PetSmart Employee Reviews about "animal"

Updated Oct 20, 2021

Found 211 of over 6,948 reviews

3.4
PetSmart CEO J.K. Symancyk
J.K. Symancyk
Pros
  • "Working with animals can be very therapeutic(in 561 reviews)

• "Improve knowledge of animal care(in 211 reviews)

• Cons
  • "some animals arent trained well(in 677 reviews)

• "You can't train the dogs yourself; you have to be able to communicate well enough to teach people how to train their own dogs(in 495 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

What people are saying about PetSmart

Join the conversation on
    Join the conversation on

Reviews about "animal"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

I was so skeptical to work here and had my own biases. But I couldn't have been more wrong.

Sep 3, 2021 - Student in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Amazing management! Kind, caring, compassionate, friendly, fun, resourceful, supportive. -Humane management and workplace - encouraging me to take time off when there's a death in my family, when I ate something making me feel queasy at work; encouraging me to prioritize my mental health and will work around me, not working me. -Employee discount! For PetSmart brands, employees get 50% off dog and cat food. Considering how expensive their food is for any brand, that's amazing! Saves us so much money. -Honestly values the employee and showcases it every day at work. -Encouraging and supportive environment, even from co-workers (I have worked in retail and customer service for years; PetSmart is more amazing and supportive then any company I've ever worked for). -Genuinely takes care of the animals in our store with so much love. If an animal is sick, they have their own special room and routinely visit the local vet. Even if this animal is $15 retail price, PetSmart spends hundreds into their care.

Cons

There are so many pros that really, anything that could remotely be a 'con', is moot.

1 person found this review helpful
    2. 4.0
      Current Employee

Great company

Oct 12, 2021 - Manager in Chatham-Kent, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Amazing culture of inclusiveness, the company truly focuses on its associates and understands they drive the business. -Great team atmosphere. -KPIs are very reasonable and attainable. -Great benefits for Full time, surprising perks for for Full Time and Part Time associates. -Disciplinary process is very modern; focuses on the assumption that the associate wants to do well and plans a course to correct with support. -Great top down communication from Head Office to store level. -Engages associates to learn about the business/health and safety with monthly videos and provides an incentive. -Great job security; pandemic-proof job, no lay offs. Even services associates don’t get laid off. -You get to interact with animals and animal lovers day-in, day-out.

Cons

-Unless you’re a store leader, the leader salaries are very uninspiring. Wages are not competitive at all for associates and from Assistant Store Leaders down. -Although the progressive disciplinary process is fantastic, it can be an extremely lengthy process to terminate under performing/negative associates that affect the morale of the team. -Salon department isn’t unified very well with the core side of the business, leading to a “fish bowl” effect. This makes it a delicate work ecosystem that can make it intimidating for new associates and even leaders to navigate through. -Scheduling can be difficult as the YOY for budgeting declines, but the expectations remain the same or higher.

Continue reading
      Be the first to find this review helpful
    3. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Easy place to get into, hard place to want to stay at.

Sep 19, 2021 - Pet Care Specialist in Ottawa, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Generally good work community Always something to keep busy, days go by rather quickly Customers tend to be on the nicer side, even when refusing animal sales. Working with animals is better than not 50% discount on petsmart owned brands

Cons

Management can be really hit or miss, and often time changes multiple times a year Incosistent hours, no chance at full time unless you are management Training on animal care and store operations is very bare bones minimum. A lot of information you need to learn/research yourself online or with the, rather barebones themselves, in store resources Very little communication between management and staff unless it is to call out staffs mistakes infront of everyone. Staff is almost never told of events, changes to operations, new things coming to the store or anything unless the staff brings it up. Stuff tends to not get done on time, and if you dont get it done yourself along with the stuff you are sussposed to get done, it never will get done. Management tends to offload a lot of work on already busy staff while they sit in the office on their phones.

1 person found this review helpful