Palantir Technologies Software Engineer Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2020

4.1
Palantir Technologies Co-Founder and CEO Alex Karp
Alex Karp

"Smart folks, fast-paced, and self-driven."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Palantir Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

Your coworkers are going to be incredibly competent. I've been here for a year and a half and I haven't yet encountered a coworker who wasn't good at their job. The culture is very fast-paced, sorta feels like early Facebook's "move fast and break things". If you're self-motivated and enjoy ambiguous high-impact problems, Palantir is for you. In all things, Palantir minimizes process. You get to define how things get done, and it's up to you to make it happen. If you enjoy a lot of structure/process, Palantir will probably be really painful.

Cons

The culture is really fast-paced/intense. If you're bad at taking time off/unplugging from work (and most Palantirians are), Palantir won't stop you from overworking. For this reason, there's a good amount of burnout. The culture also is built around being a self-starter. It's not okay to be blocked by other people, and you'll be expected to think outside of the box to solve problems and get yourself unblocked. If you don't like ambiguous/difficult problems, you're going to have a bad time. If you're bad at unplugging from work, you're going to have a bad time.

Continue reading

"Ultra-high-growth tech company with organizational challenges"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Palantir Technologies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Brilliant co-workers, access to clients/projects that typically require decades of experience, no-nonsense culture that rewards action and mission orientation.

Cons

Flat company structure that can be difficult to navigate without some political savvy, negligible training/mentoring (mostly trial-by-fire), small leadership with inconsistent performance.

3. "Great people, job feels boring at times"

Current Employee - Forward Deployed Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Palantir Technologies full-time for less than a year

Pros

I met some of the smartest people i've seen in my life at Palantir. They're really great, mostly down to earth. The pay is well above UK market

Cons

Some segments of the business can be political. The job isn't very technically challenging.

"Good place to work for enterprise software development"

Current Employee - Forward Deployed Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Palantir Technologies full-time

Pros

* Good and smart colleagues * Working on important problems, that makes a difference in the world

Cons

* Problems to work on are not always super technically challenging. It usually requires more on the communication, planning, and expectation management side.

5. "Great place with amazing people"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Palantir Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great coworker who make work fun

Cons

Could probably be more flexible

Continue reading

"Amazing company with amazing opportunities to grow"

Current Employee - Forward Deployed Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Palantir Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

From day one you get exposed to challenging problems and you help important institutions solve them by using data. Great company mission. It's easy to move from team to team and learn about different industries. Amazing perks. Every person I have met is interesting and brilliant. I love going to work every day.

Cons

Not a great relationship with media (we don't really have any). There's a lot of false/wrong information out there about our work and not a lot being done to fix that. People tend to get confused with what we do or why we work with certain customers.

Continue reading

"Good place for great engineering!"

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Palantir Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Interesting clients, good pay, interesting problems

Cons

Travel, reputation, career progression, location

"Highly Toxic Company. Avoid."

1.0
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Palantir Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are a lot of hard problems that we try to solve. But that is becoming less the case over time.

Cons

- Toxic company. New hires do most of the heavy lifting - This is a consulting company. You are not working for a software company. - No product roadmap. No product strategy. - Extremely political. You fight the big guys you are out. - Loudest voice wins. Always. (contrary to palantir claims) - Average age: 25, standard deviation of 2 years. 90+% of employees under 32. In short, kids leading a boat. - Cost cutting now that company is trying to IPO. No housing subsidy, less interesting pay, worse software quality, highly questionable cost cutting techniques / strategies. Corp cards for everyone (extravaganza) but cost cuts to product development. - People compete to “who will stay longest in office” as a cool thing. That’s because most employees, while extremely talented, have little to no social life outside of work. If you do, you’re losing that game. - Arrogance. Plenty of it. Masked in fake modesty.

"Challenging place to work, in good and bad ways"

Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Palantir Technologies full-time

Pros

Engineers that are talented both technically and in terms of product intuition, very difficult and important application areas.

Cons

Working long hours is necessary for job advancement. Difficult to speak about your technical work publicly, which makes it hard to be part of the broader engineering community.

"A good place to learn engineering practices, difficult to rise through the ranks"

Former Employee - Lead Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Palantir Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Interesting engineering problems, collaborative work environment, good pay & benefits

Cons

Rising through the ranks relies on internal politics & networking

Found 48 reviews