Palantir Technologies Employee Reviews about "growing pains"

Updated Mar 14, 2018

3.8
Palantir Technologies Co-Founder and CEO Alex Karp
Alex Karp
Pros
  • "Smart people who care about the mission(in 34 reviews)

• "Palantir is a place makes the rest of Silicon Valley look like it is working on toy train sets(in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • "Consuming and work life balance can be hard to maintain if you don't stand up for yourself(in 69 reviews)

• "tons of the usual growing pains(in 23 reviews)

Reviews about "growing pains"

Return to all Reviews

"Challenging and fulfilling"

Current Employee - Site Reliability Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Palantir Technologies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

SREs have the ability to work on almost anything in the company, whether it be working directly with a customer in the field or embedding within a product development team to improve the infrastructure and reliability of our products. The tech stack is incredibly complex and consists of a lot of open source and proprietary systems, there is a lot of opportunity to grow technically as a result. SREs have the freedom to operate autonomously and are often encouraged to innovate in a lot of different ways.

Cons

The company is growing quite rapidly, which is a very good thing. But there are some growing pains to overcome.

"Opportunity to grow"

in New York, NY

I have been working at Palantir Technologies

Pros

You get to be a part of the most interesting work you will find. The company is still growing like crazy, which means you get to grow with it.

Cons

Growth is a double edged sword if you can't handle the accompanying growing pains.

"Nothing stopping you from unlocking your potential"

Current Employee - Hammer in New York, NY

I have been working at Palantir Technologies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- I came to Palantir via craigslist to basically build desks. Within a year, I was building offices around the world (at 24 years old no less). Five years later, I get to squash problems all over the business. At Palantir, there is nothing stopping you from doing truly impactful things. - The best idea is the only one that wins and if you are smart, dedicated, and flexible that concept can lead to you actualizing your full potential. These people do not pay normal corporate lip service to growth, they focus on it relentlessly. All you need to have is the courage to try, fail, and learn. Trust me, it is worth it. You will never be more challenged in your life. - This is the only tech company that has real mission impact. If you want to sell billboards (aka if a business relies on ad revenue, guess what it is? A billboard company), drink smoothies, and work 9-5 every day, I'll save you some time. Don't work here. To be clear, our smoothies are quite awesome. However, Palantir is actually trying to solve the world's hardest problems, not just saying that to get recruits. That means you're going to have to be dedicated to crushing it. It'll be demanding but if you want your work to mean something, this is the place for you.

Cons

No cons. Just kidding :). - Rapidly growing company = tons of volatility = tons of the usual growing pains. - As the company gets bigger, we are loosing some of the magic. - Lack of structure/hierarchy can be extremely frustrating - If you need to be told what to do... you probably shouldn't work here. Guidance usually only comes after you try something, self reliance is king. - Rabid about transparency which means the whole place is like a firehose of information, which makes it very hard to navigate. Once you figure it out though, super easy to swim.

Continue reading

"Great place to learn how to build a startup"

Current Employee - Forward Deployed Engineer in Tokyo

I have been working at Palantir Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

- You will work with some of the smartest folks in the industry (and also some of the hardest working). - You will get exposed some of the hardest/interesting problems with some of the most influential companies in the world. - You will be thrown into the deep end -- the amount of autonomy you will be given can be scary but I classify this as a good thing as you will grow extremely fast at the company. - The company is very generous about providing benefits to the employees. If there is something you need to work more efficiently or something to make it easier to focus on your work, the company is comfortable providing said benefit to you. - Palantir employees are some of the best executors on the planet. If you want to learn how to build software (a company) from the ground up, this is probably one of the best training grounds in the world (outside of doing your own startup).

Cons

As you are working on some of the hardest problems in the world, work/life balance is subpar. A lot of your closest friends will be working at the company and therefore you often spend a lot of time at work (could be considered a good thing or a bad thing) Palantir is going through a lot of growing pains with global growth. Communication with remote office is improving but is still a work in progress. - Since Palantir is a bunch of mini-Palantir's around the world (i.e. most offices can make decisions on their own), information sharing is subpar and a lot of work gets redone or a lot of the same pain is felt across the company.

