Penske Media Reviews

Updated May 23, 2020

4.3
Penske Media Chairman and CEO Jay Penske
Jay Penske
Pros
  • "A fast-paced, supportive work environment on the cutting edge of media and publishing(in 11 reviews)

• "Very talented engineers and great people to learn from(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "They've already added 401k matching and increased the PTO amount within the last year(in 12 reviews)

• "Benefits are not as robust as other media companies (no 401k match the biggest disappointment)(in 6 reviews)

1. "A Company Built on Kindness and Compassion"

Current Employee - Senior Director Marketing in New York, NY

I have been working at Penske Media full-time for less than a year

Pros

I feel that my wellbeing and happiness comes first at PMC. Communication is strong, direct and compassionate during the time of quarantine. I never have any questions on what is going or if my future at this company is in jeopardy. To not have a single complaint about a job, especially when people are struggling throughout our industry, says so much about this company.

Cons

I have no complaints at this time.

Penske Media2020-05-23
  2. "Fast growing company, built to last"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Penske Media full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Company is moving in the right direction and investing lots of resources to take care of its employees. I feel valued and set up well to succeed and thrive. There are new challenges every year. Company culture is empowering - high-accountability with lots of freedom to innovate to find the best solution and most efficient work flow. I feel confident that PMC will continue to grow and be a leader in its field.

Cons

With so many newly acquired brands (at least 1 new acquisition every year over the last several years), there is little uniformity in work processes. Every brand has its own way of doing things and is slow to change. This is challenging and can be frustrating to work with, especially for teams that work across multiple brands.

Penske Media2020-04-16
  3. "A Company that Actually Cares"

Current Employee - Copy Editor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Penske Media full-time for more than a year

Pros

Extremely helpful and attentive during the virus. Everyone is set on helping you achieve your goals. A fun work environment that leads to cross-brand collaboration.

Cons

Promotion structure could be better defined.

Penske Media2020-04-15
  4. "Keeping us safe"

Current Employee - Director in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Penske Media full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

taking care of us during corona virus

Cons

no cons at this time

Penske Media2020-03-19
  5. "CV-19 Response"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Penske Media full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Company's response through COVID-19 issues has been really good. They have given us a lot of communication, implemented work from home notices and suspended PTO tracking so that we don't have to worry about not getting paid if we can't work because we are sick or have to take care of kids home from school. They really try to take care of their employees.

Cons

None. It's times like these that make us appreciate how PMC treats their employees.

Penske Media2020-03-15
  6. "Almost 5 years and counting!"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Penske Media full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Usually after about 2 years I am ready to leave a company. Most of the time things get stale or I am not learning new things. At PMC, after nearly 5 years, I am still here learning new things and taking on new, interesting challenges. The folks we have on our team are some of the best, brightest, and nicest I've ever had the pleasure to work with. We have great management that understand work-life balance, and knows well-treated employees stay and do great work. The talent we attract and retain is a testament to this great company.

Cons

I have no complaints at all.

Penske Media2020-02-27
  7. "Absolutely love my job and hope to stay here for a long time"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Penske Media full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Awesome team of hard working and well adjusted people that genuinely care about each other - Excellent leadership on our team - really trust my bosses and they are very accessible - Attention to increasing diversity on the product/engineering team, and several female engineers - Good remote culture - yearly in-person team summit in LA, and awesome Halloween party - Support for further learning, attending and speaking at conferences, and contributing to open source - Nice balance of deadline-driven development and longer term product-oriented development and improving our workflows/code-bases keeps things interesting - Broad array of technologies to work with - including adoption of new tech - Openness to new ideas from engineers, and overall ethos of improving with each new project - Fantastic project and product management - agile at a large company, but not the corporate-feeling agile you might picture. The product managers are excellent at determining requirements and interfacing with the brands. I feel very protected as an engineer. - Collaborative, supportive, humble and blameless engineering ethos - we share responsibility for our core tech, and lots of support in slack channels or one-on-one. Very talented engineers and great people to learn from. - Engineering career ladder that includes paths for individual contribution and management, and a direct manager to meet with for regular one-on-ones to track your growth and goals

Cons

- It can be difficult to get buy in for higher-level planning and research for engineering initiatives - engineering work generally happens in the context of a specific business requirement and those requirements frequently change. - Our team is growing and sometimes formal processes are lacking - especially when I started, it was challenging to know who to talk to about what. The solution is to be confident and ask questions :)

Penske Media2020-02-25
  8. "Fantastic Team, Fantastic Culture, Growing Company"

I have been working at Penske Media full-time for more than a year

Pros

The Product, Engineering, Project team is one that really cares about each other as people and helps each other grow. There is a structured career ladder, so you know what is expected of you at your current role and what you need to be doing to get to the next level. There is a never-ending supply of work to be done, which leads to tough decisions needing to be made, but the team rallies to make those decisions and support each other to ensure we are successful.

Cons

The LA office seems to be the favored son. The people in that office get +1s for the Halloween party, in-office massages, and they removed the half-day for NYE which is really hard with the NYC office being close to Times Square. Remote employee benefits are minimal.

Penske Media2020-02-20
  9. "Fast Growing Company, Lots of Opportunities for Growth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Penske Media full-time for more than a year

Pros

PMC has an impressive portfolio of iconic/historic brands, but company is also not afraid of new endeavors and challenges. I've been working here for over 2 years, and there's never been a dull moment of doing the same thing over and over again because the CEO is always looking for new areas to grow the business. With so much growth and expansion comes new opportunities, and PMC does a good job of trusting its employees to implement the vision. I'm lucky to work with a group of very talented people that inspire me every day. The company also is very proactive in building a great culture for its employees by having great team-building retreats, holiday parties, and volunteer programs. There's also free breakfast and snacks in the well-equiped kitchen. Who can complain about that!

Cons

I think the company is growing so fast that some processes were overlooked and have not been completely implemented. They currently have no mandatory yearly review or cost of living increases. I do think Jay Penske is listening to his employees and is working hard to get a better system in place within the company. They've already added 401k matching and increased the PTO amount within the last year.

Penske Media2020-02-11
  10. "Amazing company to work for!"

Current Employee - Associate Product Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Penske Media full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Product Engineering Project department is great! A really fun and hardworking team. - PMC has fun events, snacks all day, and massages on Wednesday - A company that encourages you to learn!

Cons

Not a lot of food places/shops around the LA office.

Penske Media2020-02-06