Pearson Reviews

John Fallon
1,361 Ratings

"SuPervisor"

I worked at Pearson full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Can’t think of any. It was boring and tedious

Cons

Micro managed , unsupported, boring.

2. "Software Developer"

4.0
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Burlington, ON

I worked at Pearson full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent work life balance and reasonable pay and benefits.

Cons

Lack of advancement opportunities and no consistency in leadership goals.

3. "Positive experience"

4.0

I worked at Pearson part-time

Pros

Advancement is very possible if openings occur, travel opportunities, flexible schedule, helpful management

Cons

There are few openings for advancement, which is not really a con, unless you wished to move into management.

"Toxic"

I worked at Pearson full-time

Pros

They have good benefits and pension.

Cons

Poor leadership. No room to grow.

"Stay away from this company, not worth it at all"

Former Employee - Customer Support Representative in Toronto, ON

I worked at Pearson full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good benefits from day 1 They have a pension plan

Cons

They make you work like a dog, they don't respect you and they give you terrible support. Worst experience of my life. Team leaders are very bad micro managers For overnight shifts only one person is there which is very insecure

Continue reading
  6. "Great Learning Much Change"

I worked at Pearson full-time

Pros

Met some good people at this job

Cons

Location is a challenge for transit

"Test Administrator"

Current Employee - Test Center Administrator

I have been working at Pearson part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible hours sometimes. Great for a semi-retired person or someone getting back into the work force.

Cons

This company does not pay well. It is slightly elevated from retail and the only real difference is that a test administrator has the opportunity to sit on the job, rather than stand. The company does not respect their employees and negative feedback is the way they rule the company. There are cameras everywhere and they may take a look at what you're doing. You could be doing a fantastic job, but they will comment on the one thing you are doing wrong. There are flexible hours when there is enough staff, but the staff turnover is high. It takes them 45 days to hire and another two to three weeks to train. This creates a bind when someone leaves and gives two weeks notice. They may hire at a certain rate above minimum wage, but they give very small raises and if minimum wage increases - they will not acknowledge the change in the pay of the current employees. New employees are hired at a higher rate. This means if you've been there for two years, the new employees often make maybe a few cents less than the older, proven employees. They give little consideration to advice from staff members regarding cost cutting ideas or any other input. Human Resources is not located in the same city, or the same country. They approve whether staff can be hired. Our office is in a bind and short staffed. We knew someone was going to leave but because that staff member didn't put the notice in until the last moment, human resources would not approve a hire. This put the rest of the office members in a bind.

February 2, 2018Digital Engagement Manager

Thank you for your review. We are listening to our employees--through this channel as well as our internal communications channels. Changes in a work team can be stressful and the HR team works with managers to fill open positions with qualified employees as quickly as possible. We will share your feedback and other concerns with the management team.

"Sales and Editorial Representative"

I worked at Pearson full-time

Pros

You can come in and 10 and leave at 4:30 most days. Very very slow paced job leaves lots of time for work like balance.

Cons

Nobody has any idea what's happening. There is actually a way for you to project your upcoming campaigns intelligently rather than relying on some archaic methods from the 90s. As a whole, the company is going downhill and is so huge that all the big endeavours are happening too slowly, and you can feel it when you work there. Pearson is going to continue to decline and that's an uneasy feeling to have when you're employed there.

February 7, 2018Digital Engagement Manager

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. As I’m sure you were aware when you were employed here, our company is undergoing a large transformation to better serve our customers. These changes can be difficult for employees and we have been working hard to stay transparent in our communication so all team members understand where we are headed together and can offer suggestions to make improvements. We aim to become an innovative lifelong education partner that empowers teachers and learners to achieve their goals in school, work and life.

"Probably the worst company I have ever had the pleasure to work at"

I worked at Pearson full-time

Pros

Good health benefits but only in Canada.

Cons

No appreciation whatsoever to their employees. It is like a huge boys club. If you know how to talk big, you'll be the fav of the month. A huge amount of turnarounds. Especially in the Marketing department as the leadership of the department is basically somebody only cares about the bottom-line. People were leaving left and right ever since he was promoted.

February 2, 2018Digital Engagement Manager

Thank you for your candid feedback. Our company is in the midst of an ongoing transformation to better serve our customers with effective and accessible digital solutions. During this period of change, employees might understandably feel uneasy and we hate to see valued employees leave. As a company we are working to get better at being a transparent organization--communicating pertinent information through our intranet, Town Halls, and management--so everyone understands how they help realize the broader company goals through their work.

"Shameful culture and business model"

Former Employee - Enrollment Advisor in Toronto, ON

I worked at Pearson full-time for more than a year

Pros

Paycheck twice a month. A lunch is permitted. Unlimited bathroom breaks. Parking lot is useful and also very close to the Gym. Decent benefits overall.

Cons

This place is designed to be a revolving door. Imagine a place where sales people are ‘not allowed’ to earn commission, and are eligible for a 2% raise at the end of the year. Advancement is close to impossible. Micro-management high and the lowest pay possible. Hands down, worst place I’ve ever worked.

Found 3751 reviews