"Good place to gain experience"

I have been working at Palantir Technologies

Pros

Working with great people, lots of responsibilities, doing really interesting work

Cons

Company still trying to figure itself out, lots of experimentation, growing pains of a large startup

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Site Reliability Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Palantir Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great place to work with amazing and talented people.

Cons

Low salary and compensation with some growing pains.

7. "Fabulous Internship Experience"

Product Quality Engineer Intern in Urbana, IL

I worked at Palantir Technologies for less than a year

Pros

Palantir has an awesome, awesome work culture, and an excellent internship experience. I felt very valued as an intern. A whole world of opportunities opens up to you after you have Palantir on your resume!

Cons

Palantir is suffering lots of growing pains and a bit of disorganization, but I'm sure that this will be sorted out.

"Making a difference, culture is amazing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Petaluma, CA

I have been working at Palantir Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- I've been in other companies that put a lot of spin behind actually getting things done, and how much they have achieved regarding real world problems. Palantir actually just does this, without all the hype. - You can do anything you put your mind to & don't mind working to achieve. - You will be pushed outside your comfort zone on a regular basis. - Culture is amazing. - Perks are abundant.

Cons

- Work/Life balance can be a challenge at times. Comes in waves, but this should be expected in any growing company in my opinion. - As with growth comes growing pains. Palantir has actually managed this fairly well over the years though.

"Rewarding and challenging"

Current Employee - Site Reliability in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Palantir Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

Interesting work and very challenging. Work with some real cool clients. My job is impactful and my colleagues understand that. They hire the best and it shows. Comes with all your typical startup perks...food, laundry, pool table, xbox.

Cons

It's a startup and can seem chaotic. But those are part of growing pains and it's understandable.

Continue reading

"Tech company truly making a difference!"

Current Employee - Site Reliability Tech Ops in Washington, DC

I have been working at Palantir Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

We work with some of the most important institutions in the United States (and the world at large, for that matter). The company remains mission-driven, with a sense of purpose and ethics that is, to my experience, unparalleled in the tech sector. You do feel like you're making a difference in the world when you work here. Fellow employees are smart, interesting, and humorous. It combines the best of a non-profit (ethics, mission focus) with the best of Silicon Valley (talent, focus, drive, individuality as opposed to institutionality).

Cons

Work-life balance can be tough to maintain, as weekly hours can vary highly, especially among the client-associated work (Forward Deployed Engineer, Mission Specialist, Site Reliability, etc). Some weeks you work 50 hours, some weeks you work 70. The company continues to suffer from growing pains--as we expand rapidly, we're forced to implement more leadership structure and compartmentalization than we've had in the past. While this is being recognized and handled as transparently as possible, there are nonetheless issues associated with it, and for people that have previously worked in small, laid-back startups it can feel a bit more structured/hierarchical than they'd like; I will say for me it still feels far less hierarchical than just about any other company I've worked for, especially outside Silicon Valley. Given the company's dedication to change, things feel like they are constantly in flux, whether it's the location of your office desk or the direction of product development. Sometimes the logic behind decisions can remain opaque unless you go searching for the answer. I've never been a fan of the way we handle employee departures--it's generally a quiet affair with little notification for those besides management and the employee--and despite continued complaints about it from employees, it's something that has failed to improve as much as I'd like. Given the types of clients we work with, especially in the government, we can't always move as fast as we'd like, whether that means adopting "cloud" technology, completely changing the structure of our software, or something as simple as EOL'ing a software feature. This also means we often have dull/repetitive/less "hot" tech and tech debt tasks. As an engineer, you'll end up doing a mix of 'cool product development' and more mundane tasks like scripting and data integration/cleaning, something that's different about the stage of our company versus a startup or webapp-based company. It also means, as an engineer, you have to work harder to keep growing, especially outside the bounds of our software architecture.

Found 23 reviews