PagerDuty Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Jun 14, 2020

4.5
PagerDuty CEO Jennifer Tejada
Jennifer Tejada
Pros
  • "Work/Life balance is 100% there, for me at least(in 20 reviews)

• "Good management who are always open to new ideas, catered lunch, great people with lots of enthusiasm, helpful mentorship(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "Growing pains as the company scales(in 14 reviews)

• "The company is growing quickly and we're far past the point of being able to know all the people and what they're working on(in 12 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews

"Love working here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at PagerDuty full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Love the values we have and are encouraged to embody such as taking the lead. - Lots of autonomy and great opportunities for growth. - Great Work/Life Balance. - Great supportive culture. No finger pointing or blaming. Truly feel like I work in a team. - Amazing place to get experience with proper engineering practices - PagerDuty has become an industry leader when it comes to that. - Down to earth CEO with great energy and passion. - Free catered lunches everyday (+ breakfast on Wednesday) and lots of snacks!

Cons

No clear cons that are noteworthy

November 5, 2019Talent Acquisition Coordinator

We love that you are working here too! We are so happy that our company values reasonate with you, and that our leadership and culture here at PagerDuty give you the confidence to take the lead in your work. Along with fun perks and great benefits, we are definitely proud that all of our Dutonians trust and support each other, and create a friendly and inclusive work environment. As we continue to grow communication will be essential in ensuring our success., and we will definitely share your insights with our leadership team. Thank you again for taking the time to share your review!

2. "Highly Recommend working at PagerDuty!"

Current Employee - Customer Service in Toronto, ON

I have been working at PagerDuty full-time for more than a year

Pros

-your voice is heard -great work life balance with the flexibility to experiment and try something new -Work with a diverse team and collaborate with others extensively -Great pay and benefits (includes daily lunches and snacks) -Opportunity to grow into new roles

Cons

-no real cons if you like being in the tech industry working with an amazing product!

November 5, 2019Talent Acquisition Coordinator

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback! It's incredibly important to us that every Dutonian voice is heard. It's our team's amazing ideas and hard work that have gotten us to where we are, and will be what takes PagerDuty to another level. Thank you for being a part of our team!

3. "Great Culture and Autonomy"

Current Employee - People Team in Toronto, ON

I have been working at PagerDuty full-time for less than a year

Pros

Lots of autonomy Great Work/Life Balance Collaborative teams Proud culture - software devs building product for other software devs

Cons

None that I can pinpoint at the moment

November 5, 2019Talent Acquisition Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback! We are very proud to offer great work-life balance for our Dutonians, and know that this is an essential part in asking them to bring their best selves to work every day. We really appreciate all of your hard work and are so happy to have you with us on this journey as we continue to solve for what's next!

4. "Excellent Company"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Toronto, ON

I have been working at PagerDuty full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work life balance Great leadership Free lunches/amazing perks Culture focused

Cons

rapid growth brings new challenges

November 5, 2019Talent Acquisition Coordinator

Thanks so much for sharing your feedback! Our amazing leadership team has definitely led the way to ensure that even as we scale, that PagerDuty's culture remains fun, inclusive and open. This rapid growth has definitely brought with it new and exciting challenges for our team, and so now more than ever we are soidifying our best practices and focusing on communicating these across the organization.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at PagerDuty full-time for less than a year

Pros

A supportive, open, and growth oriented culture. Good work life balance. Great people to work with. Clear company goals and values. Being part of a growing and successful company.

Cons

As the company grows rapidly, processes need to keep up, but that is normal for a company at this stage and is progressing fine.

"Best place I've ever worked"

in Toronto, ON

I have been working at PagerDuty for less than a year

Pros

PagerDuty is a really great place to work. The work itself is interesting and the company growth is exciting. The company culture is encouraging and supportive. I'm working with smart, dedicated people who are helpful and invested in my success. With PagerDuty I feel like I am part of a team that succeeds or fails together. The culture embraces blameless retrospectives and focuses on accountability and constructive feedback. Senior management is incredibly transparent and approachable. The organization is supportive of my career goals and personal development. This is really the best place I've ever worked. There's lots to do and things are never slow, but work-life balance is quite good and there's a conscious effort to avoid 'on-call heroes' and make sure everyone gets the downtime they need. On top of all that there's great benefits, a fully stocked kitchen, catered lunch everyday, and lots of social activities inside and outside the office. I'm far from a new grad and PagerDuty is hands-down the best place I've ever worked. I really love it here!

Cons

I can't really think of any that are specific to PagerDuty. There are some challenges that every high-growth company faces as it expands. PagerDuty is tackling those challenges really well and it's very exciting to be a part of that.

"Great place to work!"

