PetSmart Lead Cashier Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

PetSmart CEO J.K. Symancyk
J.K. Symancyk
  1. "Meh"

Former Employee - Lead Cashier in Red Deer, AB

I worked at PetSmart full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working with the animals

Cons

Cleaning up pee on the floor.

PetSmart2016-10-17
  2. "Good for young pet lovers"

Former Employee - Lead Cashier in Monmouth Heights at Manalapan, NJ

I worked at PetSmart part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

work with dogs, nice people, flexible hours

Cons

company stresses customer support with minimal training and coverage

PetSmart2019-07-10

PetSmart Response

July 10, 2019Employer Branding

Thanks for the feedback! That's great to hear that you enjoyed your eight years with PetSmart, including your fellow associates, working with pets and flexible hours. We definitely have a comprehensive training program in place to keep pets and associates safe. If that wasn't your ...

"Good job"

Current Employee - Lead Cashier in Culpeper, VA

I have been working at PetSmart part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Interaction with the dogs is the best part. Most customers are friendly and we get to know them. Fun co-workers.

Cons

Cut hours, not enough time to complete your tasks. The new stock room rules take too much time. Email capture threats are annoying.

Advice to Management

Stop the email threats. Cutting hours then adding new customer service tasks means the store is neglected. The new stock room rules have made organization impossible.

PetSmart2017-10-03

"Lead cashier"

Former Employee - Lead Cashier in Logan, UT

I worked at PetSmart part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Get to help customers find solutions and products for their needs. Get to socialize with pets.

Cons

No benefits for part-time employees, rarely got a break during a 4 hour shift, schedule was weird, never knew from one week to the next how many hours or days I would be working. Not very good pay increases. Not a job to pay bills. Just pocket change unless you are full-time.

Advice to Management

Pay your long term employees more money to keep them and give your lead cashiers a regular schedule they can depend on.

PetSmart2017-08-15
  5. "Outside hires > Advancement within company"

Current Employee - Lead Cashier in West Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at PetSmart part-time for more than a year

Pros

Willingness to work with hours/school/other jobs Experience with animals Friendly Environment

Cons

Glossed over on 90 day reviews, yearlys, and they'd rather hire outside company people for $15, than promote within to $13.

Advice to Management

Honestly, Management is fine. DM/Regional/Corporate are where a lot of the issues lie.

PetSmart2017-07-20
  6. "Good Workplace, if you are a hard worker"

Current Employee - Lead Cashier in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at PetSmart part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Nice environment if you like animals -Okay pay for what you do

Cons

-Sales focused if you are into that sort thing.

Advice to Management

Stick up for employees

PetSmart2017-01-10

"Not as good as it seems."

Current Employee - Lead Cashier

I have been working at PetSmart part-time

Pros

Fun with animals Good learning experience Develops your personality Relatively easy to progress if you're popular

Cons

Overworked and underpaid!!! Pet care basically either isn't trained and doesn't do their job, or is overburdened with the mistakes and laziness of others. Animals are always dying, it's an absolutely horrible experience that most associates don't even care anymore. Cashiers are told to sell puppy guides or the managers will get in trouble. Its to the point where every store in my area is "selling" them for free to... increase numbers. You need to juggle donations, puppy guides, facing and so much all at once and you're not even allowed to leave your little box. Groomers and bathers are always getting bit or scratched and I had a co worker that had to quit because she was always worried she'll be bit because of their policies that make it as fast as possible with little care. Managers are generally nice but are slaves to everyone above them and totally micromanage. Never any hours and constantly hiring new people with little to no training. Most associates get 8-15 hours if that, only managers, trainers and some groomers get full time.

Advice to Management

My management team was awesome, the whole experience really brought it down for me though.

PetSmart2016-10-18

"General working environment"

Current Employee - Lead Cashier in Warminster, PA

I have been working at PetSmart full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

It is a great place to see and handle all the animals you may never get to own. I myself am an animal lover, so this is the best place for me. I have worked here for quite a few years, so I have developed (I would like to think) a great rapport with the regular customers who come in. Our crew gets along pretty well (for the most part) and I generally look forward to coming to work. I also volunteer in the store,... so it's basically a positive work environment.

Cons

Obviously, the wages could be better - that's a given. I do think, though, that since the new owners have taken over, certain things have slipped.

PetSmart2016-04-30

"Lead Cashier"

Current Employee - Lead Cashier in Memphis, TN

I have been working at PetSmart full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I Love working at Petsmart. Being around happy pet parents is the best part! As long as you do your job and prove your worth, you'll love working here too. If you can find ways to keep yourself busy (example: down stocking, cleaning, etc.. you won't mind being a cashier.) You must like dealing with public and know how to handle all types of customers.

Cons

Not enough payroll hours vs. labor hours given to operations so you may be the only cashier on duty.

PetSmart2016-04-12
  10. "Lead Cashier"

Former Employee - Lead Cashier in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at PetSmart part-time for more than a year

Pros

This company is fantastic if you are a hard worker and know your stuff. Management wants to see you succeed and do well so if you want to move up just show it with your actions.

Cons

Having to sell puppy classes are the only thing that was slightly aggravating. Simply because when they were low on class numbers they wanted you to try to convince every person with a dog to take a class even if they didn't need it.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and keep listening to you employees cause they really appreciate it.

PetSmart2016-02-01