Panda Express Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Panda Express Co-CEOs Andrew and Peggy Cherng
Andrew and Peggy Cherng

1,449 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Free food and growth up opportunity (in 211 reviews)

• good pay with them in the company (in 134 reviews)

Cons
  • Hard to maintain a work life balance (in 101 reviews)

• There is no work life/home life balance (in 41 reviews)

1. "Fantastic food to be added to the North,staff is always smiling, reaady to serve,Love it rates a 10."

Pros

The training you get to serve the public, is a big plus. well worth them teaching you learning.

Cons

I have never had the pleasure of being introduced to Panda Exress, but am sure glad I have now.

Advice to Management

Doing a great job, Keep it up.

2. "Fun but..."

I have been working at Panda Express part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Best team ever
    - Free food
    - Employee Discount

Cons

- Been there three years and refuses to pay me past min wage.
    - incompetent manager
    - not allowed to book time off, has to find people to cover shifts.

Advice to Management

Maybe learn how to do your job so that you're not relying on your employees and assistant manager to do everything for you.

3. "Cashier"

I have been working at Panda Express part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Competitive wage, nice coworker, discount for coworker and one free lunch or dinner

Cons

too tired, too tired, high work load

5. "Dont work here."

Current Employee - Counter Help in Calgary, AB
    Current Employee - Counter Help in Calgary, AB

I have been working at Panda Express part-time

Pros

Free food when working, 20% discount. Coworkers are really friendly, decent pay

Cons

Managers are rude, dont care much about you. They stress you out and make you feel horrible when you make a mistake.

Advice to Management

Be nicer, stop making us feel horrible.

6. "It was good, nice and clean atmosphere and not too demanding work"

Former Employee - Front of House in Edmonton, AB
    Former Employee - Front of House in Edmonton, AB

I worked at Panda Express part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really good food and meet a lot of cool
    People. Lunch breaks came with free food and was a very interesting job

Cons

can be hard work, can be very loud, had to clean a lot of dishes if your new, sometimes can get overwhelmed

7. "Manager"

Pros

Try to hold high standards. Fast faced and challenging environment. Doesn't get boring. Free meals. Ok pay.

Cons

Unethical and bias middle management. They discriminate and use their power to take advantage of associates Most managers are concerned about looking good as to doing the right thing. Not impressed!

Advice to Management

Need to get rid of middle management and start a new and really start caring about their people. Be true to the company's policies, culture, and values.

8. "Hard Work"

Former Employee - Restaurant General Manager
    Former Employee - Restaurant General Manager

I worked at Panda Express full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

opportunity for growth, great medical benefits, training provided

Cons

no work/life balance, long hours, hard job and very demanding

9. "Good first job opportunity.. not so great for long-term"

I have been working at Panda Express part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free food on breaks, easy training,

Cons

This company focuses so much on "values" and the "panda way" which all doesn't make very much sense to me. Simply put into words: it's Americanized Chinese fast food. Very meticulous job. Closing was horrendous. You're required to stay 2-3 hours after your shift technically ends to clean up. Even with day shifts, you're expected/required to stay usually 1 hour past your schedule which isn't very fair. Pay is good but not for the amount of labour and hard work you go through per day. Although we surpassed our daily goal many times, I was never given a "bonus" like they said. Overall, it's a good first job experience but I can't imagine myself working here long term. It's hard work, it's tedious, many of the customers are rude (especially to fast food workers) and there is A LOT of cleaning.

Advice to Management

Focus more on employee input rather than "The Panda Way" or "The 2020 Vision".. all bs if you ask me.

10. "Progressively gets worse"

Current Employee - Counter Help

I have been working at Panda Express part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co-workers are wonderful to be around with, customers are usually agreeable, free food.

Cons

When I first started, Panda was opening a new store and the orientation program taught us that it would be a safe and empowering environment. I was so, so wrong. Not only are the managers quite rude, but it's extremely hard work for little benefit. I get it, it's fast food, I have no problem with working very hard to get results, but it wouldn't kill them to have recognition for the hard work given.

Not only that, but the organization of the store is awful. We are constantly understaffed, and now that we have hired new people the ones that have been working since the beginning have very little hours. Not that it's a bad thing to hire more people, but instead of giving less hours to everyone, how about having three BOH and three FOH to close so Panda can spend much less on salary? For about 3 months I only worked once a week for 4 hours, and I had to continually beg a manager to give me more hours. Since I have proved my worth, I assumed that maybe my hours would stay the same, but nope. I am part time so I ask for 15-25 hours but some weeks it would be barely four and some weeks it will be over forty. Managers ask for continuity in availability but why do I work one day Monday and then the next week I work four days? It's impossible to make plans beforehand even if you give them two weeks notice because they will probably forget even if you sent emails and texts.

The store is being criticized by customers not because of how hard we work, but how UNDERSTAFFED we are. We need more than two BOH and two FOH! All co-workers dread closing shifts because we end at 12 to 1 am even though the store closes from 9pm to 10pm. There is no continuity with hours, it will always be different and I've come to accept it but this is ridiculous. There is a reason why more than half of the people who have originally started to work for this store have quit. If Panda Express spent more time organizing the restaurant than testing co-workers on the EXACT wording of the mission, values, etc. then this restaurant would succeed a lot more.

Advice to Management

Stop yelling at us so much that it makes us stressed every single day we come in. It's not that we don't work hard enough, it's that we are so nervous about working that we end up making mistakes. Customers do not care about a piece of gum on the driveway. If upper management wants to visit, please stop asking us to clean every inch of the restaurant while customers constantly come in. It won't work unless you want all of us to work overnight, but then again that would mean spending more money.

11. "Working"

Current Employee - Cook in Edmonton, AB
    Current Employee - Cook in Edmonton, AB

I have been working at Panda Express full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free food, Opportunity for growth

Cons

Becoming a Macdonalds type, cookie cutter

Advice to Management

Focus on individuals

Showing 1,449 of 1,463 reviews