Software Engineer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at PagerDuty

Pros

- Smart people, but generally humble and collaborative - Interesting technical challenges - Willingness to experiment with new tech - Work-life balance (flexible hours, can work from home, etc.) - DevOps is really a thing here - you're on-call for what you build - Fun culture (free lunch, beer, company events) - Management that genuinely cares about employees - Leadership is trending in the right direction since new CEO joined - Opportunity for technical career advancement - Progressive company values - Generous training budget (conferences etc.) - I am genuinely happy to come to work every day.

Cons

- Varying technical debt between different teams - Org can be somewhat product-driven, at the expense of doing things right (this is a more recent change, and there are signs it might be correcting) - It seems that some engineering teams are under more pressure than others, leading to some recent turnover (also due to product focus) - Hiring is a bit of a mess recently, leading to understaffed teams

"Potential(ly) at risk"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at PagerDuty full-time for more than a year

Pros

Most PD employees are super nice and in general the company has tons of emotional intelligence. Lots of support for underrepresented groups, especially through employee resource groups. Good diversity stats compared to the industry and region (board and execs included). Managers go on-call too, not just line level workers. Work/life balance was quite reasonable, although it depends significantly on the team. Ask lots of questions about the on-call load for the specific team you're considering joining.

Cons

Strong tendency to cargo cult technical decisions and appeal to authority in discussions, probably exacerbated by.. Cultural fear of being wrong, caused by a small group in engineering who treat every interaction as a battle to be won. It wasn't uncommon for people to express fear of asking questions in certain channels out of fear one of these people (or their emulators) making them feel stupid. The engineering department probably wastes half its budget redoing work to use increasingly niche technologies as top engineers' interests meander. Most valuable stuff is owned by a team and a rotation, so if you're not a manager or lead, opportunities for individual ownership can be limited, which can make career growth challenging beyond early career.

Continue reading

"An empathic and fast-paced company"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at PagerDuty full-time for more than a year

Pros

Like every company, PagerDuty has its issues, but it does its best to listen to feedback from employees and quickly implement changes. In my opinion, the people who work at PagerDuty are genuinely kind, empathic, and do their best. In engineering and product, at least, there really are no tech bros which is saying a lot for being a tech company. Jenn, the CEO, is wonderful. She is constantly iterating on how best to share information with us and her energy always makes me more excited to work at the company. Work/Life balance is 100% there, for me at least. I'm never asked to work outside of working hours unless I'm on-call, and if I have a particularly busy on-call week my coworkers or manager are quick to acknowledge it and give me time off to rest. The company also does a good job of showing us how our work is impacting the lives of other people. Whether that's big, profitable customers using PagerDuty to add technology to their older business models, or small non-profits using PagerDuty for life-saving actions like suicide hotlines, PagerDuty makes sure we know how our work impacts our customers. I've been at PagerDuty for over 2.5 years and am so proud to be a Dutonian. Instead of letting people leave when they no longer want to stay in their original role, I've noticed PagerDuty works with employees to find a better fit for them within the organization. The company recognizes talent and wants to keep it and help it grow rather than let us move on to other companies with open roles that are more suited to our new interests. That, to me, is the sign of a company that cares about its people.

Cons

The company is growing quickly and we're far past the point of being able to know all the people and what they're working on. This can lead to duplicate work being done and a general feeling of siloing if you don't make an effort to talk to other teams.

Continue reading

"Great, merit-based culture; fantastic people"

Current Employee - Anonymous in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at PagerDuty full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Hands down, the people - Flexibility regarding your schedule - Hard work is recognized and rewarded - Amazing work-life balance I'm working with some of the most down-to-earth, smartest people I've ever worked with in my career. I learn from everyone daily, including my peers, my manager, and the executive team. This is probably team-dependent, but we have a lot of flexibility with regard to our schedule. As long as we're available for meetings and get our work done, no one cares what time you get to or leave the office, or whether you decide to work from home that day because you don't feel well or just don't feel like commuting to the office. Do I have to work weekends sometimes? Sure, but they don't happen often, and it's worth it for the overall flexibility. Which leads me to...sick days. HR and the exec team actually _encourages_ people to stay home and take sick days to rest up and heal when they're sick. They send out multiple reminders to ask people to stay home when sick. I've never worked at any other place where leadership actually encourages this sick policy. Best part is that your team will likely step in to cover for you and tell you to sign off and stop working while sick. Employees are recognized for their contributions here. There's an internal program where employees can publicly give thanks to other employees for their help or work, and it fosters a great culture. Reviews are 360, so it's not just employees being reviewed—managers are also given feedback on where they're doing well and where they can improve.

Cons

- Some underperformers are allowed to stay too long without being called out - Office location is a little inconvenient (but I suppose that's nitpicking) There needs to be a better system to recognize underperformers to help them improve. Otherwise, it places the burden on others on the team, potentially creating resentment and preventing the team overall from running on all cylinders. Nothing can be done about office location, but that's more the fault of public transportation being unreliable. But it's nice having schedule flexibility because that means there's rarely such a thing as being late to work.

Found 20 reviews