Palantir Technologies Reviews

Updated Jun 26, 2020

3.8
Palantir Technologies Co-Founder and CEO Alex Karp
Alex Karp
Pros
  • "Smart people who care about the mission(in 34 reviews)

• "Palantir is a place makes the rest of Silicon Valley look like it is working on toy train sets(in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • "Consuming and work life balance can be hard to maintain if you don't stand up for yourself(in 69 reviews)

• "tons of the usual growing pains(in 23 reviews)

1. "Palantir review"

I have been working at Palantir Technologies

Pros

One of the main reasons many folks, including myself, continue to work at Palantir is due to the impact that we can have on incredibly challenges problems spaces. If you spend 5 minutes with anyone here, you'll realize that the problems we're attempting to work on are important at a categorically different scale (in terms of importance and impact) when compared to other places I've worked.

Cons

Since the environment is so unique and empowering, it can be frustrating when you encounter bureaucrats and other low-vision counterparts on your respective deployments. That may sound like a high-ego answer, but it really can be tiring switching between different environments and having to fight red tape on a regular basis.

"Forward Deployed Engineer"

Former Employee - Forward Deployed Engineer

I worked at Palantir Technologies full-time

Pros

Lots of travel Opportunity to interact with clients Standard Silicon Valley perks, even outside of Silicon Valley Everyone here is hard-working (but read below!) Extremely good marketing

Cons

Internal politics is difficult to maneuver across the commercial umbrella. Teams have complex, implicit structures while leadership claims that teams are flat. Emphasis is put on aesthetics and impressiveness over utility in certain teams, and especially in early teams ("pilots"). Little opportunity for software development. This is not usually a software development role. Little opportunity for analytics. This is not usually a data science role. In many teams 60 hours is the norm, not the exception. Quality and morale suffer. Palantir is not a startup -- there is no "lottery ticket", so 60 hours should not be the norm. Work is client-specific, and is not usually challenging, innovating, or exciting. There is little room for learning/growth. Certain teams could be more collaborative and open. I had to go out of my way to get constructive feedback here than at other similar companies. Many of these same teams do not have knowledge of the areas they work in, and are proud of their ignorance. Palantir insists it has a flat corporate structure. It exists, it's just implicit. The pro-bono work Palantir highlights is not indicative of the work most people do. Though Palantir is also not as evil as some people seem to think... Pay for full-time positions is below market rate.

Continue reading

"It was really really good"

I have been working at Palantir Technologies

Pros

Lots of smart people to learn from and people are not scary. Lots of interesting work and many people have different backgrounds.

Cons

No cons except if you are scared of everyone then it might be bad since one cannot talk to anyone which would affect performance

"Good perks, full-time employees need to get over themselves"

2.0
    Current Employee -

I have been working at Palantir Technologies full-time

Pros

Good food Intelligent people to work with Nice space Friendly

Cons

Middle management is a mess. There has been many unnecessary conflicts due to incompetence in middle management. Workers are extremely full of themselves and must always emphasize that they are the "best". QE feels the need to emphasize their "importance" while devs blame their errors on others. I repeat; devs are always blaming others!!! While there are great people at Palantir, there are also cliques that like to "party hard and go drinking" and brag about it in the workplace quite obnoxiously.

"Frustratingly chaotic"

Current Employee - Deployment Strategist in London, England

I have been working at Palantir Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good salary, rewarding altruistic projects

Cons

Disorganized, no training or growth, poor communication, rapidly changing for the worse

"Great Place to Develop"

Current Employee - Deployment Strategist in New York, NY

I have been working at Palantir Technologies full-time for less than a year

Pros

A ton of autonomy from day one Opportunities for meaningful impact Great people, independent thinkers

Cons

0 handholding, have to be comfortable figuring things out yourself; only good for a certain type of person People don't understand what we do

"Immature Leadership And Shady Layoffs"

2.0
    Current Employee - FDE in New York, NY

I have been working at Palantir Technologies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great people. Everyone you work with is smart and scrappy. I went to an Ivy League and most everyone else did as well. Overall the culture is humble and hard working. I genuinely believe what we do makes the world a safer, better place though coming from someone with immigrant parents there are times when our work tows the line of what I personally support. That being said, I believe a lot of this lies in the nature of most government contracts. Leads are hit or miss. I’ve had really good ones but lead training is amateur at best. Performance reviews don’t exist so there’s a lot of he said/she said with handoffs. Your upward trajectory depends heavily on your lead and advocating for yourself. Benefits are top notch. Perks are good but expect those to continue to be cut as we cut costs. Pay is competitive. Catered food and snacks in NY office is legit.

Cons

Recent layoffs have most questioning the direction and effectiveness of leadership. Many of my friends on events, recruiting, and operations were laid off without notice. I heard they lost access to their laptops same day without being able to hand off work or say goodbye. Leadership said “downsizing” was due to decreased hiring goals but they let go some of the best who I know had active work. Individuals who started long before me that were here 5-10 yrs. A lot of top performers that made positive change at Palantir in advocating for diversity and working with engineering. They laid off leads but kept newer hires. The logic seems to be about short term bottom line. Most of us can’t wrap our heads around how they picked who they did unless it’s in preparation for an exit. My recruiter friends told me even the recruiters feel the same. No one knows who’s next. Leadership said at a townhall that they worked with the downsized individuals looking for other positions they could rotate to but I heard this isn’t true. When leadership is repeatedly asked about diversity, female leadership, and the lay offs, nothing gets a real answer. They sent an email about the recruiting layoffs with reasoning that didn’t tie to the people that were let go. Growing tired of the same old story. A lot of people talking about leaving though there’s talk of IPO. Karp is a ticking time bomb. Treated like royalty at our office in NY but everyone is walking on eggshells waiting for the next egregious comment he’ll make to the media or an all hands.

"Great opportunity"

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Palantir Technologies full-time

Pros

Good compensation Challenging and innovative work

Cons

Work is getting controversial recently

"Haven for the mission driven"

Current Employee - Site Reliability Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Palantir Technologies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Strong mission focus, interesting problems to solve, solid benefits package.

Cons

Lots of signs that Palantir is trending towards an IPO. Expect spending and perks to be cut in the next couple years. Consuming and work life balance can be hard to maintain if you don't stand up for yourself.

"Ultra-high-growth tech company with organizational challenges"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Palantir Technologies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Brilliant co-workers, access to clients/projects that typically require decades of experience, no-nonsense culture that rewards action and mission orientation.

Cons

Flat company structure that can be difficult to navigate without some political savvy, negligible training/mentoring (mostly trial-by-fire), small leadership with inconsistent performance.

Found 329 reviews