PetSmart Employee Reviews about "animal"

Updated Jan 11, 2021

Found 186 of over 6k reviews

3.4
PetSmart CEO J.K. Symancyk
J.K. Symancyk
Pros
  • "Working with animals is fun, schedule is flexible(in 456 reviews)

• "Fantastic work for a college kid with a future in animal work(in 187 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Poor management that did not care for the animals' safety as much as the bottom line(in 469 reviews)

• "Prone to dealing with misbehaving dogs(in 286 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "animal"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Current Pet Trainer, former AL. Best job ever!

Oct 12, 2018 - Pet Trainer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Hard work pays off. Easy to get along with co workers as you can always talk about pets and learn from each other. Customer service is fun and natural to provide due to the nature of the business. Opportunities to learn lots of skills in every store. Even the most stressful days are easier to handle because chances are you will at least meet an awesome dog. Your safety and animal safety is #1 priority and it really shows daily. Excellent employee discounts. Providing animal adoptions is really rewarding. Working with local rescues and charities.

Cons

Not a lot. Retail hours can be annoying but that's any retail job. Occasional difficult customers, however there are many resources available to go the extra mile to appease them. It sometimes feels like leaders are going unchecked. However in my experience a bad leader has been terminated before a staff has imploded. It can feel like it takes forever for something to be done but the right thing always gets done, eventually.

Employer Branding

Thank you so much for the review! We are thrilled to hear that PetSmart is your best job ever! You mention several things that mean a great deal for us - from career development and safety policies to our philanthropic work and employee perks. Thank you, again, for sharing your experience. That's great to hear it's been so positive!

2. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Could be better, could be worse

Oct 20, 2020 - Assistant Manager in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Working with animals Pays above minimum for entry positions Good way to get animal experience to break into that industry

Cons

Upper management puts a lot of responsibility and pressure on lower management Some deadlines for projects are unrealistic Animals in small animal department are not properly cared for

Associate Employment Brand Manager

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We appreciate you bringing your experience to our attention and would like to speak with you more. Please feel free to reach out to the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693. Thank you!

3. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

ok

Oct 13, 2018 - Pet Care Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

get to work with animals co workers are usually awesome and also animal lovers you can educate people to properly take care of animals

Cons

the conditions for the animals are eh, if you are an enthusiast you will get upset bad customers are at the expense of living breathing animals some of the fish available should NOT be sold at all.

2 people found this review helpful

Employer Branding

Thank you for the review. That's great to hear you enjoyed working with pets and your co-workers. Thank you, also, for the feedback. Please know, you can always share via the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693, as well. Thank you, again.

4. 3.0
      Current Employee

Pet care specialist

Feb 22, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

love working with animals and i'm learning a lot about animal care and customer service

Cons

hours are short, hard to get promotions or raises.

Social Media Community Manager

Thanks so much for the review! We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. That's wonderful to hear that you've learned a lot during your time at PetSmart. Working with pets and pet parents is so special and I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thank you, again!

5. 3.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Pet Care Specialist, PetsHotel associate

Jun 13, 2017 - Pet Care Specialist in Scarborough, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Get to play with cute animals all the time. Managers are very nice and friendly. They're flexible with your shift scheduling as well. Coworkers are all animal lovers. It's a positive environment to work at since everyone there cares about animals deeply. The pay is alright since it's a low skill labor job. It's a good experience for people who want to work with animals since you get to see the corporate culture and how they keep everything very organized. It's a good entry-level job for people who just got out of school or are still in school but just want to get more animal related working experience.

Cons

The job was advertised as full time, but it ended up as part-time only with around 15 hours per week. I confirmed with my coworkers that quite a lot people experienced this false advertisement issue with their job postings. I was only told about the hours after 3 rounds of interviews. I felt like I've been lied to and wasted my time. But I decided to take this job over other full time offers from small businesses I got because I want to see what is like to work for a big corporate company. It's extremely hard to secure full-time positions here. Even coworkers who have been here a lot longer than me aren't getting enough hours. However, the management keeps hiring more people while no one is getting enough hours of work.

