Pearson Reviews

3.3
Pearson CEO John Fallon
John Fallon
1,382 Ratings

"Sales and Editorial Representative"

I worked at Pearson full-time

Pros

You can come in and 10 and leave at 4:30 most days. Very very slow paced job leaves lots of time for work like balance.

Cons

Nobody has any idea what's happening. There is actually a way for you to project your upcoming campaigns intelligently rather than relying on some archaic methods from the 90s. As a whole, the company is going downhill and is so huge that all the big endeavours are happening too slowly, and you can feel it when you work there. Pearson is going to continue to decline and that's an uneasy feeling to have when you're employed there.

Pearson Response

Digital Engagement Manager

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. As I’m sure you were aware when you were employed here, our company is undergoing a large transformation to better serve our customers. These changes can be difficult for employees and we have been working hard to stay transparent in our communication so all team members understand where we are headed together and can offer suggestions to make improvements. We aim to become an innovative lifelong education partner that empowers teachers and learners to achieve their goals in school, work and life.

"Probably the worst company I have ever had the pleasure to work at"

I worked at Pearson full-time

Pros

Good health benefits but only in Canada.

Cons

No appreciation whatsoever to their employees. It is like a huge boys club. If you know how to talk big, you'll be the fav of the month. A huge amount of turnarounds. Especially in the Marketing department as the leadership of the department is basically somebody only cares about the bottom-line. People were leaving left and right ever since he was promoted.

Pearson Response

Digital Engagement Manager

Thank you for your candid feedback. Our company is in the midst of an ongoing transformation to better serve our customers with effective and accessible digital solutions. During this period of change, employees might understandably feel uneasy and we hate to see valued employees leave. As a company we are working to get better at being a transparent organization--communicating pertinent information through our intranet, Town Halls, and management--so everyone understands how they help realize the broader company goals through their work.

"Shameful culture and business model"

Former Employee - Enrollment Advisor in Toronto, ON

I worked at Pearson full-time for more than a year

Pros

Paycheck twice a month. A lunch is permitted. Unlimited bathroom breaks. Parking lot is useful and also very close to the Gym. Decent benefits overall.

Cons

This place is designed to be a revolving door. Imagine a place where sales people are ‘not allowed’ to earn commission, and are eligible for a 2% raise at the end of the year. Advancement is close to impossible. Micro-management high and the lowest pay possible. Hands down, worst place I’ve ever worked.

"Marketing Coordinator"

4.0
    Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Toronto, ON

I worked at Pearson full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good Companies, HR are really making an effort to have a good work environment. People are given the technological tools to be able to do their job effectively.

Cons

Like every companies, it really depends of your manager and your team.

5. "Pearson Review for Admissions Counsellor"

I worked at Pearson

Pros

Team was nice, salary start was okay, flexible overall

Cons

No growth opportunities, micro managed

6. "It's okay"

I have been working at Pearson full-time

Pros

If you are working in technology it's not a bad place to be. The management team is investing in career paths, and training for people in this field.

Cons

If you work in content development there are fewer benefits, there isn't even a discussion about creating content development career paths, which is unfortunate.

7. "Media Developer Co-op at Pearson Canada Inc."

5.0
    Media Developer Co-op in Toronto, ON

I worked at Pearson

Pros

The perfect example of internship jobs

Cons

Great Place to have co-op job and build you further career. Lots of different tasks and assignments. Great Manager and other Senior Media Developers.

"Test Administrator"

Former Employee - Test Center Administrator in Burnaby, BC
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Pearson part-time for more than a year

Pros

Near public transit and a few coffee shops. Flexible hours that work well around other commitments. Those employees who are post-secondary students have a quiet place to study.

Cons

Very low rate of pay, barely higher than the regional minimum wage. Hours fluctuate a lot, sometimes as few as 4 hours per week. Few opportunities for career advancement or training, even when desire to learn is communicated. Regional managers communicate only when there are problems, sometimes even answering emails from employees with unrelated criticism. No break room, and no coffee. Christmas "bonuses" are tins of pretzels to be shared among staff, or cheap toys like umbrellas. Unnecessary and invasive security procedures for test takers. Little training or support for staff dealing with a problem manager/supervisor. High turnover in executive positions and rocky client relationships on the corporate level did not inspire confidence.

"Potential missed"

2.0
     in Don Mills, ON

I worked at Pearson

Pros

Great people, some of the brightest I have ever met - share information - helpful - very team-focused

Cons

- Poor training program - Pay stinks - Can only advance is manager or supervisor like you - Operates like an old boys club in a world that is changing quickly

10. "It's ok I guess"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Toronto, ON
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Pearson full-time for less than a year

Pros

Benefits are good - health care and 401k and vision and dental and other benefits are good. They are good benefits.

Cons

Too big of a company to have any connection to everyone else and you lose the intimacy of small groups and it's too big

Found 3801 reviews