates about any positives and where we can improve. Please feel free to reach out to the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693 with any suggestions. We appreciate you taking the time!

9. 5.0

Best job I ever had

Jul 4, 2019 - Pet Care Associate in Edmonton, AB
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits, coworkers were awesome. Fair and realistic employers.

Cons

Sometimes a staff member wasn't cut out for the job and animals suffered for it. I don't reccomend working here unless you honestly love animals. It's not just a job.

Employer Branding

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We read them all and appreciate the feedback. It's great to hear that you enjoyed the benefits and your colleagues. Our shared passion for pets is powerful! The health and happiness of our pets is our top priority. We'd love to hear from you if you had an experience that contradicted that. Please contact the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693 to share more. Thank you, again!

10. 4.0
      Current Employee

Pets Hotel Associate

Mar 26, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Building great relationships with animals!

Cons

Some animals can be hard to work with, gets very busy during holidays

Social Media Community Manager

Thank you for the review! We appreciate hearing from our associates. I'm thrilled to hear that your experience was positive. Thank you, again!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 469 Reviews