Palantir Technologies Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Found 37 reviews

4.5
Palantir Technologies CEO Alex Karp
Alex Karp

"Challenging place to work, in good and bad ways"

Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Palantir Technologies full-time

Pros

Engineers that are talented both technically and in terms of product intuition, very difficult and important application areas.

Cons

Working long hours is necessary for job advancement. Difficult to speak about your technical work publicly, which makes it hard to be part of the broader engineering community.

Palantir Technologies2019-07-30

"A good place to learn engineering practices, difficult to rise through the ranks"

Former Employee - Lead Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Palantir Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Interesting engineering problems, collaborative work environment, good pay & benefits

Cons

Rising through the ranks relies on internal politics & networking

Palantir Technologies2019-07-07

"Extremely exciting place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Palantir Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Incredible colleagues - Fast pace - High impact

Cons

- Requires everyone to be self-driven, so if you're not naturally that way, it can be a difficult place

Palantir Technologies2019-06-05

"Great place to work, love the perks!"

Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Palantir Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

I learned how to code on the internet about 2 weeks before they hired me, and was still able to have a great experience! I was surrounded by people of similar experience levels so we were all able to learn together.

Cons

The kitchen operations analysts didn't appropriately plan for my gluten sensitivity, and they offered genetically modified food! NOT acceptable.

Palantir Technologies2019-01-17

"Best intern experience out there"

Current Intern - Forward Deployed Software Engineer Intern in Washington, DC

I have been working at Palantir Technologies for less than a year

Pros

- Mission, the impact this company has and the impact you can create as intern is amazing. You immediately work on hard and important problems, no side projects to keep interns busy. You're treated as a full-time employee for the most part. - Culture, the people are among the friendliest and smartest out there. You can ask anyone for help. Further, from the constant internal dialogues, you can tell the company is... ethically-minded and pursues success with integrity. - Support system, mentor/lead/team/recruiter are all actively helping you make the internship a great experience. If there's a problem, you can raise it and it will be addressed. - Personal growth, you're given a voice in what you want to do and what skills you want to improve. - Travel, we had the opportunity to travel across and out of the country as interns. - Perks, the free housing, 3 meals a day, the haircuts, the massages, etc. make life quite comfortable. - Intern cohorting, interns in an office got to know each other pretty well and we've become friends throughout the internship. This is just my experience, but my experience isn't uncommon from what I can tell. - Compensation, one of the highest out there.

Cons

- Finding your own work-life balance, because of the flexible hours, it can be difficult to find a balance that works for you when you see coworkers arriving/leaving at vastly different hours. With that said, I didn't feel any pressure to work late or get in early. It's just a matter of doing what's best for you and communicating that.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing because it's working

Palantir Technologies2018-08-16
  6. "Challenging, exciting, dynamic environment"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Palantir Technologies full-time for less than a year

Pros

Smart talented people who constantly think out of the box

Cons

None that i can think of

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Palantir Technologies2018-04-01

"Be ready to be on your own"

Former Employee - Forward Deployed Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Palantir Technologies full-time for less than a year

Pros

Salary is great, benefits are amazing and they pretty much pay for everything

Cons

counterpart to having everything paid for you is that Palantir acts as if they own you and expect you to be working 24/7. Also, very little direction is given and you're expected to figure things out by yourself from the get go. And god forbid you ask for help as you will be seen as weak and inefficient. It's a soul crushing place that does not see workers as humans but merely as code monkeys.

Advice to Management

Stop acting as if you're the best. If you were, you would not require devs to work 70+ hours and shame them for wanting to have a life and not just a job.

Palantir Technologies2018-04-06

"Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Palantir Technologies full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work is super exciting and impactful

Cons

Lot of work and everyone is oversubscribed.

Palantir Technologies2017-10-15

"need better work life balance"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Palantir Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

really smart people around great culture(cult) and sense of mission

Cons

long work hours (top down pressure)

Advice to Management

ipo already please

Palantir Technologies2017-05-03

"Software Engineers - pay attention"

Former Employee - Forward Deployed Software Engineer in Washington, DC

I worked at Palantir Technologies full-time

Pros

Some (but not all) of the work the company does is incredibly exciting and impactful to real-world problems. Your co-workers will be smart, hard-working, and motivated. There's a very small number of companies in the DC area that offer catered food 3 times a day and have a speakeasy. The perks are real, and while they shouldn't be a deciding factor, they're definitely nice.

Cons

I was hired as a "Forward Deployed SOFTWARE Engineer". During the interview process, I asked what the difference was between this and a normal software engineering position, and was told "there's basically no difference". That response was untrue. I was further misled at least twice during the interview process, and one of my interviews apologized for lying to me during interviews after we both had left the company.... Any type of forward deployed position at Palantir bears very little resemblance to a normal "software engineering" position. Some people like the differences and others don't. Forward deployed engineering involves mostly deploying other people's code of varying quality and trying to shoehorn it into a place to solve a problem, then struggling desperately to keep it running. Also, trying to keep other people's earlier shoehorned solutions running. As of my departure in summer 2016, the DC office still has no real SE positions, though it does list them as openings. Be very cautious applying for one of these positions. I recommend asking every single person you talk to the following questions: * If hired, what PRODUCT will I be working on? (they will probably try not to answer - you can interpret that response however you like) * How many products are developed in this office, and where are they used? How big are the development teams? * How many product managers are in the office? * What does the development/release cycle look like for the product I will be working on? * Will I be working on a client site? OR What are the travel requirements for this position? Basically, try to ask very SE-specific questions about the job you're applying for. Be critical about analyzing the responses. But seriously, if you want to do software engineering, do yourself a favor and don't go to work at Palantir in DC. London, New York, and Palo Alto all have supported and stable engineering teams as of summer 2016. The company also suffers from systemic poor leadership, which creates a political, distrusting environment that said leadership refuses to believe exists. This isn't necessarily a dealbreaker though, just something to be aware of. I ranked culture & values low, because while Palantir has a great cultural manifesto, it's almost 100% not reflective of conditions inside the company. Palantir has a culture of disrespecting customers, which made me uncomfortable. Finally, there's definitely a subculture of people expecting employees to be in the office a lot. I think even people who are on site all the time suffer from a public perception that they're not "spending enough time in the office".

Advice to Management

Stop hiring software engineers to not do software engineering. Don't lie to prospective candidates about their job duties. Consider hiring some people who have demonstrated excellence in leadership, and actually let them be leaders and make decisions.

Palantir Technologies2016-09-19