3 people found this review helpful
    6. 3.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Don't be fooled - it's just another retail job

Jun 16, 2015 - Pet Care Associate, Groomer Trainee, Cashier
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Opening and closing with the animals is amazing. I love learning about the different kinds of critters in the Pet Care department, and I always tried really hard to make sure their standards were up to snuff - Coworkers - Animal people are usually super friendly, though I found groomers who had been there for more than a couple of years were pretty snobby - Decent discount on pet products - Solid managers (in my store anyway) - Pet Care was really on top of giving everyone their allotted breaks... Grooming salon not so much. - Adoption fairs! PetSmart does a great job on helping tackle the homeless animal problem, and I have to give them kudos for that.

Cons

- Lack of training. I received next to no hands-on training when I was a groomer trainee. I had a week of computer work, and was then thrown in the salon ON A WEEKEND to fend for myself. Absolutely ridiculous. They knew I had no professional dog experience (despite owning dogs) and yet I had no one to guide me on my tasks except for the OTHER groomers. It isn't a senior groomer's job to stop what they are doing (which involves kenneling or getting someone to watch their dog) to help with something that a designated trainer should be doing. Pet Care wasn't much better. If one particular employee hadn't worked there, I'm pretty sure I'd have had no training at all. - It takes ten years to fix something. We had no hot water in Pet Care for weeks, despite the reptiles needing warm water for shed baths and things like that. - Poor pay for the amount of responsibility you have in Pet Care. We're in charge of living things, yet we make barely above minimum wage. - Selling dog training classes. Why is that Pet Care's responsibility? People with dogs aren't really coming through the department, and if they are, they are there to look at the fish and move on. - Be prepared to have no one listen to your advice in Pet Care, unless you want to argue. The associates really do try to give the best care options available (especially for fish), but the majority of the customers are uneducated and don't want to learn. - Typical retail cons: long hours on concrete floors, petty people and uptight pet owners, cash register is ancient and terrible, pushy tactics for promotions etc.

2 people found this review helpful
    7. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 8 years

PetSmart

Apr 3, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

You're getting to interact with a lot of animal lovers.

Cons

It's impossible to get full time position at the store level.

8. 1.0
      Former Employee

Not good

Nov 16, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

The animal were the only upside

Cons

Awful management, rude workers, lasted two weeks, not following availability

9. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Good job, bad employer

Sep 6, 2020 - Petcare Specialist in West Chester, OH
      Business Outlook

Pros

Petsmart is the best place to work in terms of doing something you’re passionate about with animals. It is a rewarding job when seen as an animal care specialist.

Cons

This employer cares only about the retail side of the company. They don’t care if an animal dies. They don’t care if the cages are overcrowded. They will tell you to fix it but will give you no time or help doing so. They will continue to nitpick on how you smile at customers when you really need to be taking care of a sick fish. There isn’t enough time or people-power to properly take care of animals here. Pet care is a fancy word for vet tech, animal expert, retail expert, customer service expert, and merchandise stocker. This is a poorly managed company because the people on top are hoarding the money that could be used to actually pay employees. Employees that are juggling 5 aspects of the job I mentioned above are being paid minimum wage and expected to break their backs. These are adults with bills since the minimum age for petcare is 18 years old. It is impossible to hire good employees if the company doesn’t want to pay them. The animals are the ones that ultimately suffer.

Social Media Community Manager

Thank you for sharing your experience. We'd like to discuss more so we can understand better, as this is not in line with our values. Please contact the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693. We are fully committed to our pets and people across the organization and greatly value everyone's contribution. Thank you, again, for bringing this to our attention.

10. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great Experience

Nov 10, 2020 - Pet Care Associate in Manahawkin, NJ
      Business Outlook

Pros

Once in awhile there are things that warm your heart like when an animal is received pregnant and you get the experience of raising baby animals. There is a lot to learn and it can be a great experience if you are open to learning.

Cons

There are some people who care more about sales and business than the health and safety of the pets so always make sure you advocate for the animals. The biggest con is that there is a huge disconnect between corporate and the store employees.

Associate Employment Brand Manager

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us! We're glad you enjoyed your life at PetSmart. Please know, you can always connect with us via the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693 to chat through anything mentioned above. Thank you!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 186 Reviews